The Ultimate Hardcore No Heat Challenge 2013

Lovingmywaves12

Seamonster,

I am baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

Here is the progress from my 2nd month in conrows. I just took them out today and will dc tonight and be back in cornrows by tomorrow night.

I got a little more than an inch. If this keeps up, I will make WL by the end of the year!

Woot! Woot!!

Attachments

• hairfitness02172013.jpg
    hairfitness02172013.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 22
  • hairfitness03162013.jpg
    hairfitness03162013.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 26
  • hairfitness04112013.jpg
    hairfitness04112013.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 26

BonBon

I'm staying strong but it's hard!

Haven't straightened in a long, long time so I guess its curiousity to see if my technique could be improved. These Reniece threads are not helping:spinning:

Ideally I don't want to straighten until I know everything about my hair (via Komaza) and I'd rather wait till the end of 2014 for a nice surprise. I've never been even full SL in my life and had set backs/alopecia while on LHCF, so need to stay strong and protected to get there.

Evo-ny

I was thinking I could go the whole year without straightening, but I'm going to use my heat pass for my vacation in June. I'll be sharing a room with friends, so I can't be hogging the bathroom or having to worry about styling it. :lachen: at least I'll be going a total of six months without heat!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Keep it up ladies. Nixing the heat is one of the quickest ways I know to get your hair sprinting down your back. :yep:

Evo-ny

I'm THIS close to scheduling a flat ironing appointment tomorrow. Someone please send an intervention!!

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Had no idea this challenge existed or maybe I forgot... I'm doing my own personal no heat challenge (Hardcore Level 3 :yep:) but I'll definitely be cheering all of you on from the sidelines. No heat is one of the best things I have done for my hair in the last 5 months. HHG!

Last edited:

nakialovesshoes

I'm THIS close to scheduling a flat ironing appointment tomorrow. Someone please send an intervention!!

Evo-ny - Don't do it. If you're getting good results from not using heat, wait until the end of the year when you'll have even more hair.

Had no idea this challenge existed or maybe I forgot... I'm doing my own personal no heat challenge (Hardcore Level 3 :yep:) but I'll definitely be cheering all of you on from the sidelines. No heat is one of the best things I have done for my hair in the last 5 months. HHG!

HoneyA - I totally agree. Even though I do blowdry every 3 months or so when I get my hair braided, eliminating the flat iron has done wonders for the health of my hair. I went 15 months without a trim & only needed to trim 1/3" due to single strand knots. I keep trying to convince myself that I will never flat iron but I know once I hit WL, the temptation is going to be great.

Evo-ny

Caved in :(

I'm failing all my challenges this year, my ends were so bad I had to chop back to shoulder length. I'm lucky if I see APL this year, forget MBL and BSL. I hate it, but at least it's healthy looking instead of raggedy. *sob*

Seamonster

Evo-ny :bighug: Your hair is right where it needs to be, and you are doing great. Shoulder length hair with healthy ends will grow a lot faster; Plus now you can be the it hair with the fabulous hemline. :gorgeous:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I totally agree. Even though I do blowdry every 3 months or so when I get my hair braided, eliminating the flat iron has done wonders for the health of my hair. I went 15 months without a trim & only needed to trim 1/3" due to single strand knots. I keep trying to convince myself that I will never flat iron but I know once I hit WL, the temptation is going to be great.

nakialovesshoes I keep saying that my no heat challenge is until HL but really I just have no desire to blow dry or flat iron my hair at all. I can do without ever seeing my hair straight or blown out. I like it textured and curly. I won't swear that I'd never do it again but it's not something I want to do at all right now or for a long time.

feel free to post your progress, we need all the encouragement we can get.

Seamonster Thanks! Well, my hair gained a lot more thickness (and it was thick before!) and retained well in the last few months (and I've done about 3 dustings in 6 months). I'm happy with the progress. When I ended my transition in October 2012 I had about 4.5 to 5 inches of hair.

