Summer 2010 No Heat Challenge June 21-Sept 22

HeChangedMyName

Anyone up for a no heat challenge for the summer? Summer doesn't officially start until June 21 so we have time to get your heat fix in until then. I think we can have at least three heat passes for the time period. That would equal one per month. This does not include heat for DCing, that's almost mandatory, but everyone is welcome to eliminate that heat as well.

If you're in the challenge please state the following:

Natural or Relaxed:

Purpose in cutting back on heat:

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL:

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat:

Heat-free style suggestions:

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

Also, rather than post a new entry every time you use heat, how about on your original post we just update each time we use a heat pass. Include a B-4 pict as soon as you can so in the end we can all wee the benefit of no heat.

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

Natural or Relaxed: Relaxed

Purpose in cutting back on heat: Combat dryness and avoid splitting, extra shedding, and thinning

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: CBL (again after my setback)

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: keep my ends trimmed and tie my hair down EVERY night and keep my hair well moisturized without being juicy. Continue to DC and use my beloved Moroccan Oil
Heat-free style suggestions: two strand flat twist outs, roller sets, cornrow outs, donut buns

HP1 date: 7/5/10
HP2 date: 7/17/10
HP3 date:
taken may 22, I may take a different one that you can see better, but his is a good gauge for now.

Last edited:

KurlyNinja

This is PERFECT for me! I'm currently transitioning and trying not to use any heat at all! I know a lot of people said they had heat damage from straightening their hair while transitioning.

Natural or Relaxed: Transitioning...

Purpose in cutting back on heat: Trying to keep hair healthy as possible.

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: Last Time I checked my hair was about 8-9 inches. SL though.

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: Roller Sets, Twist Outs, Braid Outs, Low-Mani, Co washes, DC 1-2x a week, ETA: Will be wet bunning til end of summer.

Heat-free style suggestions: Roller Sets, Twist Outs, Braid Outs.

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

Last edited:

MsBoinglicious

Natural or Relaxed: Natural!!!

Purpose in cutting back on heat: To retain length to reach my goal of MBL/WL.

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: A lil past BSB.

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: Banded ponytails/pigtails.

Heat-free style suggestions: Buns and 2 strand twist!

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

Soulberry

Purpose in cutting back on heat: healthy ends and to reach BSL!

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: past APL

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: keeping my hair well moisturized and sealed and tied down with silk scarf
Heat-free style suggestions: wet bunning it all the way

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

Curlybeauty

If you're in the challenge please state the following:

Natural or Relaxed: RELAXED

Purpose in cutting back on heat: HEALTHIER ENDS & STOP FIGHTING HUMIDITY :lachen:. MY HAIR WON'T STAND A CHANCE!

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: I HAVE SERIOUS LAYERS, BUT THE LONGEST LAYER IS A LITTLE PAST SHOULDER AND THE FRONT IS EAR LENGTH MAYBE :ohwell:.

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: I ALREADY STARTED MY ANTI-HEAT ROUTINE AFTER MY LAST TOUCH UP 1 MONTH AGO & TRIM. I HAVE BEEN DOING NICE TWIST SETS, AND JUST SLICKING THE HAIR DOWN WITH SOME GEL.

Heat-free style suggestions:

HP1 date: N/A
HP2 date: N/A
HP3 date: N/A

ATTATCHED IS A PICTURE OF MY HAIR AFTER MY TOUCH-UP AND TRIM.
.[/QUOTE]

Summer79

Natural or Relaxed:Natural

Purpose in cutting back on heat:Trying to reach WL by the end of 2010

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL:not sure of the inches but I'm just now reaching MBL

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat:Banding or air drying in two braids

Heat-free style suggestions:braid/twist-n-curls

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

charmtreese

I've been doing my own personal no heat challenge for the past 5 weeks or so, this challenge is right up my alley I'm ALL in!!!!

Purpose in cutting back on heat: Help grow back a broken spot I have in the back of my head and for over all health and thickness

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: Ummm, I don't know how many inches I never measured. Currently Im between apl and bsl

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: Airdrying using the scarf method, for added curl I will use caruso steam rollers (is that okay?)

