Summer 2010 No Heat Challenge June 21-Sept 22

^ It looks good, never heard of it but its cute...lol

1800601_image.jpg

I wanted to try them. I've seen reviews on youtube, but I have to ask. Are they really that good in terms of hold?

Last edited:
I wanted to try them. I've seen reviews on youtube, but I have to ask. Are they really that good in terms of old?

I think they are. You know how you can get tight spots with the old ones when you have to criss cross them and put a ton of them in? . . . .well, with the spin pin there was no tension and no sore spot on my scalp

I think they are. You know how you can get tight spots with the old ones when you have to criss cross them and put a ton of them in? . . . .well, with the spin pin there was no tension and no sore spot on my scalp

I'm definitely going to give them a try. They may be a good product for my wet buns. If they don't work then oh well, if they do work then :yay:!!!

lurking in here...i'm considering joining, but man, i don't know.

Do it! Do it! Do it! You know you wannaa. :lachen:

sooo umm, sorry for being a pest, but i just have one more question before i take the plunge and join:
when i do styles like twistouts on wet hair, they will not dry in time by morning unless i sit under the dryer for at least 20 min. this is due to the fact that i do my styling late at night, and i have to wake up kinda early. is this indirect heat ok for the challenge?? if not, it's totally cool and i'll just quit stalking you guys, lol:spinning:

sooo umm, sorry for being a pest, but i just have one more question before i take the plunge and join:
when i do styles like twistouts on wet hair, they will not dry in time by morning unless i sit under the dryer for at least 20 min. this is due to the fact that i do my styling late at night, and i have to wake up kinda early. is this indirect heat ok for the challenge?? if not, it's totally cool and i'll just quit stalking you guys, lol:spinning:

Well, technically it is ok. . . .BUT it will count toward your three heat passes.

The only indirect heat that is not limited is heat for DCing.

BUT you might as well come on board. unless you use heat every week. we're only doing it til sept 22 you got time,

1 used like a 1/2 of a heat pass this weekend. I kinda turned the hand held dryer on to get the excess water out. No comb attachment or anything. Matter fact I had it on the cool setting. LOL

1 used like a 1/2 of a heat pass this weekend. I kinda turned the hand held dryer on to get the excess water out. No comb attachment or anything. Matter fact I had it on the cool setting. LOL

I think we decided somewhere upthread that using the cool setting doesn't count as heat. lol

I was gonna try it but haven't had a chance to yet. i wanna do a rollerset and dry on cool.

Can you sit under the dryer on cool until it dries about 85-90% then do the twists? By morning, it will have finished drying. :yep: If not, you may need to towel dry it really well then blowdry it on cool until it's mostly dry.

Just some suggestions. :yawn:<--- (Where did the yawn come from? :lol: I must have picked the wrong gif. :lachen: I was trying to :) )

Last edited:
I have so much new growth and waves in my head that when I do my wraps now, they dont even stay str8:ohwell: ....that flat iron been calling me and I only have 1 1/2 pass left....I kind of cheated but felt bad so I stopped midway:lachen:

I have so much new growth and waves in my head that when I do my wraps now, they dont even stay str8:ohwell: ....that flat iron been calling me and I only have 1 1/2 pass left....I kind of cheated but felt bad so I stopped midway:lachen:

Say whaaaaat? You want to use mine because I wont need them, lol :grin: :lachen:

sooo...i believe i will join. enough of my excuses-this will do my hair some good. :grin:
My answers to the challenge sign-up questions are in red.

If you're in the challenge please state the following:

Natural or Relaxed: natural 4a/b

Purpose in cutting back on heat: it's of little use in the summer humidity, and for quicker styling.

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL:
ummm...you tell me. i don't believe i'm quite SL yet.

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat:
banding to stretch.
Heat-free style suggestions: twistouts, twist n curls, twists, braid n curls, bantu knot outs, cornrows, kinky twists, etc. i can't do bunning at this length without sacrificing my poor edges, so i don't bother

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

Also, rather than post a new entry every time you use heat, how about on your original post we just update each time we use a heat pass. Include a B-4 pict as soon as you can so in the end we can all wee the benefit of no heat.

Can you sit under the dryer on cool until it dries about 85-90% then do the twists? By morning, it will have finished drying. :yep: If not, you may need to towel dry it really well then blowdry it on cool until it's mostly dry.

Just some suggestions. :yawn:
thanks so much!!! these are really good ideas-i will definitely try sitting under the dryer while it's on the cool setting. :yep:
here's a starting pic of my hair:
hairstuff025-vi.jpg

this was taken this morning, July 14th, on blowdried hair.
let's see what i retain through this challenge:drunk::drunk:

Welcome aboard Rocky! you hair will thank you.

How many weeks are you? I have given up on trying to keep it straight. It's been in a pony. I'm still toying with the idea of weaving it up ala brandy/Solange with the natural hair look.

looking at my hair album on photobucket. I think Im gonna revisit the rod set. I will be air drying of course. or drying under a cool hood dryer
This was done in 2008 and I've learned a lot about hair since then so I hope it comes out a lot better

SUNP0020-1.jpg

How many weeks are you? I have given up on trying to keep it straight. It's been in a pony. I'm still toying with the idea of weaving it up ala brandy/Solange with the natural hair look.

Im about 7 weeks post but i only relaxed the edges (nape really):lachen:
so the other parts of the hair are RIDICULOUSLY thick and wavy...i love it since I'm transitioning (for now:look:) but thats where this "no heat challenge" gets to me :ohwell: I need those edges to slick down for me.

