Summer 2010 No Heat Challenge June 21-Sept 22

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i'm using a heat pass today. i just finished blowdrying, and i plan to flat-iron later. :yep:

ETA: oh, and i tried an air-dried rollerset the other day, and it came out decently enough to stretch out my hair. i think i can ride out the rest of this challenge using this and my other styles.

KurlyNinja

Did a flexirod set. and made it into a mohawk. LOVE IT! :weird: Ya, I'm pretty sure I'll never use heat again if I keep finding styles that work for me w/o heat.

TruMe

I'm sure I used up all of my three heat passes simply because I didn't realize that hooded drying was forbidden as well. :lachen: But I do have to say that I did try an air-dried flat two-strand twist and it turned out very good. The bad part about it though was that I had the opportunity to let them sit in for a whole day before I really had to go anywhere so I am a little concerned on how it would do if I still had to go somewhere the next morning when I do them in the evening. Also, one thing that I think I have realized is that all the breakage in my crown may actually be from the direct heat of the hooded dryer right on that spot. :wallbash: Idk, people were saying that this could be a cause but more from cheaper dryers. I don't have a cheap dryer (Babyliss free-standing dryer) but still think that either I don't have it high enough or it could be caused from any hooded dryer when you have it on high heat. This alone has made me STOP using the dryer. So, I am back on track to not using heat. I may try to use the dryer on the cool setting to help speed up the drying process but definitely not the high heat ANYMORE!!! Thanks LHCF for the insight!!

HeChangedMyName

Look at all y'all ladies hanging in there. I can't wait to see the results at the end.

Did a flexirod set. and made it into a mohawk. LOVE IT! :weird: Ya, I'm pretty sure I'll never use heat again if I keep finding styles that work for me w/o heat.

Now you know we need pics. :yep: Sounds cute though.

I'm sure I used up all of my three heat passes simply because I didn't realize that hooded drying was forbidden as well. :lachen: But I do have to say that I did try an air-dried flat two-strand twist and it turned out very good. The bad part about it though was that I had the opportunity to let them sit in for a whole day before I really had to go anywhere so I am a little concerned on how it would do if I still had to go somewhere the next morning when I do them in the evening. Also, one thing that I think I have realized is that all the breakage in my crown may actually be from the direct heat of the hooded dryer right on that spot. :wallbash: Idk, people were saying that this could be a cause but more from cheaper dryers. I don't have a cheap dryer (Babyliss free-standing dryer) but still think that either I don't have it high enough or it could be caused from any hooded dryer when you have it on high heat. This alone has made me STOP using the dryer. So, I am back on track to not using heat. I may try to use the dryer on the cool setting to help speed up the drying process but definitely not the high heat ANYMORE!!! Thanks LHCF for the insight!!

That crown is something else. its like foreign hair sometimes. Mine was damaged and breaking so I started DCing more frequently and combing the crown in an upward direction, especially when i had a lot of newgrowth, it has really helped and transformed my crown. It use to be so thin and short that I could just put my hands on my hair and that part was sunkin in. horrible. its thick and juicy now.

keep up the good work ladies. Our hair will thank us.

KurlyNinja

Look at all y'all ladies hanging in there. I can't wait to see the results at the end.

Now you know we need pics. :yep: Sounds cute though.

Here are the pics... Don't judge it too harsh. This is on 3rd day hair. I'm riding it out until the end. :lachen:

grow

so far, no heat......i'm just wet bunning.

the hot weather and being about a month post perm help out alot.

if this weather didn't puff my hair, the nappy roots surely would, so i'm better off just bunning it.

rockstar

I can't believe we're already over a month in. I think the hardest time for me to not use heat is when it starts to cool down. Did anyone join the Curly Until Christmas challenge? I'm contemplating it, but I'm not sure if I can go that long during the fall with only one heat pass and only light heat for DCs.

newbeginnings2010

Hey buddy! You know I need to see pics, right!?:grin: I'm hurting for styles through this no heat thing. I'm not using any heat until December if possible, but if I can't find new styles and this tangling keeps up...:nono:

Anyways, if I make it without heat until December, I'm rewarding myself with the Joico flat iron as my Christmas gift. That thing looks DELICIOUS! :lick::love:

grow

i've still used no heat since the beginning of the challenge.

what will be tough is when i have to do my deep protein treatment.

i use Dudley's DRC 28 and that requires a hooded dryer.

any tips?

i'm thinking about doing 20 minutes on lower heat rather than the insructed 15 minutes on hot.

