Doobies Are Not Hair Do's!-Rant

Ariana4000

I remember back in the day that was a style out here in DC. You got your hair wrapped. The hairdresser would give you a nice bang or whatever. You wore your hair like that for a week. Yes. Then the next wee you unwrapped your bob. So it was like two styles in one. Yes I was a cone head then.:lachen:

TowsonGirl

OMG, I totally agree with you that this is not a style at all. I cant stand to see ppl go places with their hair wrapped, and I agree with the person who said earlier that the scarves look just as ghetto. But even worse, is when I see people at the mall with rollers in their hair like its nothing. Now THAT sets me off. :mad:

But, I do have exceptions, like if someone is running a quick errand or something, or is en-route to somewhere, then I give them a pass, cuz who wants to comb their hair out just to go to the corner store? I know I dont. But when I go out with my hair wrapped, I ALWAYS put on a cap or hat of some kind

NewYorkgyrl

TowsonGirl said:
and I agree with the person who said earlier that the scarves look just as ghetto.

To the ladies who feel that the scarfs are sooo ghetto....how do you feel about the dreds and naturals who wear the headwraps. Is that ghetto too? And if not what makes it different to you???

TowsonGirl

NewYorkgyrl said:
To the ladies who feel that the scarfs are sooo ghetto....how do you feel about the dreds and naturals who wear the headwraps. Is that ghetto too? And if not what makes it different to you???

NewYorkgyrl, I personally was referring to when people are out at places like restaurants, functions, PTA meetings, whatever... and have on their head scarves tied at the front like they just rolled outta bed (and I know you've seen em) now I do think thats not a good look at all.

As far as the dreaded people and naturals, I'm not sure what kind of headwraps you are referring to (are they like the ones Erykah Badu used to wear, with her dreads all tied up?). Well, if so, I think thats different because you are not goin out in something you would wear to get ready for bed.

But I guess it just depends on how u were brought up. I know here at college, kids come to class in their PJ's and slippers all the time like its nothing. If I ever did that or wore some house shoes out in public, my mom would be like :eek:

NewYorkgyrl

TowsonGirl said:
NewYorkgyrl, I personally was referring to when people are out at places like restaurants, functions, PTA meetings, whatever... and have on their head scarves tied at the front like they just rolled outta bed (and I know you've seen em) now I do think thats not a good look at all.

As far as the dreaded people and naturals, I'm not sure what kind of headwraps you are referring to (are they like the ones Erykah Badu used to wear, with her dreads all tied up?). Well, if so, I think thats different because you are not goin out in something you would wear to get ready for bed.

But I guess it just depends on how u were brought up. I know here at college, kids come to class in their PJ's and slippers all the time like its nothing. If I ever did that or wore some house shoes out in public, my mom would be like :eek:

I was just asking a question to see if the ladies (Not just yourself) felt the same way about headwraps.
And I don't think how one was brought up has anything to do with it...kids in college get lazy that does not necessarily mean their parents have taught them that LOL LOL

I was just asking a simple question...but thanks for answering

How do the other ladies feel? (honestly)

Ms Red

From the salon to my car? Yes. In the house all day? Yes. Running a quick errand or in the rain? Yes. But going out for an extended period of time just to rock it? Nah. It's not that serious though!!! :p

jtsupanova

MonaLisa said:
:lol: :lol: I feel you're rant.....I've lived in NYC all my life...I NEVER got that whole walking around with the pins things...

I've known of some...who would get the doobie done....and keep the pins in for the whole week until the next wash and set....:confused:

Again....I NEVER got that....

WHAT? NO!
thats funny lol..but I live in NY too and I see it all the time its so annoying

Qt girl

this so funny to me because my roomate freshman year saw me wrap my air at night and she was so amazed that she suggested that I wear my hair out in the wrap.:lol: I NEVER thought of actually doing it though.

Princess4real

NewYorkgyrl said:
I was just asking a question to see if the ladies (Not just yourself) felt the same way about headwraps.
And I don't think how one was brought up has anything to do with it...kids in college get lazy that does not necessarily mean their parents have taught them that LOL LOL

I was just asking a simple question...but thanks for answering

How do the other ladies feel? (honestly)

I agree with the bolded part.;)

nomoweavesfome

hold up. I'm a new yorker and I am really used to this way of life as well. I did wear the "doobie set" as a style back in the day. But I think this is twisted. I though the "doobie" was the style? The doobie set is when you wrap the hair with the pins. The actual doobie is the roller set thatis wrapped and then combed down ready to wear and swing in the street. no?

Personally I will not wear a doobie wrap or set in the street. But at the same time that is much more acceptable to me than a scarf. At least if it's neat after your salon visit, I know that at least you got your hair done.

With a scarf , there is no telling what's under there.

and I will wear a doobie style any day of the week swingin and flowin.

sprungonhairboards

:.Krys.: said:
Do they do doobies in southern california??? :confused: It seems waaay better than pressing and flat ironing all the time. It seems like thats all shops do out here. I never hear about doobies or rollersets or anything like that. Only on this board. It would be so much better for my hair. Hmm.... Anyone know of somewhere in southern cali where they do this?

They all do it but you have to ask for a wrap. Wraps aren't that popular out here anymore. Unless you have a fresh relaxer they'll still flatiron it and curl it first THEN wrap it and stick you under the dryer. If your relaxer is fresh they'll wrap it wet and put you under the dryer. I'm sure you could ask for a rollerset but I havent had one in a salon since I was little. Those are pretty obsolete here.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
rdm said:
When I left the shop last night, I realized I had left my scarf at home. I called my sister and had her bring me a scarf. There is no way that I would walk around looking like a cone head. But again, to each their own. If someone wants to rock that style, more power to them!!!!

It must be a NYC thing, 'cause in Long Island, they walk around with rollersets and pajamas!:lachen: ;)

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I can remember when I was in high school the wrap was actually a style that a lot of girls wore. Theirs was bad though, it was gelled down and hard like if you tapped it, it would make a noise. I never did get that style.

Qetesh

I see a lot of women here who go around with the white paper stuff on their heads after a wrap, is this what you are referring to, because I think that is straight trifling don’t go to the mall with that white paper all on your head its not cute IMO. Now if they took the paper off and jus sported the wrap it wouldn’t be bad.

bgsix

I just saw this the other day at McDonalds. The cashier at the drive-thru window had her hair like this with the pins and everything. My mouth dropped and all I was thinking was WTF?

It is not cute yall.

InNeedofHairapy

My stylists...as bad as they have been at giving relaxers..have never let me leave the salon w/ a doobie in. They always take it down so I can see the magic before I leave.

I would NOT wear a doobie out in public with or without pins or scarves

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
Puleeze. When I go home, I get my hair done @ Josefina's, get my hair wrapped with my gold bobby pins and walk outta that salon to handle the rest of my business. So what.

diamoness

Yeah...i dont see what the big deal is either. Let em walk around with their doobies.....it aint hurtin nobody.

Tene

I agree I think it's ugly and have never understood anyone going around looking like that.

mango387

NewYorkgyrl said:
The house shoe thing is crazy!!!

Have you ever had a 8:00 am class in college that wasn't a lab and wasn't followed by another class for at least three-four hours? :D For a lot of people, including me, living on campus, we could just get up, go to class, come back to the dorm, and get ready for the day at a later hour.
Now, I have never worn house shoes, BUT I have worn all types of pajama sets to class. I did have a little pride;) , so I did throw on some jeans over the pj bottoms (winter) or just wear the jeans alone (warmer months). At the top, I put on a jacket. No one knew unless I tell them.:cool: I've seen some incredibly successful, stylish people come to class with Sponge Bob Square Pants pajamas w/o trying to hide anything. College students, please enjoy those days.

