Women Lying About Having A Perm

sengschick

The Bun Master
My natural hair looked relaxed b/c I was blowing and flat ironing it. And my texturized hair looks natural b/c I rarely ever straighten it and my air dry styles have more texture. Now I didn't send out a notice to everyone that knew I was natural letting them know I texturized, so I'm sure they see my big hair now and think, "yeah, her ish is big b/c she's natural." Now that doesn't mean I'm living in denial or lying about having a relaxer. If someone asks or comments on what I did to my hair I tell them. I really don't think the casual observer can tell the difference btwn relaxed and pressed hair on my head at least.

Premierepearl08

[ QUOTE ]
tru_mind said:
I haven't noticed anyone lying about being texturized, but hair type...OH YES! I remember someone saying the their hair type is the same texturized as it is natural. Doesn't a texturizer change the hair texture? If it's the same why get it texturized? Please let me know if I'am wrong ladies, because I have never had a texturizer. I always thought that a texturizer was just a mild relaxer.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair was natural from 1999-2003, and in November I got a texturizer. It *really* relaxed the curl for about 2 weeks. After that, it looked just like my hair but felt different. You can check out my album to see. Someone responded in there that my natural and texturized hair looked the same. Can you imagine having that happen after paying $50 to the stylist?? /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif I was told by someone on this board ( I believe?) that I would need a "corrective" texturizer but I'm still not too sure about having more relaxer applied over chemically treated hair. Just letting you know that this could be possible...

Oddly enough, now that I am all natural again I am thinking about trying the texturizer again. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif Maybe, just maybe, it will work this time.

ImPradaModel

[ QUOTE ]
Queenie said:
[ QUOTE ]
KarmenDeaha said:
[ QUOTE ]
MizAvalon said:
I agree, she may not have been lying. It's amazing what heat styling tools can do. But then again, you can't put anything past anybody. There are people here on this board that claim to be natural who I think probably have texturizers based on their pictures. But, hey you never know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Lots of lies /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? That suprises me. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif I'd like to know too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed this also /images/graemlins/smile.gif

hairlover

[ QUOTE ]
Crysdon said:
She may have been telling the truth. I was all natural for three years and I got my hair blowdried and flat ironed occassionally and everyone thought I had a relaxer with this procedure.

[/ QUOTE ]
i have to agree, i went natural (even cutting off all perm in my head) and my hair, when pressed or flat ironed, was bone straight. everyone thought i had a perm at the time and i didn't. there's even a difference in texture when i'm natural as opposed to relaxed. my relaxed hair is 4a/b, my natural hair is 3b/c. it just depends on the person. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
options said:
Well, colloquially speaking, most black people say "perm" and mean "relaxer."

As for folks on here having relaxers and/or texturizers and lying about it, someone PM me the suspects. I want to view their albums. LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Crysdon said:
Anytime you ask a Black person about a perm, just about 99.9% of them know that you're talking about straightening the hair. Even though the correct term is "Relaxer", we've all used the term "Perm".

[/ QUOTE ]

I know! I know! /images/graemlins/smile.gif I was just throwing an idea out there! /images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm weird! /images/graemlins/weird.gif

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
options said:
As for folks on here having relaxers and/or texturizers and lying about it, someone PM me the suspects. I want to view their albums. LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you thinking there are members here lying about having long natural hair?

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
I really don't see the point in lying saying that you don't have a relaxer or texturizer when you have one. I think it's pretty sad. What would be the point? I mean...aren't you only lying to yourself? /images/graemlins/look.gif

MizAvalon

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
options said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the original person in this thread that said I think there are some natural people on this board that appear to have texturizers. Obviously I don't know for sure, but some pictures do look that way TO ME. I'm not going to say who I think they are because that's basically calling specific people out and saying that they're liars. If we've learned anything from this thread it's that you can't judge hair texture by what it looks like, no one but that woman and her hairdresser know the real truth! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
[ QUOTE ]
hairlover said:
[ QUOTE ]
Crysdon said:
She may have been telling the truth. I was all natural for three years and I got my hair blowdried and flat ironed occassionally and everyone thought I had a relaxer with this procedure.

[/ QUOTE ]
i have to agree, i went natural (even cutting off all perm in my head) and my hair, when pressed or flat ironed, was bone straight. everyone thought i had a perm at the time and i didn't. there's even a difference in texture when i'm natural as opposed to relaxed. my relaxed hair is 4a/b, my natural hair is 3b/c. it just depends on the person. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA about the texture, when my hair was relaxed (I've only done it twice, and it's possible I didn't really know how to care for relaxed hair at all) it was stiff, dry and hard. My natural hair is soft even when it's flat ironed.
And yes, the roots revert first when I flat iron, so it might look like new growth to someone who doesn't know I'm natural. I have a big flat iron so I don't really get to the roots well. It's like this even when I braid my hair for a couple of nights in a row and the majority of my hair is straightened (not totally straight), the roots are still frizzy.