HeChangedMyName

I got my hair done Friday and had her to flat iron it for me. I'm 12 weeks post and decided not to relax. I'm entertaining the idea of possibly going natural. I have a friend who is also going natural via braid outs(hers look so good y'all. and talk about thick and full.

HeChangedMyName

How is everyone hold on? I bought something fun yesterday. I'm excited. I still haven't relaxed so as of today. . .I'm transitioning. :)

HeChangedMyName

sorry so big. i'll resize it. lol I love the texture and so far today two people have though it was my real hair. yayyy hair!

KurlyNinja

Congrats on deciding to transition! Its a loooooong road ahead, but I think its gonna be worth it! Ok where did you get that pony puff??? I need something like that!

HeChangedMyName

Congrats on deciding to transition! Its a loooooong road ahead, but I think its gonna be worth it! Ok where did you get that pony puff??? I need something like that!

I got it from my loca asian BSS--9.99 :yep: can't beat that with a stick!

I may buy a couple more since I'm positive I will be wearing this style for a while

KnottyGurl

I NEED one of these in my life! I've been searching at my local BSS and can't find one for the life of me. :( I'm going to have to spread out my search now. I need a break. :yep: This would make my life so much easier b/c I'm almost 4 months post and it's getting rough. The honeymoon is over. :nono: :lachen:

How is everyone hold on? I bought something fun yesterday. I'm excited. I still haven't relaxed so as of today. . .I'm transitioning. :)

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

I NEED one of these in my life! I've been searching at my local BSS and can't find one for the life of me. :( I'm going to have to spread out my search now. I need a break. :yes: This would make my life so much easier b/c I'm almost 4 months post and it's getting rough. The honeymoon is over. :nono: :lachen:

hey, we might be transition buddies, im at week 13. This no heat is REALLY helping my hair so much. I can see how healthy my NG is in comparison to my relaxed hair. It's mind boggling, its like night and day.

Here is a girl on youtube who has the same one I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FpRHc7DvuQ

KnottyGurl

I could use a buddy :cheers: Guess what? I just picked up my ponyfro this morning :trampolin I like it, but I think I may pick up one that's a lil bigger too. But this is PERFECT for my workouts. I bought 2 for $9.99. One for working out and one for regular wear. Thanks for inspiring me to search for it again. :up: Let me see if I can find my camera...

hey, we might be transition buddies, im at week 13. This no heat is REALLY helping my hair so much. I can see how healthy my NG is in comparison to my relaxed hair. It's mind boggling, its like night and day.

Here is a girl on youtube who has the same one I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FpRHc7DvuQ

Last edited:

KnottyGurl

OK. I found my camera. I just took these pics after coming from the gym today. I love it! I think I'm still going to get a bigger one to wear when I go out. It looks natural and I don't have to worry about my hair before, during or after my workouts. I just wet and baggy my ends, then put on the curlyfro. Also, :look: excuse my five-head. I can't help it. :lol: If I need to make the pics bigger, let me know.

I bought Chade 0290 Twin Mini Afros from my local BSS (I only use 1 of them):

Last edited:

KurlyNinja

OK. I found my camera. I just took these pics after coming from the gym today. I love it! I thought I was going to go bigger, but I don't think so. It looks natural and I don't have to worry about my hair before, during or after my workouts. Ummm, :look: excuse my five-head. I can't help it. :lol: If I need to make the pics bigger, let me know.

That matches SO perfectly to your hair color! If you didn't tell me, I would have thought it was your hair! I have to go check out some pony puffs...

newbeginnings2010

OK. I found my camera. I just took these pics after coming from the gym today. I love it! I think I'm still going to get a bigger one to wear when I go out. It looks natural and I don't have to worry about my hair before, during or after my workouts. Ummm, :look: excuse my five-head. I can't help it. :lol: If I need to make the pics bigger, let me know.

Here's a bigger one KnottyGurl. I don't know if you're looking for one.

http://www.blackhairspray.com/product-p/paf05.htm