Heat-free style suggestions: updo's, ponytails and buns

HP1 date: 7/17/2010
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

Most recent pic from the end of April

Attachments

• 101_0613.jpg
    101_0613.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

charmetreese, your hare is gorge!

is your broken spot right below the crown? if so, combing that area upward really helped mine out.

equestrian

I haven't used heat in 8 months. main reason being, I don't know how. :look::lachen: other than the blowdryer of course So I depend on a soft brush, comb and lots of leave in conditioners haha.

I'm so IN!!!

Natural or Relaxed: Natural

Purpose in cutting back on heat: Overally health, thickness, and to get my edges back in shape

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: hmm, I don't know what to call that place in between SL and APL, but that's where it falls:perplexed

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: air drying/banding
Heat-free style suggestions: bunning, twists, and braids

HP1 date: 6/26/10--the girl can't braid it up right unless its been blown out. I bd'd on low heat though...boo hiss!!!
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

I'll post pics this weekend..

Last edited:

rockstar

Purpose in cutting back on heat: I use heat a lot during the winter months, so I like to give it a break during the summer.

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: APL

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat:

Heat-free style suggestions: Braid out & twist outs, bunning, and braids.

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

Attachments

• Photo 177.jpg
    Photo 177.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

lilsparkle825

Natural or Relaxed: Natural 2 years on June 13th :dance7:

Purpose in cutting back on heat: IT'S TOO DANG HOT!! :lachen:

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: BSB/BSL (I'll know for sure in a few days)

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: A sew-in.

Heat-free style suggestions: WNGs, twist and curl, buns, ponytails, WET HAIR!

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

I will post my starting picture after my Dominican blowout, which I'm contemplating not even getting since it's so frickin' hot. Did I mention it's hot outside?

Shinka

Purpose in cutting back on heat: Stop Shedding, Transition to healthier hair regimen, stronger & fuller hair

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: Hair is meets the top of my ears but are in layers. Shortest (banh and crown) around or just above brows.

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: Airdrying with leave ins, creams with scarf

Heat-free style suggestions: rollersets ( rare due to manipulation of wet hair), caruso rollers, pin curls, wraps (rare to manipulation)

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

HeChangedMyName

Awww thank you! Yup that's exactly where it is...thanks for the tip!:yep:

welcome. be careful with pony tails though. I found through trial and error and calling myself protecting my hair by keeping it up last year, that my hair in that area cant take being bound. . .at all. :nono: the hair surrounding it can thrive just fine, but that area breaks, even when it's in the middle of the pony.

charmtreese

welcome. be careful with pony tails though. I found through trial and error and calling myself protecting my hair by keeping it up last year, that my hair in that area cant take being bound. . .at all. :nono: the hair surrounding it can thrive just fine, but that area breaks, even when it's in the middle of the pony.

Yeah, I think mine came from constant wearing of the claw clip in that area. I just recently started wearing ponytails using hair zings (virtually tension free in this area!:yep:), I seldomly were elastic band ponytails.

TruMe

I'm in! I just decided to use no heat almost a month ago, so this is perfect for me as I transition.

Natural or Relaxed: Transitioning

Purpose in cutting back on heat: Trying to grow hair as long and healthy as possible...can't wait for my all natural head to shine through!!

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: 3 in. natural, 7 in. relaxed; in between SL and APL.

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: Not really going for smooth hair but instead blending my two textures to match as much as possible. If anything, I will wear a wet ponytail.

Heat-free style suggestions: I will be rotating every other week between a strawler set and a flat two strand twist out style.

***I DO NOT PLAN ON USING ANY OF THESE FOR THE ENTIRE DURATION***
HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

ajoke

Count me in

Purpose in cutting back on heat: Length retention, and trying to grow my edges

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: NL

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: Gel and scarf method, banding

Heat-free style suggestions: Cornrow updos and cornrow outs

Don't know yet, will update as necessary
HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:[/QUOTE]

butter_pecan

I'm down. Lol I've been doing this since I got sick in March anyway (sadly, I had to cut my rollerset challenge short).

Purpose in cutting back on heat: My hair grows faster in the summer, so I don't want to hamper it with heat. Plus, my hair is so thick and curly, it wouldn't stay straight anyway without a relaxer or extreme heat. I live in a pretty humid state.