Well thanks to you, I now think i found a way to keep me from using the iron...let me know if u get that weave/sew-in, I would love to see it

263efe0.jpg
this pic is last month sometime, so imagine my new growth is thicker than that, which reminds me to post in the new growth thread.

btw, ur hair grew long since that pic w/ the curls

Long story short, here is the style u inspired w/ no heat, u kept me focused this week HeChangedMyName
:yep:
4kedyo.jpg

6j1zro.jpg
33yi1bt.jpg
2v1lpxh.jpg

Ijanei, your banana clip. and awwww, now im inspired too, i was really considering heating it up today. lol i'll hold off. I'm 10 weeks post and I hadn't considered only relaxing my edges. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . let me think on this thing. I'm not transitioning officially. but for some reason, in the summer i hate getting my hair relaxed. I dunno.
I really need to invest in some new banana clips too, mine are cheapie ones and they don't even hold anymore.

Ok...so, .I need help...I'm transitioning, and put in a henna...then my hair got even thicker, it appears that I'm going to need to blow dry and straighten my hair...otherwise I can barely comb it! I'm trying to hang in there w/o heat and/or relaxer.... I'm going to weave it before I fall off the wagon!!!
If my new growth were like yours...I'd be set!!!
:ohwell:

Im about 7 weeks post but i only relaxed the edges (nape really):lachen:
so the other parts of the hair are RIDICULOUSLY thick and wavy...i love it since I'm transitioning (for now:look:) but thats where this "no heat challenge" gets to me :ohwell: I need those edges to slick down for me.

Well thanks to you, I now think i found a way to keep me from using the iron...let me know if u get that weave/sew-in, I would love to see it

263efe0.jpg
this pic is last month sometime, so imagine my new growth is thicker than that, which reminds me to post in the new growth thread.

btw, ur hair grew long since that pic w/ the curls

Long story short, here is the style u inspired w/ no heat, u kept me focused this week HeChangedMyName
:yep:
4kedyo.jpg

6j1zro.jpg
33yi1bt.jpg
2v1lpxh.jpg

Last edited:
I don't use direct heat often anyway, but I'll still partake in the challenge!

Natural or Relaxed: Relaxed

Purpose in cutting back on heat: Minimizing split ends, thicken hair and combatting dryness

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: My layers are still growing out, but most of my hair is between SL/APL.

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: Drying using the scarf method and wearing texturized styles once I'm deep into my relaxer stretch

Heat-free style suggestions: Braidouts using satin/silk strips, twistouts, flexirod sets, rollersets, EZ Comb styles, banana clip styles, curly updos, ponytails and buns.

HP1 date: N/A
HP2 date: N/A
HP3 date: N/A

*I just texlaxed last Saturday, so I'll take an updated hair pic after my wash day this Saturday or Sunday.

Ok...so, .I need help...I'm transitioning, and put in a henna...then my hair got even thicker, it appears that I'm going to need to blow dry and straighten my hair...otherwise I can barely comb it! I'm trying to hang in there w/o heat and/or relaxer.... I'm going to weave it before I fall off the wagon!!!
If my new growth were like yours...I'd be set!!!

I'm no expert trust me, and only reason I get it so flat as possible is because while it's airdrying, I put it in a wet wrap w/ lottabody lotion and just let it dry, it's so soft even though it's thick but it lays str8 enough to pull off that banana clip:lachen:

I used a heat pass today. :( I hadn't planned on it.

Last night I washed my hair and applied the coconut lime(with a dash of olive oil, ORS, and porosity control) in an attempt to soften my NG so that i wouldn't have to keep fighting the urge to heat it up.

Well, after rinsing, my hair did feel a LOT thicker and like my strands had been filled somehow. Also though, my hair felt a bit wiry and that sort of scared me. I had a hard time combing it through.

I applied some lottabody and lacio lacio planning to tie it down and let it dry over night.

it was hard to comb and had a dull look to it so i put some IC styling gell through it hoping to shine it up and help me comb it through. didn't really work, but i can say that the treatment did absolutely cut my shedding down to nearly nothing. with all the tugging during detangling, i only had a few strands in the comb, with is not usually the case.

anyway, fastforward to this morning. my hair length was kinda straight, but all funky feeling. it felt like someone elses hair, someone with thick strands and coarse hair(neither of which i have normally)

so i decided to flat iron it and wrap it up. the shine was blinging from the flat iron and most of my hair only took one pass at the flat iron to get bone straight.

ok, cuz i love you guys so much, i unwrapped it right quick to show you what it looks like. you may not be able to see it, but its much thicker than normal

and there were only 4 strands that came out during the unwrapping

0717175152.jpg

Ok, I'm hangin in there, going strong. I haven't used heat, not even a blow dryer, since June 8th. Almost 2 months! :clap: It's getting easier and easier. I don't even WANT to use heat anymore. Life after heat is good. :yep: Imagine that! :lol:

ETA: The first time I transistioned, I used heat (handheld blowdryer AND flat iron) 1-3x per week. :nono: I think I had some heat damage b/c my new growth felt very coarse and wasn't as long as some of the other members who were 16/17 months like I was when I BC. This time I notice that not only is my new growth really soft, but it's also growing faster. My hair at 12 weeks today is the same length as my hair at around the 6-8 month mark during my first transition. :nono: That's one of the main things that easily encourage me to stay away from heat.

Last edited:
I'm surprised at myself too. I haven't used heat the whole time I've been part of this challenge. Hopefully I can make it all the way to the end!

I think my heat pass will be coming up soon to blowdry before box braids. Eep!

I haven't had a trim since the middle of April. Do you ladies think waiting until the end of this challenge is too long to wait for a trim?

Back