Longer haired black women not quite such a rarity anymore?

PeggyFair

Here in DC, we got alot of naturals and loc'd women. I don't see many BW at all with long hair, usually SL and shorter, but it looks healthy..HOWEVER, I notice alot of Black girls(16 and under), with VERY dry hair with jagged edges and looking uncombed on my way to work in the morning. What's up with this??

jada1111

ohhhh no you didnt go there......lol......i was thinking the same thing but didnt wanna get slammed.....lol..........:look:

Slammed?? For what? Speaking the truth?

Please. It is very, very rare to see a black women with long hair that belongs to them in LA. It's either weaves, wigs or extension braids.

Loc'd women tend to be holding it down though.

Jynkx

Slammed?? For what? Speaking the truth?

Please. It is very, very rare to see a black women with long hair that belongs to them in LA. It's either weaves, wigs or extension braids.

Loc'd women tend to be holding it down though.

i have been noticing more loc's lately.
@ bolded..... i didnt know til about 5 years ago that most of the other race girls are weavin it up trhe way they are here in la. its crazy. now i am always playin "spot the weave" with my husband. its hours and hours of fun...lol you even catch the odd man with a weave out here......lol

lovinmylocs

That is so cute!!

Side note---Where in NYC are you ladies seeing all of this great hair? I have noticed in Brooklyn that there are a lot of natural haired beauties, and when I go downtown I see soem pretty heads of hair, but in Queens, I rarely see ladies with their own long hair, mostly just a regular wrap, or false hair. Now the Dominican girls in my neighborhood have some doobies going on.

I don't know where they are seeing them either. I'm in B'klyn and on my way home I see some of the most jacked up hair. I see a lot of naturals in the city and then I see a lot of long weaves some of them are a H.A.M.

ITA agree about the Domincans...they hook it up.

chebaby

i live in the DMV. and i noticed that in Vaginia there are alot of black ladies with longish healthy hair. but i have family in NY and when i visit i see sooooooo many long haired ladies. my cousin in NY always had short(nl) hair and when i saw her herhair was mbl. she said she was letting the africans do her hair. we thought she meant braids. come to find out she meant the Dominicans

PeggyFair

i live in the DMV. and i noticed that in Vaginia there are alot of black ladies with longish healthy hair. but i have family in NY and when i visit i see sooooooo many long haired ladies. my cousin in NY always had short(nl) hair and when i saw her herhair was mbl. she said she was letting the africans do her hair. we thought she meant braids. come to find out she meant the Dominicans

LOL!!!:lachen:

Zsazsa6275

I think it really depends on who you are around.

While I do agree that many black women here in Southern Cal wear weaves, there are plenty that do not wear them. Most of my friends have hair that is between MBL and tailbone length. The only friend of mine that wears a weave does so to have "perfect" hair. Her own hair is MBL. I also have family and co-workers with long hair also.

Maybe it's just my experience. I see plenty of woman wearing their own hair and it is flowing down their back.

PinkPeony

You got that right. Some guy I know in Houston, whom I actually met in Barcelona nearly 3 years ago, dated a member of this board some years ago. I PM'd her and asked her if she did and she said yes. Considering I live nearly 5,000 miles away that was a very close coincidence indeed.

FYI I was NOT romantically involved with this guy at all. Strictly friends.

Oh and how could I forget another member Integrity. Came to found out I lived slap bang next door to her pastor and his family that she's known since she was a little girl.
Oh wow how'd I miss this?
Very interesting LD:yep:

BklynHeart

I don't know where they are seeing them either. I'm in B'klyn and on my way home I see some of the most jacked up hair. I see a lot of naturals in the city and then I see a lot of long weaves some of them are a H.A.M.

ITA agree about the Domincans...they hook it up.

I'm mostly in Manhattan so I see a lot of long-haired sistas. Around my job area they are a dime a dozen. And when I used to live in Bklyn I saw quite a few long-haired ones as well.

To me its been going on for the past 8 years.

crazydaze911

i see them mostly in manhattan too (i work in midtown). i live in bx but dont really get out and about much in my neighborhood so i dont notice it there. i've been noticing it about 5 years now - perhaps b/c the relaxers have evolved and more black hair products contain oil and moisturizing agents...

My mom and I are/have been noticing the same thing. I think its a combo of better products and better knowledge. She thinks so too. My mom never had hair below collar bone. Its always been thin but now its APL. She contributes her hair growth to C&G techniques. I contribute it to her protective styles, less relaxing, and better products. Me on the other hand. Ive always had hair but its longer and stronger now. I contribute it to no relaxing and better products and care. I tend to think there are more people going back to natural hair now. Or atleast not processing hair to the nth degree.

Barbara

Princess
I'm in Boston and I definitely see more long-haired women than ever, and I see a lot of humanity riding the train into Downtown for work. It's a real turnaround from a few years ago. I'm convinced half the women in Boston are lurking here.... :sekret:

And then, I wonder if they're looking at me on the train, wondering the same thing! :lol:

I've wondered the same thing about women in Los Angeles. I think to myself: "Are they reading this forum and applying the techniques, or are they buying 100 percent natural hair?

Last edited:

MrsHdrLe

It's nice to see a beautiful head of thick hair on a BW and not assume it's not hers. I admit in the past, I would have assumed the former and now I assume it's hers (after it can be.) Thanks to LHCF for educating me on the possibilities:grin:

RedVelvet310

What I'm noticing is the girls (some anyway) who USED to have the chewed up hair back in high school are actually rocking better hair now :grin:. The black girls in hs with "long" (that term being VERY subjective :look:) hair that used to tease the girls with the drier hair, their hair is either the same length, or shorter (not on purpose). Intresting :scratchch

Avan207

Back in NC it's still your typical fried, dyed, dried...make u wanna run & hide...lol. I live in NOVA now and I don't see any black women...but when I go to D.C. I'm like wowww...all types of beautiful textures and long haired women. My bff and I be whispering is she Niko's cousin? :look: But ATL is home of the best IMO I thought that way before I knew about proper hair care...I've always wondered what's the ATL secret

Can't cosign on that! Now if you'd said micro braided to death maybe. I started seeing a trend of healthy hair about six years ago but I attributed it to all the cheapie shops popping up. Now, I am seeing that it is just better education about hair.

beans4reezy

I have noticed the same thing!! I live in NY...two weeks ago, my SO and I saw a AA girl with amazing, MBL hair. It was sooooo pretty, I had to ask about her reggie. Then, last Saturday we were at the Red Lobster and I said to my SO, "Ummmm are they only hiring Black girls with long, pretty hair here?"

I really feel as if Healthy Hair Care practices are gaining a lot more momentum in our community...go us! Go us! Go us!

andromeda

Yup, I've definitely noticed this too. Before I started researching healthy hair care practices, I noticed when I would go to my local Dominican salon that more and more women who wouldn't stereotypically be expected to have long hair had long, healthy hair. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone for a moment bc I would think "How Shaniqua and them got such long, healthy hair and I don't:ohwell:?" (I know, I'm wrong) When I first found LHCF, I was like "Maybe there were Nikko's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd cousins or a friends with Nikko's cousin:lachen:".

Anyways, it's a beautiful thing to see healthy heads of relaxed and natural hair and I would attribute it to better products and the availability of info on the internet.