Summer 2012 No Heat Challenge

jprayze

Good morning, I plan to wear this LF for the rest of wk, expect Friday. Friday I will be off work and that will give me some time to give my hair some TLC. Before Sat am, when I go into my next PS (see link)...I'm hoping that the stylist can accomplish this with no direct heat. Although she may need some for the bang. http://photos.essence.com/galleries/wear_to_work_hairstyles#1133523 Will keep this in at least 1 wk, maybe 2 depending on how it holds up. After that, I will probably use a heat pass just to see how much my hair has grown between PSing, No Heat, and my MN usage.

RemyRem

Hey Ladies!
I want to join this challenge. I know im kind of late but i just joined the forum.
I think I want to do a long term transition from relaxed to natural so this would be a great way to transition to using no heat.

Also i washed and did my hair last night and did my first bantu knot and air dried will post a pic a bit later.

Starting pic

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 15

RemyRem

My first Bantu Knot out :)

MangaManiac

I'm going to do this as well. More motivation for me to keep my hair in braids! Other than the C&G method I'm going to be exercising 3-6x/week, taking my vitamins, eating a mostly vegetarian rainbow diet, and applying a AVG/MN/Sulfur mix to my scalp nightly.

I'm only planning on using heat when I take my braids out to get them redone, which should only be a total of twice this summer!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I was about to sign up, only to find out I've already joined. D'oh!!

My hair's in modified cornrows right now. That's code for I-can't-cornrow-my-own-hair-so-I-did-the-best-i-can-and-made-mini-french-braids-but-they-pass-for-cornrows. :look:

Attaching my starting pics. I anticipate one flat iron next month for my family reunion. Other than that, it's too HOT to straighten my hair.

Attachments

• 2012-06-21-2.jpg
    2012-06-21-2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 2012-06-21160453.jpg
    2012-06-21160453.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 42

growbaby

It's officially been I month for me w/out heat, (personal challenge w/in this mini challenge lol) & I don't plan on using it any time soon. Most likely not until my BFF's bday at the end of July :yep:

isawstars

I'm still going strong! I put my hair in small twists yesterday. Because of all this humidity... I have no desire to use heat on my hair.

back2relaxed

Count me in. I've actually been doing this since May, but I try to do this whenever I'm in grow out mode, as I am now. My siggy pic is my old haircut. I'm trying to get to SL by October. I'm kinda in between now, and I find that cutting down or out on the heat, and the low manipulation styles really help my hair grow quickly. I don't know when I might use a heat pass b/c my lifestyle leaves me outside a lot of the time in the heat, so using heat or having straight styles is worthless. My regi is below:

1. Wash w/shampoo(CON Argan Oil) every week 1x, and cowash(cheapie cons) a minimum of 1x/week.
2. DC every wash, using Queen Helene Cholesterol or Elasta QP DPR-11
3. Apply leave ins,Chi Keratin Mist, Elasta QP H2, Chi Silk Infusion, Lacio Lacio, and now Garnier Length and Strength
4. Style depending on PS I'm using: I rotate between, phony ponys, buns, flexi rod sets, possibly wet wraps.
5. Relax at 12 weeks(end of August 2012)

I can already see a difference in my hair, so I'm excited to see what will happen by the end of the summer! Happy Growing.

Angelinhell

Okay, so I never reinstalled my twists. Hopefully I will next week, because I keep getting the urge to flatiron. I'm currently 6 weeks post relaxer.

