Use Up Your Stash Challenge 2011 - Session II

faithVA

[USER=105443 said:
coyacoy[/USER];13989579]hello ladies! happy to report that I've been doing great so far in part II of the challenge:grin:. have managed to make the following progress:
- down to 1 bottle of GVP generic biolage (had 4 when challenge started)
- no more carols daughter hair butter (admittedly gave that away)
- also gave away what was left of Knot Today and Curl Custurd along with Curlis Curl Milkshake, Gel and butter! :yep: so happy about those because i really don't care for them and could not see myself using again
- 1 container (started with 2) of african black soap
- down considerably in the essenial oils supply - not enough to have to re-up tho
- just a quarter of YES to carrots condish remains
-finished off a bottle of kenra mc

still loving this challenge!!:rolleyes:

While using things up, have you found any new products you just love?

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I am using my Safflower Oil to do Oil Rinses so hopefully that will be gone within 2 months or before cause some will be mixed in my henna too.

coyacoy

hi faithVA - yes! found that i LOVE Bear Fruit Desert Castor Oil leave in condish! Gave it another try in an effort to use it up and realized that when using it previously my hair was too wet. It works much better on just damp hair, so this leave has gone from 'won't purchase again' to 'can't live w/o it'! funny how things happen that way.....just another reason that i love this challenge :yep:

While using things up, have you found any new products you just love?

coyacoy

LOL! it is great! have you tried any of the Bear Fruit products? i am so feelin those right now! they are pretty good with sales, also - i am hoping for another 30% off for labor day (they had 30% off for fourth of July last month and i missed it!:nono:)

The name of that sounded so wonderful I had to go look it up. :lol:

faithVA

LOL! it is great! have you tried any of the Bear Fruit products? i am so feelin those right now! they are pretty good with sales, also - i am hoping for another 30% off for labor day (they had 30% off for fourth of July last month and i missed it!:nono:)

No I haven't tried this. The longer I am in this challenge the less frequently I buy anything. And lately I have been regretting the things I have bought. :lol: But the products did look good.

greenandchic

Here's my current list. It looks like a lot, but I have a lot of products at less than 20% and I go though conditioners very fast. Stylers are the one thing I don't need and I tend to go through them slowly (had KCCC for a year now). I can use another shampoo or cleansing conditioner.

Still working on my categories.

Staples / Gave away/Threw out / Gone / Added / Not crazy about, wont repurchase

Shampoo
CON Argan Oil 12 oz - 90%

Conditioner
Curl Junkie Beauticurls 12 oz - 50%
Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix 8 oz - 90%
Hugo Naturals, Coconut 12 oz - 80%
Hugo Naturals, Vanilla & Sweet Orange 12 oz - 90%
Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle 16 oz - 80%
Suave Conditioner, Strawberry 22 oz - 60%
Aussie Moist Conditioner 13.5 oz - 100%

Leave In
Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion 12 oz - 50%
Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta 8 oz - 90%
Donna Marie Super Buttercreame 8oz - 100%
Oyin Hair Dew 12 oz - 10%

Styler
Curl Junkie CIAB 12 oz 80%
Andalou Naturals Styling Cream 6.8 oz - 85%
Curls Passion Fruit Control Paste 4 oz x2 - 1 at 10% and 1 at 100%
Fantasia IC Gel, 16 oz - 10%
Ecostyler Blue Gel 32oz - 40%
KCCC 8oz - 20%
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie 12 oz - 50%
Renpure Organics Leave-in Shine & Seal 5.5 oz[/COLOR] - 20%

Oils and Butters
Coconut oil, Dabir 500 ml - 30%
Coconut oil, Monoi Tiare Tahiti Vanilla 4 oz - 15%
Jojoba oil - 12 oz - 100%
Cocoveda Hair Oil 3.3 oz 20%
Vatika Oil 5 oz - 100%
Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade 4oz - 10%

Misc. Treatments
Jamila Henna 100g
Cassia 100g

Last edited:

faithVA

I used up the last of the Avocado oil when making unpetroleum jelly tonight. I threw out the Aloe and the gel/custards I made with it. No big deal. And I gave my castor oil to my mom who was making Shea Butter mixes. It was too heavy for me.

I'm adding to my stash a jar of Honey Wax that I am using to make unpetroleum jelly. I also bought a new bottle of sunflower oil. All of my other oils are really low and will be gone this weekend when I make up a new batch of my oil blend.

My goal is to have 10 products. Today I am at 11. I can see myself using up a few things before the end of the month. But Happily Natural day is right around the corner, so may be some major purchases there. We will see.

Hopefully the hair group will have a product swap soon so I can get rid of some of these products.

BreeNique

Boooo, I haven't used anything up in a while. But my ORS Replenishing Conditioner is feeling a little light...as in that huge Organix bottle...hm....
<3

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
My EcoStyler Gel is almost gone, but heck I need that. I just realized this as I was gelling my edges down. Imma just steal some my momma's that way I dont have to buy anything!

faithVA

My full jar of Shea Moisture Smoothie is going in the give away box. I tried it again on my hair yesterday and my hair looks soooo dull. I really knew it on the 1st jar but I had purchased it and wanted to use them. But I can't deal with my hair looking dirty 30 minutes after I shampoo it.

I am going to try applying a moisturizer and unpetroleum jelly on my twists so my gels are going to be on hold for a minute. But if I like it the garnier fructis pure gel may be going bye bye as well. But I will be holding onto the Joie Gel.

allmundjoi

My full jar of Shea Moisture Smoothie is going in the give away box. I tried it again on my hair yesterday and my hair looks soooo dull. I really knew it on the 1st jar but I had purchased it and wanted to use them. But I can't deal with my hair looking dirty 30 minutes after I shampoo it.

