You Adore LongHairDontCare's Results, but Are You Willing to Adopt Her Regimen?

BlackMasterPiece

So LongHairDontCare2011 has the ultimate ideal flawless natural hair in my book thickness length you name it she's got it. Observe the thick lusciousness :lick:

We love her results but are we willing to adopt her regimen to reach your goal?

Since her regimen clip is a little long let me summarize her regimen to reach WL (she's been natural 7 years starting from a 1inch twa).

Essentially she keeps her hair braided up in cornrows 4-6 months outta the year (her new growth & retention after 4 - 5 wks), she always blowdrys her hair prior to braiding (light heat training) and leaves the braids in for a month. The key to this reggie is the low manipulation protective style. She flat irons 2 times a year.

**UPDATE**: (Courtesy of Hair4romheaven) LongHairDon'tCare: I do wash in braids 2-3x per month. I DON'T wash more than 1x per month if I am NOT braided. Reason? don't have to use a dryer when my hair is braided so I can wash as much as I want. The whole reason for washing 1x per month is because I always blowdry and I need to avoid heat damage as much as possible.

So there ya have it, she actually does wash her hair frequently while in braids so that issue is no longer a factor:yep: she said she'll do an updated regimen vid soon to clarify things.

Here's one of the styles she does on the months her hair isn't braided up: Twists (she leaves this in for a coupla days first) & Twist-Outs :pant::love3:

Heres a vid where she talks about the fact that she hasn't always had long hair and she had CBL length hair as a child.

Would you be willing to do a modified version of this reggie based on low-manipulation and long-term PSing?

As an MBL sista...I think this is an awesome reggie to get me to WL. I looooooove switching my styles up but as a student the low manipulation is right up my alley. I could never walk around in cornrows I would feel like I look thugged out:giggle: I'm gonna do her reggie with crochet braids like this but with lighter color and longer hair. Those two were done with freetress water wave. I think I'm gonna start with freetress water wave then tango curl because one resembles my twist-outs and the other resembles my straw sets....I'm excited!:reddancer:

Last edited:

Harina

I obviously don't come to the hair boards enough, because I've never seen her hair before. It is gorgeous. What hair type is she? I always think my hair is pretty black, but then I see someone else's black. She makes me want to whip out the hair dye.

BlackMasterPiece

I'm with you Maracuja.....its worth it, plus you only have to do it till you reach your goal....at that point you can do more "out" styles protective or not.

Rei

lol, isn't that what most AA women do anyway when they don't know a lot about haircare? Put braids in an then not wash it for like the entire time. It's what my sister does and it has not helped her any, haha. Her twists and twists outs are insane though, I love them
The crochet braids are beautiful I love the idea of them. I wonder if others have done them with different types of hair...I think the water wave is a bit shiny

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
lol, isn't that what most AA women do anyway when they don't know a lot about haircare? Put braids in an then not wash it for like the entire time. It's what my sister does and it has not helped her any, haha. Her twists and twists outs are insane though, I love them
The crochet braids are beautiful I love the idea of them. I wonder if others have done them with different types of hair...I think the water wave is a bit shiny

I don't think it's just women who don't know alot about haircare who do this, I don't know much about the no poo method but I believe it's the same principle. I went an entire month without washing my hair while sporting a protective style (African threading) and my hair did just fine, to each their own I guess.

almond eyes

I think her regiment is simple. Not too much fussing. She even states that it's not the products necessarily but the techniques.

Best,
Almond Eyes

anon123

No I wouldn't because I couldn't wear cornrows for so much time. Especially now that I'm looking for a job. Also, I couldn't go so long without washing my hair. Also, I love the size of her twists, nice and big and easy and not stressful to do. But it wouldn't look right on my hair length.

I think the biggest key is any low manipulation regimen and gentle care of the hair when it's not in a protective style.

