HIDE THE HEAT: SUMMER 2013 CHALLENGE

jprayze

I'm planning to get my hair braided on Sat., 8/24, but I still trying to figure out what style of braids to get. I think I narrowed it down to box braids or sengalease twists.

AlliCat

Going on 15 weeks post and it's really hard to blend my leave-out and edges especially without heat. I'm struggling but still want to stretch my relaxer until Sept..

Tatilove

Going on 15 weeks post and it's really hard to blend my leave-out and edges especially without heat. I'm struggling but still want to stretch my relaxer until Sept..

U can doooo it. I'll be 12 week this saturday and I'm not planning on doing one until september... I don't know if I'll wait for the end of september or even early october. If I start having breakage before that, then I'll relax.

Coconut oil keeps my new grows really soft. I usually do a pre shampoo with hemp oil EVOO and EVCO, then after rincing off the conditioner I apply some EVCO and give my hair a final cold rince for like 5-10 secs. It works wonderrrrssss for both my new growth and the rest of my hair.

AlliCat

Thanks Tatilove :)

Today I took down my braids that have been in for exactly 5 weeks. It took an hour to take down the braids and do a quick shed hair removal with a wide tooth comb. Then another 30 mins to detangle more thoroughly with Komaza leave-in and a smaller comb. I did encounter a few matted spots which I gently and patiently worked through. Currently deep conditioning with Silicon Mix Bambu (tons of slip) then will do a protein treatment after. I'm approaching 4 months post and although I could stretch longer I might cut it early due to some events coming up.

ronie

Only 6 weeks left ladies. I think I might have to cut my challenge short though. On August 31st I have to be at an event where I would love to wear my hair straight. I am still thinking of an alternative heat free style, maybe a weave. I got curl formers, but I am so lazy to set my hair on them.
Honestly, at my length I will look better with curly hair anyways, lol. I guess I will have to be playing around with my hair o find a nice do. And off to YouTube as well.

jerseyhaircare

I permed my hair this weekend-was 16 weeks post. It's nice to see the progress-getting very close to APL (about an inch off). Plan is to enjoy the hair till today and go back to bunning- most likely 5-6 x a week to protect the length. DH is very excited about the length. Definitely will cowash my hair today and do a light protein treatment this weekend. Good hair practices do work.:grin:

AlliCat

Just a little update.. I relaxed my hair last night at almost 4 months post. I was dealing with extreme matting issues (left cornrows in too long) but I worked through it and my relaxer came out well. Length check pics coming at then end of this challenge.. I'm even hiding the length from myself lol. No heat means back in a wig

AlliCat

I haven't seen my length but based on how my hair feels while wet I should be waist length by next relaxer, or if not, the one after. Going to continue my currently regimen of wigging it and wash+DC every weekend or two

growbaby

I know I can stick this challenge out till the end! Due to the fact I no longer own a flat iron (mine broke in May and I've yet to purchase another) and because I haven't blow dried my hair in over 9 months :) I've decided to wait until my next relaxer to straighten. That will most likely be in October.

nyunyu

Hey girlies, well so far so good, no heat at all for the summer, and I don't miss it at all! Yay! It's been a challenge figuring out how to brush the air dried hair without breakage, I have to though or I get lots of tangles and SSKs, my hair strands are so fine and light that's why I guess. Moisture moisture moisture has helped me a lot, and funny enuff it's Like i can see the true state of my hair after air drying so I have a better idea of just how much moisture and protein it needs. I'm gonna buy some cassia online, maybe that il made my hair a it smoother and stronger and easier to manage after air drying? Worth a try. Hope y'all have/are having a great week!

NaturalBeauty<3

Haven't checked in since the beginning! Still heat free tho. No heat since the end of March. My goal was 6 months no heat, but now I'm leaning towards a year. I'll still length check at the end of the challenge, no matter what I decide.

jprayze

Getting my twists installed on air dried hair. Happy because I thought would have to be blow dried. Pics later!

ronie

Thanks for bumping this growbaby cause I have been looking at blow out twistout tutorials all weekend. I was getting weak, lol. But I found that if my hair is stretched out ( airdried in braids) my twistout can give me enough hang time and be really fluffy.
Tonight I am resuming my night life so I'm trying a braid out on dry stretched out hair. Will post pictures if it comes out right, lol.

growbaby

Thanks for bumping this growbaby cause I have been looking at blow out twistout tutorials all weekend. I was getting weak, lol. But I found that if my hair is stretched out ( airdried in braids) my twistout can give me enough hang time and be really fluffy.
Tonight I am resuming my night life so I'm trying a braid out on dry stretched out hair. Will post pictures if it comes out right, lol.

We'll be waiting for those pics!

kinky curlygenie

Slowly found myself eanting to straighten so I put my hair into crochet braids although I am looking for my next hairstyle after just one week. I glad I did cz I wouldve straightens the heck outta my hair when I take these out I will have to do a length check. Im not very good at doing them on my own I always get the angle wrong but il have a good try lol. I'll be back. ........ :)

Rozlewis

For maximum length, health and thickness retention I won’t be using my flat iron this summer. Anyone want to join? The rule is super simple: no use of direct heat between June 21st to September 21st. Blow dryers on the cool setting, steamers, hooded dryers, heating caps, steam rollers are all OK because the heat is indirect :yep:

Disclaimer: This challenge is not for the faint of heart as there are NO heat passes. Let’s see who can make it to the end, it will be tough but well worth it: we can retain between 1.5 to 3 inches :grin:

If you’re in just write your no-heat regimen then post with daily updates or as often as you can (pictures are completely optional). Updates can be about anything – your HFSOTD (heat-free style of the day), what you co-washed with, product reviews, air drying technique etc;

Natural, relaxed, transitioning, texlaxed, newbies - ALL welcome to join!!

AlliCat, I am interested in joining. I dont plan to use heat till December 20th. My regimen:

Pre-poo - 1x per week with 30 minutes under my heating cap
Wash - 1x per week
Co-wash - 1x per week
DC - 1x per week with steam
Air dry and bun or roller set

I am ready. Thanks for letting me join.