Summer 2010 No Heat Challenge June 21-Sept 22

grow

i hear ya!

i don't think i will use heat for the remander of the year either!

i haven't done so since november 2009, so why start right?

it's just that i miss it a bit and know how much easier it would make things.

of course, every time i think of going to get my flat iron (i had to hide it in the attic so it's not so easily accessible), i ask myself "is ______really worth that retention of these ends"?

that plus the hike it would take to the attic have kept my flat iron at bay.........so far!

newbeginnings2010

^^^That's a good way to resist! I think I'll put mine in our traveling suitcases. I store them by putting one bag inside of the other and shoving the one to the back of the closet. It's a HASSLE to get stuff out of there! Maybe I'll put my flat iron in the suitcase in the very middle. I would NEVER go in to get it until our next vacation when we need the suitcases. :lol:

HeChangedMyName

Y'all are doing so good. I did a flexirod set overnight and let me tell you. . . . .I got a lot of practicing to do. lol

The curls weren't totally dry in some places, although I did it on dry hair. I just spritzed with some lotta body after applying some hawaiian silky 14 in 1 to moisturize my dry hair. Then after the lotta body, I applied some IC fantasia anti-frizz serum. I think next time, I'll just do the lotta body. on clean hair.

lilsparkle825

haha, not even a week after my post i used heat. blow dried my hair to a kinky-straight.

wouldn't ya know it, the very next day i had the urge to cowash and wet bun because it's so dang hot. but i'm still holding onto it....ima get the most out of this hairdo.

KnottyGurl

Whoa. I haven't been here in a minute. I'm still hanging in there. I only used one heat pass since the beginning of June. It doesn't even feel right using heat anymore. And the retention is amazing! Not to mention how thick my hair is now. I'll definitely be able to hold out until 9/22. After that, my new goal will be January 1, 2011. HeChangedMyName, are you doing another challenge after this one?

KnottyGurl

Maybe that Hawaiian Silky was too heavy or you used too much. You'll get it. It took me a minute to figure it out too. I'm glad I stuck with it b/c flexirods are all I use now.

Y'all are doing so good. I did a flexirod set overnight and let me tell you. . . . .I got a lot of practicing to do. lol

The curls weren't totally dry in some places, although I did it on dry hair. I just spritzed with some lotta body after applying some hawaiian silky 14 in 1 to moisturize my dry hair. Then after the lotta body, I applied some IC fantasia anti-frizz serum. I think next time, I'll just do the lotta body. on clean hair.

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

Whoa. I haven't been here in a minute. I'm still hanging in there. I only used one heat pass since the beginning of June. It doesn't even feel right using heat anymore. And the retention is amazing! Not to mention how thick my hair is now. I'll definitely be able to hold out until 9/22. After that, my new goal will be January 1, 2011. HeChangedMyName, are you doing another challenge after this one?

I doubt it. I am seriously trying to disengage myself from the internet. lol It just be cawwwlin me.

janda

Hey girls! We only have one week to go in our challenge. I'm wondering what everyone's plans were for next week. Are you going to straighten? Use heat? How? What products/tools are you planning to use?
I'm definitely going to straighten to do a length check. I haven't decided if I'm going to blowdry and flat iron or do a rollerset and then wrap. Not sure what products I'm going to use but getting excited thinking about it.
All in all, I think this challenge has been good. After next week, I think I'll continue to stay away from heat and wet bun for as long as I can.

newbeginnings2010

Hey girls! We only have one week to go in our challenge. I'm wondering what everyone's plans were for next week. Are you going to straighten? Use heat? How? What products/tools are you planning to use?
I'm definitely going to straighten to do a length check. I haven't decided if I'm going to blowdry and flat iron or do a rollerset and then wrap. Not sure what products I'm going to use but getting excited thinking about it.
All in all, I think this challenge has been good. After next week, I think I'll continue to stay away from heat and wet bun for as long as I can.

