By The End of 2011 I Want To Be...

ATLcutey20

What have you learned about your hair? It loves protein! I need it at least 2x a month or else I'll have mushy hair.

Your regimen? wash-DC 1x/wk, comb only on wash days, no heat, bunning, moisturize & seal nightly

What do you expect to accomplish in the upcoming year? APL

How do you plan to accomplish it? by following my above regimen

Are you doggedly determined to make a certain length, or are you more focused on the overall heath of your hair and nailing down your regimen? both. healthy hair will lead to APL hair

If you have a length goal, will it be your first time getting to that length? Yes, i've never had hair longer than SL. (granted i never DC and fried my hair about every day :nono:)

Whimsy

By the end of 2011 my hair will either be Tailbone Length stretched OR back up to APL stretched. It depends on if I decide to cut my hair off to donate again. I'm leaning towards NOT donating though.

What have you learned about your hair?

I've learned that my hair is resilient and needs moisture like you wouldn't believe. It likes to be left alone, doesn't like heavy products, and have I mentioned it likes moisture?

Your regimen?

Well it varies a bit, but in general it's wintertime: wash and dc weekly, bun or straighten or do various updos during the week, moisturize and scarf it up each night.
summertime: cowash a few times a week, dc weekly, updo, or wash n go, or braidout or whatever... moisturize and scarf it up each night.

What do you expect to accomplish in the upcoming year?

I expect to begin doing self trims to maintain my layers as my hair grows, dye my hair jet black naturally with indigo, get great growth all year, and learn how to handle this long hair in the healthiest manner possible

How do you plan to accomplish it?

by simply doing it ;)

Are you doggedly determined to make a certain length, or are you more focused on the overall heath of your hair and nailing down your regimen?

Health will always be my number one priority. if my hair got raggedy and I needed to keep it at chin length forever then I would be the healthiest chin length you ever saw.
I do hope to get to tailbone by the end of next year. I'm currently 3 inches past waist and hope to make hip length by the end of may.

If you have a length goal, will it be your first time getting to that length?

Yes!!!
This is the longest my hair has ever been and I'm so excited to see how long it can grow!

Bun Mistress

Love this thread. I'm on a personal home strecth challenge. This will be my third year growing.

I do not have to comb my hair everyday. I can go at least a week. I also have learned that I can not just finger comb, I have to use a wide tooth comb. Steam is my hair's baby's daddy. I love my natural hair. The last time I straightened my hair, I started missing my natural right right away. Juicing is a good thing.

Your regimen?
I'm going to BKT myself every 6 months. Other than that no heat (direct) for the rest of the year. I can roller set my hair if I want it straighter. Low poo DC regularly as I have been doing. I will use the sulf oil on my scalp regularly and I wil take all those vitamins I bought.

I will probably be natural by the end of the year. But I'm not planning on BCing. Just going to see how long thos ends can hold up.

I think the key is going to be kpeeing the ends happy. I forgot to do that for a part of this year and had some breakage. No more.

Are you doggedly determined to make a certain length, or are you more focused on the overall heath of your hair and nailing down your regimen?
I think my regiem is fine and I got from barely APL to grazing MBL this year (even with breaking from transitioning)

I want to be full WL by the end of the year. That is my final goal and I'm gonna do it.

Imani

What have you learned about your hair? I've learned that my hair is very very dry. And thats just the nature of my hair. I can DC til the cows come home, but its still going to be dry to some extent. And chemicals and heat just make it ever drier. So Im transitioning and also have cut way back on heat. Also learned that water is my friend. I always have a spray bottle with some water in it on my dresser

Your regimen? Detangling with EVOO before shampooing has been a lifesaver. Also washing in sections in front of the mirror. And doing my steam DC's in twists or plaits (bc if I don't, it will just tangle back up and then, what was the point of detangling in the first place). Also, I've eliminated sulfates and cones and my hair seems to like this change.

What do you expect to accomplish in the upcoming year? I want my hair to be full and healthy. If I could make a thick healthy SL, I would be super happy. I honestly think that would be enough hair for me, but I'm going to push towards grazing APL by end of Dec.

How do you plan to accomplish it? Taking my vitamins, drinking water, exercising, getting enough protein, using sulfur serum on my scalp, avoiding heat, moisturizing consistently, DCing under steamer, low manipulation (I wear half wigs, and maybe get a set or two of kinky twists during the summer).

Are you doggedly determined to make a certain length, or are you more focused on the overall heath of your hair and nailing down your regimen? I'm more focused on health. I would like to be at least SL tho, but I won't care if I don't make APL as long as my hair is healthy and luscious.

