HIDE THE HEAT: SUMMER 2013 CHALLENGE

AlliCat

For maximum length, health and thickness retention I won’t be using my flat iron this summer. Anyone want to join? The rule is super simple: no use of direct heat between June 21st to September 21st. Blow dryers on the cool setting, steamers, hooded dryers, heating caps, steam rollers are all OK because the heat is indirect :yep:

Disclaimer: This challenge is not for the faint of heart as there are NO heat passes. Let’s see who can make it to the end, it will be tough but well worth it: we can retain between 1.5 to 3 inches :grin:

If you’re in just write your no-heat regimen then post with daily updates or as often as you can (pictures are completely optional). Updates can be about anything – your HFSOTD (heat-free style of the day), what you co-washed with, product reviews, air drying technique etc;

Natural, relaxed, transitioning, texlaxed, newbies - ALL welcome to join!!

Channy31

I'll be watching, I'm also doing something similar but from mid July - October.. just because I have weddings early July :)

NaturalBeauty<3

I'm in.
I've been heat free since April 1st. I'm going 6 months so it'll be through Sept, but this'll keep me on track.
All I do is Cowash & bun. Nothing fancy, lol.
& I'm natural. :lol:

JustGROWwithIt

I'm in! I don't use heat anyway, haven't for years. So this will be normal for me...
Right now I am wearing my hair in Marley/Havana Twists and will be doing so until August (I hope!) That will be harder for me than no heat because I get tired of the same hair style after a while! So my current reggie is...
spraying my twists really well every other night with a mix of Infusium 23 and S-Curl (although right now I am out of S-Curl so last night I used my VO5 conditioner instead), also massaging my scalp every other night with Liquid Gold growth oil, and once a week washing with diluted shampoo and DC'ing under plastic cap with Mane n Tail conditioner.
Every 2 weeks I will take down one half of my head and wash well and DC under steamer with either Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla DC or Shea Moisture Masque (I alternate between the 2), then M&S well and retwist that section.
I plan to do this until August, like I mentioned before, and after I will be wigging it. I'll post my wig reggie once I switch my PS.

Lissa0821

I am in, I plan on flat ironing and trimming my hair next week. After that I will be heat free until Sept, so this challenge is right on time for me.

rririla

IN...

Since January, I have been a weekly or bi-weekly heat user, and I know I need to stop....(my hair reverts badly in the summer humidity anyway) so I will give this challenge a try.

Will be wearing my hair curly, bunned, or rollerset for the duration of this challenge. My issue is my roots. I usually need a heat pass after my rollersets just for the roots....SO THIS WILL DEFINITELY BE HARD FOR ME!!! and those saran wrap thingy's don't work for me bc I sweat too much in my head.

SO IF ANY OF YOU LADIES HAVE A REMEDY FOR CURLY/WAVY ROOTS LET A SISTA' KNOW!!!! LOL....

Napp

Ms. Nobody
IN...

Since January, I have been a weekly or bi-weekly heat user, and I know I need to stop....(my hair reverts badly in the summer humidity anyway) so I will give this challenge a try.

Will be wearing my hair curly, bunned, or rollerset for the duration of this challenge. My issue is my roots. I usually need a heat pass after my rollersets just for the roots....SO THIS WILL DEFINITELY BE HARD FOR ME!!! and those saran wrap thingy's don't work for me bc I sweat too much in my head.

SO IF ANY OF YOU LADIES HAVE A REMEDY FOR CURLY/WAVY ROOTS LET A SISTA' KNOW!!!! LOL....

rririla When i use mesh rollers and a creamy leave in i get very straight results at the roots

I also have some tips on getting smooth results with no heat using magnetic rollers.

Im thinking about joining. I want to reunite with my natural hair for a while before i go back to straightening

EnExitStageLeft

I would so join this challenge, but I Texlax in July and plan to either straighten or ponytail rollerset (I would have to press my root area). So sadly I'm going to have to sit this one out :(. I will be supporting from the sidelines though. Y'ALL ARE GOING TO ROCK THIS THANG' :happydance:.

mshoneyfly

I would so join this challenge, but I Texlax in July and plan to either straighten or ponytail rollerset (I would have to press my root area). So sadly I'm going to have to sit this one out :(. I will be supporting from the sidelines though. Y'ALL ARE GOING TO ROCK THIS THANG' :happydance:.

EnExitStageLeft
Do you HAVE to press your roots right after texlaxing. Their gonna be straight already, right?

EnExitStageLeft

mshoneyfly

I do ponytail rollersets, so I usually have indentations from the ponytail holders. Plus I'm actually Texturized (I use the term texlaxed and texturized interchangeably) so much hair is still pretty textured after a TU.

AlliCat

Yay welcome everyone :)

As for my no-heat regimen:
  • Weekly: Pre-poo, wash & DC then apply leave in(s) and air dry with the scarf method
  • Moisturize and/or seal daily, take biotin (when I remember :look:)
  • Clarify, co-wash, color rinse and protein treat as needed
During the week I wear heat-free styles - sometimes I'm creative with flexi-rods and pin curls and other times it's in a bun or ponytail. On the weekend I wear a halfwig which makes getting ready pretty easy, so that's an option you may want to consider for special occasions

ronie

I am in. My last blow dry was june 3rd. I plan on flat ironing september 22nd for DH birthday, so this right on time for me.
Hair facts: Natural 4a/b, normal to high porosity
Regimen: prepoo, shampoo (sulfate), DC once a week. Cowash and DC once a week
I wear my hair in twists, puffs, twist/braid outs. Hoping to retain as much as i can until my flat iron job. Hoping to make shoulder length by then. Picture in avi is a twist out on blow dried hair from april. I did a 1/2 inch trim early june, so my hair is currently the same length it was in this picture.

AlliCat

EnExitStageLeft rririla

Aww looks like getting the roots straight is going to be a challenge for us. Keep in mind blow drying on cool is OK, so you can try blowing out your roots first, then maybe steam roller-setting or the saran wrap method to get the rest of the hair smooth

I'm going to *attempt* to stretch my relaxer to the end of the challenge (I'd be 21 weeks post by then) but if I relax early this is the method I'll try. I always associate a fresh relaxer with flat ironing bone straight so this will be something new, it will prob leave more volume so that's a plus :)

Hope this helps!

RegaLady

This would have been WONDERFUL for me except my Bday is next month and I KNOW I will doing a blowdry look. Sigh. No heat passes, huh? Not even just ONE? Ah well, maybe I will join right afterwards:look:

kinky curlygenie

I'm in- this has come at the right time as I don't plan to straighten until sept maybe oct :)

My regimen is quite simply wash or cowash 1-2 weekly dc when I need and just listening to my hair and it seen to be working well also on my vitamins and doing regular exercise and drinking water, so nothing major

Let's do this

AlliCat

This would have been WONDERFUL for me except my Bday is next month and I KNOW I will doing a blowdry look. Sigh. No heat passes, huh? Not even just ONE? Ah well, maybe I will join right afterwards:look:

RegaLady not even one, we're going hard out here for extreme retention :boxing: is blow drying on cool an option for your bday?

sunnieb

I'll join!

I've been experimenting with going heatless for a little while because I use honey 2x a week and I want to keep the natural hair-lightening effect.

I planned to relax on September 13 at 20 weeks, so I'm with ya'll til then. :yep:

KaramelDiva1978

This is perfect for me. I don't own a flat iron and used a friend's for the first time last week and gave it back! Let's grow y'all!!!

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I would love to try it but I need my roller sets and when if I gave it up, I want to flat iron in August.

I will be lurking.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

kaykari

Id like to join. I may flat iron this weekend, for an official length ck and trim, but after that im done til the cut off. Id like to be arm pit length by 2014, and i think this challenge would help

ForumRunner_20130614_203114.jpg

ETA: Thats not my hand holding my hair, lol. Just wanted yall to know.

Last edited:

Amarilles

I'm in! I haven't used heat (direct or indirect) since December and I have zero desire to.

I'm currently transitioning from bonelaxed to natural, 14 months in.

ETA: What I'm currently working with :yep:

Last edited:

rririla

[USER][/USER]Napp, Thank you for the suggestion, I might have to give that try, I usually do a watery leave in with rollersets bc there is less weighing my hair down, but that may be the problem in itself. What creamy leave-ins are you using?

[USER][/USER]AlliCat, yes you are right, the curly roots are my biggest problem, but I may just have to wear my hair curly for the duration of this challenge, because my roots are disrespectful, and dont respond to anything but a flat iron....we shall see.

AlliCat

[USER][/USER]Napp, Thank you for the suggestion, I might have to give that try, I usually do a watery leave in with rollersets bc there is less weighing my hair down, but that may be the problem in itself. What creamy leave-ins are you using?

[USER][/USER]AlliCat, yes you are right, the curly roots are my biggest problem, but I may just have to wear my hair curly for the duration of this challenge, because my roots are disrespectful, and dont respond to anything but a flat iron....we shall see.

Disrespectful :lachen::lachen: curly styles and updo's are a win for summer :yay:

So I called this challenge 'hide the heat' because I literally hid all my hot tools away where I can't see them. Out of sight, out of mind :yep: anyone do the same?

curlycrocheter

I'm in! I haven't straightened my hair probably since January or February, so this will be a continuation for me.

I USED to be a heat straightened natural, but I decided that I would like to get to know my curly texture a little better. The last time I decided that, I had so many SSKs that I suffered a setback of epic proportions. I've learned from my mistakes & hope to do better this time around :yep:

My no heat regimen will be: Wash, DC, & either wash n go, or box braids. I will probably straighten for a lenght check & trim on 6/20 & then jump right into the challenge on 6/21.

I hid my flat iron on the very top shelf of my hall closet & it is a true PITA for me to get up there. I'll post a pic after I upload them from my camera.

Good luck everybody!

Napp

Ms. Nobody

in the picture i used novex argan oil leave in which is really good at straightening my roots. i also am loving kismera energizing leave in. it really smooths my hair(to the point where it doent even feel like mine LOL) for a cheaper option i also like mirta de perales keratin hair dressing(leave in) and serum combo.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Disrespectful :lachen::lachen: curly styles and updo's are a win for summer :yay:

So I called this challenge 'hide the heat' because I literally hid all my hot tools away where I can't see them. Out of sight, out of mind :yep: anyone do the same?

I am going to do this too:yep: I am just going to keep out my hooded dryer and ultrasonic infrared iron

rririla

[USER][/USER]AlliCat, Yes curly gurl for the summer it is....and I my irons and blow dryers are out of sight, so I think I may have to give them to my cousin and make her promise not to give them to me, no matter how much I beg and plead....lol:lachen:

[USER][/USER]Napp...Thank you for writing that lil blog about the Novex argan conditioners...I am going to need to buy that...I used to use the chocolate conditioner by them and it was pretty good but the pj in me had me using up my other vats of conditioner....:look:, will be purchasing this today though if it will help me get my roots in check during my rollersets....

AlliCat

rririla I saw novel chocolate DC in sally's and the label was in Spanish so put it down to look it up online :look: I guess it's a Dominican product.. does it compare to silicon mix at all?