Doobies Are Not Hair Do's!-Rant

Princess4real

NewYorkgyrl said:
I have never been the type to care what other people think. If I have ish to do I should not have to feel like I have to comb my hair down just to go outside and get what I have to do done. That is the same thing to me as women who refuse to be seen in public with sweats on or women who just can't be outside without make-up. Please....it is just the corner store, laundry mat, etc.....

And I will def not unwrap my hair if it raining if I am going from the car to the destination and back to the car and risk my hair getting messed up.

Maybe like other women said I do see many women do this in NY. I also see women with head scarfs and head wraps. And I don't think any of those women really care what anyone thinks.

Now that I am transitioning I do not wrap my hair, I pin curl it.....and YES I will go outside with my hair like that if I am running some errands or just going to the brooklyn, harlem...wherever and I know darn well I am not going to leave my families house.

And in the summer time I will sit on the veranda with rollers in my hair. I hate the dryer in the summer so air drying is best. I don't care what cars roll by. LOL

I guess what some think is unacceptable others could care less. One thing I would not do is go to a special even with it. I would most likely have a hairstyle anyway.LOL

:wave: I agreed with everything you said!

I too have an "I don't give a rats *** what other people think attitude" too! It's normal to see females in Bed-Stuy wearing their hair like that. We know it's not a hairstyle, but that's how we want to wear our hair at moment. We may have plans to go out later that evening or we just don't feel like walking around with a scarf on our head. It takes alot of self-esteem to go outside and not care how you look to anyone while you are running your errands and minding your own business.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Why does something have to wear a scarf on their head because someone doeesn't like the way someone else chooses to wear their hair:confused:
IT'S THEIRS!!!

Last edited:

zora

Agreed. A'int no biggie. Maybe 10 years ago, it would've bothered me, but now I'm so used to it. I don't think the men care either.

Britt

zora said:
Agreed. A'int no biggie. Maybe 10 years ago, it would've bothered me, but now I'm so used to it. I don't think the men care either.

Agreeed... I don't know of any guys that seem to mind a doobie wrap. Wash and sets are so common, I just don't see the big deal of wearing a doobie after you leave the salon or going to run errands or anything. For me, when I get a wash and set, a doobie is a way of keeping my hair tamed and neat until I am ready to comb it out, which is usually if I am going somewhere that night or the next day. I think doobie's are very practical. After you get a wash and set, if you don't blow out your hair, how else are you suppose to style it with all the curls :confused: . I think it would actually look even more ridiculous to wear a scarf around.. :perplexed

JMO ...

~Nigeria~

NewYorkgyrl said:
I have never been the type to care what other people think. If I have ish to do I should not have to feel like I have to comb my hair down just to go outside and get what I have to do done. That is the same thing to me as women who refuse to be seen in public with sweats on or women who just can't be outside without make-up. Please....it is just the corner store, laundry mat, etc.....

And I will def not unwrap my hair if it raining if I am going from the car to the destination and back to the car and risk my hair getting messed up.

Maybe like other women said I do see many women do this in NY. I also see women with head scarfs and head wraps. And I don't think any of those women really care what anyone thinks.

Now that I am transitioning I do not wrap my hair, I pin curl it.....and YES I will go outside with my hair like that if I am running some errands or just going to the brooklyn, harlem...wherever and I know darn well I am not going to leave my families house.

And in the summer time I will sit on the veranda with rollers in my hair. I hate the dryer in the summer so air drying is best. I don't care what cars roll by. LOL

I guess what some think is unacceptable others could care less. One thing I would not do is go to a special even with it. I would most likely have a hairstyle anyway.LOL

ITA 100%. I'm from NY also and I've seen that all day, everyday. I wouldn't think twice about "being seen" in a doobie wrap. It's not that big of a deal to me.

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
ITA. The Dominican salon is only 2-3 blocks from home, so if I forget my scarf, it's no biggie....

Starian said:
I've done this before, but only if I was going to the corner store or something. I didn't bother with a scarf. Walgreens was right down the street, I ain't unwrapping my hair for that. :lol:

New Orleans is very humid, so when I was in school I used to try and wrap my hair and leave it like that all day because at the first sign of humidity, my head would go 'poof'. My Mom called me trifling and told me to take that wrap out. The only time I got away with it was for senior picture day.

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
See now, THAT'S going too far! 2-3 blocks from the salon--no problem. Going to work with a doobie? Tacky....

