My FIRST Attempt at Crochet Braids! *Pics Galore!*

BlackMasterPiece

So as many of you know, I'm modeling LongHairDon'tCare's regimen as much as possible. Essentially her reggie is based on long term low maintenence protective styling to achieve your goal.

The protective style I found and fell in love with were crochet braids. I chose them because they give you a very "done" polished look while protecting your hair, they're quick and easy to do most ladies on youtube say it took them a average of 3-4 hours so I was excited to try them. Well my mom went from store to store and couldn't find a latch hook anywhere:ohwell: so we got creative and I pretty much did this style with nothing more then a bobby pin:look: lol

I used FreeTress Water Wave Hair in number 4 and a little 4/30 to incorporate the golden highlights its doesnt look like much hair in the pack but its called bulk for a reason people! lol to do her hair it took just 2.5 packs it was about $6 each. The hair frizzes very easily when you seperate each cluster so to tame that and define the curl I used some cheapo Ampro Clear Ice Gel I had lying around on each piece and it worked beautifully very little flaking and light-medium hold:yep: I was so glad to finally find a use or that. If you want more of an afro look you can simply leave the hair frizzy and you'll get the full effect you want.

Without further ado.....heres the:pics:

Mommy's swingin her hair all over the place now!:rofl: Protective styles can be cute and fun!:yep:

Additional pics are on my site and I'll be adding others we took when I recieve them tonight

naturalmanenyc

Great job!! I like the color combo too.

I just got my second set of crochet braids installed yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZJ2pzKSLHA

I totally agree with you, great protective style & polished look with minimal effort. My braider was done in just under 3 hours which included cornrowing my hair, installing the extensions and two strand twisting it. I'm shooting for 12 weeks with this set.

Last edited:

SilentRuby

You did a good job. Wow, I didn't think people still wore crochet braids. It looks good, though. This gives me an idea for my grandmother's hair.

LadyPaniolo

:gorgeous: It looks great! So natural looking, too. :yep:

I don't support the use of the latch hook, as my attempts in the past have had me accidentally ripping out chunks of hair at the root. :cry3: I'm going to try using the beader when I install this style for myself.

BlackMasterPiece

:gorgeous: It looks great! So natural looking, too. :yep:

I don't support the use of the latch hook, as my attempts in the past have had me accidentally ripping out chunks of hair at the root. :cry3: I'm going to try using the beader when I install this style for myself.
Thanks love...I was scurred of the latch hook too but honestly it seems to me, its more effective if you use it properly.....everyone seems to get their hair done lickity split with the latch hook and I quickly realized why when I did my moms hair:lachen: its like a three step process for every little piece of hair when you're using something other then the latch hook and its such a pain:nono:

The beader is PERFECT for the hair line....PER-FECT!!:yep:

questionable

I don't know where I have been hiding..but this is the first I'm hearing about these crochet braids...it's a good look though. Lovely work BMP (as always).

winnettag

That looks great!
I think it helps make it look more natural when the braids don't go straight back (which I never thought of before). I'm going to have to revisit this idea w/o doing the cornrows straight back.

Fhrizzball

I remember when I last when to a braider to get crochet braids with loose bulk hair it couldn't be done so I had to settle for the ugly butt regular crochet braids which were way too bulky and heavy for my head. When I learn how to cornrow myself I'll revisit this style. How did you secure the hair?

Kneechay

nice work, BMP!! You need your own freakin' salon.

What a good protective style. Can this be done with straight human hair weave?