By The End of 2011 I Want To Be...

Sianna

This is a spin-off thread from Platinum's "This Time Next Year, I Want To Be..." thread.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/hair-care-tips-product-review-discussion/340455-time-next-year-i-want.html

We are quickly approaching a brand new year, taking with it the knowledge and experience we gained during this one!

What have you learned about your hair? Your regimen? What do you expect to accomplish in the upcoming year? How do you plan to accomplish it? Are you doggedly determined to make a certain length, or are you more focused on the overall heath of your hair and nailing down your regimen? If you have a length goal, will it be your first time getting to that length?

Inquiring minds want to know! More specifically, I want to know! :lol:

As for me I've learned that in spite of my hair's resistance to being straightened, it's not made of steel! I feel that I over indulged with the flat irons this year and caused some minor damage to my ends. :badgirl: It's probably a total of about 1/4 of an inch, but when your hair is as short as mine, that's kind of a lot. I've already given myself a light trim and will do so again in a few months or so to get rid of the rest. Lesson learned! :yep:

As far as my regimen, the only thing I plan on doing different is incorporating more protective styles! My hair is almost SL now and I know I'll really need to start protecting my ends so I can retain my length!

I expect to make full APL by the end of 2011! And yes, I am DETERMINED to make it! It'll be the first time in my life that my hair has gotten that long! :yep:

How about you?

ETA: If there is already a thread like this for next year, please let me know! I didn't see one!

Mrs. Verde

I would love to be HL. I am just going to think positive and go full throttle on healthy hair practices.

ETA - Sorry didn't have time to answer the questions before.

What have you learned about your hair?

I do not have to comb my hair everyday. I can go at least a week. I also have learned that I can not just finger comb, I have to use a wide tooth comb. Steam is my hair's baby's daddy. I love my natural hair. The last time I straightened my hair, I started missing my natural right right away. Juicing is a good thing.

Your regimen?
I have crazy shrinkage, but when my hair is wet it does touch my shoulders and rub on my clothes. Therefore, PSing is going to become part of my regimen. I cowash at least 5 times a week. I baggy almost every night. I am going to try the sulfur and see how that works. I am also want to thicken my hair so I am going to do more cassia treatments.

What do you expect to accomplish in the upcoming year?
Big thangs....big thangs...:grin:

How do you plan to accomplish it?

Healthy long hair.

Are you doggedly determined to make a certain length, or are you more focused on the overall heath of your hair and nailing down your regimen?

Absolutely!!! I'm going hard in the twenty eleven.

If you have a length goal, will it be your first time getting to that length?
HL - do or die

Last edited:

AlliCat

I've learned whats in my siggy: my hair likes low heat, low manipulation, and little shampoo in my regimen. Under these conditions it will thrive even if I don't moisturize regularly or slack on deep conditioning. Sucks that it took sooo long to figure out these simple things work for me :ohwell:

As for 2011, I feel like it's gonna be a very good year, especially hair-wise. I figured out what works for me in 2010, so I will use this knowledge to reach waist length in 2011. I have 6 inches to go so it's possible. If I reach waistn length it will definitely be my first time being that length. Heck, I'm BSL and it's my first time being this length. I'm excited :drunk: :grin:

curlycoquette

Full, thick, and healthy waist length. (I'm somewhere between Shoulder and APL right now). I'm really focused on health, but if you are using healthy hair practices length will naturally follow. My hair grows very quickly and I cut it all the time, this time I want it long for a change.

Protective styling, visualization, and sulfur! :lol:

mz tracy 25

My goal is to be full APL by the end of 2011*Fingers crossed* My regimen now is simple: I wear a wig with my hair braided underneath as a protective style. I shampoo and DC once a week and moisturize daily. So far I've gained and retained 2 inches in the past 3 months, so it's definitely working!

HauteHippie

Thanks for creating this thread; I posted in the last one and then realized it wasn't for 2011. Oops...

Learned: patience is a virtue. I also learned not to trim so often. Those scraggly looking ends will look better as the rest of my hair catches up... Unless they're splits. Then they have to go. I learned a good bit in 09, so I'm just continuing to make sure I have a good balance in my strands.

Regimen: I'm keeping my hair in a full weave until I reach APL, maybe longer. I'm between a little past shoulder length (CBL) and neck length in the front now.

Accomplish: I will reach APL in 2011, maybe a little longer. I think it'll be the longest my hair has ever been. I care more about health than length, but I won't be happy if I don't reach my goal. There's no reason for me personally not to reach APL in my second year.

