What's up with Crisco?

~~HoneyComb~~

Wow, can someone elaborate on how they're using this for natural presses??? Please and thank you.

You mean for flat ironing or straightening natural hair?

If so, you use the crisco just like you would a hair grease--detangle a small section of the hair, put the crisco on (it melts right into the hair), then press or flat iron as usual. Be careful not to use to much or it will sizzle. No serum, hair grease or other oil has produced the results I get when I use crisco oil on me and my both my DD's hair.

Beverly Ann Properties

My results from using Crisco last night on my hands, feet and face was wonderful. My skin is very soft and not greasy at all. Very moisturizing without a greasy look. My Crisco has moved from the pantry to my bathroom permanently. I will seal my ends with it tonight. This was a great tip~

prettyinpurple

Yea I got some Crisco tonight.

I spooned a bit into an empty glass jar. Can't have the tub of Crisco sitting on my dresser LOL. Anyways I tried some on my hands and it absorbed well. Crisco looks different from what I remember. It really looks like a whipped body butter. Can't wait to try it on my body.

aleemah

i dont know why I think of fried chicken when i think of crisco but yea I have some of that too and i like it for a sealant :) never tried it as a body butter. you have to let me know how that work out for you. Maybe I will try it as well and even add some lavender for a nice scent

NaturalBoss

I went and bought some Crisco to use on my skin and I have had very good results. I have chronic eczema and extremely sensitive skin. Most lotions/creams that I use really don't do anything. I'm back dry and ashy within a couple of hours. The Crisco keeps me soft all day. I think I used a little too much today because I kept smelling a slight hint of what reminded me of my mom's fried chicken. Anyhoo, I'm going to continue to use it.

Next I will be trying it on my hair.

georgia80

I didn't know that Crisco is such a multi-purpose product other than for cooking. Crisco seems to benefit the hair, dry scaly feet, skin, make-up remover and many Gyn's recommend it to their patients as a excellent tried and true lubricant "down there". I learn something every day.

Last edited:

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Your video is what made me try Crisco oil MyAngelEyez and I've been using it on both my DDs hair and my own every since--it's perfect for flat ironing and it holds so well and really make the hair sleek and silky--thank you :kiss:

You're welcome! Sometimes you gotta go old school, LOL, so I have to ultimately thank my momma for introducing me to crisco 25 years ago, :grin:.

HauteHippie

I love Crisco for flat ironing, I don't think I'll use anything else. It gives the sleekiest, most moisturized press---coconut oil and jojoba oil doesn't give the same results, but I still use them for my scalp and to moisturize nightly after I flat iron.

I'm kind of confused. Is Crisco also used as a heat protectant? The oils aren't damaging (contributing to bubbles in the shaft) while flat ironing?

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I'm kind of confused. Is Crisco also used as a heat protectant? The oils aren't damaging (contributing to bubbles in the shaft) while flat ironing?

I use a heat protectant to blow dry prior to straightening with Crisco. However, my mother never did and our hair was fine. My 12 yo DD is natural and gets complete reversion when she washes her hair, no heat damage.

phillycocogirl

Crisco is mostly soybean oil which is high on the ceramide oils list so it makes a lot of sense why so many ladies have been getting good results with it. It seals in the moisture in both your skin and hair. I've been using liquid soybean oil in my hair for the past week and my hair has never felt so soft and smooth. I will definately try Crisco soon.

dancinstallion

Bump, I will start using this. I will definitley use it on my next flat iron at the end of the month. I'm sooooo excited. :yep:

Last edited:

~~HoneyComb~~

Still using crisco to flat iron my hair and both my girls, and I have had no problems using it whatsoever. It has worked for me :yep:

infojunkie

Used it over the weekend after I blow dried my hair. Hair was too big to bun and I wanted a sleek bun for church. I flat ironed with Crisco and now I can't keep my hands out of my hair. So soft and not greasy at all.

Thanks for the info ladies!

tbaby_8

Well SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! I would never had thought to use this. I will be adding this to the grocery list to use on my skin and hair. Cool Beans!

~~HoneyComb~~

Used it over the weekend after I blow dried my hair. Hair was too big to bun and I wanted a sleek bun for church. I flat ironed with Crisco and now I can't keep my hands out of my hair. So soft and not greasy at all.

Thanks for the info ladies!

I love that it doesn't make the hair greasy--just sleek and shiny!!

Hey pretty lady! I'm planning to do this tomorrow..I couldn't wait six months...lol. I will take pics.

Can't wait to see your results Beautytalk69!! :)

empressri

I swear I'm about to get some shortening to flat iron my hair!!!

A million and one $20 products in my arsenal and the cheap stuff is working so wonderfully. Aint thank a mutha? :lachen:

Hersheygurl

Okay, I'm going to try this too next time I straighten. I haven't bought Crisco in ages. I will try some on my skin as well. I just love multi-purpose products!!

lilyofthenile

I have friends who used crisco for twist outs and simply for sealing and as a leave in... I'm quite interested in trying its effects.

AlekHidell

So I stalked this thread for months before trying this today. And I all I can say is wow. I used very little on small sections using a much lower temperature than I normally do . . .and not only was it easier overall to flat-iron, but so smooth and soft. Like someone said above, I can't stop touching my hair! I was sure it would be greasy or smelly, but nope. I'm just mad I waited so long to try it.

MyCoilsGoBoing

I don't have Crisco, but a HUGE tub of vegetable shortening in the fridge. I will use it the next I flat iron my hair.

*excited*

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
So, you all are using the shortening and not the oil? My eczema is terrible, and the creams to treat it can be expensive. If anybody has used both the shortening and the oil, which do you prefer? Do you think it makes a difference?

belletropjolie

Ok so I got some Crisco tonight based SOLELY on this thread. Used it on my hair after I washed- I'm going to reserve judgment until my hair has fully dried. I also used it on my skin and I love the results. I love that my face still feels smooth hours after I used it.

Thank you Op!! This is a super helpful thread!

FoxxyLocs

I bought some last night to try on my hair, and I want to use it on DS too for his eczema. I put some on my damp hair before I put my scarf on for bed. This morning my hair felt super soft and not greasy at all! It still feels soft now. I also tried it on my elbows and they feel great too! I went ahead and put some on DS's legs this morning. So far I really like it.

ETA: And it doesn't have a smell at all, so I like that too.

Ms_CoCo37

Why did I run out to Wally World this morning to pick up a can of Crisco?:look:

Ya'll know good and well that I am a straight up PJ.:look:

DARN YOU ALL!!!!:swearing:

*stomps out of the thread*