David Banner says Black Women Should Not Perm Their Hair

comike

I was on Mediatakeout.com and found this article.
http://www.mediatakeout.com/2009/30...t_black_women_should_not_perm_their_hair.html
I get the point he's trying to make about we should not use chemicals to alter our hair but not certain quotes like “Perming your hair is a clear example of ‘black-on-black crime". At the same time he does have to realize not every black women perms their hair for the same reason and to each is own.

Black women don't "perm" their hair....they RELAX their hair.

Sistaslick

I don't know who is worse-- the ones that say that every single black woman with a relaxer is self-hating . . . or the ones who say that every single black woman absolutely "needs" a relaxer. :rolleyes:

jada1111

Emm, there are natural women in the entertainment industry who are just looking for any opportunity to be on TV. The girl from "Rock of love" was natural but she wore a wig most of the time. If it was that important to him; He could easily find natural haired women to be on his videos. Or he could even have them wear and Afro wig or weave. There is no excuse for what he said.

Agreed. He needs to LIVE what he's talking about.

franknbeans82

david banner can't speak for every last black woman, especially considering that we do not all think w/ the same mind and share the same intentions behind our actions. as an educated man, he should know better than to make generalizations like that.

Last edited:

Tee

Bottom line is, he is not the one paying for it or combing it so it's a matter of personal choice... I don't relax my hair, but I don't assume that every relaxed-haired woman has issues with her origins unless she clearly voices it.
Basically. So I am going to need him to go sit down in a corner and rethink the stupidity that came out of his mouth!

Vanity1

So why did the girl he was with when I saw him at Red Lobster last month have a relaxer. :look: A bad one at that. Homegirl hair was ate up.

Prose Princess

http://www.mediatakeout.com/2009/30...t_black_women_should_not_perm_their_hair.html
I get the point he's trying to make about we should not use chemicals to alter our hair but not certain quotes like “Perming your hair is a clear example of ‘black-on-black crime". At the same time he does have to realize not every black women perms their hair for the same reason and to each is own.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

What an IDIOT! No wonder "our" music is generally so bad these days. These are types of people we have making it. :nono: Pretty sad actually. Still, I had to laugh. Black-on-black crime lolololol. That must have been in his vault of like 6 words he pulls out when he wants to make a "statement":

1. Black-on-black crime
2. Bush (no longer effective)
3. Expletive
4. Expletive
5. Expletive
6. Expletive

Lol hahahahaha I love making fun of stupid people who think they're smart. :drunk:

Tee

Isn't perm short for permanent relaxer? I have always used both interchangeably.
No, they are different. Perms are actually what most white women get to make their hair curly. We get relaxers. They are different. (Even though I saw one black lady who used Wen; and Chaz (I think that is name) said he put a curly perm in her hair.) But for the most part, we get relaxers, not perms. :up:

N.P.R. Addict

Actually, I think Perms curl your hair and Relaxers loosen the curl, they're pretty much opposites

No, they are different. Perms are actually what most white women get to make their hair curly. We get relaxers. They are different. (Even though I saw one black lady who used Wen; and Chaz (I think that is name) said he put a curly perm in her hair.) But for the most part, we get relaxers, not perms. :up:

I hear what you both are saying but since perm is just short for permanent, wouldn't the ones for whites be curly permanents and ours be permanent relaxers (although neither is a permanent because you have to redo them.) I also know that we use the term relaxer far more often than perm but I have heard people use them interchangeably. Not a big deal, just noting the use of terms. Carry on!

pinkchocolatedaisy

Ok...I still don't know who he is!!!! :wallbash: And even if it is the casting director that picks the models/whatever for the videos, doesn't the performer have a say in it at all?

MrJohnsonsRib

For a minute before I read the article I was thinking wow a man that supports a natural woman....NOT! He need to Q U I T before we perm him in his sleep! lol!

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
Even though it was poorly said, I get the gist of what he is trying to say. He is equating relaxers with AA women self hate. He was attempting to respond to someone else's claim that they straighten their hair for professionalism and such. I know people who still think they need to do it for that reason or to be accepted by the y.t.'s too. I think he is really trying to say those women that they need to have more courage to be themselves and not relax for that reason alone.

Also, I remember him saying in another interview that when he does positive music, it doesn't sell. I think he is still in the hustle mode and cannot truely afford (he doesn't have a huge fan base) to let his true voice be heard yet. It took him a long time to get where he is and he said he puts out what the people want/willing to buy, not necessarily what he wants.

