Longer haired black women not quite such a rarity anymore?

MizAvalon

I've been slowly noticing this for the past couple of years but much more lately. Now most black women that I see out and about have short(ish) hair. That's just a fact. But I notice lately that I'm starting to see more black women and more often, that have longer hair. Even with the shorter haired women I don't see chewed up, damaged heads as much as I used to.

Anyone else seeing this same thing in their area? :)

sareca

I haven't noticed that here but I'm glad it's happening somewhere. :up:
I would love nothing more than black women being thought of like
Ojon women. :love:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
My mother was just here from Atlanta and she marveled at all the long, gorgeous heads of hair here in the D.C. area. Remember, this is coming from someone from Atlanta where there are beautiful girls with beautiful hair everywhere! But I just think it's indicative of the larger trend of more black women being concerned about their health and looking good.

That's just my opinion.:yep:

cocoberry10

My mother was just here from Atlanta and she marveled at all the long, gorgeous heads of hair here in the D.C. area. Remember, this is coming from someone from Atlanta where there are beautiful girls with beautiful hair everywhere! But I just think it's indicative of the larger trend of more black women being concerned about their health and looking good.

That's just my opinion.:yep:

That’s interesting, b/c I’ve always thought of ATL as a place that you see a lot of beautiful healthy heads of natural (real) hair. Especially the Spelman women!

But to answer OP’s question…Maybe many women have benefitted from this site:lol:. I think there are a lot more people on here and similar sites than we realize. There are a lot of lurkers!

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
I'm in Boston and I definitely see more long-haired women than ever, and I see a lot of humanity riding the train into Downtown for work. It's a real turnaround from a few years ago. I'm convinced half the women in Boston are lurking here.... :sekret:

And then, I wonder if they're looking at me on the train, wondering the same thing! :lol:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
That’s interesting, b/c I’ve always thought of ATL as a place that you see a lot of beautiful healthy heads of natural (real) hair. Especially the Spelman women!

But to answer OP’s question…Maybe many women have benefitted from this site:lol:. I think there are a lot more people on here and similar sites than we realize. There are a lot of lurkers!

That is certainly the truth. I grew up in Atlanta and the city is known for its hair care industry. And yes, Spelman is known for the on-campus beauties. I'm thinking that my mother lives in an area where she doesn't have that much contact with black people, so she probably had forgotten about the culture. Here in D.C., there are some fantastic hair salons, and I've noticed that Howard University women always look fly and their hair is always on point. I'm always in awe when I take my long walks home but I've had to force myself not to stare; they probably think I'm crazy or something. :drunk: So, Howard ladies: if you see a black woman walking on Georgia Avenue tomorrow afternoon towards Maryland, and she's staring at your lovely hair, that would be me. Feel free to ask if I'm Nikko's counsin.:lachen:

Sunshine_One: I'mma make a stop at Vivanti's for my Elucence Moisture Balance Conditioner. :kiss:

cutiebe2

I'm in Boston and I definitely see more long-haired women than ever, and I see a lot of humanity riding the train into Downtown for work. It's a real turnaround from a few years ago. I'm convinced half the women in Boston are lurking here.... :sekret:

And then, I wonder if they're looking at me on the train, wondering the same thing! :lol:
Your in Boston?! Im here right now for school
at my school I see more natural hair than I though there would be. It seems like a lot of girls got frustrated and cut off their hair ...their are a lot of girls with TWA (that don't seem to be growing:perplexed) but its a start!!!

Colliecole

:ohwell: All weaves and damaged hair out here in Cali. Every once in a while I see healthy 4 type hair, but with these new un-detectable weaves...who knows.

WonderfullyMade

Not seeing much going here yet (Florida) :nono:

What part of Florida are you located?? Here at UF (Gainesville) I am starting to notice the longer haired heads... But then again these ladies come from all over the state and some are out of state.

ETA: I AM also noticing a lot more 3B and 3C heads as well... I honestly don't even think I knew this many black ppl with that hair type before a few years ago. I got tired of asking if ppl were "mixed" a long time ago and finally just realized that "black" hair came in ALL textures. LHCF definitely added to this conclusion.

Last edited:

janeemat

Not here. I've seen a few healthy natural heads. The relaxed heads are still tore up, weaved up or braided up. No pun intended.

Creatividual

I live in Queens Ny and I'm still seeing lots of chewed up ends, bad weaves, braids that BEEN needed taken out and thin, dry hair neck length and shorter.:perplexed I hope that will change soon!

The city's better though. :grin:

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
Your in Boston?! Im here right now for school
at my school I see more natural hair than I though there would be. It seems like a lot of girls got frustrated and cut off their hair ...their are a lot of girls with TWA (that don't seem to be growing:perplexed) but its a start!!!

Defintely! There is a noticeable decline in relaxed heads in Boston. Actually, I've noticed a lot more women sporting gorgeous, healthy locs.

It really isn't. I think women are getting tired of getting their hair fried, dyed, and laid to the side:lachen:
I think more people are aware that growing your own hair long is achievable and you don't have to have "good genes"

Britt

Long hair has never been a rarity here in NYC.. I see heads of long healthy hair every day :yep:.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I see very few women with long beautiful hair where I live. Most of them don't have hair past SL that even looks remotely healthy. Still a lot of weaves, braids and wigs.

Glib Gurl

I've been slowly noticing this for the past couple of years but much more lately. Now most black women that I see out and about have short(ish) hair. That's just a fact. But I notice lately that I'm starting to see more black women and more often, that have longer hair. Even with the shorter haired women I don't see chewed up, damaged heads as much as I used to.

Anyone else seeing this same thing in their area? :)

I am noticing it more, too . . . mostly because of a result of my participation on LHCF. I guess in the past I would have just assumed that the women are wearing weaves. But now that I've seen so many examples here of what good hair care can do, I'm more likely to really look at the hair, inspect it (from a safe distance! *lol*) and see that it is real.

Energee

I've noticed this a lot in my area. I either see women with healthy hair of their own and most times it's shoulder length or longer----or I see women with weaves. I also see a lot of healthy short styles in my area...but definitely lots if healthy longer hair here:yep:.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
I'm not seeing it much in Cali..maybe the hotter states have a harder time with haircare b/c the weather is unforgiving..no moisture..I can attest to that definantly.

ChocalateDiva

I notice women with long hair more often now that i have started my journey. I was wondering if they have alway been around and i just didnt notice.............kinda like when you get a new car- then u start to see that make and model EVERYWHERE!!

Mortons

And you know this, man :lachen: