PSA - doobies & weaves - We have got to do better!!!

naturalmanenyc

Ladies, please STOP rocking your pinned doobie hair out in public. I know that it's done to save the style for the work week but really, is it that hard to take your hair down BEFORE you walk out of the house & wrap it back up before bed? Or put on a hat/cute scarf?

DH really thought that the pinned up doobie was a HAIRSTYLE since so many ladies walk around with their pins still in.:perplexed I saw at least 10 ladies with their pins in today:nono:

And please, if you are weaving, please, please, please cover your tracks & buy a realistic color & texture. Invest in a good flat iron if you must wear silky straight weave and USE IT. We all know that it's not your hair if it was 6 inches on Friday and it's 16 inches on Monday but at least TRY to make it look realistic for the people that do not know you had 6 inches of hair on Friday.

taz007

Ladies, please STOP rocking your pinned doobie hair out in public. I know that it's done to save the style for the work week but really, is it that hard to take your hair down BEFORE you walk out of the house & wrap it back up before bed? Or put on a hat/cute scarf?

DH really thought that the pinned up doobie was a HAIRSTYLE since so many ladies walk around with their pins still in.:perplexed I saw at least 10 ladies with their pins in today:nono:

Dag, where do you live??!! :nono:

LivingDol1

LOL! ITA with you...

i saw a girl on the street yesterday wearing a doobie but she had rainbow colored bobby pins in her hair. red, blue yellow, green....

it was -not- cute.

MonaLisa

You can't beat it when the hair has burgundy and blonde streaks and then you wrap the hair with multi-colored bobby pins!

That is the hawtness!

Gotta love New York!

:lol:

naturalmanenyc

:wallbash:

DH actually asked me to "never" wear my hair like that. He commented that it's such a bad hairstyle and he does not know why women think it's cute:perplexed

I did explain to him that it's a style for sleeping or setting hair ONLY.

LOL! ITA with you...

i saw a girl on the street yesterday wearing a doobie but she had rainbow colored bobby pins in her hair. red, blue yellow, green....

it was -not- cute.

naturalmanenyc

A good friend in the midwest ran to the store, Macy's, a few months ago as they were closing and she admittedly looked a mess. She ran into the regional manager of her office & the HR director who stopped in Macy's on their way home from the airport. I told her to never run out looking like that again since it's a small town and not many Black women with afro's are running around....and she may meet a potential boyfriend.

Why did she do it again this week!!! :wallbash: She ran out to Whole Foods as they were closing, admittedly wearing no bra, a shirt with holes and sweatpants that looked like "a saggy diaper" and she again ran into the regional manager & the spouse.

At least she didn't have her hair in a doobie or tracks showing. :lachen:

locabouthair

Well when I leave the salon I would walk out with a wrap with pins but I'd go straight home. Whenever I see women with wraps with pins, I assume they just left the salon. At least I would like to assume so..

I never really liked long weaves.

naturalmanenyc

Unfortunately, the ones that we have seen are out and about, shopping and such. I know that their kids (those that were shopping with kids/teens) must be embarrassed:ohwell:

Well when I leave the salon I would walk out with a wrap with pins but I'd go straight home. Whenever I see women with wraps with pins, I assume they just left the salon. At least I would like to assume so..

I never really liked long weaves.

Iluvsmuhgrass

No offense meant but I'm too busy handling my business (the economy, paying my bills, trying to make a dollar out of fifteen cents, taking care of my mom, looking out for my family, etc.) to worry about someone else's hair or to worry about what someone else may think of mine. Truth is, there are times when I'm sure someone will think my 'do is lazy or the antitheses of fly but hey... I have bigger fish to fry.(I really don't mean that to sound catty, I'm just speaking my truth.)

No, I'm not guilty of rocking a doobie except after I get my hair done at the salon. :look: :lol:

Mars_Reiko

I agree. I remember back in high school we thought it was cute to come to school with our still wrapped. Today, I wouldn't do it. I barely like walking out the house with my scarf still on.

Freespirit02

And please, if you are weaving, please, please, please cover your tracks & buy a realistic color & texture. Invest in a good flat iron if you must wear silky straight weave and USE IT. We all know that it's not your hair if it was 6 inches on Friday and it's 16 inches on Monday but at least TRY to make it look realistic for the people that do not know you had 6 inches of hair on Friday.

As far as the pins, if I'm just going to the store to by some cornbread..I would NOT take out my pins! I'm just going to have to look out of place. Now if I'm going to the movies..nah, I would take those bad boys out.

Concerning the weave..it is a problem with the matching..it's not right. As fair as going from 6 inchs to 16, I do this all the time. As long as it's cute, i will rock it.

glamazon386

:lol: I never understood that. Unless you're going straight home or it's raining I can understand. But you could bring a scarf and put that on top. I don't really like that either but it's better than the wrap with the pins. We don't need to see your wrap. There was a lady sitting in front of me at church with pincurls and clips a few weeks ago. I know it was raining that day but damn. :ohwell: She know she was wrong.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
I saw a black girl rocking a doobie in public when I was in Manhattan two years ago, I loved it, it reminded me of my country:D.

Angelicus

Please take your rollers and wraps down, people. The last time I went to the doctor's office, all of the black women there had their hair in doobies, with a scarf on. You do not do that. I know that our mothers have taught us better than that!

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Tough crowd, eh? I've left my houe with conditioner in my hair, a shower cap on and a black silk scarf over it. I've occasionally ran a few errands like this and even gone to the library for a few hours. It is not my habit to do this though.

Britt

Tough crowd, eh? I've left my houe with conditioner in my hair, a shower cap on and a black silk scarf over it. I've occasionally ran a few errands like this and even gone to the library for a few hours. It is not my habit to do this though.

Seriously.. me too.. I did this Saturday.. I had to run around the corner and get something and I was deep conditioning my hair, I put on a scarf over my plastic cap and tucked under the ends of the plastic cap.
I don't see the big deal about wearing a doobie outside if I have errands to run after I leave the hairdresser. It also doesn't bother me to see people with a doobie in thier hair on the wknd running around the street. If you're going out at night or going somewhere dressed up w/ makeup, then it would make sense to take it down :lol: ... but if you're running errands and don't feel like taking your pins out.. who cares :perplexed.

BklynHeart

:lachen: My hubby HATES that look! I used to make sure I kept a hat or something in my bag when I went to get a wash and wrap. One time I had to go after work and he was coming to pick me up, he made sure to stop at the store and get a cap for me. :grin:

Prettyeyes

I never do this but I was going to a very sepcial event last weekend and on Thurs. I had just got my hair done, I did not take my pins out and ran the rest of my errands to get ready to go out of town, BSS, a jewelry store and fast food. BUT I would not have done this if I had to go to a movie, mall or anywhere or if it wasn't a really special occasion, I was preserving my hair for, otherwise it is lazy.

Iansan

I get my doobie, run errands locally and then go home...You can catch me about every three months rocking the pins...

BostonMaria

My 19 yr old DD did her hair on Saturday and she walked out of the salon with a doobie. Not only that, but she put on a hair net too! I normally wouldn't care but she had me take her to the mall like that. She didn't care. Damn she's gangsta.

Kerryann

Brooklyn, NYC

BK all day man yes no the people you see with the pins are the ones who just got out of marbells with the extra straight blown hair who really has not too much hair on their heads and its serious the dam pins in at the mall and every freaking where geeezzzzzzeeeeeee

envybeauty

I say just put a nice satin scarf over it to cover the pins.

I'll admit that the Dominicans can wrap my hair wayyyyyyyy better than I can so no....I won't take them down if I am going straight home.

unalteredone

I've never gotten a weave or a doobie but i cant imagine walking around in public like that.. i barely want my SO to see me like that!

Last edited:

diamond42377

Haha, I always see women with their hair pinned in the mornings on the way to work. BUT, I live in Houston and it's so hot and humid here that if you take your hair down BEFORE going out, you will end up looking like buckwheat before 8am LOL. I understand it but to me it's better if you wear a scarf over it. I haven't gotten the nerve up to wear my hair pinned though.