BlackMasterPiece

No, most AA women would just relax their hair or weave it up when they dont know what to do with it from what I've seen at least. She also does cornrows and braids with her own hair as opposed to braids with extensions so I think that may be a reason for it.

People do crochet braids with all kinds of hair this is done with freetress loose deep I like the fact that this girl used a beader to do her crochet braids they scare me less then the latch-hook lol:giggle: I'm seriously obsessed with crochet braids now...its such a great way to protective style while still looking polished and cute.

This is another variation of crochet braids where people get the look of individual braids in a shorter period of time and way less manipulation....which I love!:grin:

You can also do them to look like a fro

Last edited:

Vintageglam

I absolutely love LHDC's hair (which reminds me have to add her to my inspirations list).

I think it also stands to reason that she has such beautiful hair.

I wish I had adopted her reggie as a student because you can pretty much get away with anything then !

robot.

I think her regiment is simple. Not too much fussing. She even states that it's not the products necessarily but the techniques.

Best,
Almond Eyes

That's what I was thinking. Basically, long term protective styling with minimal washing. That doesn't seem challenging to me.

BlackMasterPiece

I obviously don't come to the hair boards enough, because I've never seen her hair before. It is gorgeous. What hair type is she? I always think my hair is pretty black, but then I see someone else's black. She makes me want to whip out the hair dye.
Here's a vid that shows her hairs remarkable progression over the years....although there are some puffs she did with naked hair that make her hair seem coily...once she puts some water or product in you can see her hair is actually tight 3c/4a(silky) curls imo.

But I know for a fact her reggie would do awesome wth 4a coarse coilys like me:yep:

Pooks

More proof that minimal manipulation is the way forward... I don't do fake hair, so I am going to try and adopt a weaveless weave reggie at least for a little while so thanks for posting BMP.

OT: Maracuja :love: your hair!!

Taina

Awesome that you made this thread!
I'm thinking in braiding my hair for PS and less manipulation. I'm thinking in using french braids (2) in each side of my head adding sintetic hair and i'm planning on do this the whole week and at the end of the week i will be DC and washing my hair properly. I will still moisturizing daily i don't noe if i'm gonna do this all the time (i got bored easily) but i will do my best to attach to it =)

Maybe when i got more handy doing bradis (i'm learning) i will do cornrows and flat twist to change my style and not get bored =)

hair4romheaven

I will. My hair has been in braids for the last 5 months. I had extentions for 3 weeks (mini set back) so I just corn row and put my custom wig on. i will adopt her regi but I must wash since i apply oils and stuff to my hair.

BlkOnyx488

I would adopt her reggie except for the monthly washes, I don't find that gross or anything. I use to work in a hair salon in when Wave Nuevau (sp) were in style and people didn't wash until they came to the salon sometimes a month or more now that was gross LOL

I just like water on my head in the shower so I don't think I can change that habit LOL
And doing cornrolls would not be thugish for me I always were a black satin or silk scarf on my head, no one would know.

I think I will toss some cornrows in my head tonight hmmmmmm

BlackMasterPiece

More proof that minimal manipulation is the way forward... I don't do fake hair, so I am going to try and adopt a weaveless canerow low manipulation reggie at least for a little while so thanks for posting BMP.

OT: Maracuja :love: your hair!!
My pleasure pookiwah. I like the fact that chocolatetresses has a scalp cleansing reggie too for her crochet braids that she does 2-3 times a week, she had it down pat to the point that there was no residue on the cotton round while she was doing her cleansing routine so I really think this is doable:yep:

Low manipulation baby!:grin:

And did you guys see the clip on how she did her twists? She twisted her hair while straight and washed in the twists....brilliant! imma haveta try that because wet twisting is too much for me sometimes:nono:

Last edited:

happylife

Thanks for this thread...
I am not natural but I am really digging the crochet braids as a protective style.

Wonder how long they can be left in without fear of your hair locking?