How: While in weave, I'll spray my hair with Aussie Moist, wash my hair twice a month and deep condition with steam. Hard protein after takedown with Apoghee 2 minute reconstructor.

While out of weave, I'll co-wash 2-3 times a week (using shampoo as needed) and deep condition with steam every 7-10 days. I'll probably flat iron once or twice a month with Hana Shine Shield and use a good bit of Giovanni DLI. Giovani and Aussie Moist are staples. I also like to make a sour cream/lemon conditioner. I may try that next steam and if it works out well, use it every third steam.

I'm using sulfur as a growth aid and taking vitamins. I'll probably start eating sushi wrappers again once I'm really back on my feet and settled in in NYC.

ETA: current length, health, products, and first time.

iri9109

i've learned that my hair loves aloe and honey...and oils (esp. castor and vatika/coconut) and some whipped butters, but straight up shea is only liked on very ends...it doesnt approve of being manipulated alot...it doesnt like being combed dry...it does good with protective styles (weaves)...it loves moisture...doesnt really like protein. also it hates satin bonnets, but i bet not think about going to bed without a satin scarf on my edges and a satin pillowcase.

Your regimen?
when i first started transitioning, and then BCd, i had soooo many products, but no real regimen. then as i developed a regimen, i realized i didnt even need all those products. i still like to try new products (and i will splurge around my BC anni just once), but when it comes down to it all i need is water, oil, conditioner, and occasionally a sulfate-free cleanser.

i plan to make SL, and then make APL...or atleast graze it.

protective styling for the rest of the winter and spring, low manipulation...making sure my hair is moisturized...DCing...developing a vitamin regi for overall health, including hair...i might dabble in sublimed sulfur starting in april...and rollersetting starting in the fall, and hopefully i can bun by the winter.

Are you doggedly determined to make a certain length, or are you more focused on the overall heath of your hair and nailing down your regimen?

well my regimen is pretty much nailed down for now...so im just really focused on health...i wont cry if i dont make APL, but i better make SL lol im only like 1/2 an inch to an inch away!

it wont be my 1st time reaching either, but it will be my 1st time getting to APL as an adult...when i was relaxed in middle and high school, my hair always broke off to shoulder length, or in between SL and APL

Janet'

I've learned that low manipulation styles are what my hair loves! Wash and go's are not my enemy (anymore)

Your regimen?

I try to wash once a week, with either a moisturizing pre-poo or a dc (or both). Apply Boundless Tresses every day to every other day. Moisturize daily with Mixed Chicks leave-in conditioner, water, and EVOO. Put hair up in a wash and go pony for the day. During the nighttime (bed-time) use the pineapple method, silk scarf, bonnet, and I sleep on a satin pillowcase (We can never be too careful, lol).

Aphogee 2-step treatment every 6 to 8 weeks

I'm going hard next year...I'm striving for Hip Length, but realistically, if I can reach full WL, I will be a happy camper :yep: :yep:

Continuing what has worked for me this year...

I am "doggedly determined" to at least make WL...anything after that will be a treat! I'm always interested in hair health...

It will be the first time as an adult reaching my WL goal. I was HL as a child and young teenager...My ultimate goal is TBL and that is something that I have never accomplished.

ETA: I will not bleach again next year...I will cover my greys with a demi glace, but I'm satisfied with my color for at least this next year...

LuvlyRain3

I think (well hope) that I can reach bsb by the end of 2011. I'm still not sure how long I want my hair to be in the end.

I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. sticking to my regimen. I've learned that hair likes consistency.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App

trendsetta25

What have you learned about your hair? that I'm a slow grower :-(

Your regimen? KISS (wash and dc weekly, co-wash and bun in the spring and summer, weave in the fall and winter)

What do you expect to accomplish in the upcoming year? Retaining every single strand and making full BSL (realistically speaking) MBL (if God answers prayers...lol)
How do you plan to accomplish it? Hairfinity vits and K.I.S.S

Are you doggedly determined to make a certain length, or are you more focused on the overall heath of your hair and nailing down your regimen? Prayerfully I can make MBL but it seems like my hair grows about 3 to 4 inches a year so....I'll stick with my BSL goal. :-/

If you have a length goal, will it be your first time getting to that length? Heck my hair is the longest its EVER BEEN IN MY LIFE!!!! So if I continue to retain I'm thankful

prettybyrd

My hair likes oils, vatika and JBCO are my hair's new best friends! :) My hair does not like WNGs. My hair detangles easily as long as I am gentle with it.

Your regimen?