CurlsBazillion

Used my pass on the 30th. Vowing not to use heat until December for the next HYH reveal. I will be giving myself a Sedu Iron for my bday in September so I may be tempted to press my hair then but then again I might just test it out on my a new wig, turn the heat up as high as it will go, bypass a heat protectant and go HAM on a wig....get that "I wanna flat iron my hair" feeling out of my system :lol:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
bumping!
how has everyone been doing? anyone used heat passes for the fourth to get fancy??? ;D

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Count me in. I've actually been doing this since May, but I try to do this whenever I'm in grow out mode, as I am now. My siggy pic is my old haircut. I'm trying to get to SL by October. I'm kinda in between now, and I find that cutting down or out on the heat, and the low manipulation styles really help my hair grow quickly. I don't know when I might use a heat pass b/c my lifestyle leaves me outside a lot of the time in the heat, so using heat or having straight styles is worthless. My regi is below:

1. Wash w/shampoo(CON Argan Oil) every week 1x, and cowash(cheapie cons) a minimum of 1x/week.
2. DC every wash, using Queen Helene Cholesterol or Elasta QP DPR-11
3. Apply leave ins,Chi Keratin Mist, Elasta QP H2, Chi Silk Infusion, Lacio Lacio, and now Garnier Length and Strength
4. Style depending on PS I'm using: I rotate between, phony ponys, buns, flexi rod sets, possibly wet wraps.
5. Relax at 12 weeks(end of August 2012)

I can already see a difference in my hair, so I'm excited to see what will happen by the end of the summer! Happy Growing.
thanks for joining!
your regimen sounds great, i used to love that queen helene's and now i can't find it anywhere in my area!:nono:

Used my pass on the 30th. Vowing not to use heat until December for the next HYH reveal. I will be giving myself a Sedu Iron for my bday in September so I may be tempted to press my hair then but then again I might just test it out on my a new wig, turn the heat up as high as it will go, bypass a heat protectant and go HAM on a wig....get that "I wanna flat iron my hair" feeling out of my system :lol:
haha do whatever you need to do mama!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
bumping this once again :look:
i've been cowashing and bunning or clipping it up.
i'm gonna join the cowashing challenge #soiknowitsreal

anyone have any updates?

jprayze

I may have to drop out! Used my 1st heat pass last wk and will probably have to use another one this wk. usually when I get my hair flat ironed, it lasts longer but this was a new stylist and I wasn't 100% happy. Now my hair needs to be washed and I want it to be straight for an event on Sunday...

jprayze

There may be hope if I get a roller set!!! Im at my parents' house; I have to find some rollers!

Philippians413

I used the cool setting to blow out my hair today. Now I don't know what to do with it lol. My hair smells really good though. I used CJ Smoothing Lotion and a bit of SD Nourish Oil in the dreamy decadence scent. My hair smells good enough to eat! My sister came up the stairs saying "what smells so good?"

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
jprayze said:
I may have to drop out! Used my 1st heat pass last wk and will probably have to use another one this wk. usually when I get my hair flat ironed, it lasts longer but this was a new stylist and I wasn't 100% happy. Now my hair needs to be washed and I want it to be straight for an event on Sunday...

Girl aint no big deal thats just 2 passes. Do what you gotta do to look fly!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Philippians413 said:
I used the cool setting to blow out my hair today. Now I don't know what to do with it lol. My hair smells really good though. I used CJ Smoothing Lotion and a bit of SD Nourish Oil in the dreamy decadence scent. My hair smells good enough to eat! My sister came up the stairs saying "what smells so good?"

Wow sounds nice-i love great smelling hair! Maybe a braidout or bantuknot for curls/waves with volume.

back2relaxed

I've been in the same braid out since last Sunday, so almost a week. I'm going to wash my hair tonight and redo the braidout for next week. My hair feels very moisturized, and I just cowash if I want or mist, moisturize, seal, and rebraid at nite to refresh the look. I have absolutely no desire to straighten my hair as it is waaayyy too hot here, and a waste of time.

Does anyone feel like they will be clueless as to what to do w/their hair once they stop ps or using heat again? My hair is growing like weeds, so it will be a whole new world for me.

Also, do any of you relaxed ladies use "products designed for Natural hair" to define your twistout/braidouts/bantu knot outs? I'm a bit of a product junkie, although I've been doing pretty good lately, and want to try some different products, but don't know if it will be a waste.

JazzyOleBabe

I'm in. I don't know how I missed this thread. I rarely use heat anyway so I can continue doing things the way that I have been.