Nita81 said:
This chick I used to work with came to work with a doobie set. We worked in a restaurant btw :look: I was like take the dayum pins out!!!!:poke:

InJesusName

It's funny you guys posted this. I had a similar incident last week when I got my hair done. Like many others on the board, I wear my hair like I want and could care less what others think since I PAID FOR IT! I would not wear my hair wrapped to work, but if I am trying to maintain my style and have no one to impress, I will sport it with no problem.

Oh yeah, my incident:D . I got a doobie and needed change so I walked to the store next to the salon to get some. I told the clerk I needed the change so I could pay for getting my hair done (I had the stylist to leave it wrapped since I was going home afterwards), he had the nerve to say "You paid to get your hair done like that?" Sorry, ya'll I was PMS-ing that day so I replied "Do you look like that everyday or did you make a mistake this morning?":lol:

So ignorant. Just to prove my point, I went in there the next day to show him what it looked like combed out. Then he tried to ask for my number...go figure!!

To sum it up...I don't care how other people wear their hair nor do I care what they think about how I wear mine. My goal is healthy hair even if that means wearing a "less than flattering" hairstyle for a while.

NewYorkgyrl

And you know what ladies...i am sure we still get mad atttention from guys WITH the doobie LOL...so if ladies or worrried about what a guy thinks trust me he doesn't care. If you are pretty, you are pretty regardless of what hair-do you have or if you have on a scarf... and they will holla (believes that!)

Starian

RelaxerRehab said:
Anybody got a photo of a doobie?

Pretend like the roller isn't there and that that part is wrapped with the rest of the hair.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Starian said:

Pretend like the roller isn't there and that that part is wrapped with the rest of the hair.

Now this is something I don't understand, maybe because I never got them put in, but what is the roller for? My stylist used to always just wrap all my hair around, no rollers.

so1913

B_Phlyy said:
Now this is something I don't understand, maybe because I never got them put in, but what is the roller for? My stylist used to always just wrap all my hair around, no rollers.

The roller keeps the "lift" and volume at the crown of the head for the style I think.

Starian

so1913 said:
The roller keeps the "lift" and volume at the crown of the head for the style I think.

Exactly. I used to think everyone used the rollers, until someone showed me a different way of wrapping without them. My hair is flatter without the roller, though.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Starian said:
Exactly. I used to think everyone used the rollers, until someone showed me a different way of wrapping without them. My hair is flatter without the roller, though.

Oh, okay, that makes sense. My hair always was super straight after a wrap.

alonshaw

NewYorkgyrl said:

I do this all the time especially when the weather is acting funny. You guys are making it seem as though it is such a disgraceful and tacky thing, when in fact i get compliments on it. Since i go to a predominatly white university, they think that everything is cool, and they make me do it in their hair. But i agress it is mainly a New York thing, maybe because this is something that Dominicans specilize in.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
alonshaw said:
I do this all the time especially when the weather is acting funny. You guys are making it seem as though it is such a disgraceful and tacky thing, when in fact i get compliments on it. Since i go to a predominatly white university, they think that everything is cool, and they make me do it in their hair. But i agress it is mainly a New York thing, maybe because this is something that Dominicans specilize in.

It's not a big deal considering all that is right/wrong with the world. It's not disgraceful and if it's what anybody wants to do; that's cool... but it's still TACKY! That's right I said it! :lol: Especially the one's I've seen... YUK!

Call me old school, but I was taught that you do your very best to look your best whenever in the public eye.

Princess4real

january noir said:
It's not a big deal considering all that is right/wrong with the world. It's not disgraceful and if it's what anybody wants to do; that's cool... but it's still TACKY! That's right I said it! :lol: Especially the one's I've seen... YUK!

Call me old school, but I was taught that you do your very best to look your best whenever in the public eye.

Since it's so tacky, you need to stay over there on your side of the town and us New Yorkers will stay on our side. :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: The next time I go Great Adventure I will make sure I wear my doobie so I can annoy the people in New Jersey.:)

MonaLisa

Okay, I just have to ask this after scanning the retorts back and forth regarding the OP's post...

Are we talking about...just running from the beauty salon to home, quick errand in the neighborhood, etc., then take it down later for styling, going out, etc. or..... (which I personally don't have an issue with)

are we talking about wearing the pins all day uncovered -24 hrs, the next day-48 hrs, a few days - 72 hrs plus, the whole week - hence, making it seemingly a "hair do" (and you can visably tell, the doobie has been pinned up for a minute) [these are the scenarios that I've taken notice of in the past, that I've seen]?