I shampoo my hair once a week, co-wash once a week. On Poo day, I also DC. I then blow dry on cool enough to get my hair straight enough to braid, oil my scalp - I know for many this Hair Sin #1, but my scalp is terribly dry to the point that it just itches and hurts and JBCO seems to be healing it - seal the ends, and put it into two french braids.

Attaining APL by Dec. 21, 2011!

PS all year (Thanks to the HYH Challenge!), and sticking to a regimen and products that work for my hair.

I am doggedly determined to have the perfect ends! I want to be WL eventually (actually Dec. 2012), but I don't care how long my hair is if my ends aren't the healthiest possible! Right now my strands are the best I've ever seen since I was 16 - I'm into maintenance from this point on!

My longterm length goal is WL, and it will be the first time I've ever been WL. However, my 2011 goal of APL will not be the first time I've been that long.

lovely_locks

By the end of 2011 I will be a year and half into my journey. I better be APL by then! I'm not even shoulder length now and i've been on this journey for 6 months. My hair is in layers so I'll be happy if my longest layers are touching APL.

wheezy807

Nothing that i don't already know. Maybe that low maintenance aka being lazy does kinda work for meand that i can stretch my relaxers pretty well.
Your regimen?
Retouch at 16wks or more. Shampoo once a week alwats follow by DC. Air dry and no/limited heat. Moisture nightly (with scarf) and protective styles.
Well i know i will make my ultimate goal of WL.
By being consistent with my above regimen. I think being in challenges will support and motivate me, too.
Are you doggedly determined to make a certain length, or are you more focused on the overall health of your hair and nailing down your regimen?
I already have my regimen nailed down so i just focus on the overall health of my hair and i know that the length will follow.
Yes indeedy! I'm very excited!!

Glamourstruckk

//What have you learned about your hair?
I have learned that there are so many options for healthy styles

//Your regimen?
My regimen is in my blog and I've learned that simple is best. It's easy to get caught up in this or that treatment or craze and lose sight of the basics.

//What do you expect to accomplish in the upcoming year? How do you plan to accomplish it?
I expect to make BSL with relaxed ends and then chop it off to be 100% natural

//Are you doggedly determined to make a certain length, or are you more focused on the overall heath of your hair and nailing down your regimen?
I want to be BSL, but as you saw from my last response it won't matter. *chop, chop* This puts health at the forefront.

//If you have a length goal, will it be your first time getting to that length?
If I do make it to BSL, and I will (claimin it!) it will be a first for me. My hair seems to love APL

loulou82

My hair likes the hands off approach. I spent little (I did a 2010 "Use Up Your Stash" challenge) and did little (had a weave for the whole year) to my hair.

Your regimen?
For 2011: Continue my no buy goal. Install my weave 3 times a year. Wash and DC. Moisturize as needed.

Maintain healthy hair and retain 5-6 inches of hair. Learn how to properly blow dry. I purchased my new baby- FHI Nano 2000 to get me started.

See regimen above.

I'm all about length for 2011! It will be 4 years since I started caring for my hair. My regimen is set and my hair is healthy. It's time for full MBL (close to WL). :yep:

Yup! My hair has never been longer than full SL (an inch short of APL) and I've already exceeded my first HHJ goal of APL.

Last edited:

Iluvsmuhgrass

What have you learned about your hair? It doesn't mind cones but it NEEDS to stay hydrated. It likes wash n gos (only with the right products) and low manipulation styles.

Your regimen? As needed: Co-wash, air dry in twists w/leave in, blow out on low heat, braid, wigs, and/or twists.
As far as conditioners: HELTR, HECMH (Color Me Happy - for color but my hair likes it anyway lol), Phyto Karite for my DC (using this one up then trying another)and MNT. Leave ins: when air drying my conditioner mix mnt/glycerin/water/rosewater/oils. As far as protectant: Chi Silk Infusion, Iron Guard, and/or Keratin mist.

What do you expect to accomplish in the upcoming year? I hope to reach Full SL or APL.

How do you plan to accomplish it? Leaving my hair alone. I want to try some protective styles for the rest of the winter. I don't braid so I have to be creative when it comes to styling so I won't get bored.

Are you doggedly determined to make a certain length, or are you more focused on the overall heath of your hair and nailing down your regimen? For me it's a balance of hair health and length retention. My regimen is relatively the same with a few tweaks here and there.

If you have a length goal, will it be your first time getting to that length? No. I was there when relaxed.