I am going to try applying a moisturizer and unpetroleum jelly on my twists so my gels are going to be on hold for a minute. But if I like it the garnier fructis pure gel may be going bye bye as well. But I will be holding onto the Joie Gel.

faithVA, what are you sealing SMCES with? I seal with castor oil and the shine is amazing.

faithVA

[USER=318055 said:
allmundjoi[/USER];14039397]@faithVA, what are you sealing SMCES with? I seal with castor oil and the shine is amazing.

When I used it yesterday I didn't seal. I don't usuallly seal with oil because, especially castor oil because its too heavy for my hair. I can oil rinse with castor oil but thats about it.

Previously I have used the Shea Moisture and I follow it with a gel because I am twisting. I may seal my ends but I don't seal the entire length. It's just too oil. It's just not a good match for my hair and my regimen.

allmundjoi

When I used it yesterday I didn't seal. I don't usuallly seal with oil because, especially castor oil because its too heavy for my hair. I can oil rinse with castor oil but thats about it.

Previously I have used the Shea Moisture and I follow it with a gel because I am twisting. I may seal my ends but I don't seal the entire length. It's just too oil. It's just not a good match for my hair and my regimen.

faithVA, sorry. Well, I guess gifting it is a good idea. :)

faithVA

[USER=318055 said:
allmundjoi[/USER];14039853]@faithVA, sorry. Well, I guess gifting it is a good idea. :)

It's cool. I am glad to let go of things that don't work. My shelf is so clear now. And the leave-in, unpetroleum jelly mix seems to be a winner.

Things are getting simpler and simpler and I love it.

NikkiQ

Haven't been in for an update in a while. Finished off my last bottle of AOHSR and now have moved onto AOWC. Also got rid of the Amla oil by doing one last oil rinse this past Sunday.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I been oil rinsing wkly with 1oz of Safflower oil and CWing with Aussie Moist.
Im bout to go mix this henna and see what I get out the way, hope to BRB!

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
One of the Henna powders are gone!

Shampoo
Crème of Nature Professional Detangling Shampoo (staple)
Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo (staple)
ApHogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair

Conditioner
Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship (staple)
Dollar General: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration
Aussie Moist Conditioner
Salon Care Honey and Almond Conditioner

ApHogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor (staple)
Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner
Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Conditioner
Protein DC mixture
Aussie 3 min miracle (2)
LeKair Cholesterol Plus (Will repurchase once I am done with the Protein DC mixture)

Leave-In/Moisturizer
GVP The Conditioner- Leave In Conditioner (Paul Mitchell) (2) (staple)
Mane ‘n Tail Detangler
Hawaiian Silky Miracle Worker 14 in 1
Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave-In Split End Protector (5)(staple)
Silk Elements Silken Child Moisturizing Crème
CHI Keratin Mist
African Royale BRX Braid & Extentsions Spray
Infusium 23 Repair & Renew Leave-In Treatment (staple)

Oil
African Royale Hot Six Oil
Safflower Oil
Coconut Oil
Wheat Germ Oil

Herbal & Ayurvedic Products
Amla Powder
Brahmi Powder
Indigo Powder
Henna Powder (4) (3 now)

Other
CHI Silk Infusion (2 bottles)
CHI 44 Iron Guard-----TRASH:nono:
KeraCare Foam Wrap Lotion
Motions Foam Wrap Lotion
French Stabilizer Plus
Ecostyler Clear Gel (staple)
Nexxus Emergencee (staple)

Last edited:

Beany

Just wanted to let you guys know I was in the first challenge, but didn't check in as I should have :nono: I was using my products though and my stash is so much better. I'm actually about to send a package to my cousin to get rid of a few more things. I have found 2 staples out of all that stash I had :lol: I'm not in the new challenge as my stash is so much better, but just wanted to encourage you guys to keep going :bouncy::bouncy:

faithVA

Just wanted to let you guys know I was in the first challenge, but didn't check in as I should have :nono: I was using my products though and my stash is so much better. I'm actually about to send a package to my cousin to get rid of a few more things. I have found 2 staples out of all that stash I had :lol: I'm not in the new challenge as my stash is so much better, but just wanted to encourage you guys to keep going :bouncy::bouncy:

Thanks for the update Beany

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
Used up mizani cleansing cream when I henna'd over the weekend. Will not repurchase - why you ask? I'll tell ya! Bought it months ago when I was transitioning, (now natural) was unsure about it then, but kept it, used a few times just to use. The bottle says apply a small amount. WRONG. Small amt gets you no where. Had 1/2 a bottle left figured I'll finish it. Using ALOT, produces a wonderful foamy lather. Got the henna out quickly. But this stuff definately is not moisturizing, which I think you should get from a cleansing cream.

greenandchic

Coconut oil, Monoi Tiare Tahiti Vanilla - Love the feel and smell. Will repurchase, but not in a hurry. Its hard to find on the ground. Vitacost.com has it...
Dabur Coconut Oil - I love it in oil rinses. Its a repurchase because its cheap from the Indian grocery stores, and I rather save the more expensive/health food store, virgin coconut oils for consumption.
Oyin Hair Dew - Staple; repurchase.

JJamiah

Haven't used up anything lately. I am using my Wen Cleansing Conditioner and it's not even half way I don't over kill.

I did get to open my One N Only Restorative Mask and use it. I likey :)
But Nada has a Dent in it to even talk about. Good thing is I didn't add to it ;) so that is a great thing.