Anyway, the Doobie wrap used to be featured in SBH. People would wrap the hair and then take a little of the front down. They front would be styled into little spikes. My older sister also used to wear that hair style when her hair was shorter. Of

taraglam2

When I go to Manuella's Dominican Salon in Baltimore I get my hair in the wrapp with the bobby pins and go to my car and drive home. Once I get home I put on one of my best silk scarves and my wrapp does not come down till the next day--if I am going some place worth it--to the grocery store, CVS or the terrible Super Wal-Mart down the street--Heck no---my doobie/wrapp/bobby pins are not coming down for that ! I worked for Petite Sophisticate and a Diamond Casual Corner Store for years---got tons of scarves and know how to tie them soooo many ways, we had scarf classes and accessories classes so when I am sporting my scarf on top of my wrapp--I am truly sporting it !

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
taraglam2 said:
When I go to Manuella's Dominican Salon in Baltimore I get my hair in the wrapp with the bobby pins and go to my car and drive home. Once I get home I put on one of my best silk scarves and my wrapp does not come down till the next day--if I am going some place worth it-- to the grocery store, CVS or the terrible Super Wal-Mart down the street--Heck no---my doobie/wrapp/bobby pins are not coming down for that ! I worked for Petite Sophisticate and a Diamond Casual Corner Store for years---got tons of scarves and know how to tie them soooo many ways, we had scarf classes and accessories classes so when I am sporting my scarf on top of my wrapp--I am truly sporting it !

That's what I'm saying! Yall need 2 get over it.

NewYorkgyrl

mango387 said:
Have you ever had a 8:00 am class in college that wasn't a lab and wasn't followed by another class for at least three-four hours? :D For a lot of people, including me, living on campus, we could just get up, go to class, come back to the dorm, and get ready for the day at a later hour.
Now, I have never worn house shoes, BUT I have worn all types of pajama sets to class. I did have a little pride;) , so I did throw on some jeans over the pj bottoms (winter) or just wear the jeans alone (warmer months). At the top, I put on a jacket. No one knew unless I tell them.:cool: I've seen some incredibly successful, stylish people come to class with Sponge Bob Square Pants pajamas w/o trying to hide anything. College students, please enjoy those days.

Anyway, the Doobie wrap used to be featured in SBH. People would wrap the hair and then take a little of the front down. They front would be styled into little spikes. My older sister also used to wear that hair style when her hair was shorter. Of

Honey I went away to college too and I was a bio major so trust me I know about those 8am classes. And I still would not go outside with pajamas or house slippers. You MIGHT catch me with flip flops if it is extremly warm outside. But House slippers the grandma looking ones.........nah I didn't do that iin all of my four years being away. That's crazy!
And now that I am in medical school you still wouldn't catch me like that even though I will be spending 18 hours in the library...no house slippers. Those collge students need to put on the flip flops and if it is could put on some socks with it. To me that is so much more presentable.

lyndiii

What's the big deal? If you're leaving the salon with pins or a scarf, it's all the same. Who cares! There's no difference between a scarf and pins, it's all undone.

live2bgr8

NewYorkgyrl said:

I don't really use "ghetto" to describe people. To me it's where someone lives, or where they're from. Not how they act, dress, speak, etc...

That said, I'll throw my 2 cents in:

It's different because there is thought and style that goes into the head wrap natural. The head wrap natural look says "I care about myself now" :) "I'm culturally conscious" :) And often looks VERY attractive.

Whereas the go to work :eek: with a doobie with a "I-don't-care-how-I-look" look says "I'll care about myself later" :look: (even if they are sporting neon pins)

either way it's not that serious... it may be humorous to some, but the world will keep spinning and we all still have bills to pay.

PhonyBaloney500

I'm a New Yorker and I see it a lot too. LOL. I usually assume they're no their way home or something... I hope...:look: In high school though some girls just wore their hair like that sometimes.

I stupidly wore one home from the salon once without a scarf (did I not have one? Hmm?) on a hot humid day and it was a WRAP! Get it! Ha! Yeah it was all poofed out when I took it down!