My FIRST Attempt at Crochet Braids! *Pics Galore!*

blackbarbie986

a tip to keep the hair from frizzing when you're seperating, wash it first or do an acv bath. you did a really good job, maybe i should do this this weekend instead of straightening my hair.

BlackMasterPiece

I love the fact that you can hide your hair completely with this style. The less contact with the added hair the better. But how do you remove the hair?
I totally agree. Removal is as simple as 1,2,3 you simply unbraid the same way you would with any cornrows since the hair is anchored to the braids it'll just slip off along the way.

My mom loves it, she says she feels younger and couldn't be happier, makes me feel really good:love2:

Very nice this is the first time I've seen the hair braided that way. People usually braid straight back but this makes more sense :yep: You did a awesome job
Thanks! That was kind of an accident:giggle: but it turned out great!:yep:

wow. Girl, you are talented. I wish you would open a salon. I would travel and pay you well to do mine and my dd's.

I was hoping you'd do the crochet braids on your head. I know they will look great!
Awe thanks! I'm seriously considering doing them on myself its between this or kinky twists....I'm still deciding...I' hoping to make my decision this weekend...we'll see:yep:

I'll be adding additional pix from that night to this thread tonight though. We took some nice shots and I finally got the pix from my friend.

a tip to keep the hair from frizzing when you're seperating, wash it first or do an acv bath. you did a really good job, maybe i should do this this weekend instead of straightening my hair.
Oh cool! I'll keep that in mind:yep:

tada1

"BlackMasterPiece" said:
Awe thanks! I'm seriously considering doing them on myself its between this or kinky twists....I'm still deciding...I' hoping to make my decision this weekend...we'll see:yep:

I'll be adding additional pix from that night to this thread tonight though. We took some nice shots and I finally got the pix from my friend.

me too. I might do this as my next protective style. I never knew it could be done with bulk hair. I always thought people only did them with those curly micros. Thanks BlackMasterPiece :clap:

hmmmmm....crotchets or kinkies? that is the question! i think they'll take around the same amount of time to do though :-\

BlackMasterPiece

^ Crochet braids are definitely WAY faster to do then individual twists especially if you actually have the right tools unlike me:rolleyes: lol next time I'll have a latch hook and I'll get it done super quick:yep:

msdeevee

Sorry I messed up my posts basically wanted to ask what do you see as the difference btwn this style and kinky twists?

I see this as having the look with a lot less hassle.

Last edited:

mrshicks2002

^ Crochet braids are definitely WAY faster to do then individual twists especially if you actually have the right tools unlike me:rolleyes: lol next time I'll have a latch hook and I'll get it done super quick:yep:

ITA and you did a really good job. I love the hair and style also.

This is my mothers number 1 protective style and her hair grows soooo fast. She prefers and love to use the bobbypin vs the hook.

Here is a website that you can look at for styles that I am always checking out, but she dont do crochet, her braids are tree braids (Tree Braids are when the hair is cornrowed and the braid hair is interlocked within the cornrow) She have some good tips on the hair too.

www.interlockstyles.com

BlackMasterPiece

Hey guys! So I finally got all the additional pictures from the theatre last week and posted them on my blog my mom took some really nice shots I'll put up two of em here:love2:

Last edited:

BlackMasterPiece

Sorry I messed up my posts basically wanted to ask what do you see as the difference btwn this style and kinky twists?

I see this as having the look with a lot less hassle.
Yep you got it:yep:

ITA and you did a really good job. I love the hair and style also.

This is my mothers number 1 protective style and her hair grows soooo fast. She prefers and love to use the bobbypin vs the hook.

Here is a website that you can look at for styles that I am always checking out, but she dont do crochet, her braids are tree braids (Tree Braids are when the hair is cornrowed and the braid hair is interlocked within the cornrow) She have some good tips on the hair too.

www.interlockstyles.com
I've been in love with treebraids for forever and I really wanna try it on someone soon...I'm thinking my cousin may be my guinea pig on that one lol:grin:

I love treebraids but I HATE when the cornrows show in the front at all so I'll be doing as much camoflage of the braided base as possible when I do it:yep:

mrshicks2002

Hey guys! So I finally got all the additional pictures from the theatre last week and posted them on my blog my mom took some really nice shots I'll put up two of em here:love2:

Very nice! Could you tell me when you crochet your hair do you tie in a knot also to secure the braid.

Last edited:

mrshicks2002

Yep you got it:yep:

I've been in love with treebraids for forever and I really wanna try it on someone soon...I'm thinking my cousin may be my guinea pig on that one lol:grin:

I love treebraids but I HATE when the cornrows show in the front at all so I'll be doing as much camoflage of the braided base as possible when I do it:yep:

Right and this is why I perfer the crochets braids because its like you have more control over them.

BlackMasterPiece

Very nice! Could you tell me when you crochet your hair do you tie in a knot also to secure the braid.
I pull the loop thru the braid and pull the loose end thru it then tie once.....that helps to reduce bulkiness.......hope that made sense:ohwell::look: lol no worries my video tutorials are comin soon!:yep:

mrshicks2002

I pull the loop thru the braid and pull the loose end thru it then tie once.....that helps to reduce bulkiness.......hope that made sense:ohwell::look: lol no worries my video tutorials are comin soon!:yep:

Yup that made sense. This is how my mother does hers but I was just wondering if anyone else was doing it different.

I will be watching out for the tutorials.

BlackMasterPiece

thanks nikki and everyone that said my moms pretty:love2: I think she really looks great. She really loves the new look and the zero maintenence involved....all she does is throw on her satin bonnet every night shake, go and stay fly:cool2:

Jewell

That style came out beautiful! I want a set for summer! I would have to get someone to cornrow my own hair, and maybe even do the whole job if I can't figure it out on my own beforehand. Thanks for posting BMP! It's too cute on your mom! Both of you have beautiful smiles!

BlackMasterPiece

Thanks so much y'all! My mom is absolutely in love with it as am I, were both doing them again:yep: it's just ridiculously easy going wash n go hair.

I'll be posting a one month anniversary thread today so stay tuned for that:grin:

LadyPBC

Originally Posted by "BlackMasterPiece"
Awe thanks! I'm seriously considering doing them on myself its between this or kinky twists....I'm still deciding...I' hoping to make my decision this weekend...we'll see

Hi BlackMasterPiece (it's me again LOL). First - I'll say why not DO BOTH! Next, of course, I have a question. I am still fantasizing about doing my sell installed crochet braids next week. When I think of the take down process I am forced to wonder, how did you secure ur mom's loose ends in the back. I was going to flip mine up to fill in the space between cornrows then sew them down. If I do this they probably won't be so easy to take down. Any suggestions?

BlackMasterPiece

Hi BlackMasterPiece (it's me again LOL).
Hey!:wavey:

First - I'll say why not DO BOTH! Next, of course, I have a question. I am still fantasizing about doing my sell installed crochet braids next week. When I think of the take down process I am forced to wonder, how did you secure ur mom's loose ends in the back.
The ends of her cornrows were so short that I just let it hang, I made sure to braid it securely and that was it...the ends of her cornrows werent even SL so I just let it be:yep:

I was going to flip mine up to fill in the space between cornrows then sew them down. If I do this they probably won't be so easy to take down. Any suggestions?
Yea I'm not a huge fan of sewing the cornrows down myself I just dont like the fact that you have to have scissors so close to your real hair to take it down. If you have longer hair I would do continuous horizontal cornrows in the back so that the hair would be up and away.