Women Lying About Having A Perm

options

I was in the elevator at work this morning. There were two black women who appeared to be in their late 40s or early 50s in the elevator as well. One said to the other that she had nice hair, how did she get it so straight. The woman in question has deep black hair with a nice sheen that was indeed really, really straight. She said she has a "decent grade" of hair and is a "press & curl girl" but knows nothing about handling her own hair and trusts her stylist completely.

She asked the woman if she had a perm. The woman said no. Now this woman obviously had a perm. Her hair was slightly longer than shoulder-length and the ends looked a little dry and frayed and she had new growth!

I thought to myself, "Why lie when it is obvious you have a perm? If you are not born with straight hair, want straight hair and obviously undergo the chemical processes to have straight hair, why lie?"

Help me out.

Crysdon

She may have been telling the truth. I was all natural for three years and I got my hair blowdried and flat ironed occassionally and everyone thought I had a relaxer with this procedure.

MizAvalon

I agree, she may not have been lying. It's amazing what heat styling tools can do. But then again, you can't put anything past anybody. There are people here on this board that claim to be natural who I think probably have texturizers based on their pictures. But, hey you never know.

options

I mean, I will never know factually if she was lying or not, but it really reminded me of those hair magazines and stars lying about having a relaxer or a weave.

I think she was lying though.

Tru_Mind

Yes, she could be telling the truth. I flat iron my naturally curly hair, and it does look relaxed, but it's all one color, silkier and softer.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
if she was lying, she might have felt a sense of jealousy or competition. i mean the lady said she had a decent grade of hair (thats ignorant enough) as if to say, since her hair texture is X she doesnt NEED a perm, so that probably tweeked some feelings in the other lady

naptrl

Dr. Naptrl :)
Yeah, when my hair is pressed, it's straighter than it was when I was relaxed! If you let it stay pressed long enough and sweat possibly or the shower gets to it a little, then it can look like you have new growth at the roots...

Carlie

[ QUOTE ]
naptrl said:
Yeah, when my hair is pressed, it's straighter than it was when I was relaxed! If you let it stay pressed long enough and sweat possibly or the shower gets to it a little, then it can look like you have new growth at the roots...

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly...my sisters' presses usually last a really long time and the first part that starts to frizz/revert is the roots. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MonaLisa

I'm gonna throw this in...then run away...

A Perm is a process that produces curls, A Relaxer straightens curly hair...

so...thinking this should read...Women lying about having a relaxer...

*running away now before I get jumped...*

G

[ QUOTE ]
MizAvalon said:
I agree, she may not have been lying. It's amazing what heat styling tools can do. But then again, you can't put anything past anybody. There are people here on this board that claim to be natural who I think probably have texturizers based on their pictures. But, hey you never know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Lots of lies /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
well a perm is different than a relaxer. maybe when she was asked that, she might have took it as merely a perm which curls your hair, not a relaxer that straightens your hair.

But maybe she did have natural hair that wasnt all the way straighten at the roots. that could be a sign that it's natural if it wasnt straight all the way through her hair. Who knows!?

options

Well, colloquially speaking, most black people say "perm" and mean "relaxer."

As for folks on here having relaxers and/or texturizers and lying about it, someone PM me the suspects. I want to view their albums. LOL.

MonaLisa

[ QUOTE ]
options said:
As for folks on here having relaxers and/or texturizers and lying about it, someone PM me the suspects. I want to view their albums. LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Spit! Oh Snap! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

redeemed516

ok honeydewdrop...this is off topic...but I have been crackin up off your avatar all day!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pookeylou

Okaaayyy...as far as lying about being natural yet having a texturizer...help me again. Why would you do that?

Crysdon

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> well a perm is different than a relaxer. maybe when she was asked that, she might have took it as merely a perm which curls your hair, not a relaxer that straightens your hair. </pre><hr />

/images/graemlins/confused.gif Anytime you ask a Black person about a perm, just about 99.9% of them know that you're talking about straightening the hair. Even though the correct term is "Relaxer", we've all used the term "Perm".

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> But maybe she did have natural hair that wasnt all the way straighten at the roots. that could be a sign that it's natural if it wasnt straight all the way through her hair. Who knows!? </pre><hr />

It is possible to get the roots just as straight as the ends. I got my (then natural) hair blown out and flat ironed at one of the Egyptian shops in Chicago and and my roots were silky.

Queenie

[ QUOTE ]
KarmenDeaha said:
[ QUOTE ]
MizAvalon said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Lots of lies /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? That suprises me. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif I'd like to know too.

Tru_Mind

I haven't noticed anyone lying about being texturized, but hair type...OH YES! I remember someone saying the their hair type is the same texturized as it is natural. Doesn't a texturizer change the hair texture? If it's the same why get it texturized? Please let me know if I'am wrong ladies, because I have never had a texturizer. I always thought that a texturizer was just a mild relaxer.

InsertCleverNameHere

[ QUOTE ]
Carlie said:
[ QUOTE ]
naptrl said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly...my sisters' presses usually last a really long time and the first part that starts to frizz/revert is the roots. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA.

MizAvalon

[ QUOTE ]
tru_mind said:
I haven't noticed anyone lying about being texturized, but hair type...OH YES! I remember someone saying the their hair type is the same texturized as it is natural. Doesn't a texturizer change the hair texture? If it's the same why get it texturized? Please let me know if I'am wrong ladies, because I have never had a texturizer. I always thought that a texturizer was just a mild relaxer.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif For some reason this was hilarious to me!

Crysdon

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on the person's hair, a texturizer can do one or more of the following:

1) Loosen/stretch the curl pattern.

2) Soften the curl you already have and not loosen the curl pattern.

3) Soften and loosen the curl pattern.

So yes, that poster could be telling the truth. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Crysdon

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on the person's hair, a texturizer can do one or more of the following:

1) Loosen/stretch the curl pattern.

2) Soften the curl you already have and not loosen the curl pattern.

3) Soften and loosen the curl pattern.

So yes, that poster could be telling the truth. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

unlvgirl

My Crown and Glory
That happens to my hair in the summer. I get it pressed every two weeks but it is over 110 degrees here in Vegas in the summer so my scalp immediately reverts while the rest of my hair is mostly straight. /images/graemlins/mad.gif I'll have to post pics of this

Ayeshia

when I provided my email address with my fotki account...people asked me if I had a texturizer. Why would you ask me that if it already states in my album that Im natural? Honestly. /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Its not that serious (well at least for me it isnt). No one needs to lie. /images/graemlins/nono.gif

Oh and I flat ironed someones hair last week...and her her hair was natural. When she attenpted to straighten it herself before she asked me, she wasnt able to straigthen her roots by herself. So it looked like she had a relaxer with about two months of new growth...when she really didnt. Her flat iron that she had was too big to get to her roots, so I used my 1" flat iron and it did the trick /images/graemlins/smile.gif

renee_n_3000

[ QUOTE ]
options said:
Well, colloquially speaking, most black people say "perm" and mean "relaxer."

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, and I believe the reason for this is that the term "perm" only refers to the "permanent" change to the hair. Straight hair can be permanently changed to be curly, while curly hair can be changed to be permanently straight. So, generally speaking, white people get what they call "curly perms" and black people get what we call "straight perms," which are also called relaxers. The word perm is used by all involved, and it just depends on who is talking and no one is incorrect. It's is a colloquial term, as you stated. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Many white people do not understand this when talking to a Black person and may try to argue with them that a perm can only refer to making straight hair curly. I've heard these heated conversations firsthand. That is because, generally speaking, white people are not as educated about our culture as we are about their dominant culture and tend to feel that they have "ownership" of the term.

aqualung

I would have been annoyed if I were the straight haired woman. She told her questioner what she wanted her to know. Leave her alone! I don't like it when strangers get too familiar.

Nay

Our hair is so INTERESTING that maybe she wasn't lying.

I've had someone ask me if I had a texturizer when I wear my hair in twistouts. Nope, it's as afrotastic as the next gals.

I've also suggested to a friend who complimented me on my hair that she should try a twistout, and her response was, "No, I don't have THAT kind of hair," meaning my hair
was something special. I had to show her my picture of my hair washed and dried with no conditioner to show her that THIS kind of hair is, again, nothing super-duper unique, just afrotastic.

Afrotastic = Just regular ol' hair that is quite versatile.

renee_n_3000

I've had a couple of people express disappointment when they gave a compliment then asked, "And you don't have a perm, right?" When I told them yes, I do (texturizer) they looked crushed and confused. I don't know why. /images/graemlins/confused.gif I feel like I should say, "I'm sorry." /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

SilkyandSmooth

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
How do you "know" when someone has a perm?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't unless you're that person's hair stylist. It is very difficult to tell the difference between relaxed and pressed hair.