Longer haired black women not quite such a rarity anymore?

A

AmilLion

I've noticed this in New York, especially when Dominican salons started to gain popularity back in the early 90s. Before, all we had were the Black Hair Is and "black" salons that loved to utilize the black gel, curling irons and etc. I never knew what a deep conditioner and it's importance until I started frequenting the Dominican Salons back in 1994.

PinkPeony

:yep:
Actually, this is the Law of Attraction at work! :yep:

I believe sightings of black, long-haired women will increase until it becomes the norm. As the consciousness of people change (of all races), the reality changes until it there is a match.
I believe it is a mix of L.O.A. and the six degrees of seperation:yep:.
Almost every bw out there(at least in the us) is somehow connected to someone that is on a hairboard or into black healthy hair,as the knowledge slowly seeps through our general conscious the perception of bw's hair will change:yep:

Kawaii1

I have seen the brokest pay $$$ for some good hair. They recycle it like crazy. But that what you are suppose to do.

I mean like the good weaves like kelly gets not those sew-ins and glue or whatever. The bonding ones were they apply glue to single hair strands and attach that to yours. They seal it on with heat. Now if that's what you mean, I had no idea you could recycle that stuff!

blue_flower

I've been slowly noticing this for the past couple of years but much more lately. Now most black women that I see out and about have short(ish) hair. That's just a fact. But I notice lately that I'm starting to see more black women and more often, that have longer hair. Even with the shorter haired women I don't see chewed up, damaged heads as much as I used to.

Anyone else seeing this same thing in their area? :)

I haven't noticed that in my area.

darkangel25

Co-signin'!!! I believe it can be pretty darn to detect an 'on-point' weave and trust, there are average women who will put that hair on lay-away if necessary...

lol True.

I am not noticing much in the part of Florida that I live in. Shoulder length or less is pretty much the norm here. I don't remember the last time I saw a black woman with long hair. :(

OneInAMillion

I've noticed this in New York, especially when Dominican salons started to gain popularity back in the early 90s. Before, all we had were the Black Hair Is and "black" salons that loved to utilize the black gel, curling irons and etc. I never knew what a deep conditioner and it's importance until I started frequenting the Dominican Salons back in 1994.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with this! I've learned so much about my hair and healthy hair practices by going to Dominican salons. I think I started in 2001 during college...and my hair took off from there.

pistachio

It's still a rarity here in Louisville. I have only seen less than a handful of chicks lately whose hair is even anywhere near the level of health of the ladies here on this forum...

Energist

Well the weaves are so darned great now, that I can't really tell what is what :sad: However, I did this one girls hair for a wedding a few months back, who had really healthy and thick apl hair. I commented on what great condition her hair was in and she ate it up and started raving about her salon lol. She was talking about Design Essentials a great deal. Then I saw another last year who had healthy, long bsl hair that I could tell was hers.

DarkVictory

I've been slowly noticing this for the past couple of years but much more lately. Now most black women that I see out and about have short(ish) hair. That's just a fact. But I notice lately that I'm starting to see more black women and more often, that have longer hair. Even with the shorter haired women I don't see chewed up, damaged heads as much as I used to.

Anyone else seeing this same thing in their area? :)

Not seeing much progress in my area. The unfortunate-looking "IT'S NOT MY HAIR, I STOLE IT FROM BUFFY" weave is still going strong in Southern Cali. There do seem to be more and more folks wearing locs.

bravenewgirl87

I'm from the south and you don't see women who short hair, really. Not unless they are older or going natural.

But, you can pretty much tell the socio-economic situation of the women with weaves. THey are usually very poor, ghetto, without decent family structures. Very Very strange how that happens.

But, yeah. Black women have long hair all over the south. Go to ATL or come to my city and you'll see waist-length and midback.

Misseyl

I don't see much long haired people here in New York. I've seen some but on average, I've seen much more people with jacked up hair, some on young girls -- hair just standing on end, short and crispy, doing nothing but looking dry. Some time ago, I would love to pass on my passion and love for hair care but now, I don't care who knows about this site. This is just my little secret because if I were to tell them, they probably won't have the patience it takes to grow hair. With that being said, I want to congratulate all the women on here who have managed to buckle down and do what’s necessary to have long, healthy hair. It's not easy because with hair care you have to be consistent with your routine, deal w/tons of new growth, skip the blow-drying and straightened comb, dump the grease and add some protein and finish off with tons of moisture. Congrats girls and let's keep growing.
:yep:

strawberry-jelly

Ever since moving to the south (Miami and ATL) I've seen more black women with long hair. And I'm a ex-weavologist and can spot one a mile away...so I know it's not just that. I always thought it's was because of lots of sun and also the humidity--tho it ruins styles, it's good for hair health.

chichibean

I'm from the south and you don't see women who short hair, really. Not unless they are older or going natural.

But, you can pretty much tell the socio-economic situation of the women with weaves. THey are usually very poor, ghetto, without decent family structures. Very Very strange how that happens.

But, yeah. Black women have long hair all over the south. Go to ATL or come to my city and you'll see waist-length and midback.

For real! That's so true. I was visiting in ATL this past year and there are some beautiful heads of long black hair. It's like they have all the secrets there... and they ain't telling :lachen:

tt8

:ohwell: All weaves and damaged hair out here in Cali. Every once in a while I see healthy 4 type hair, but with these new un-detectable weaves...who knows.

I see "real" healthy long heads all the time at the salon I go to (Johnson and Guess off Robertson). I am the only one with hair just past shoulder length cause I have just grown out my bad ends without BC-ing.

ITA ( southern cali is full of weaves)

Weaves are an epidemic in Cali. But its darn near more economical cuz in LA a visit to the salon is atleast $100 a pop.

:nono: It's still a HOT mess in Memphis, I can tell you that right now.... the heads I see - I swear!!! :lachen: I for real hope they don't PAY people to do that ish to themselves....

Yeah I'm from there and my uncle last Christmas told me my pony tail was swinging like a white girl. My family cracked up when he told me to bottle and sell whatever I was using in Memphis with all the chewed-up hair there:lachen:. It's cause of the salon I go to in LA. I know that a girl named Stephanie used to do my hair in a salon by Liberty Land and that was the healthiest my hair had ever been prior to moving to LA. When I saw her last summer her hair was to her mid-back. Dayim!!!!

tt8

ps...CAN SOMEONE TEACH ME HOW TO MULI-QUOTE...that cuttin and pastin just took up dayim near my entire lunch break :lachen:

Ssert

i'm seeing a lot of natural, healthy heads.:yep: as far as long HEALTHY heads in general, i still see chewed up, matted, see thru hot buttered messes roaming the streets!

SmartyPants

Since I moved back home in May, I have been noticing a lot more black women with long hair (I also have seen a lot more women with very healthy hair that is short by choice). Since LHCF I am also learning to spot weaves and wigs from a mile away.

Now, ya'll know I'm relaxed. But, Sunday I saw this woman with an Angela Davis fro in wig form. I wanted to tell her to just go natural and grow it that way.

SleekandBouncy

I'd have to vote no. It's still a rarity. Amongst women my age I do notice more fab hair which I'm happy about. It's in better condition overall, thicker, bouncier, cute styles and this applies to relaxed, natural, short, med length, and long (though much rarer).
Long hair specifically is still fairly uncommon amongst black women at least in my observations. I think it will take much more time before good hair habits permiate our community .We've been practicing the beat and tackle technique for so long that many of us still think our hair is something bad that must be gelled, greased, and hot combed into submission or relaxed every 4 weeks. The word is getting out, but it takes time.

As for weaves :nono: Too many of us think we don't need to comb the weave hair. I guess straight hair combs itself.
Weaves rarely look natural to me. No two heads of hair are the same, everyone's hair absorbs products differently, has a different natural sheen, etc. I do think track technology has jumped light years, they are so thin now, almost invisible.

Last edited:

andreab

For the most part I see a good number of healthy SL and APL. I can tell the natural and relaxed usally by the thining or uneven ends (which don't look bad just need a trim). I saw one girl today with APL hair and forsure it looked like all of it was her real hair until I saw one piece of lock that did not look real.

tthreat08

Ever since moving to the south (Miami and ATL) I've seen more black women with long hair. And I'm a ex-weavologist and can spot one a mile away...so I know it's not just that. I always thought it's was because of lots of sun and also the humidity--tho it ruins styles, it's good for hair health.

Good point! It's also GREAT for your skin! I love coming back from vacationing in humid territory.