It's sad if people think they have to lie about such a thing as hair. That just means that they themselves think their natural hair is bad or ugly.

brandy

Hairlover said
"there's even a difference in texture when i'm natural as opposed to relaxed. my relaxed hair is 4a/b, my natural hair is 3b/c. it just depends on the person."
/images/graemlins/huh.gif

suncypress

[ QUOTE ]
renee_n_3000 said:
I've had a couple of people express disappointment when they gave a compliment then asked, "And you don't have a perm, right?" When I told them yes, I do (texturizer) they looked crushed and confused. I don't know why. /images/graemlins/confused.gif I feel like I should say, "I'm sorry." /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i can definitely relate to this renee. my natural hair was very similar in texture to my texturized hair, only much thicker. people often asked me if i had a texturizer when my hair was natural. before texturizing i had a mix of 3c/4a, with a few sections that appeared to be 3b. now my hair appears to be more of a uniform 3c, though the part underneath i think is still 4a. anyway, most people assume my hair now is natural and while i am happy to tell them i'm texturized if they ask, i feel bad about it, like i've misrepresented myself as a "natural" head or something.

but i am SURE some people thought i was lying about having a texturizer a few years ago when i was still natural. i used to get really steamed about it, too. now that i am texturized i do recognize the irony that many people assume my hair is natural! /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

bocagirl

[ QUOTE ]
brandy said:
Hairlover said
"there's even a difference in texture when i'm natural as opposed to relaxed. my relaxed hair is 4a/b, my natural hair is 3b/c. it just depends on the person."
/images/graemlins/huh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering too. Can someone please explain?

Carefree

I don't see why anyone on this board would lie about having a texturizer - especially when texturizers/relaxers aren't shunned on this forum?

sbg4evr

It is possible. I use to blowdry my natural hair straight and press the edges. The kids in my youth group that I had a relaxer. One of the girls boldly told me that I had to retouch my relaxer but did not realize that my hair was natural. I have 4a/b hair by the way.

msniq

not trying to be mean but why do you care? LEt that woman say what ever she wants. she was not even talking to you anyway. now if she was talking to you then you could have followed up but even then why? people lie. whether it is about hair, weight, age, whatever at the end of the say none of us are perfect.

MonaLisa

I'm gonna creep in...and run out...
This thread is three posts away from being on the Dr. Phil show...

*Runs out quick!*

MizAvalon

[ QUOTE ]
MonaLisa said:
I'm gonna creep in...and run out...
This thread is three posts away from being on the Dr. Phil show...

*Runs out quick!*

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
actually ive lied about having a perm, only because i didnt feel like explaining everything to this chick.

i do have a relaxer (14 weeks post ) and one day last week i wore my hair pulled back and this girl says to me : do you have a perm right now?

so i know being 14 weeks post, she was going to say a) you need a touch up b) why dont you get a perm? c) did you let it set long enough, d) some other snide comments.

at 8 am i really didnt feel like getting into the conversation of stretching relaxers and trying to find stylists that dont rip your hair out, blah blah blah. either way, my hair didnt appear straight anyway, so she probably wouldnt have believed me. so oh well, i said no to her question. im not even sure what she meant by right now.

but i did wear a twist out the next day and my hair was clearly relaxed /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

model_chick717

[ QUOTE ]
MizAvalon said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
options said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the original person in this thread that said I think there are some natural people on this board that appear to have texturizers. Obviously I don't know for sure, but some pictures do look that way TO ME. I'm not going to say who I think they are because that's basically calling specific people out and saying that they're liars. If we've learned anything from this thread it's that you can't judge hair texture by what it looks like, no one but that woman and her hairdresser know the real truth! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that is a really silly assumption to make--thinking that someone's natural hair LOOKS like a texturizer. Why do you think that they have hair categories (3C, 4A, 4B, etc.) if people's natural hair didn't come in a lot of ranges? So in my mind, I feel like you must see someone that calls themselves natural and I guess it looks too curly to you or something(?), and you assume they must have a texturizer and are lying about it....that's kinda hater-ish, in my opinion.... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

suncypress

[ QUOTE ]
I think that is a really silly assumption to make--thinking that someone's natural hair LOOKS like a texturizer. Why do you think that they have hair categories (3C, 4A, 4B, etc.) if people's natural hair didn't come in a lot of ranges? So in my mind, I feel like you must see someone that calls themselves natural and I guess it looks too curly to you or something(?), and you assume they must have a texturizer and are lying about it....that's kinda hater-ish, in my opinion.... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

model chick, ITA! i was thinking this when i first read the original comment but didn't say anything. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BLESSED1

