Doobies w/ pins vs. a Wrap & Silk Scarf

Okay people.....

Where I am from for the most part you either get a wet wrap and maintain it by wrapping your hair every night or you get a blowdry/bump(flat iron) and then maintain the same way, using a satin or silk scarf... (or they now have these mesh wrap things, that only wrap the edges, not the top)

Anyway,

I was introduced to this whole "doobie" thing a couple of years ago. Basically, you wrap your hair but instead of using a scarf you use hair pins. Most of you will know what I am talking about because you are on you "hair journey" too.

My question is: Aside from the scarf not being as warm (think of wearing a hat to bed), are there any ACTUAL STYLE BENEFITS to a doobie with pins vs. just wrapping your hair and wearing a scarf?

I have tried both and I can't say that I noticed one maintaining my style any longer. I avoid the Aunt Jemima look but the pins don't seem to inherently keep the style better.

Those of you who use pins, are you doing this to avoid any thing you noticed with non-pin wrapping (flyaways, etc).

One thing I did notice was that after a Domincan blowout my hair was sooooo straight at the root that it was difficult to wrap it, as in, I had to catch it before it fell to get the scarf on.

THOUGHTS????

LushLox

I'll be interested to know too as I can't wrap hair even if I was paid too. I know if I tried the doobie I'd end up looking like a HAM. Do the pins not make an indent in the hair too?

Regarding pin marks: No more than that weird line you get sometimes from the scarf/your hair sliding while you sleep.

If you're neat about it, people seem to be fine. Though I was asked once: "do you get pin marks" like, some people have hair that may be particularly susceptible,

danysedai

I guess I'm backwards then because right now I have my hair in a wrap with pins and a piece of hose that holds everything in tight. I'm going on a bike ride around the neighbourhood and I put a Buff headband (google those,they are excellent for outdoor activities) over that.

No, I don't get pinmarks.

Same thing to go to work,a wrap under the hose thing,a cute hat, I get in my cubicle and take my wrap down :)

SelfStyled

I used to wrap my hair, put the bobby pins in- tie it up with a scarf and then slide the pins out so they left no mark.

imaccami

Do the bobby pins cause breakage? I've never mastered the wrap, so I might give bobby pins a try...but my only concern would be the pins coming partially out in my sleep, tangling up in my hair, and causing breakage.

ceebee3

I've never slept in the pins or kept them in. I always thought they just kept it in pins so your hair wouldn't fall before you got home. Never left them in long enought to get any indentations.

amber815

I have seen some long curved bobby pins meant for the doobie. I believe I seen them at the BSS or online.

Nope, they don't cause breakage (provided they are in decent condition). You just slide them off in the morning and when you're putting them in you open them with your nail or mouth.

naturalmanenyc

I wrap with no pins & a silk scarf.

DH thought that the doobie with pins was a hairstyle since so many women in NYC walk around with the wrap & pins. lol lol He said "Why do women keep wearing that ugly hair style, please don't wear your hair like that." lol

yamilee21

It never occurred to me that you could wrap without hairpins; everyone I know uses them. What keeps the hair in place without pins?

hypek

It never occurred to me that you could wrap without hairpins; everyone I know uses them. What keeps the hair in place without pins?

magic :grin:

but really, i wrap my hair without pins and use a satin scarf. I dont like the way the pins feel and since Ive wrapped my hair so many times, I guess its trained to obey me and stay up, no matter which direction I wrap it.

naturalmanenyc

I am not sure, but I did use pins and they left dents so I stopped using pins. I now wrap with a denman brush and use a boar bristle brush to smooth my hair down. I then put on my scarf.

vkb247

I think that the issue with wrapping is the directions that you wrap in, even before I found LHCF - back when I still wore my hair straight, my stylist told me that regular wrapping is the reason that my hair was growing faster on one side than the other. I think that when you wrap it is really important to switch directions every once in awhile or do what ladies here call cross wrapping (I think)

I wrapped for years with pins and no indents or breakage.

yamilee21

As in Blue Magic? ;) No, but seriously, I can sort of see shorter lengths maybe staying in place without pins, but APL+ and/or thick hair? I'm really curious about it. Is there a pin-less wrapping tutorial for longer hair somewhere?

hypek

As in Blue Magic? ;)

LOL

yeah, between SL and APL and i could see how it could be hair for someone with long hair to wrap without pins.

also... why does wrapping cause one side to grow slower or be weakened? i used to wrap my hair to the right and my left side is shorter. the left has always been shorter, but maybe the wrapping made it worse?