Moroni

I think we may have reached critical mass with longer black hair. It has to do with cosmic knowledge.....anyone interested? Just fyi:

[FONT=Courier New,Courier,serif]100th Monkey Syndrome / Critical Mass Theory[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]It is common for people to say "but what can we do?" or something similar. The critical mass theory explains why we need to be proactive and make the change happen quicker. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]In his book The Hundredth Monkey, Ken Keyes, Jr. wrote about scientists who had been observing monkeys in the wild for thirty years. In 1952, on the island of Koshima, when there was a serious drought & famine, they provided monkeys with sweet potatoes which they had dropped in sand. The monkeys liked the taste of the potatoes but found the sand unpleasant. One day, an eighteen month old monkey washed the potatoes in a nearby stream. She taught the trick to her mother and her playmates, who taught it to their mothers. As the story is told, perhaps 99 monkeys learned to wash their sweet potato between 1952 and 1958. One day the 100th monkey learned to wash the potatoes. Suddenly, almost every monkey on the island began to wash their potatoes before eating them. The added energy of this 100th monkey had somehow created a behavioral breakthrough. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
But, more amazing, the scientists observed that the act of washing sweet potatoes had jumped over the sea, because the colonies of monkeys on other islands, as far as 500 miles away, began washing their sweet potatoes.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]This phenomena is known as "critical mass." When a limited number of people know something in a new way, it remains the conscious property of only those people. However, there is a point at which if only one more person tunes in to a new awareness, that new awareness is picked up by everyone.
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

bravenewgirl87

Am I the only one who thinks black women do not have long hair because we purposely cut our hair to diffreniate themselves from non-blacks? Or to show that they are more progressive and in charge of their feminity?

bravenewgirl87

Hmm. You might be! :lachen:

Remember in the 80s when black women were rocking the feathered long hair. Then Halle Berry came out with the short pageboy, and everyone was rocking that look? Seriously, I don't think its a pandemic amongst black women, as much as it might be a trend. A trend that is soon going to pass.

BeautifulFlower

I attend First Baptist Church of Glenarden in Maryland. It is a mega church of predominantly black upper middle class members. And women in my church have beautiful hair. I would say its split up in thirds. One third have long beautiful hair, the other third is trendy with different cuts, color, and styles, and the other third is just lost and I would love to help them.

Outside of church, yeah its a rarity.

AvaSpeaks

I'd have to vote no. It's still a rarity. Amongst women my age I do notice more fab hair which I'm happy about. It's in better condition overall, thicker, bouncier, cute styles and this applies to relaxed, natural, short, med length, and long (though much rarer).
Long hair specifically is still fairly uncommon amongst black women at least in my observations. I think it will take much more time before good hair habits permiate our community .We've been practicing the beat and tackle technique for so long that many of us still think our hair is something bad that must be gelled, greased, and hot combed into submission or relaxed every 4 weeks. The word is getting out, but it takes time.

As for weaves :nono: Too many of us think we don't need to come the weave hair. I guess straight hair combs itself.
Weaves rarely look natural to me. No two heads of hair are the same, everyone's hair absorbs products differently, has a different natural sheen, etc. I do think track technology has jumped light years, they are so thin now, almost invisible.

I agree with this. I mean some of these weaves are damn good! And the wigs :look: I mean these women out here aren't rocking your grandma's wig no more :lachen:

mona_cherie

I saw the longest hair I've ever seen on a Black woman today. I saw a lesbian chick with her hair parted down the middle and two braids at the front sides of her head that reached down to the pockets of her sagging pants. She didn't have a relaxer either, and it looked like her hair was a 3c/4a. All that hair, and I bet she doesn't even care that she has it :). So it goes.

SleekandBouncy

Am I the only one who thinks black women do not have long hair because we purposely cut our hair to diffreniate themselves from non-blacks? Or to show that they are more progressive and in charge of their feminity?

I think you might be :lol:
If that were the case this site and many others like it wouldn't exist, beauty shops selling pounds and pounds of fake hair wouldn't exist on every corner, and weaveologist wouldn't take up shop in our community by the hundreds. If anything I think black women cut their hair less than most other women. It's only recently that many black salons started offering fashion cuts, layers, thinning, razor cuts, etc. I remember when people thought that was just for white women.

SleekandBouncy

For the most part I see a good number of healthy SL and APL. I can tell the natural and relaxed usally by the thining or uneven ends (which don't look bad just need a trim). I saw one girl today with APL hair and forsure it looked like all of it was her real hair until I saw one piece of lock that did not look real.

A lot of girls are having their ends thinner to look more authentic. I know because I almost got fooled. The stylist thins out the ends to take out the sameness of the length to make it look more natural also using relaxed weave hair instead of naturally straight or wavy hair (which typically has smoother cuticles than 3c/4a/b hair).

Hmmmm....I hate to say it, but I too think you are in the minority with that opinion.

Yesterday, I was in the BSS and there are 2 parts of the store.

The front - were you can pick up hair care

The back - were you can pick up fake hair

Most of women were in The back. And this seems to be the case each time I visit the BSS here. So it is my observation that most of us do desire long hair.