QueenNefi

I am currently (14 weeks now) doing a simular regimin. I have very thin, fine and fragile hair. My hair is between ear length and shoulder length. A couple of years ago I attempted to go natural. I adopted Kathy Howes method which was beneficial in obtaining a healthier head of hair but not much growth. I read Ella Joyce's book "Kink Phobia" and did OK. Ella Joyce is big into the braids for natural hair growth. I spent the year getting my hair braided, twisted and cornrowed. Because of all the manipulation, after one year I had zip growth. I went back to a relaxer and ear length hair.

For the first month of my journey I tried a pony tail and made a little progress. I would wash it hair,condition it, moisturize it, gel it, attach a pony tail and leave it alone. My hair was growing but I was loosing edges.

Then I saw Syler2 and it clicked. Now I wash it with sulfate free shampoo, deep condition, grease it with 100% castor oil pomade, cornrow it and leave it alone. I left the cornrows in for one month, use no glue lace front wigs when I go to work or go out and guess what- drum roll please - GROWTH.

I always thought that I had to wash at least once a week (like Kathy Howes)- no matter what. I now realive that that is not for everyone. It depends on your hair type. I am now on what I believe will be a successful journey in obtaining the hair that I've always wanted.

BlackMasterPiece

Thanks for this thread...
I am not natural but I am really digging the crochet braids as a protective style.

Wonder how long they can be left in without fear of your hair locking?
Me too I'm really excited to do them and I just know my hair will thrive. I feel like if you really wanna push it you could leave them in for 2 months or maybe even three if you really did it throughly. But I only plan to leave them in for 4 weeks max and that period of time shouldn't give you any issues.

I usually can only go 3 weeks with a long-term protective style but this is gonna be my back to school style and I'm challenging myself to leave it in for 4 weeks...I might re-do the middle part just to keep it lookin fresh...

2inspireU

Well, I guess that is what I am doing now except I wash every week because I add stuff to my scalp and it is simple hygiene(I love water in my hair!). Right now I plan to keep my hair braided(individual braids with my hair) under a satin scarf and hat for the winter. I plan to around May or June get color with highlights at an Aveda salon and flatiron, then back to my braids.

happylife

Me too I'm really excited to do them and I just know my hair will thrive. I feel like if you really wanna push it you could leave them in for 2 months or maybe even three if you really did it throughly. But I only plan to leave them in for 4 weeks max and that period of time shouldn't give you any issues.

I usually can only go 3 weeks with a long-term protective style but this is gonna be my back to school style and I'm challenging myself to leave it in for 4 weeks...I might re-do the middle part just to keep it lookin fresh...

Very good info! I might try this on me first and then my daughter. I have not had braids in years due to thinning from one install that was too long and too heavy. Seems like crochet braids is a great way to avoid too much stress due to weight while wearing a braided style.

Hmmmmmm....this is just what I have been looking for. You are awesome!

Fine 4s

This is how I achieved my current length. My 'regimen' has evolved and shaped into hers for very similar reasons. It's interesting to note how she doesn't like to discuss her personal 'regimen' A) because it changes with the demands of her hair and B) because she wants others to create their own without her influence. My reason is A). I'd be lying if I said I did xyz every week every two weeks or month or lying if I told you I use one particular product. As soon as I love one product and it finishes, I'm off to the next I'm not a PJ junkie because I finish it before I buy a new prod. That's just how I roll...

Because of the length and amount of work involved, I don't wash my hair as often (eventhough I swore this year I would). I planned on blowdrying more often this year to avoid all the knots I'm getting. I rip knots out almost everytime I detangle. I most certainly won't achieve any more lenghth like this.

Since I'll be blowdrying more often, I can braid more often. Braiding my hair without straightening it is too painful! I can't wait for my next trim either...

I've always said that with protective styling and nothing else, I could still achieve length because for me, that has been key. So bottom line is I follow this regimen and will continue to follow this regimen.