If you have a length goal, will it be your first time getting to that length? I have been SL before, however I haven't been full SL as an adult. I have never ever been APL.

Last edited:

Thiends

What have you learned about your hair/regimen?

Protective styling is what works best for me. I took my thick, long, healthy hair for granted, misused heat and chemicals, and stopped protective styling. Well, my hair still grew well and I retained the growth, but the root-to-tip thickness I had enjoyed was compromised. I had to cut my hair because the ends were thin and breaking for the first time in years. Now, I have learned my lesson.

I will be hip length at the end of 2011. Most importantly, I will have full, thick ends again.

Wearing my hair in 30 to 40 twists for weeks at a time.

Both goals go hand in hand. I am getting back to hip length and the fastest way to do it is to take very good care of my hair's health.

No, I have been at hip length before.

danigurl18

My hair needs to be combed once a week. My hair loves love manipulation and frequent cowashes. The best leave ins for me are Herbal Essence NOYF or Elucence Con sealed with avocado oil. Blue Magic Castor Oil grease is the best thing for my ends. ORS Edge Control is the truth!
Your regimen?
Wash with Elasta QP Conditioning Poo once a week. DC 2x a week with either Aussie 3 minute moisture or Miss Keys 10 n 1. Cowash 2x a week. Braid in 4 braids and wig for the week.
Getting my bangs to catch up with the rest of my hair and continuing to keep my hair healthy

Maybe use a growth aid on the front of my hair and continue my regimen with the wigs.

On both but I want to be MBL by Dec 2011
Yes my first time.. I see HL in my future

lovelexi

It is extremely fine but dense, my hair loves protein, and I need to leave my hair alone. Protective styling here I come!
Your regimen?
Pre-poo, wash, and DC every four days. Moisturize and seal 2x daily.
I am SL now and want to reach a full APL...inching towards BSL.
Protective styling. Starting with twists, then sew-ins, and bunning my hair in rest periods.
Well I am determined to make APL but I don't want APL and straggly hair. So health and length come hand in hand.
Yes and I'm excited about it!

TLC1020

Want to be back at full sl before summer 2011, so I would say by the end of 2011 I want to be growing towards apl...

JJamiah

B]What have you learned about your hair? It likes BKT and one year free of sulphates helped control drying hair and splitting my ends; everything else was pretty much known

Your regimen? My regimen will change my products will stay the same. I will have my hair braided 3 weeks out of the month and wear it out one week out of the month :)

What do you expect to accomplish in the upcoming year? I hope to be full WL by the end of the year.

How do you plan to accomplish it
? basically not letting anyone cut it off this year LOL.

No, Health over rides length, raggedy hair at WL is not cute :nono:

[/B]
No, I have been Waist Length before If I said hip length that I have never been. LOL

I have learned that my new growth, curls, and waves look and feel lovely. They deserved recognition, love, and patience.

Your regimen?
It's definitely seasonal. In the Fall/Winter, I cowash once a week, DC once a week, and use a ayurvedic herbal paste treatment made of Amla, Brahmi, and Maka powders mixed with hot water and peppermint oil. My hair is usually hidden in buns, dutch braids, and/or hats. However, in the Spring/Summer, I cowash twice or thrice a week with a DC once a week thrown in. I will add henna in the mix this winter; so, we'll see how that works out. I trim my hair twice a year.

Health, length, and thickness!

My regiment, duh! :lachen:

It's definitely both. You have to have a balance for things to work out well.

Ever? No. I've been MBL before.

Evolving78

it needs water and moisture. it needs to be left alone

a huge puff/ afro unstretched

keeping my hair braided or twisted the majority of time.

Are you doggedly determined to make a certain length, or are you more focused on the overall health of your hair and nailing down your regimen?
Focusing on the health of my hair, not cutting it, or trying something stupid, due to listening to other people.

it will be my first time making my goal as a natural. i keep cutting it.

bibirockz

Not much since I started my HHJ not long ago. But I do think that baggying is not for my relaxed ends.

Your regimen?
umm not fixed yet. But I do keep my hair braided either conrows under a wig, or big braids with extensions, or weaves. Depends what I have on really but I will cowash 2-3 times weekly, poo ever 2-3 weeks. DC every week. Moisturize 1-2x day &seal. Apply growth aids as need. Maybe try henna in a few weeks.

Hopefully full APL or grazing BSL.

Protective styling, hiding these relaxed ends for sure. Weaves, wigs, braids, maybe buns and phony ponies. Faking it 'til I make it!

