STYLE FILE: Crochet Braids/Latch Hook Braids - different hair types: photos - videos

naturalmanenyc

Re: STYLE FILE: Crochet Braids/Latch Hook Braids - different hair types: photos - vid

A tip that my stylist uses is to latch hook strands of hair across 2 cornrows and "tie" the cornrows together with that piece of bulk weave. She did that at least 3 times between each cornrow section. I did not realize it until DH helped me to take down the first crochet braid install.

Picture the rungs on a ladder with the cornrows being the sides of the ladder and the rungs being the latched in weave.

Hey girl,

I was just wondering, i really want to try this style but what worries me is the part. i feel like people will be able to see the cornrow and the way the hair has been latched on.
Therefore i was wondering is this style possible to do with a little bit of hair out. like half on inch or hair just to overlap the crochet braids?

I just got a weave done last sat but now im super excited to take this down and try this style

TIA

naturalmanenyc

Re: STYLE FILE: Crochet Braids/Latch Hook Braids - different hair types: photos - vid

I wore my crochet braids in a two strand twist style but I would think using a bit of clear gel on the hair would help tame the frizz.

Okay I'm bumping this thread. I'm currently in crochet braids with freetress gogo curl and presto curl(I bought the presto on accident it blended well tho) It has been one week and this stuff is already a tangled mess. Well to me it is atleast. I'm sooooo ready to take this out and try again. How do u keep the frizz and tangles to a minimum? Also how did the human hair. I'm thinking of taking this hair and switching to human hair for the rest of the month.

paragon1day

I really like these styles. Thanks for starting this thread naturalmanenyc. Can any of the "loose" hair be washed every other day? I'm trying to get back onto my swimming schedule so I need some hair that can take a little bit of a beating. Also, does anyone know if there's a type of hair that's more "afroish" that I can use?

Thanks.

Yeap, I used hair that would be used for kinky twist (marley braid).
Step 1: cut bulk hair in 1/3s instead of half
Step 2: crochet in
Step 3: 2 strand twist
Step 4: rod twists
Step 5: dip in hot water and let dry
Step 6: after dry, remove rollers and untwist

It ended up looking ver natural and like a really cute twistout. I kept it in for 1 month and moved on to something else. I have used tango curl, water wave (sis hair), circle c curl, kinky twist hair (for kinky twist and my twist out).... I think that's it.

This style is so verstile. I never wash my hair but while I am getting it braided I be sure to tell them to use coconut oil on their fingertips, so when I take it down it's really easy to comb thru.

I am getting deployed soon so I will do the crochet twistout the whole entire time oer there. I'm thinking of keeping it in for 2 or 3 months at a time, since I won't be able to properly wash and stuff (I can't take EVERYTHING I use :lachen:)

I will try to post pics of the twistout crochet style. I only have one pic and it's on my sis's phone, so I'll get that 2nite when I go home :grin:

NGraceO

Hey girl,

I was just wondering, i really want to try this style but what worries me is the part. i feel like people will be able to see the cornrow and the way the hair has been latched on.
Therefore i was wondering is this style possible to do with a little bit of hair out. like half on inch or hair just to overlap the crochet braids?

I just got a weave done last sat but now im super excited to take this down and try this style

TIA
another good way to make sure the part isnt obvious is to do many braids....some do 16, i did 21 cornrows. My logic on this is the more and smaller cornrow you have, the closer together they are. There's nothing like having a giant space in the middle of your head for your part.

I've had mine in for a month in a half now. I was about to take them out last night, but I decided to stick it out. I've maintained mine by washing when needed (regular out, jump in the shower and wash like its my hair..), using diluted shampoo in an applicator bottle, focusing on the scalp, and using only a little on the synthetic hair. I use a cheapie conditioner mostly for the syn. hair. I slather it on the hair generously, detangling my way around by finger combing. Out the shower I put evoo on my scalp, using a diff. applicator bottle with a tip to get between my braids. I may or may not put a little serum on the syn hair, but I mostly just shake and go. And sometimes separate the curls, b/c washing does cause them to clump together, naturally. To prevent matting, I go through maybe once every two weeks and separate the curls to check for any matting, n if their is, I simply clip that part of the strand off.I LOVE this style. super low maintenance. Its just been a little hot b/c its the summer, and synthetic hair absorbs heat. I won't do it again until its cooler. also, the older it gets, the more natural it looks, its great! I'll post a pic of the part and them frsh out the shower inna sec.

NGraceO

Picture of the style with my part:

By babybabygurl980 at 2010-07-17

Pic of just out the shower, still wet (before I separate curls for volume):

By babybabygurl980 at 2010-07-17

Janet'

Great info!

Platinum

Great thread!:yep:

HautePinkHeels

How do you go about removing them? I searched "removing crochet braids" on YouTube and saw some people just undoing the cornrows and others snipping the hair out of their braids.

It would be helpful if I knew how they installed the braids in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using LHCF

naturalmanenyc

Depending on how the cornrows are done i.e., left in a ponytail at the nape or sewn down, you can undo the cornrows versus having to cut out the extensions.

I have tried it both ways, cornrows left at nape and cornrows sewn down. It was easier to take out the cornrows when they were left at my nape. DH helped me take out the last set of crochet braids (sewn down) and he accidentally cut out a small section of my own hair.

HautePinkHeels

So when you left the braids in a ponytail how'd you disguise them? Didn't the ponytail stick out of the back?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using LHCF

naturalmanenyc

HautePinkHeels

My cornrowed hair was not that long (shrinkage) so it was easy to hide the ends of the cornrows under the extension hair.

SkySurfer

Bumping!
Anybody else still crochet braiding? This has been my chosen protective style for the past few months and my hair is growing nicely :)

Harina

BUMP!!!!!!!

georgia80

Bumping and asking for someone to do this for me!!!!!! How difficult is it?
It's not too difficult. If you can braid it is not difficult at all. There are lot's of Youtube tutorials for great ideas.

georgia80

@Fine4s The good thing is the braiding for the crochet braids don't have to be fancy or neat. Perhaps you are able to find someone to just braid up you hair in a simple basic pattern. Ideas for braid tutorial patterns can be viewed on youtube as well.

Ivonnovi

I put in crochet braids this past weekend. Though I've had fun with this style over the past few days, I must say that ya'll are a trip :perplexed: ; someone mentioned the potential for bulkiness but DANG, I was not expecting the bulk in the picture below...mind you, I've taken about 1/4 of the hair out.....

For the sake for future (DIY) rookies here are a few tips I learned.

1. 10-16 cornrows (or less) straight back to start. Don't go too fancy till you get the hang of this.

2. Space the latchings AT LEAST 1 finger width apart. I learned it's much easier to add additional hair than it is to remove excess hair.

3. Place them *closer around the perimeter and on any parts you plan to show like the center part.

4. Sectioning the hair. I used Brazilian wavy, and learned that on average I could divide a pulled section of hair into about 3 latchings. AND *the closer ones (latchings) should also be made with smaller (skinny) sections of hair.

5. Lotion provides good slippage and smooths the ends of the extension hair. I also misted my hair during this process.

6. DO NOT rush. Loop the latching 3x then push the knot towards the scalp, no need to tie an additional knot.

The enclosed pic is my finished results right before I cut the length to just below my armpits. My facial expression is me trying to decide if the results look like Chaka Kahn or Dianna Ross' tresses (no shade but this was a lot of hair to handle)

Attachments

• Crochet.jpg
    Crochet.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

I've realized that I'm not about that recurling life (dipping hair in hot water every week). These Marley crochet styles look wonderful but I just can't deal with all the recurling that is needed. I had the impression that the curls stayed in place but no, they fall within a week and in some cases a day if using certain hair brands. I don't want to have to "do" my hair while it's already in a protective style.

Mmfood

Glad this thread was bumped. I am planning on crochet braids as my next style.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I've realized that I'm not about that recurling life (dipping hair in hot water every week). These Marley crochet styles look wonderful but I just can't deal with all the recurling that is needed. I had the impression that the curls stayed in place but no, they fall within a week and in some cases a day if using certain hair brands. I don't want to have to "do" my hair while it's already in a protective style.

Ikr?! Same with the bulk puffy kanekalon. Ugh.

Integrity

very useful. thanks so much Ivonnovi. how many inches of hair and also the number of packs did you need?

I put in crochet braids this past weekend. Though I've had fun with this style over the past few days, I must say that ya'll are a trip :perplexed: ; someone mentioned the potential for bulkiness but DANG, I was not expecting the bulk in the picture below...mind you, I've taken about 1/4 of the hair out.....

For the sake for future (DIY) rookies here are a few tips I learned.

1. 10-16 cornrows straight back to start. Don't go too fancy till you get the hang of this.

2. Space the latchings about finger width apart. I learned it's much easier to add additional hair than it is to remove excess hair.

3. Place them *closer around the perimeter and on any parts you plan to show like the center part.

4. Sectioning the hair. I used Brazilian wavy, and learned that on average I could divide a pulled section of hair into about 3 latchings. AND *the closer ones (latchings) should also be made with smaller (skinny) sections of hair.

5. Lotion provides good slippage and smooths the ends of the extension hair. I also misted my hair during this process.

6. DO NOT rush. Loop the latching 3x then push the knot towards the scalp, no need to tie an additional not.

The enclosed pic is my finished results right before I cut the length to just below my armpits. My facial expression is me trying to decide if the results look like Chaka Kahn or Dianna Ross' tresses (no shade but this was a lot of hair to handle)

Ivonnovi

very useful. thanks so much Ivonnovi. how many inches of hair and also the number of packs did you need?

I would recommend having at least 3 packs of hair on hand. Four if you have a big head like mine or want to experiment with blending colors.

The hair was regular braiding hair left at full length. Freetress Brazilian comes in folded @ 20". http://www.blackhairspray.com/freetress-synthetic-braid-brazilian-braid-20-kbz20.html

The picture in my original post is the full strand folded to 20".

Last edited: