2015 Use Up The Stash Challenge: Session 3

oneastrocurlie

I am failing this challenge. I have bought some APB, Shea Moisture Professional, and Purification Masks from Curl Mart.
It's safe to say I have an addiction to buying hair products. I guess I will try again next session. I would say having braids will help, but shoot, if the sale is right I will buy then too.

Let us pray lol...

Please report back on that Shea moisture! @NaturallyATLPCH

CodeRed

Bought 3 Shealicious conditioners and 1 SheaMoisture Superfruit Hair Mask from Ulta with my 20% coupon. Planning on getting 2 more SheaMoisture masks to complete my collection (Tahitian Monoi and Jamaican Black Castor) when CVS or Walgreens has a buy one/get one sale. I finished the part of my stash I wanted to deplete for this challenge so now I guess I'll be re-upping for the next one :lol:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I am so late and behind. I made a place holder on the first page of this thread and never came back. :spinning: I have been working on and purchasing some products. I'll list everything I still have at the start of the second session.

I started with 78 produccts, used up 12 products, bought/gifted 6, and working on 5-6. Overall my stash has decreased so I'm happy.

I would upload pics but I don't know how to with the new forum software.

oneastrocurlie

Finished Jakeala Coconut Juice. I have another on the way but will knock out this Oyin Juices and Berries first. I'm about half way through that.

Oh and I have an onyx box coming with 4 full size products lol. One was already in a previous box and I gifted the first one to my mom. Another one is a repeat too so I'll have two of those. Might gift them both because I have no use for foaming mousse. The other two are new to me.

CodeRed

Ok, last purchase for hair: Walgreens had the buy one/get one 50% off for SheaMoisture and I got the Tahitian Monoi Masque and the Jamaican Castor Oil one. I also found the Hask Monoi Oil packets I was looking for and got two of those. I have everything on my wish list now... I'm not breaking any of these items open until the next challenge.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I just had an aha moment reading a post here. I thought I had to use up or at least give away all of my products, even if unwanted. Even though I've thrown away products once or twice, I still felt a little odd when I did it. Now I realize that if a product is garbage then that is where it should go. It certainly should not go in my hair, even it I did pay good money for it. Using up something that does no good, and possibly harm, just to say I used it is NOT productive.

That said, I'm throwing away my Elasta QP Reflect Sheen Spray. Not only do I hate the thought of using it and having to use it up, but I HATE how it smells.

Also used up a Daily Defense Tender Apple rinse out. 14 more to go.

And I'm taking amla oil off the Use It Up short list. Even though I probably won't repruchase, I do like how it works when I mix it with con and water to make a pre poo detangler. No point in rushing through it if it works for me just to say I used it up.

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I just had an aha moment reading a post here. I thought I had to use up or at least give away all of my products, even if unwanted. Even though I've thrown away products once or twice, I still felt a little odd when I did it. Now I realize that if a product is garbage then that is where it should go. It certainly should not go in my hair, even it I did pay good money for it. Using up something that does no good, and possibly harm, just to say I used it is NOT productive.

That said, I'm throwing away my Elasta QP Reflect Sheen Spray. Not only do I hate the thought of using it and having to use it up, but I HATE how it smells.

Also used up a Daily Defense Tender Apple rinse out. 14 more to go.

And I'm taking amla oil off the Use It Up short list. Even though I probably won't repruchase, I do like how it works when I mix it with con and water to make a pre poo detangler. No point in rushing through it if it works for me just to say I used it up.
Girl I was starting to think I was the only one that still had DDTA lol. I think I'm working on my last bottle finally.

I agree about throwing away products. I feel weird about it too. I've decided if it's something that works crappy for me or if I hate the smell I'm throwing it away. I give my mom some things but she doesn't use much and I don't know anyone else into hair.

I've been doing pretty well but if Annabelle's has another sale I'm afraid.

krissyhair

My oil mixture was getting low so I combined the rest of my coconut and lavender oils from my hair stash with olive and soybean oil from the kitchen to mix some more. That's two products down.

I also gave away my Nexxus leave in conditioner. I would rather share it with my classmate who is also natural. That's a total of 3 products down for the day, and 5 for the month including my last shampoo and leave in.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I had another realization. I was about to repurchase a product I ran out of in a category I don't feel I need anymore, just it of habit. When I realized I don't need it in my regimen I put it back on the shelf. I used up CON Argan Oil Intense con and won't be replacing it.

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Do you guys target certain items to get rid of? I'm trying to do this with some things but I'm so all over the place and I like variation plus I have so many things to try that it's hard for me. And then I get upset when I use something that isn't a product that I'm working on. I'm so all over the place that I feel like it'll take years for me to make progress if I don't focus on one thing at a time.

CodeRed

Do you guys target certain items to get rid of? I'm trying to do this with some things but I'm so all over the place and I like variation plus I have so many things to try that it's hard for me. And then I get upset when I use something that isn't a product that I'm working on. I'm so all over the place that I feel like it'll take years for me to make progress if I don't focus on one thing at a time.

I usually start with the stuff that's already open and has the least amount in it. After I got rid of all the open containers, I started with the stuff I thought was the oldest. The next session I'm going to start with the open stuff (which will probably only be one thing) and then go with products that are the smallest and work my way up to the bigger containers. I'm only able to do this because pretty much all I use is conditioner - rinse out and deep - it was and will be over 90% of my stash.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn

I usually focus on one thing and use it until the end. What throws me off most though is samples. I feel like I have to try them even if they will set me off my focused products for a few weeks.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I do. Like CodeRed I usually start with the open items with the least amount. While it drives me crazy wondering how an untried product will work on my hair, the thrill of empties, for me, is much greater. I had what I call a "Use It Up Short List" for this session and I've already gotten rid of (or moved in one case) everything on it. I've done so well I'm not sure I'll be able to have enough products next session to have a good short list.