Summer 2010 No Heat Challenge June 21-Sept 22

jaded_faerie

Natural or Relaxed: Natural

Purpose in cutting back on heat: I've been using too much heat for the best two months to blend my wgs

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: The longest strand is an inch below my shoulders...the shortest touches my upper lip

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: I don't mind my hair not being "smooth"

Heat-free style suggestions: wigs with headband and I will get a curly sew-in come July

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

lizzyb168

Purpose in cutting back on heat: Direct heat is not neccessairly good for the hair. Have already used direct heat once since october 2009. Dont want to use it again.

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: In beween SL and APL.

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: Use scarf to smooth hair if need be.

Heat-free style suggestions: Plaits and twists on natural hair.

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

VictoriousBrownFlower

I wanna join. I need to give the heat a rest for a while. I've been using way too much heat and I need to nip it in the butt before I get another set back.

Natural or Relaxed: relaxed

Purpose in cutting back on heat: give my hair a rest, help retain length, and hopefully keep ends thick.

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: apl not sure how many inches...

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: Wash once a wk. Prepoo overnight before every wash. Dc after every wash. Style hair while wet and cover with scarf.

Heat-free style suggestions: I'll pretty much be doing braidouts and buns.

HP1 date: july 15th length check
HP2 date: aug 30th length check
HP3 date: sept 22nd length check

pic taken june 14th

Last edited:

VictoriousBrownFlower

So today is the official first day of the challange so I thought I would bump the thread.

I am going to take this time resting from heat to try to thicken up my hair some more. I am going to start hennaing once a wk. I'm sitting here with my henna concoction in my hair. I'll wash it out tomorrow.

chasturner84

I want in! I haven't used direct heat in nearly 8 months...

Natural or Relaxed: Relaxed

Purpose in cutting back on heat: I wanted to learn to live without depending on heat to style my hair. My hair was so damaged because of the constant blow drying and flat ironing so my "cut back" of heated tools ended up being an elimination.

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: I think I may be 2 inches from APL which is ~21 inches from front hairline to longest layer. I'm 10 weeks post so I could even be APL and not know it yet.

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: Stay up on my moisture reggie, wear styles that do not require my hair to be completely straight

Heat-free style suggestions: Twist outs, updo's, flexirod styles, buns-(I will tie my hair down for straight edges). I may try half wigs too.

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

Last edited:

newbeginnings2010

I'm in! I don't think this will be too hard since this is already my plan!

Natural or Relaxed: Transitioning as of 3/27/10

Purpose in cutting back on heat: I don't want to damage my natural

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: APL

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: Water and coconut oil IF I decide to slick it back. I really wanna stick with braid-outs. Big, colorful headbands will be my best friends!

Heat-free style suggestions: Braid-outs for transitioners. Ponytail rollersets for transitioners who want to get their new growth kinda straight. I wanna try this on dry hair to avoid damage (I always rip my hair with wet ponytail rollersets) and THEN spray the roots with my water and Redken Butter Treat mix to see if that works. I'll update on that when I get my braids taken out.

HP1 date: June 28th for a job interview. LIGHTLY flat-ironed roots for a cute side bun...I got the job! :grin:
HP2 date: August 20th when I went to see the fam and the new baby!
HP3 date: None!

If that changes, I'll update!

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

So today is the official first day of the challange so I thought I would bump the thread.

I am going to take this time resting from heat to try to thicken up my hair some more. I am going to start hennaing once a wk. I'm sitting here with my henna concoction in my hair. I'll wash it out tomorrow.

Thanks for bumping.

I'm so excited y'all. First of all, I'm six weeks post relaxer and I love my newgrowth. I'll try to enjoy it until I cave and relax. Its so thick! and its shiny! And I've got at least 1/2" there.

I've been taking my MSM and biotin daily so hopefully, the lack of heat, plus the vits

VictoriousBrownFlower

So I washed out my henna mix. Shampooed with suave almond and shae butter shampoo. Then dced for 30 min with kbb luscious locks hair mask. Applied my leave in sealed with avocado butter and put my hair in a wet bun to air dry.

janda

I would like to join.

Purpose in cutting back on heat: retain length, nurse my hair back to health & break my addiction to my flat iron.

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: neck & chin length.

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: Wet-bunning and roller sets every once in a blue moon.

Heat-free style suggestions: Bun

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

mEmYSELFaNDj

Purpose in cutting back on heat: To retain length to reach my goal of Full MBL- grazing WL.

Hair length in inches and location, i.c APL, SL: BSL/grazing MBL.

Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: Tie hair down with silk/satin scarf

Heat-free style suggestions: Curly/Wavy install

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

HeChangedMyName

I was lazy this weekend and didn't wash and flat iron before the challenge like Ii planned to, so I guess I'll wash tonight and either do a braid out or twist out. It's been a while since I've done one so I hope it comes out ok.

I need to brush up on my roller setting technique because it's been a while since I did that too. I'm gonna try to just hold off on heat until A)I go in for my relaxer and she works her magic, or B)I cave and have to use heat.

HeChangedMyName

Tip for relaxed hair. I've found that when I air dry and do not intend to follow with a flat iron or blow dry, I need heavier product on my hair and to either wrap my hair or braid/twist it to dry, otherwise. . . . .y'all know, the bush comes out. lol

KnottyGurl

Natural or Relaxed: Transitioning

Purpose in cutting back on heat: To keep my new growth healthy and protect it against damage

Hair length in inches and location: alittle past SL (stretched)
Plan of action to maintain smooth hair minus heat: Only my edges with Fantasia IC gel
Heat-free style suggestions: Braidouts, Rollersets, Braids

HP1 date:
HP2 date:
HP3 date:

VictoriousBrownFlower

update: I measured my hair yesterday and I'm only 2 inches away from bsb:weird:. I know for sure I can get there before the end of the yr. I'm so happy and cant wait to do a length check in july. Also I'm going to have to change my heat pass dates because I'm in a few more challanges and want to straighten my hair for those ending dates. I will still only use 3 heat passes though.

Hows everyone else doing?

xyra

I know this challenge is just getting started, but things are going great so far. The last time I used heat was on the 18th and I've cowashed twice since then and haven't even had the urge to straighten. I think I may have finally found a solid no heat regimen as well.

HeChangedMyName

xyra, that's great. I haven't been tempted to use heat either. I get to DC this weekend so i get some heat on my ears without the conviction. lol

KnottyGurl

Heeeeeeeyyyyyy yaaalllll! :wave:

So far I'm doing great. I've been doing braidouts and haven't used heat since June 8th. The temptation to use heat is gone, and it's getting easier and easier. I don't even want to flat iron my hair anymore....but that's just the heat-free high talkin' right now. :lol: Really, my goal is to not use any heat, not just until the end of the challenge, but throughout my transition. :yep:

HeChangedMyName

Heeeeeeeyyyyyy yaaalllll! :wave:

So far I'm doing great. I've been doing braidouts and haven't used heat since June 8th. The temptation to use heat is gone, and it's getting easier and easier. I don't even want to flat iron my hair anymore....but that's just the heat-free high talkin' right now. :lol: Really, my goal is to not use any heat, not just until the end of the challenge, but throughout my transition. :yep:

how long have you been transitioning?

KnottyGurl

A whole, long, drawn out 8 weeks and 3 days :lachen:This isn't my first time transitioning, but my hair is 1000% healthier this time around. :yep: I've also noticed how not using heat has improved the texture and growth rate of my new growth. I'm sticking with it for sure. This challenge will keep me focused and on track.

how long have you been transitioning?

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

A whole, long, drawn out 8 weeks and 3 days :lachen:This isn't my first time transitioning, but my hair is 1000% healthier this time around. :yep: I've also noticed how not using heat has improved the texture and growth rate of my new growth. I'm sticking with it for sure. This challenge will keep me focused and on track.

oh ok, well im 7 weeks post and ALWAYS around this time I entertain the thought of transitioning. I am scared to BC with less than shoulder lenth hair just because i don't wanna look like a fool. who knows, maybe i'll be transitioning with you.

I wouldn't be so unsure if i didn't have 50-11 hair textures

Ijanei

see i almost used my flat iron 2day...I had to fight myself behind that. I am determined to wait until next weekend (heat pass) so I just pinned this lil style up so i wont touch it for 2 days

TruMe

I think I may have finally found a solid no heat regimen as well.

What is your regimen? I've been doing a swap between a strawler set and flat two strand twists and think it's great except for the fact that it is hotter than hades out here and feel my hair drys out too quickly. But, I've since found light at the end of the tunnel yesterday. I purchased those round flexible comb-looking ponytail holders and it worked beautifully today. I didn't want to put my hair in a ponytail because I am nervous about breakage but this tool solved my problems. Wet buns for the summer...here I come!!

KurlyNinja

I can't believe 4 months ago I was using a flat iron daily and now I'm pretty sure I could live with heat for the rest of my life. I've only flat ironed once in the past 4 months to see my length and immediately washed my hair afterwards.