Last edited:

merilusmims

What have you learned about your hair? I NEED to DC
Moisture is the most important for me

Your regimen? Co-wash twice weekly, Deep condition twice weekly. Shampoo as needed Yes to tomatoes HELTR Aussie moist
Heat almost never. Bun continously Protein twice a month Texlax every 12 weeks Detangle only after cowash

What do you expect to accomplish in the upcoming year? I shud reach full BSL but think icould achieve mbl

How do you plan to accomplish it? No heat , Protective styling (buns,braids, and halfwigs)

Id prefer to have healthy strong hair and mantain the lengthi have now.I willl defintely be a goal of mine

Yes,ive never been bsl before even as a natural for 14 yrs

Last edited:

Lita

My scalp hearts -JBCO/Hair Harts Avocado Butter on length & Hemp oil on ends..

My Hair/Scalp Hearts- Smooth moisturizers...

My Hair Hearts-Leave-ins after each wash...

My Hair/Scalp Hearts-Sulfate Free Shampoo...

My Hair/Scalp Hearts- RedKen real control dc mask..

My Hair/Scalp Hearts

End of 2011 (Like to have THICKER,FULLER & very HEALTHY CL Hair)

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

Qtee

December 2011 I hope to be MBL..

What have you learned about your hair? My hair luvs luvs luvs water..

Your regimen?
Wash and DC weekly..In the summer cowash biweekly and WNG..in the winter braid and twist outs..buns and pony tails..

More health, almost no breakage (I will continue to color, so I expect some breakage) and more length

More protein treatments..continuing my regimen and listening to my hair.

Both because I'm pretty sure that that improving my health and nailing down my regimen will allow me to attain the length..

Yes and I cant wait..

Afrolatina

Love this thread! By the end of 2011 I want to be full midback length. I've been waistlength before so my goal for the very far off future is to regain waist with 3-4 more inches so I can be fully unstretched.

I've learned my hair truly doesn't like when I'm pregnant lol but with coconut oil a k-cutter style comb and cheap drugstore shampoo (this is a first in a while but all the herbs and stuff in natural shampoos I have to be careful with) my hair is a LOT happier. Still hard to get used to the chemicals lol.

In 2011 ill go back to my growth aids little by little (breastfeeding though so have to be careful), DC more and do regular trims/treatments until my hairis where I can be comfortable.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I prefers that I leave it alone and not be excessive with my regimen.

Your regimen?
It doesn't have to be elaborate.

Full BSL

KISS - poo & DC weekly
low mani and protective styling (buns, wigs, etc)

Regi is work in progress. I want long, healthy hair -- I'm greedy; I want it all.

My 2011 length goal is full BSL; I've been there before. My 2012 goal and my ultimate goal is MBL...that would be a new length for me.

30something

Took me 11 months to learn this, but my hair needs to be left alone. Like how it was before this HHJ. Also learned that heat is my friend, not best friend.. not an enemy. My hair needs to be very basic, I'm not doing any more marathons.

Longer hair

While enjoying it.

Are you doggedly determined to make a certain length, or are you more focused on the overall health of your hair and nailing down your regimen?
Focusing on being content and realistic.

Well, not really. Maybe not as thick.

maxineshaw

I want to be BSL by the end of 2011.

Daily rinsing=devil
Scalp needs a little grease...esp. in the winter
A simple regimen is all it needs

Your regimen?

Prepoo overnight with EVOO
Wash, detangle, and style

Products:
Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo
Tresemme Moisture Rich Conditioner
Organics Texture My Way Lotion
Hot Six Oil
EVOO
Softee Indian Hemp

I want to become an expert at styling my hair-braiding, twisting, the whole 9.

Practice!!!!!!!

Hmmmm....I have my reggie nailed, and my hair is quite healthy. However, I'm not thirsty to get the length. I know if I take good care of my hair, I will retain the length. Simple as that.

Yes.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Nice thread!

My hair is coarse and naturally very porous.

My hair loves small doses of protein every wash as opposed to heavy doses once in a while.

My scalp needs to shampooed frequently, even if I don't put any product on it.

I can DC without heat just fine

No-lye wreaks havoc on my hair

Your regimen?

Pre-poo
Wash
light/medium protein tx
moisture DC
M&S
Airdry

Henna every 4-6 weeks

I still have 2" of overprocessed ends that I want to get rid of gradually.

I would like to reach APL

1-2x weekly DC
No heat
M&S daily
Hiding my ends (buns, wigs etc)

Honestly its 50-50.

No, but it will be the first time in almost a decade. So I'm excited like I've never been that length before :grin: