Summer 2010 No Heat Challenge June 21-Sept 22

HeChangedMyName

I like that one. :yep: If I can locate it, I'll buy it. I like that look with cornrows too. I'm definitely going to get that done with my new puff. Thanks for the idea!

hmmmmm, i had forgotten all about the option of cornrowing it up into the pony.

y'all are gonna turn me into a phony pony maniac before this challenge is over. lol

KnottyGurl

Seems like you're the one turning the rest of us into phony pony maniacs :lol: I'll be watching you for more ideas. Since we're transitioning buddies and errthang, I should be allowed to freely jack your style(s). :look: :grin:

As far as heat, I've managed to avoid it so far. My new 'do' has made it much easier. :afro:

hmmmmm, i had forgotten all about the option of cornrowing it up into the pony.

y'all are gonna turn me into a phony pony maniac before this challenge is over. lol

Last edited:

Ijanei

Im surprised at myself. I havent used heat since the last time I said...yaaay me! I had an urge to use it today but I'm waiting until the fall semester (aug 23) to flat iron my hair. That will be the last pass.

Still going strong. I'm actually surprised that I've been able to last so long. I've been keeping it braided up or in a pony puff for the most part. I'll be moving to TX shortly, so I'm experimenting with bunning. If I can make it to the end of the challenge, I think that I'll continue one through the end of the year:)

rockstar

Natural or Relaxed: Natural

Purpose in cutting back on heat: I use heat a lot during the winter months, so I like to give it a break during the summer.

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: APL

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat:

Heat-free style suggestions: Braid out & twist outs, bunning, and braids.

HP1 date: 8/15 - blow dry.
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

I finally got my box braids in!!!! I blowdried my hair with a paddle brush. That's the first time I blowdried, and got it SOOOO straight. I might be blow drying and flat ironing my hair by myself this winter. Products I used were Giovanni Direct Leave In, oil mixture, and and BioSilk Silk Therapy.

ETA: I'm not sure if any of you are in the summer wet bun challenge, but if not, you will not see my box braids pic. So, I'm posting it here also!!

Attachments

• Photo 205.jpg
    Photo 205.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Ijanei

wow u know what's funny? I tried to straighten my hair this weekend for an event tomorrow, and I didnt even get halfway through...My hair was responding funny to it now. WTH:nono:? It would not straighten...I'm transitioning and have lots of new growth but damn is that how is going to be when I'm natural? Idk what went wrong because I'm a pro with my flat iron (Word:grin:)...Thanks a lot HeChangedMyName:ohwell:...i dont even want to use heat like that anymore which is also a good thing. man I wanted my hair straight:sad:. I will try it one more time

HeChangedMyName

wow u know what's funny? I tried to straighten my hair this weekend for an event tomorrow, and I didnt even get halfway through...My hair was responding funny to it now. WTH:nono:? It would not straighten...I'm transitioning and have lots of new growth but damn is that how is going to be when I'm natural? Idk what went wrong because I'm a pro with my flat iron (Word:grin:)...Thanks a lot HeChangedMyName:ohwell:...i dont even want to use heat like that anymore which is also a good thing. man I wanted my hair straight:sad:. I will try it one more time

awwwww, :look: I know the feeling. I want bone straight silkiness but I am resisting though. I love my ng right now, so thick and soft and I have urges to flat iron often but I wont to it. Hold on, your hair will thank you come September.

We're getting close ladies. we're coming down to the last third of the challenge. although i want straight hair, its too hot. I know I'll sweat it out in 2.5 minutes so i'm still rocking the pony puff

HeChangedMyName

Well ladies, I'm letting the afro puff rest today. Instead I'm opting for the donut bun.

I also plan to experiment with flexi-rods on my hair too. I need to get more of them. I did a trial run last night on one section of hair and they air dry smooth on damp hair. BUT my newgrowth wasn't doing anything but sitting there. Does anyone have tips for increased tension with flexi-rods?

Here is my bun today.

HeChangedMyName

sorry, it's a little wopsided. I can't find my homemade sock bun maker, this is a storebought sponge one and its just not as firm as the homemade one.

janda

Just a quick update. Still no heat. I'm gonna sound like a broken record. I'm still wet-bunning under a phony pony. I will continue until the challenge is over and then blow-dry for a length check and some pictures. But, I'm thinking about bunning (not sure about the wet part in cold weather) until the end of the year.

HeChangedMyName

Just a quick update. Still no heat. I'm gonna sound like a broken record. I'm still wet-bunning under a phony pony. I will continue until the challenge is over and then blow-dry for a length check and some pictures. But, I'm thinking about bunning (not sure about the wet part in cold weather) until the end of the year.
I've been thinking about what my winter/fall hair plans will consist of. I need to minimize breakage because last winter tore my hair up and set me back something terrible. It was so cold and dry.

I think I may baggy a lot more often this winter/fall.

Ijanei

It looks cute Changed...

Update, I'm still rocking this banana clip things so I'm doing well

KnottyGurl

Well, I had to use Heat Pass #1 on Tuesday :( I hope that I won't have to use heat again until the end of the challenge, but we'll see. HCMN, your donut bun looks really nice. :yep:

grow

just checking in:

still no heat usage.

now i think i'm ready for a personal challenge to see how long i can go without heat.

hmmmm.....

HeChangedMyName

I want some heat so bad. My hair looks a mess. I could flat iron this stuff and it'd be so silky.
I washed it last night and was too sleepy to properly secure it for drying. I look like a treasure troll. . .all thick at the roots and all straight on the ends. I pulled it back and managed to get it into a pony and put on my afro-puff, but Iknow what it will look like once i take this off.

sighhhhh. ok, that felt good to say it. . .maybe I wont press the heat issue for a while.

HeChangedMyName

I have flexirods in right now. I put them on dry hair so we'll see what the results are.

I'm scurrred. Does anyone know how to get more tension at the roots? Is that even possible with Flexi-rods?

lilsparkle825

wow, i haven't set foot in this thread since i joined....forgot all about it. thank goodness i clicked on it trying to be nosy!!

the good thing is i haven't used heat all summer....just been cowashing and wet bunning....the even better thing is i now know when to schedule my official length check since this challenge ends on 9/22. i can wait till the last week of september, i believe...and if i can't, it will count as my first heat pass.

HeChangedMyName

I'm still here. I cheated though. :( I used all of my heat passes and ended up using one last night.

I've decided to transition and had a jones for some straight hair. my pjism poked its head and I bought something new and HAD to try it right away. lol

I even started a thread about it. One thing that I can say is that my hair is much thicker straight now, having stayed away from heat for this time period. I need to come up with a fall hair challenge. . . .suggestions?

janda

I'm still in. I haven't used heat since June. I'm going to straighten my hair this month for a length check and then stay away from heat until sometime around Christmas. Maybe.

rockstar

I've only used heat one time since I've started this challenge. I want to stay away from it until Christmas as well, but I'm not sure what I'll do with my hair once the weather changes.

newbeginnings2010

I'm still here. I cheated though. :( I used all of my heat passes and ended up using one last night.

I've decided to transition and had a jones for some straight hair. my pjism poked its head and I bought something new and HAD to try it right away. lol

I even started a thread about it. One thing that I can say is that my hair is much thicker straight now, having stayed away from heat for this time period. I need to come up with a fall hair challenge. . . .suggestions?

I understand how you feel! I used all of my passes, too. I didn't feel bad about the first two because it was a VERY light straightening of my roots for styling purposes, but the last one was a straight up blow-fry and flat ironing session! :( Oh well. The challenge is almost over now, although I still won't be using any heat until December.