I'm a little partial to him. He's from my hometown.

smwrigh3

My motto " live your life" who is this fool anyway. COme on, he is a rapper. The same one who has women shaking their behinds in a video doing the same thing we have been seeing in every other rapper's videos for the last ten years. Every girl I see in his video is relaxed. So what is he saying? One minute ur helping to degrade women and the next ur a philosopher about what a real "black woman" is oh please. Like India Aire says " I am not my hair".........Next

Hey I'm new by the way guys ...HI

Hello Steph!! and you took the words right outta my mouth!!!

Lucky's Mom

February 23, 2009. MediaTakeOut.com has learned that rapper David Banner is calling Black women out - about their hair. In a recent talk, he claims that Black women are committing black-on-black crime when we perm our hair.

Here’s his quote, as reported by the Times And Democrat

In a question-and-answer session, Banner challenged black women in attendance to explain why they perm and straighten their hair. In response came the defense that “hair perming” is equated with being able to get a decent job as a professional and not being viewed as a threat by bosses who are usually of a different race.

“This is what I mean when I say black people don’t love themselves,” Banner said. “Perming your hair is a clear example of ‘black-on-black crime’ and media control. Black-on-black crime is not just a black person committing a violent act against another black person.
This is an age old argument, usually made by men – who have NEVER dated a woman with natural hair. We know there’s SOME merit to what he’s saying, but we ain’t trying to hear this argument from this dude.

David … until we see natural haired chicks EXCLUSIVELY in your videos … you really need to close your trap. …

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

First things first.... He is a RAPPER. I can't remember the last time a RAPPER respected women.....

Number two... Wha???? Who are you again????

Whatever, loser. The article said best.....

Lucky's Mom

Even though it was poorly said, I get the gist of what he is trying to say. He is equating relaxers with AA women self hate. He was attempting to respond to someone else's claim that they straighten their hair for professionalism and such. I know people who still think they need to do it for that reason or to be accepted by the y.t.'s too. I think he is really trying to say those women that they need to have more courage to be themselves and not relax for that reason alone.

Also, I remember him saying in another interview that when he does positive music, it doesn't sell. I think he is still in the hustle mode and cannot truely afford (he doesn't have a huge fan base) to let his true voice be heard yet. It took him a long time to get where he is and he said he puts out what the people want/willing to buy, not necessarily what he wants.

I understand what he may have WANTED to communicate.... And it did not come across... clearly....

I still think he does not have a leg to stand on.

ctosha

Ok...I still don't know who he is!!!! :wallbash: And even if it is the casting director that picks the models/whatever for the videos, doesn't the performer have a say in it at all?
To answer this question the rappers do have a say on what girls should appear in their video and its always the same type of girls, the "exotic" looking light skinned girl with long hair. He should practice what she preaches. When I see a natural head up in his video then he can talk

ceebee3

I don't agree with what he said or how he stated it but I do think he was trying to make a valid point. I think most women who relax do so because they just don't feel comfortable with their natural hair. Sure, there will always be a lot of slack for people who point that out but that is the reality and it's wrong. There are also so many other things we do that go against the natural order of things but everyone is always quick to point out the relaxing thing.

MrJohnsonsRib

Okay. Thanks I suppose he had a not so pretty way of expressing his thoughts ,but I could believe he was trying to say something positive. Excuse my previous bashing, it was all in fun...hopefully if he's serious he will find the courage to be set apart from the world and create something the Father can be glorified thru, that's if he's a Christian....bless his heart.

glamazon386

Emm, there are natural women in the entertainment industry who are just looking for any opportunity to be on TV. The girl from "Rock of love" was natural but she wore a wig most of the time. If it was that important to him; He could easily find natural haired women to be on his videos. Or he could even have them wear and Afro wig or weave. There is no excuse for what he said.

I'm sorry but if I was an aspiring actress and wanted to be taken seriously I would not resort to a$$ shaking just to be seen. Rarely do people parlay being a video vixen into a legitimate acting career.

glamazon386

The CASTING director casts the models, not the performer. Duh.

Basically. And if you don't fit that exotic mold, more than likely you will not make it onto the set. They're trying to sell records and appeal to the masses. They ain't thinking about us or what we think.

glamazon386

Thank you. That's what I took from it. His words were poorly orchestrated, but I got his gist. The comment was made in the context of that situation. It wasn't like he randomly came out with David Banner says.... :rolleyes: