Doobies Are Not Hair Do's!-Rant

fletgee

When you leave the salon with a doobie do you cover your hair with a scarf to go home? Or do you just walk out it public looking like a cone head?

I was in the bss yesterday when this woman came in with 2 young girls. Yah, the doobie family walked pass me. And I wanted to grab each one and slap a scarf on their head.

To me, a doobie is not a hair do. It's the same thing as walking down the street with you hair set in rollers. Put a dang scarf over it!

I am tired of seeing cone heads in supermarkets, parking lots, walking down Main Street, and as a nurse working in the hospital. The nurse had neon colored hair pins in her hair when she came in to give me my medication.

To me a doobie says--"I am gonna look good later. Check me out then." Yah, all well and good, but the world sees you now. And ya look like Dillie Dimwitt.

I'm ranting......yah... I am....

shunta

fletgee said:
When you leave the salon with a doobie do you cover your hair with a scarf to go home? Or do you just walk out it public looking like a cone head?

I was in the bss yesterday when this woman came in with 2 young girls. Yah, the doobie family walked pass me. And I wanted to grab each one and slap a scarf on their head.

To me, a doobie is not a hair do. It's the same thing as walking down the street with you hair set in rollers. Put a dang scarf over it!

I am tired of seeing cone heads in supermarkets, parking lots, walking down Main Street, and as a nurse working in the hospital. The nurse had neon colored hair pins in her hair when she came in to give me my medication.

To me a doobie says--"I am gonna look good later. Check me out then." Yah, all well and good, but the world sees you now. And ya look like Dillie Dimwitt.

lol!!:lol: :lol: Im sorry but that was so funny to me:lol:

Princess Pie

fletgee said:
OMG :eek: That's unprofessional. I'd be like, "wait... go get me another nurse."

And you're right, I don't think people should be walking around wearing doobies (especially with funky colored pins). :lol:

ShaniKeys

When I was in NY, I saw a lot of women walking around with doobies and rollersets, I kinda thought it was cool, but indeed it's not a Hair Do. If you're just going around the corner ok, but not hittin' town with it. But in Angola (=my birthplace) it's also quite common, black women just love taking care of their hair and lettin' other ppl know:D

Namilani

Okay, so maybe a doobie is not what I thought :confused:! I thought it was a style with your hair down and some spiral curls? Ya'll help a sister out!

MonaLisa

fletgee said:

:lol: :lol: I feel you're rant.....I've lived in NYC all my life...I NEVER got that whole walking around with the pins things...

I've known of some...who would get the doobie done....and keep the pins in for the whole week until the next wash and set....:confused:

Again....I NEVER got that....

rdm

When I left the shop last night, I realized I had left my scarf at home. I called my sister and had her bring me a scarf. There is no way that I would walk around looking like a cone head. But again, to each their own. If someone wants to rock that style, more power to them!!!!

mango387

:sekret:When I was young and saw the "fly" girls wearing doobies, I wanted to wear one, a doobie, as a style. Fortunately, my mom would not let me do it.:sekret: Mango387 is exiting the thread.

Starian

Talipoohz_Momma said:
Okay, so maybe a doobie is not what I thought :confused:! I thought it was a style with your hair down and some spiral curls? Ya'll help a sister out!

A doobie basically means a wrap. So they're walking around with their hair wrapped after being rollerset, like it's a real hairstyle.

Starian

I've done this before, but only if I was going to the corner store or something. I didn't bother with a scarf. Walgreens was right down the street, I ain't unwrapping my hair for that. :lol:

New Orleans is very humid, so when I was in school I used to try and wrap my hair and leave it like that all day because at the first sign of humidity, my head would go 'poof'. My Mom called me trifling and told me to take that wrap out. The only time I got away with it was for senior picture day.

EbonyF

Only time I know it can be worn as a hairstyle is if you have a doobie with the pins set around it.

But that's just me.... actually even without pins it's really not THAT serious to me :ohwell:

Iluvsmuhgrass

With me stretching relaxers and my edges looking like Don King's illegit youngun, I ain't got no bidnezz pointing fingers at other folks. :lol:

Anyways it ain't that serious to me. :look:

dynamic1

Okay. Never worn a doobie, but what is the difference between a bun and a doobie besides the cone head? :lol:

Seems like a great protective style.:lachen:

Tayw29

I must admit i am one who leaves my pins in after i leave the salon going home :D . I would much rather wear the pins than a head scarf thats just me. The only time i will wear a scarf on my freshly done hair is if its raining. Now to go a long distance or to hang and attend work NEVER. I leave them in to run errands or whatever becuz i live a little distance from the salon i choose to go to, but once i get home i then put my scarf on remove the pins becuz they leave dents in my do and thats just to take that extra poof that freshly rolled and blow bryed hair has. What i hate worse than seeing the pins in someones hair is a raggedy lookin doobie:lol:
I cant understand the point of having the pins in and the wrap itself is a homemade hot lopsided mess now that drives me crazy.

PinkPebbles

fletgee said:
The nurse had neon colored hair pins in her hair when she came in to give me my medication.

:lachen:....:lachen:...:lachen: I'm trying to stop laughing but the nurse with the colored hair pins was just too much for me...my,my,my...:lachen: She was wrong for that one!:yep:

Lovelylocs

No, I don't put a scarf on. I just go straight home. I think it's tacky to wear a doobie in public unless you are on your way home from the shop and even then u should not want to run into someone. :lol: I think the scarves look equally as ghetto as a plain old doobie. :ohwell:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
dynamic1 said:
Okay. Never worn a doobie, but what is the difference between a bun and a doobie besides the cone head? :lol:

Seems like a great protective style.:lachen:

It actually is. :sekret: I once wore a doobie for a week straight before I took it down. No breakage or dry hair at all.

Aveena

I saw a lot of women in NYC with it. I don't see it in my area. I don't think it would do much for me as a style. It does look similar to walking out with rollersets or something

Namilani

Starian said:
A doobie basically means a wrap. So they're walking around with their hair wrapped after being rollerset, like it's a real hairstyle.

Gotcha ;)! Thanks! Well, I'm not guilty!!

Nita81

This chick I used to work with came to work with a doobie set. We worked in a restaurant btw :look: I was like take the dayum pins out!!!!:poke:

xDestinedx

When I had really short hair after growing out a cut...I use to wear my hair in a similar style as a doobie...

I would wrap my hair at night and in the morning I would comb the front down a little to create somewhat of a swooping bang...

it was weird..but it was all I could really do at the time...LOL...

At that time I had no clue what a doobie was until someone said..."I like your doobie" ....:perplexed

HoneyDew

I know people that so this. But, I don't think it is a big deal. Some people just do it because they don't want to have a scarf on and maybe that want to take their hair down later for an event or to go out somewhere.

RoseGolden

Do they do doobies in southern california??? :confused: It seems waaay better than pressing and flat ironing all the time. It seems like thats all shops do out here. I never hear about doobies or rollersets or anything like that. Only on this board. It would be so much better for my hair. Hmm.... Anyone know of somewhere in southern cali where they do this?

NewYorkgyrl

I have never been the type to care what other people think. If I have ish to do I should not have to feel like I have to comb my hair down just to go outside and get what I have to do done. That is the same thing to me as women who refuse to be seen in public with sweats on or women who just can't be outside without make-up. Please....it is just the corner store, laundry mat, etc.....

And I will def not unwrap my hair if it raining if I am going from the car to the destination and back to the car and risk my hair getting messed up.

Maybe like other women said I do see many women do this in NY. I also see women with head scarfs and head wraps. And I don't think any of those women really care what anyone thinks.

Now that I am transitioning I do not wrap my hair, I pin curl it.....and YES I will go outside with my hair like that if I am running some errands or just going to the brooklyn, harlem...wherever and I know darn well I am not going to leave my families house.

And in the summer time I will sit on the veranda with rollers in my hair. I hate the dryer in the summer so air drying is best. I don't care what cars roll by. LOL

I guess what some think is unacceptable others could care less. One thing I would not do is go to a special even with it. I would most likely have a hairstyle anyway.LOL

shocol

fletgee said:

Why am I thinking of Saturday Night Live right now? :lol::lol:

H

honey_jammz82

NewYorkgyrl said:
I have never been the type to care what other people think. If I have ish to do I should not have to feel like I have to comb my hair down just to go outside and get what I have to do done. That is the same thing to me as women who refuse to be seen in public with sweats on or women who just can't be outside without make-up. Please....it is just the corner store, laundry mat, etc.....

And I will def not unwrap my hair if it raining if I am going from the car to the destination and back to the car and risk my hair getting messed up.

Maybe like other women said I do see many women do this in NY. I also see women with head scarfs and head wraps. And I don't think any of those women really care what anyone thinks.

Now that I am transitioning I do not wrap my hair, I pin curl it.....and YES I will go outside with my hair like that if I am running some errands or just going to the brooklyn, harlem...wherever and I know darn well I am not going to leave my families house.

And in the summer time I will sit on the veranda with rollers in my hair. I hate the dryer in the summer so air drying is best. I don't care what cars roll by. LOL

I guess what some think is unacceptable others could care less. One thing I would not do is go to a special even with it. I would most likely have a hairstyle anyway.LOL

ITA, when I would get blow outs in NY, I would always have my stylist wrap my hair and I would bring my bright blue scarf to cover my hair until I got home. I could care less what anybody thinks...I aint sweatin my hair out on that hot train!