I'm the opposite: I've been transitioning for awhile and now have brastrap length hair which is about 5-6inches of newgrowth. When I wear my hair in my "wash & go" style my roots are curly but I scrunch up my remaining relaxed hair to try and make it look like I have a kinky/wavy afro. And when some people see me they'll ask if I have all natural hair & I tell them yes even though I haven't cut off my relaxed ends yet. I just like saying that I'm natural, even though I'm not ready to chop off my ends yet but I will after I've transitioned for a year. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
model_chick717 said:
[ QUOTE ]
MizAvalon said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you model_chick! Some texturized hair looks the same as some natural hair. Both texturized and natural hair can be straighten to look as if it is relaxed. That hair type system that Andre made up is crap! That's is based on HIS perspective. Plus, I don't see the relevance in knowing your type anyway. So you really can't judge whether someone has relaxed, texturized, or natural hair. Don't hate...appreciate! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

suncypress

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:I agree with you model_chick! Some texturized hair looks the same as some natural hair. Both texturized and natural hair can be straighten to look as if it is relaxed. That hair type system that Andre made up is crap! That's is based on HIS perspective. Plus, I don't see the relevance in knowing your type anyway. So you really can't judge whether someone has relaxed, texturized, or natural hair. Don't hate...appreciate! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, i didn't get anything in model chick's post that implied Andre's hair typing system is "crap"--though maybe i misread it. personally i think the system can be very accurate, and to me it's useful to know one's type so you have a better idea of what styles, techniques, and products will work best for you. this is especially true if you combine it with Fia's system for measuring hair thickness and density. obviously hair can be manipulated to look like any "type," but the point of the system is what one's natural/unaltered hair texture looks like.

on the other hand, i do think that hair typing can "go wrong" b/c folks don't really know how to determine what their hairtype is. i have seen quite a few folks on this and other boards who call their hair 4a or 4b whose hair clearly seems like 3c (or even 3b!) to me. so i guess it *is* somewhat subjective... dang, poohbear, i think i've talked myself into your point of view. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

model_chick717

[ QUOTE ]
suncypress said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:I agree with you model_chick! Some texturized hair looks the same as some natural hair. Both texturized and natural hair can be straighten to look as if it is relaxed. That hair type system that Andre made up is crap! That's is based on HIS perspective. Plus, I don't see the relevance in knowing your type anyway. So you really can't judge whether someone has relaxed, texturized, or natural hair. Don't hate...appreciate! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, i didn't get anything in model chick's post that implied Andre's hair typing system is "crap"--though maybe i misread it. personally i think the system can be very accurate, and to me it's useful to know one's type so you have a better idea of what styles, techniques, and products will work best for you. this is especially true if you combine it with Fia's system for measuring hair thickness and density. obviously hair can be manipulated to look like any "type," but the point of the system is what one's natural/unaltered hair texture looks like.

on the other hand, i do think that hair typing can "go wrong" b/c folks don't really know how to determine what their hairtype is. i have seen quite a few folks on this and other boards who call their hair 4a or 4b whose hair clearly seems like 3c (or even 3b!) to me. so i guess it *is* somewhat subjective... dang, poohbear, i think i've talked myself into your point of view. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I wasn't critisizing the hair-typing stuff...I must not have been clear. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
suncypress said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you did misread...my post. /images/graemlins/wink.gif I was just putting in MY opinion...that's not what model_chick said.

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif @ your last statement. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
model_chick717 said:
[ QUOTE ]
suncypress said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I wasn't critisizing the hair-typing stuff...I must not have been clear. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The hair-typing thing was MY idea...I wasn't saying you were saying that modelchick! /images/graemlins/wink.gif I should have been more clear...maybe separate that into two separate paragraphs or something. /images/graemlins/weird.gif

AudraChanell

Now I have no idea if the woman (or any woman for that matter) was/is lying or not. I have never given this any thought? However, I am absolutely sure there are folks who lie about being relaxed just like anything else. *lol* Of course there are ... of all the folks on the friggin planet?! I have been asked (as I am sure most of you have) if I have a relaxer for one reason or another and I always reply, yes because it really isn’t that big of a deal to me. I guess the point I'm making is yes some folks lie about having relaxers because it matters to them. I don’t think the shame lies in using a chemical (though it may in certain instances), but rather it makes them feel better if others believe it is their hair texture. I equate it to those who claim their knockoff bag is authentic. Some just find the question intrusive. In some form or fashion I believe those who choose to lie about it feel either one it is impressive, or two they are ashamed of what it really is. This is JMHO.