I did a write up on Crisco

PracticallyMe

High Powered Lurker
Great post. I used Crisco to press for my most recent length check and I hadn't straightened in probably two years or so. I definitely liked the way my hair came out.

Also, I made a shea butter/aloe vera gel/crisco moisturizer (also has small amounts of other things in it like essential oils, some olive oil, castor oil ) to use on me and my two daughters hair. It is great. I can put this moisturizer on once a week and their hair says moisturized all week.

My oldest DD wears her hair braided in the front and a big, thick puff in the back. Her hair is 4a and she has a lot of it. I might spritz it with a small amount of water/conditioner every other day, so I can fingercomb to get shedded hair out, but it doesn't dry out. When I touch it after it dries, it still feels moisturized.

My youngest DD wears twists and her hair also stays moisturized. Her hair has a tendency to dry out and tangle a lot. She's 4a/b. I definitely think the Crisco is sealing in the moisture. I use it on my hair too (3c/4a), but I'm braided up under a wig because I'm 'hiding my hair'. Still, when I take my hair down, it feels very moisturized.

I haven't found anything that is not expensive and easily acquired that works this well to keep three different types of hair moisturized. I love Crisco! It's making my life a bit easier. I attached pics of my DDs hair for reference.

Attached photos: First Pic - oldest DD hair, Second pic - Youngest DD hair

Attachments

• DD1_hair.jpg
    DD1_hair.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 78
  • DD2_hair.jpg
    DD2_hair.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 88

Victoria44

Ive had so many questions about crisco and this almost answered them all! I just have one question, when you flat iron with it, do you put it throughout a whole section and then flat iron in pieces, OR each piece that you take out to flat iron gets a swipe of crisco?

TIA

naturallygoldie

Ive had so many questions about crisco and this almost answered them all! I just have one question, when you flat iron with it, do you put it throughout a whole section and then flat iron in pieces, OR each piece that you take out to flat iron gets a swipe of crisco?

TIA

I don't know how other ladies are using it but I use a swipe per piece. I have fine hair so I use much less than what the OP has on her finger in the pic. I basically use just enough to work into the piece that I'm about to flat iron.

HanaKuroi

Are we using heat protectant and crisco or just crisco? I airdry only.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

ItsMeFre

I used this and I will never use anything else again because it was great! I used it without heat protectant and on a level 8 on the Maxiglide.... however I got a little bit of heat damage.

Has anyone else experienced heat damage with this? Maybe I'll do a lower setting next time.

HanaKuroi

I used this and I will never use anything else again because it was great! I used it without heat protectant and on a level 8 on the Maxiglide.... however I got a little bit of heat damage.

Has anyone else experienced heat damage with this? Maybe I'll do a lower setting next time.

ItsMeFre thanks! I am waiting for my hair to dry. I have a maxiglide I have never used it above 5. Did you use it dry or with the steam?

ChristmasCarol

ItsMeFre

Sorry to hear you experienced heat damage :sad:

Using oil, high heat and no protectant is just asking for trouble - IMO. I also used a Maxiglide, but set it at level 4. I also used Fantasia IC heat protectant.

Because I use a low heat setting - I make the sections really, really thin to compensate. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to finish, with no breaks. HTH

Bluetopia

Using Crisco caused me to get heat damage for the first time in my entire life. Didn't even know that was capable for my resistant hair.

I'd been baggying earlier that day so maybe the extra moisture caused this, or maybe I used a bit too much - but either way.....use with caution!

Moving forward I'm only gonna apply it on damp hair (its a great detangler), air dry in braids and then lightly blowdry. This seems to be the best tactic for me. still in shock over the loose pieces of hair at the back of my head :blush: (luckily i peeped the heat damage immediately that first time and stopped after finishing that one section)

Last edited:

Guitarhero

Nice write-up. Reading the ingredients makes me more afraid to consume it than to put it on hair. Those gosh darn delicious biscuits lol. And it is the troof for dry skin!!!

ItsMeFre

@ItsMeFre thanks! I am waiting for my hair to dry. I have a maxiglide I have never used it above 5. Did you use it dry or with the steam?

When I first bought it a year ago, I would use it with steam but my hair would always revert fast and would frizz immediately. So I have been putting water in it but not pressing the steam button and have been getting much better results.

Also, I never usually go above a 7 on the maxiglide, but thought that since I was using crisco this time I could go higher...I guess not since I got a little bit of heat damage :nono:

ItsMeFre

@ItsMeFre

Sorry to hear you experienced heat damage :sad:

Using oil, high heat and no protectant is just asking for trouble - IMO. I also used a Maxiglide, but set it at level 4. I also used Fantasia IC heat protectant.

Because I use a low heat setting - I make the sections really, really thin to compensate. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to finish, with no breaks. HTH

I guess what I got from all the crisco posts was that the Crisco was to act as a heat protectant since it didn't boil unitl about 450 degrees (or so I thought). When I emailed the company they said a level 8 is 385 degrees ( I pasted the email below). But next time I will definately use a lower setting....

(The Email)

Here you go:

Temperatures in Fahrenheit by dial number:

1 = 234 degrees
2 = 255
3 = 277
4 = 298
5 = 320
6 = 342
7 = 363
8 = 385
9 = 406
10 = 428

Sincerely,

Laura Bassett
www.maxiusbeauty.com
1-866-MAXIUS-1

Last edited:

ItsMeFre

Using Crisco caused me to get heat damage for the first time in my entire life. Didn't even know that was capable for my resistant hair.

I'd been baggying earlier that day so maybe the extra moisture caused this, or maybe I used a bit too much - but either way.....use with caution!

Moving forward I'm only gonna apply it on damp hair (its a great detangler), air dry in braids and then lightly blowdry. This seems to be the best tactic for me. still in shock over the loose pieces of hair at the back of my head :blush: (luckily i peeped the heat damage immediately that first time and stopped after finishing that one section)

Wow that's crazy! I wonder what were the results of all those people who were using Crisco at the end of the year/ beginning of the new year...there were several posts about it...

LoveCraze

Naturalista

I used a heat protectant in addition to the Crisco and I had total reversion. My temp was about 350.

The bolded is how I used it . I then allowed it to air dry to about 60% and then I blow dried my hair.

Lynn84

It will “fry” my hair like it fries that delicious chicken.

:lachen:
@ the bold.

Nice write up. I've been wondering why everyone is using Crisco lately.

Misshairdiva

Bumping up this thread! At first it DID sound crazy... Crisco on hair.. but then after reading the ingrediants I was like ok I'll give this stuff a try. Went out and got me some.. but it on my feet first, ok.. great, its not really that heavy feeling like I thought, then I put it on my hands and face it soaked right in, and it wasn't even greesy, so last but not least I put a good amount all over my domican blow out straight hair style and.. I AM IN LUV.. I AM IN LUV!!!:Blush2: It didn't weigh my hair down and it wasn't greasy at all.

(I did however put it in a fancy container so when I travel with friends they wont think I have lost my mind!):grin:

classoohfive

Bumping up this thread! At first it DID sound crazy... Crisco on hair.. but then after reading the ingrediants I was like ok I'll give this stuff a try. Went out and got me some.. but it on my feet first, ok.. great, its not really that heavy feeling like I thought, then I put it on my hands and face it soaked right in, and it wasn't even greesy, so last but not least I put a good amount all over my domican blow out straight hair style and.. I AM IN LUV.. I AM IN LUV!!!:Blush2: It didn't weigh my hair down and it wasn't greasy at all.

(I did however put it in a fancy container so when I travel with friends they wont think I have lost my mind!):grin:

Yes, seeing the ingredients is what really helped me feel more comfortable with trying it. I've only used it to seal since I didn't have time to flat iron, but I never thought about using it on my skin. My skin gets so depressed in the winter, lol, this might be just what I need. Thank you for the tip.

LOL @ the fancy container! I just used a small bowl (I cook and bake with my Crisco, and I didn't want to have it in the bathroom or with dirty fingers in it) that I scooped from the main jar. I'm sure I could get a decent looking container from the store. :look:

Misshairdiva

I'm in love... WITH CRISCO!!:love: I have been putting it on my hair every few days and today when I went to get my domican blowout my beautician was like "what did you do to your hair? Its so soft." Said she usually after she washes it its frizzy and I told her the ONLY thing I did differently was that I put Crisco on my hair every few days!!! So, after my blowouts I am going to continue putting Crisco on my skin and my hair. And its not as heavy as you would think it is. I put it on my entire body including my face!

Honi

There is no board.
I'm in love... WITH CRISCO!!:love: I have been putting it on my hair every few days and today when I went to get my domican blowout my beautician was like "what did you do to your hair? Its so soft." Said she usually after she washes it its frizzy and I told her the ONLY thing I did differently was that I put Crisco on my hair every few days!!! So, after my blowouts I am going to continue putting Crisco on my skin and my hair. And its not as heavy as you would think it is. I put it on my entire body including my face!

This stuff is wonderful for winter skin and hair! I slather it on my kids too. Before I shampoo and condition I rinse with water to detangle and have no problems. Just soft hair.

Aggie

Seem like it would make a great sealant especially since the ingredient list is appealing for hair. Hmmm:scratchch, I might consider getting a small container for this purpose.

Aggie

Seem like it would make a great sealant especially since the ingredient list is appealing for hair. Hmmm:scratchch, I might consider getting a small container for this purpose.

You know what? I am definitely going to use this as a sealant because I have been purchasing Jamaican black castor oil Hair food at $7.99 for only 4oz to mix with JBCO to thicken it for my ends and I hated spending all this money for such a miniscule amount of product.

Thanks so much for the detailed review OP.

ellebelle88

Yall can I flat iron with Crisco if the only flat iron I have is a Chi?? My Chi doesn't have a temperature control setting on it and I don't wanna risk it reaching the "smoking" point and getting heat damage? Do yall think its safe to flat iron with a Chi if I use Crisco?

Misshairdiva

Humm... my daughter flat ironed her hair on 385 for no bad effects at all. I dont know about flat ironing with a flat iron where you dont know the temp...