:confused:

Aveena

MonaLisa said:
Okay, I just have to ask this after scanning the retorts back and forth regarding the OP's post...

Are we talking about...just running from the beauty salon to home, quick errand in the neighborhood, etc., then take it down later for styling, going out, etc. or..... (which I personally don't have an issue with)

are we talking about wearing the pins all day uncovered -24 hrs, the next day-48 hrs, a few days - 72 hrs plus, the whole week - hence, making it seemingly a "hair do" (and you can visably tell, the doobie has been pinned up for a minute) [these are the scenarios that I've taken notice of in the past, that I've seen]?

:confused:

The ones I've seen looked like they'd been pinned up for days... those are the ones I'm talking about. I (to be honest) can see my self running to the store or what have you but not wearin as a style.

KhandiB

When I used to go to the Stylist and ask for a doobie..

it was just a rollerset... :lol:

Jay z had a song about a cutie with a doobie :lol:

I still call rollersets doobies, thats why i had to come in here :lol: .. to me that pic that was posted is just wrapped..

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
The doobies I've seen "UP" look like picket fences wrapped around the head... There are a handful of large bobby pins that hold it in place.

asubeauty

I will wear a doobie if I'm just running to the store or to the cafeteria for breakfast at 7 in the morning (hardly anyone is there anyway...), but not all day. I see girls doing this all the time... going around all day in sweats and a wrap.

If the weather is bad, I'll wear my doobie until I get where I'm going, comb it out in the car, and RUN to the door of the building with a hood on or something. I don't think anything of it because my car windows are tinted so dark that if some one could see me well enough to know that I was combing out my doobie, they deserved to see it, dang...

I do think that it's tacky to walk around all day like that, but if I'm just going to the store or running an errand, I'm not combing my hair out.

Mahalialee4

Actually, I don't see any difference in that an the beehives ladies used to wear or a wrapped ponytail or those flipped up ponytails .The white ladies is going "bedhead" and it's no trip. Maybe "Hide the Pins" and slap on a few cutie patootie barrettes and you are good to go. If someone went and paid good money to get their hair done and then had a "doobie to go", I personally do not have a problem with it, as long as it is not falling out and loose and crazy all over the place with the pins 'hangin'. What is the alternative? Take down the doobie and go home and redo what you already paid for? Wearing it to work....well...disguise it as some kind of hairdo. Maybe with a brastrap headband or a few combs or something. bonjour

Babygurl

IS is really THAT serious...:perplexed a lot of people are annoyed by my bun, but oh well...life goes on I suppose.

Siren

I don't mind seeing people wearing it but I think its very unprofessional to wear it in a place of business while you're working. A few months ago I went to go eat at a restaurant and one of the waitresses was wearing a doobie wrap. One day I was in Target and one of the workers was wearing a wrap.

sexyaqr

It is a great protective style. I am a nurse and would not go to work like that but to each its own. No one says anything if you put your hair in a bun all the time

dynamic1

january noir said:

Everyone has their opinion on what looks best! Maybe the "your hair has to be done" mentality is why so many black women have damaged hair.

People think my hair is not "done" in a bun either. But I laugh and tell them when I finished pulling it back and pinning it up, I was "done". :lol:

Amarech

OMG That's unprofessional. I'd be like, "wait... go get me another nurse."

Me too. I can't stand to see doobies. I have to hold my self back from grabbing my comb, doing a quick comb down and running for my life!

lonei

RelaxerRehab said:
Anybody got a photo of a doobie?

I do, but I dont use pins, its in my April-June 2004 album, pic 5. Its just a wrap after a rollerset...

I am guilty, I go out with pin curls and a doobie (no pins). I am a non-conformist type of individual and am not too bothered about what others think. Especially when I feel thats its for the greater good (protecting my hair), or Im going out later. Ultimately I know what Im sitting on ;) and it will look fly when I take it down! Its funny, those are the styles I get the most compliments on!

live2bgr8

Lovelylocs said:
No, I don't put a scarf on. I just go straight home. I think it's tacky to wear a doobie in public unless you are on your way home from the shop and even then u should not want to run into someone. :lol: I think the scarves look equally as ghetto as a plain old doobie. :ohwell:

This whole thread has given me a good laugh! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lol: :lol: THANKS!

Anyway, I have to agree with Lovelylocs. To me doobies and scarves are about the same. (scarf is slightly better, though) and you sure don't want to run into anyone you know!

That's why there are times when I get it wrapped that I slap a fall or a wig on it. :eek:

Last edited: