Continuing the crochet braids convo...look at these crochet twists!

lilsparkle825

So I was on Google/YT researching crochet braids, since I am not really familiar with them that much but have been intrigued/inspired by naturalmanenyc and BlackMasterPiece's recent threads on them. I am currently wearing box braids and am on a personal 4 month HYH challenge, and instead of switching between these, kinky twists and senegalese twists, i plan on trying crochet braids with curly hair next. I googled "crochet braids" and came across a thread on naturallycurly.com (IDK if I am allowed to post the link) where a girl posted her results from crochet braids. She used a different type of BSS hair for her curly set...much smaller waves than the Freetress Water Wave, but it looks great! I was browsing the thread when I saw THIS, a second set of crochet braids she installed...and my jaw dropped!!!

This immediately caught my attention, as they closely resemble the senegalese twists I love to wear, but would take less time since they are crocheted in! I was even happier to see that she has a YT video about these braids...here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q1iKwudOdE&feature=channel

In addition, she has a fotki where you can see more pics:

http://public.fotki.com/kinksncurls/january/

According to her, the hair is about $2 a pack and she used 7 packs spaced out, although she recommends 10-12 for most people. However, she didn't cut the hair so they are waist-length. I am SERIOUSLY thinking about going this route! Anyone had crochet braids like these before???

DivineNapps1728

I LOVE this!!! The style is cute with curly loose hair, but I love the little twists!! I feel like if I used twisted hair I would have less shedding/tangling worries. Thanks for posting!

labelfree

I went almost everywhere searching for this hair in LA and I couldn't find it :sad: I think this hair would last longer than the curly

Last edited:

Nayna

Unbothered
It's like yarn braid and crochet braids fever around here, lol. These look so pretty and neat. I like twists but my hair didn't. Maybe I'll give these a try since my yarn braids are slipping already. Thanks for the links.

Geminigirl

Wow those are nice. Ya'll got me wanting to experiment with so much. I am trying to stick to this wig things since that requires little time and maintance.

sheba1

After I take my weave out in April, I will definitely consider doing these for a month or so.

http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/crochetbraid1.html <-- I plan on getting all my supplies from here :yep:

Ooooh thank you!! I'm getting the ones below! I've been wanting my micros for a while now, but I knew I wasn't going to get micros :nono:

The takedown shouldn't be bad, at all, Mekyakatinkerbelle. Just like taking out cornrows. The braids slip out from there. Ooh, I bet they're even reusable if they hair holds up well at the ends.

Last edited:

LadyPaniolo

I think the pre-braided or twist extensions are a way better choice for me than the bulk braiding hair. I don't want to have to spend time combing, styling and just generally fussing with the extended hair.

Only thing is, my cornrows are really hard to make flat, no matter how thin I make the parts. I'm afraid my cornrow base would be visible from space, :nono: and that's not sexy!

sheba1

The more I look at them, the more excited I'm getting. Man, I'll be able cowash my hair easy as pie... and I won't have to worry about fuzz because there will be no hair weaved into the hair that's hanging down. Eureka! :happydance:

tada1

those look really pretty and neat. i really liked the loose hair version that Black Master Piece posted though. When I take down my current weave, I'll decide between crotchet braids with wavy bulk hair and kinkies :grin:

antisocial

I had these about 10 years ago. For me, they didn't last very long. I think they look better and probably last longer with curly or kinky textured hair where it's easier to hide the parts.

Truth

I might have to experiment with this...however I would want the front of my hair to look different not so much in the "row" formation I typically see crochet braids in...i'll figure it out.. I need something new to do when this flexi set goes wrong (which is soon :giggle: )

longhairlover

yeah those look nice, just wish I could braid better :(
after seeing BMP's thread on the crochet she did on her mom I was really inspired and they look nice, since I can only cornrow the back or my hair I guess i'll leave the front of my real hair out and just crochet the back half, with my twist outs i'd like to add some length while growing my hair.

BlackMasterPiece

Yeppers:yep:, she was one of the ladies that made me fall in love with this style. She has a video on her crochet twists as well.

I LOVE this because its soooo much faster and easier then actually doing the twists one by one, you get the same effect with way less stress on your hair and way less time/effort for the look....I loves it:love2:

I'm also a huge fan of the kind of micros that are only braided like 4 inches down and then come loose, my hair has never been short enough to do that style but I can definitely crochet that kind of braid in now....its exciting.

My issue is that I have so many style ideas in mind for myself that I end up getting overwhelmed and not doing anything:drunk: lol

lilsparkle825

I think this is super cute. I would totally do this, if the nightmare of taking it out wasn't in the back of my mind!
like sheba said, you just take the cornrows down and the braids (or kinky textured hair, whatever you choose) just slip out. the whole takedown process should take about only as long as it takes you to unbraid your cornrows.
those look really pretty and neat. i really liked the loose hair version that Black Master Piece posted though. When I take down my current weave, I'll decide between crotchet braids with wavy bulk hair and kinkies :grin:
i KNOW! isn't it so hard to decide?! :grin: i am on a personal HYH challenge till june, so i am pretty sure i will end up doing both!
I had these about 10 years ago. For me, they didn't last very long. I think they look better and probably last longer with curly or kinky textured hair where it's easier to hide the parts.
i am counting on them lasting no more than 4 weeks, but i usually leave my twists in for 2-3 weeks anyway so that is fine. they seem extremely easy to do and redo, and since i am not paying anyone to do it...that works for me! :drunk:
I might have to experiment with this...however I would want the front of my hair to look different not so much in the "row" formation I typically see crochet braids in...i'll figure it out.. I need something new to do when this flexi set goes wrong (which is soon :giggle: )
try a formation like BMP did on her mom, or even the one like Mystakin777 did in this video. if you do it, let us know what formation you go with!
Yeppers:yep:, she was one of the ladies that made me fall in love with this style. She has a video on her crochet twists as well.

I LOVE this because its soooo much faster and easier then actually doing the twists one by one, you get the same effect with way less stress on your hair and way less time/effort for the look....I loves it:love2:

I'm also a huge fan of the kind of micros that are only braided like 4 inches down and then come loose, my hair has never been short enough to do that style but I can definitely crochet that kind of braid in now....its exciting.

My issue is that I have so many style ideas in mind for myself that I end up getting overwhelmed and not doing anything:drunk: lol
that is the same link i posted in the OP. i feel you on the micros though...i was even dumb enough to try them on my sister once not knowing that they looked like that because people with those braids had super short hair. NOT a good outcome!