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: Longest is nearly HL straightened/WL curly; shortest is APL curly (boo!).

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: Airdrying with conditioner left in (the Curly method) with aloe vera gel and yummy natural oils. Bunning at night.

Heat-free style suggestions: Loose buns/ponytails with metal-free elastics (don't bun too tightly at the edges and nape, let the ends go free). Have a big detangle comb and lots of conditioner on hand for co-washing (co-washing is a must for most curly heads). And check out the Curly method. It really has helped my hair this time of year (I don't plan to straighten until Sept/Oct).

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

Ijanei

Natural or Relaxed: Transitioning (finally)

Purpose in cutting back on heat: healthier hair...prove to myself it's not required!

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: not sure of in. but length is between SL and APL

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: simple wrap as always with my creams

Heat-free style suggestions: quick pin-ups

HP1 date: Not sure as of yet
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

Ijanei

Umm this is gonna kill me....I use heat once a week:sad: It I don't it's going to look bushy, my hair doesnt curl up anymore since the relaxers so I can't do wash & go's so I guess I will learn to just look bushy :nono:

NikStarrr

I'm in!

Purpose in cutting back on heat: Just trying to maximize my length retention to achieve MBL by December

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: BSB (an inch from BSL)

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: buns and 2-strand twists

Heat-free style suggestions: see above, plus twistouts/braidouts.

HP1 date: July 1st
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

This pic was taken 3/19/10. Since then I've trimmed an inch off the bottom and it's grown back, so I'm starting at this length now, just my hair is more even.

Last edited:

Sade'

Purpose in cutting back on heat: To combat dryness, damage & weak thin ends, retention

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: B/T SL & CBL

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: S-Curl Spray, Gel, Grease (Nature's Blessing &/or Profectiv), Co-Wash 3xs weekly, deep con once a week, protein once a month

Heat-free style suggestions: Wet Bunning

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

Majestye

Ok, I'm in....

Natural or Relaxed: All of the above! ( 12 weeks NG, texlaxed middle, and relaxed ends!) transitioning.

Purpose in cutting back on heat: reduce any breakage and dryness

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: I would say SL...but not even in the front.

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: until my sew-in...wet buns, scarves etc... (wondering how I'm gonna do this by air drying??? ugh) ready for the learning curve!

Heat-free style suggestions: sew in, wet bun, braid out, twist out.

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

Ijanei

Had to come back to list my HP dates

HP1 date: July 3 (for holiday purposes)
HP2 date: July 23 (vacay, I have to look cute right?)
HP3 date: August 22 (Start of fall semester week)

xyra

I keep saying that I am not going to use heat for the remainder of the year and I end up giving in anyway. This challenge will definitely keep my motivated. I'm in!

Natural or Relaxed: Relaxed (more so texlaxed at the moment)

Purpose in cutting back on heat: My goal is to have better retention

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: My name is close to 7 inches and I am shoulder length.

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: I will cowash 3 times a week and allow it to airday overnight in two braids and wrapped in a satin scarf. I've been using coconut oil for added shine and Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel to smooth down my hair more when I wear buns.

Heat-free style suggestions: Braid-outs, twist-outs, air dried roller sets, and occassionally pony tails.

HP1 date: August 6th
HP2 date: September 10th
HP3 date:

Attachments

• Image002.jpg
    Image002.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

Umm this is gonna kill me....I use heat once a week:sad: It I don't it's going to look bushy, my hair doesnt curl up anymore since the relaxers so I can't do wash & go's so I guess I will learn to just look bushy :nono:

You'll figure it out. We'll help you. For me, I find that when I don't use heat, rollersets and tight wraps as night keep things in line. Also maintaining proper moisture helps too.

I am relaxed and pure mango butter is a godsend for my hair when i air dry it. Try some of that.

HeChangedMyName

Alright, ladies, for those of you who haven't started the challenge yet, the first day of summer is fast approaching. June 21 is the official first day of the challenge. Have you gotten your heat cravings out of the way?

Remember, heat for DCing is ok and doesn't count toward your heat passes. If you don't know when you'll use heat in advance, then you can just update your original post whenever you use it.

Also, for the relaxed heads if you can, please offer any techniques to smooth hair. Naturals if you normally would wear your hair straight then also share tips.

Good luck.