I blow dried twice in October and realised that wouldn't work for me because it caused tangles. I dropped the heat and upped the moisture. Now I have 9 to 10 inches in some places. If you can hold off on the heat for as long as possible, I really think your hair does benefit and it retains well. I know they are some who use heat to help with their retention though but I know for sure that wouldn't work for me.

freckledface

I totally agree with everyone. No heat is the BEST thing I've done for my hair. It stayed at apl for about a year. Then in 3 months I'm almost MBL!?! I'm mad at myself for not starting this sooner!

ManiiSweetheart

**Repost**
Hello Ladies!, i know ive been away for a while..mainly because i forgot to resubscribe... and ive been neglecting my hair too . These last two months of school have been hectic on my mind body and hair! i barely have time to sleep these days. Ive completely stopped using my MN mix, i haven't DC'd in weeks, i haven't henna'd since November and i've been keeping my hair in a raggedy bun this whole time! Ive completely depleted my hair stash, i was down to half a bottle of conditioner and 1/4 cup of castor oil until i went shopping this morning. BUT this is all about to stop TODAY! I have Henna on my head right now and ill DC after i rinse around 6:30... then ill try out Johnson and Johnson's baby leave-in and seal with castor oil ..oh i will be applying Sulphur 8 + MN 2 and 4% to my scalp daily! I want to be full MBL by the end of May/ early june!!

ManiiSweetheart

The bun I've been wearing every weeks for a while. Ill be getting box braids in the next 2 weeks and I plan on keeping those for all of summer with redos.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130508_121157.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130508_121157.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 37

toyas08

Today was the first time I detangled my hair in a week, it's been in a huge puff. Now my hair is in two cornrows and it'll most likely stay that way until next week.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Seamonster

I took three months off trimming because I belt like I was cutting off my progress. Last month I was careful to attempt to cut off a 1/4 inch natural hair. When I measured it; it was 1 inch long. My hair looked a lot better with the cut, but my hair looks better with monthly trims.

This month, I trimmed again, and was careful to only cut off 1/4 inch. I ran into an issue with the back. One lock of hair grew like an inch this month. I know it had to because I cut all my hair even last month so it should have been easy to cut 30 days later. Hoping this is the beginning of my summer growth increase.

SincerelyBeautiful

Loving not using heat. I have now learned to wear wash n gos or wet bun. I always air dry and I havent flat ironed in over a year. I cant even find my CHI which sucks cause I sooo plan to flat iron come December!!!

ETA: Ha! Found my CHI at my moms house later tonite when I wasnt even looking for them. How convenient is that lol. Still not using them til December!!

Last edited:

Seamonster

Oh no my hair dryer broke while I was deep conditioning with my a new henna gloss. I have added henna to my routine this year and I love it. Since I have enough build up I have switched to trying to perfect a gloss. I was hoping to sit under the dryer for at least 30 min to make sure it conditioned my hair. Got this cheap old henna from the local incense shop and it is going to need all the help I can provide to release that lawsome.

ManiiSweetheart

Installed box braids (which I love) :lol: I plan on keeping these until the end of June maybe mid July .

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130525_193505.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130525_193505.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 683
  • ForumRunner_20130525_193525.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130525_193525.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 669
Last edited:

Forever in Bloom

I never officially joined this challenge, but I have been doing the Hardcore part. My hair hasn't seen heat since January 2nd of 2012. If I decide to straighten it, it will be later this year before Christmas so that's kind of why i didn't officially join as I have been doing this since last year. I will continue finger detangling, protective styling, and avoiding heat for as long as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

nakialovesshoes

Just checking in. Still not using heat - except for when I blowdry for braids. I'm getting braids this weekend but my plan is to rollerset to stretch & see how that works. Its been over 2 years since I used a flat iron!

SincerelyBeautiful

Everyone is getting braids and its making me want some. So i asked my best friend to do me some seneglese braids before my cruise in a two weeks. Im 14 weeks post so that will help continue my stretch to twenty weeks.