I'm getting a relaxer October 6, and my stylist will probably blow-dry and flat-iron my hair. I'm going to a comedy show on the October 8, the day before my b-day, and I can't wait to see my progress (if there is any! :blush: ). I have decided that I'll only be using heat for my b-day, Thanksgiving, and Valentine's Day. Otherwise, I'll be sticking faithfully to braid-outs and air-dried rollersets.

lilsparkle825

I have not decided yet. I was all about straightening sometime in September for my length check, but my hair is still kinky straight from blowdrying it last week, and after this I won't want to put heat on it for at least a few weeks (or at least I think). With that said, I may wait till October to go to the salon for a blowout/length check and just wet bun until then. Just trying to motivate myself to DC right now....I'm stuck in a hair rut.

rockstar

I'm going to try to stay way from heat until at least my birthday (the middle of October). Hopefully I can make it. I'm in a wet bun challenge as well, and I was planning on wet bunning until the end of challenge, but today I am wearing a braid out.

Ijanei

Yaaay we are almost there ladies...the 22nd is coming right up...question HeChangedMyName, um is it okay if I post my results on the following weekend since I wont have time between school/work to do a length check :grin:

HeChangedMyName

Ijanei, that's fine. Its no rush. Wow, these three months went by quickly and even though I cheated. lol My hair is certainly better for having used less heat.

KurlyNinja

I flat ironed my hair on the last day of Aug so I probably will not be doing it again on the 22nd... but I have been wet bunning since my SHS stylist incident back on July 2nd... Is it ok to post up the July 2nd picture compared to the Aug 31st? I just don't think my hair could take the heat again in such a short period of time...

TruMe

Congratulations ladies! We made it. My hair has grown so fast during my consistency of pampering my hair and not getting lazy. This was the start something great and I hope you all have even more success from this point forward. HHJ and KUTGW!!!
:dance7:

HeChangedMyName

Party over hereeeee. We made it. Fall is in full effect. What were your results? My hair retained decent length. I'm excited.

I did end up relaxing and quit the transition. I've fallen in love with flexirods, which is a good thing because I can partially dry them with heat and then let them finish drying by air which will cut down on the amount of heat I'm using.

My hair is much softer and stronger from the regular DCing too. I did cut back a bit on the moroccan oil. I'd apply coconut oil to my scalp while I DC'd and use the coconut oil on my scalp only. While I was in the phony pony i killed Cantu Shea Butter Leave in. That stuff is great!

My hair also holds curls like no body's business now. Before, my curls ALWAYS fell flat. I haven't flat ironed in a while so I'm not sure how that holds up. I don't plan on flat ironing though. I'm loving the curls from the flexirods, my hair likes it too.

My constant scalp itching has vanished. I didn't notice until recently when i was discussing scalp issues with a friend of mine and it dawned on me that I don't have scalp issues anymore.

My crown is continuing to grow, but due to the layers that had to be cut to remedy the damaged ends, I realize that its a long road ahead of me to get the crown to the length where it truly blends in.

There was a time when the crown wouldn't fit on a roller so now that I can actually have a curl there, I'm elated.

I'll have to take some finally hair pics later on to post.

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

I may have to lurk around for a fall hair care challenge. I don't plan on going hard like I did with this challenge, but I know that I really have to continue treating my hair much better, especially considering how dry the air will be and how cold it is about to get. (well, I'm in NC so it probably wont get cold until Dec/January. . .but it will be cooler than it is now.)

janda

I can't believe I went all summer without heat. It was actually quite liberating. I'll post pics this weekend when I straighten my hair.

Ijanei

Not much difference but it's something.

starting pic:

ending pic:

rockstar

At the end of April I started at APL. I got my last dominican blowout in the middle of May. I have only used one heat pass since for box braids, and now I am 1 inch from BSL. I can't wait!

lilsparkle825

i finally have length check pics, so i can update all of the challenges i was in with my results.

june 4, 2010 -- trim that turned into a cut / last time i straightened

i used a heat pass in early sept to take a blow dryer to my hair. i wore it kinky-straight for a week.

october 5, 2010 -- back after my setback