Solitude

As in Blue Magic? ;) No, but seriously, I can sort of see shorter lengths maybe staying in place without pins, but APL+ and/or thick hair? I'm really curious about it. Is there a pin-less wrapping tutorial for longer hair somewhere?

It's a learned skill. I have a friend with MBL-length hair and one with WL hair who can both wrap w/o pins.

I wrap w/ the mesh wrap that was mentioned in the first post & then I put on a satin female doo-rag (no tail). I use the mesh wrap because my ends look smoother with it, but I don't really need it. (I've been wrapping my hair for 10 years & have done it different ways. It's "trained") I have friends who use the mesh wrap b/c they like to put rollers at the top at night.

The only time I usually need pins is from a fresh relaxer when my hair is super-straight - no dents.

I tried to start alternating my wrap once I found LHCF, but I usually forget or just don't feel like it. I haven't had any adverse issues with wrapping one way. I don't cross-wrap at all.

TaurusAngel

I never use pins. What i do is apply a bit of moisturizer before i wrap and that usually holds mine in place. The trick is using a small toothed comb, or a brush. I use a small baby brush because it has soft bristles. Another method is placing pins, wrapping, then removing them afterwards.

kandegirl

I need to find one of those female doo-rags w/o the tail b/c I use the men's do rag. It's the only thing that'll stay in place. And I've always wrapped w/o pins. And since I'm from the south (humdity) we wet wrapped and my hair was trained to wrap w/o any help (at least to the right that is).

It's a learned skill. I have a friend with MBL-length hair and one with WL hair who can both wrap w/o pins.

I wrap w/ the mesh wrap that was mentioned in the first post & then I put on a satin female doo-rag (no tail). I use the mesh wrap because my ends look smoother with it, but I don't really need it. (I've been wrapping my hair for 10 years & have done it different ways. It's "trained") I have friends who use the mesh wrap b/c they like to put rollers at the top at night.

The only time I usually need pins is from a fresh relaxer when my hair is super-straight - no dents.

I tried to start alternating my wrap once I found LHCF, but I usually forget or just don't feel like it. I haven't had any adverse issues with wrapping one way. I don't cross-wrap at all.

Esq.2B

People don't wear the bobby pins to bed each night. Generally, they wrap it/pin-curl it or etc and wear scarves/bonnets/doo-rags, etc). A person who wears pins at night, I believe would be a rare exception. The pins are just inserted by the beautician, I believe to hold the hair down tightly, to keep it smooth, and to get the client from point A (the beauty parlor) to point B while keeping the hair in place (in the wrap style).

MsQ

I get a doobie whenever I got to the Dominican Salon. I use pins for the first couple of days then I usually don't need them again until my next salon visit. I haven't had any adverse effects from pins or wrapping.

Oh, I also re-wrap my hair after leaving the salon so that I use less pins, they use waaaaay too many IMO!

Thanks for all the responses!

Seems to be personal experience and not so much an actual "value add" to doing one way over the other.

In terms of sleeping in pins, I know a couple of people who do sleep in them, one of whom has NEVER owned a silk/satin scarf (she also is not relaxed, just blows straight).

xcuzememiss

After a fresh perm or if they blow out the entire length of the hair, i'll use pins. Only because the hair is to "fresh" it doesnt have any weight to it to hold it down. Weight meaning any product. but ill usually take all the pins out except for one in the back and one in the front. it keeps it from flying away. After the first day I can do a wrap w/no pins. But I always bend my pins so it has a slight curve so it doesn't leave the marks