I would love both and hoping my relaxed ends can hang on with the rest.

Yes, full APL will be my longest ever I believe.

KimPossibli

Supergirl

I want to go back to my no relaxer hair, but I want to keep it dyed jet black

Your regimen?

Avoid becoming a PJ. Use up the products I currently use. ORS Replenishing Conditioner and IC Moisturising mask. If they stop working add oils to aid in the process.

Deep condition every week with one of the above and do some sort of curly set to aid me in my transition

More natural hair :)

Trhough my regimen and to quit obsessing over growth

No length goals, I want to transition for as long as possible and maybe hold on for 12 months but definitely no shorter than 6.

No length goal.

Spiffy

Braids are not for me, they thin my edges something serious!

Your regimen?
Co-wash every 5 to 7 days, clarify 1 to 2x a month. Attempt to deep condition with every wash or at least 2x a month.

I hope to retain all of my growth and finally cut off my texlaxed ends after 3 freakin' years! My hair already reaches below shoulder blade with the about 2.5" texlaxed ends, but I hope to be bsl or longer when I finally cut them off.

I will live in twists.

I'm more focused on the overall health of my hair, I'd take healthy hair over lengthy hair any day.

Yes, the longest my hair has ever been was a little longer than apl.

SmilingElephant

This year i learned that my hair seems to hold on to moisture pretty well....i don't have to moisturize everyday....and every once in a while i could use a protein treatment:D

Your regimen?
I need to go back to deep conditioning overnite or for an hour or more instead of just 20-30 min

I want to continue my transition....i'll be 1 year post in May which when you look at how time flies....its right around the corner....so by the end of 2011 i hope to have enough newgrowth on my head to possibly BC:blush:...did i jus say dat???

Like i've been doing....co-washing and deep conditioning every week....abd protective styling:yep:....i feel like once you've grown your hair to great lengths....it kinda makes it easy when you're transitioning.....well for me it does anyway. Long relaxed hair requires just as much care as natural hair does in my eyes.

Chile you know i loves me some length!!!:lol: I am trying to reach WL natural stretched by 2013.....but this time i want it to be healthy and all one length:yep: I'm hoping to be what....SL or almost APL(natural hairs that is:grin:) by the end of next year. My hair tends to grow kinda fast so i hope to be close to APL by the end of 2011. If i make it then i will BC.

No its not....i started my HHJ with SL/APL hair:yep:

EEeeee i can't wait for 2011!!!:happydance:

Last edited:

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
What have you learned about your hair? That is does not have to be weighed down to be moisturized. That DCing does NOTHING for my hair.

Your regimen? Wash my hair in the shower and rollerset once or twice per week. I wrap every night and moisturize/seal with EVOO.

What do you expect to accomplish in the upcoming year? I hope to make MBL by the end of the year.

How do you plan to accomplish it? I'm going to stop cutting my hair out of boredom too. Bad habit.

Are you doggedly determined to make a certain length, or are you more focused on the overall heath of your hair and nailing down your regimen? I'm more focused on length because I plan on slowly cutting the black dye out of my hair.

If you have a length goal, will it be your first time getting to that length? Yes, this will be my 1st time making MBL.

WorkInProgress88

--my hair cannot handle too much protein

Your regimen?
--wash my hair once a week w/ shampoo, DC once a week, protective styles, little to no heat, detangle once a week. Protein when needed. Moisturize twice a day. ACV rince twice a month.

--past BSL BABY!

--keep doing everything im doing now

--health and length ... regimen is down packed

--nope

KurlyNinja

I have learned that relaxers and dyes made my hair VERY porous/brittle. I also learned that my natural hair is beautiful and a lot easier to manage than my damaged relaxed hair.

Your regimen?

DC 1x a week. Shampoo 1x every 2 months. Flat twist/ french braid under a wig. Wet bun in summer.

I'm hoping to be all natural APL by December '11

Low manipulation

I rather have healthy short hair than long damaged hair. But I'm not crazy obsessed with perfectly blunt ends either.

If you have a length goal, will it be your first time getting to that length
?

This will be the first time in about 8 years so I guess you can say yes. This will be the first time getting to this length in my adult life.

alanaj

I want to be completely rid of my product junkie ways. But I would like to make co washing a bigger part of my regimen.... I wanna end the year at BSL and then I'm done growing and i'll simply start maintaining length and health.

that it likes to be left alone mostly. and i don't need to fuss as much as i used to

Your regimen?
wash and condition once a week. braid/twist and leave alone til next wash day

I want to reach BSL.

Starting to up my deep conditioning game and cowashing more regularly...and low manipulation in between

I just want health with a bit more length. I'd be happy to stay the same length if it meant less splits.

If you have a length goal, will it be your first time getting to that length
?
It may be my first time as BSL. I've definitely made APL as a relaxed head but never really checked/knew my length back in the day...

Last edited:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!

I've learned that my hair needs more protein, and steam treatments

Your regimen?

Moisturize every night, wash and steam once a week.

Retention and growth

braids..braids...braids...I will be in braids until the end of 11' going between extensions and natural. upping my protein and going back to steaming once a week.

My hair is in excellent condition, I've been on this board for a while. I'm all about length from here on out:look:

Yes and Yes, I have a goal length for the end of 11' but that is my short term goal MBL, ultimate goal FULL TBL

blackbarbietea

That I can retain moisture in my hair without much work. (deep conditioning with ors mayo) yellow pack stuff. also my hair loves loves loves grapeseed oil, and sweet almond oil. But is very indifferent to coconut oil. and castor oil coats my hair very well for winter. But my hair never absorbs it really.

Your regimen?
For 2010:
First 4 monthes of the year, I wore sew ins, then I wore a few other sew ins during the year. I got a perm. flat ironed the mess out of my hair.
but I did get a reggie. wash once a week and deep condition once a week also. and leave in on my ends at night and at the start of my day, seal with grapeseed oil or castor oil.

For 2011: I'm gonna vow to keep my hair in sew ins for 6 out of the 12 monthes in this year. hopefully I can go longer. I will continue to DC whenever I have my hair out.
and I will be transitioning to tex-laxed hair, and then from texlaxed to natural. Which means eventually I will have to BC. But hopefully I can at least get my NG to APL or SL before I chop it off. :(

Retain 6-8 inches of hair if possible. And get used to being texlaxed.

See regimen above.

I'm focused on both length and health. I'm constantly fussing over the health of my hair. Because for me...health=length. And also, length is nothing if my hair is shot....

My 2011 goal is to be waist length which is definitely possible considering the rate at which my hair grows,
and also if I'm faithful to keep my hair in sew ins, i'll get what I want easily. and yes, It will be my first time getting to WL. i've been APL as a child. So it's
no big that I'm APL right now. when I get to BSL and MBL then I'll have stars in my eyes. lol.

labellenoire

I have learned that my hair loves to be washed with shampoo (well, really my scalp). I have found that when my scalp is nice and clean and free of build-up, my hair thrives. Of course, I use sulfate free shampoo and follow-up with a conditioner or deep conditioner. Also, my hair does not mind being blow dried and straightened throughout the cold months as long as I use a good technic and good tools.

Your regimen?
My regimen is pretty simple. It's called "listen to my hair". What I am consitent with is washing, conditioning, using a leave-in and styling. I DC at least once a week. Apart from these, everything else is if an when my hair requires.

I hope to have my hair thicken up (it suffered slightly from back to back weaves for little over a year). I believe length will come once my hair is in top shape. I am currently CBL.

I will continue to listen to my hair and scalp.

I'm focused on overall 'health'

N/A

Monaleezza

Hi Ladies,
I'm Mona I'm from the UK and this is my first ever post. Whoohoo:yay: I'll still learning, but thought I wasn't learning as much as I needed to while lurking in the shadows, so I've revealed myself so that in 2011 I can start a challenge.

I've learnt that I have 4c type hair. That it loves moisture and that just leaving it well alone does wonders for it.
I've also learnt that my hair and my ends love being being pincurled.

Your regimen?
Still in the making.
I've begun to comb much less often. But then I freak out when my fingers stop going through it. Although I've managed to get it to approximately fortnightly.
Pincurling at night does wonders and in the day I try to leave it pincurled unless I'm going somewhere nice.
I have my own blend of rosewater, ORS Olive cream and natural oils that I spray on every couple of days.
Washing it (every 3 weeks) in plaits. Not sure if I can/must increase this.

I've passed shoulder length hair and I'm heading for Arm-Pit Length Hair to Bra Length Hair.

I'm trying to develop a personal routine using the Crown & Glory techniques.
I'm open to all suggestions, so I hope all you wise ones are willing to share your knowledge with me.

My hair is generally healthy, so what I need now is learn how to retain length, find a regimen that suits me and my lifestyle and then worry about sticking to it and managing long, strong, gorgeous hair.

I'm heading for Arm-Pit Length Hair to Bra Length Hair. If I achieve this it will the longest it's ever been. And this time I'm more determined than ever.