Crisco for hair?

keepithealthy

Soooo I've been reading a lot about people using Crisco on their hair. I'm wondering if any of you are using it.

If you use Crisco please share how you use it. Pretty Please :D

MyAngelEyez~C~U If I remember correctly you use it to straighten your daughters hair, right?

LadyPBC

Let me say that I am, by no means, an expert on the usage of Crisco but I have used it at least a couple of times. I tried it this time after reading a thread about heavy sealing. I realized that I too use all the oils or combinations of them but my hair ends up being dry. For example this morning I wet pieces of my hair in the nape area (so it could create defined curls) and sealed it with oils. It looked great but by 2pm those curls looked like a dry and thirsty cloud (unkept).:perplexed I am going to try it again tomorrow morning with Crisco just to see how it turns out but let me answer your specific question:

The two times I used the solid canned Crisco I used it to flat or two strand twist my hair. I washed, DC and used Kimmaytubes leave in recipe, then added flaxseed gel (with oils in it) then sealed with the Crisco. My hair was so smooth that I didn't need to used the fine toothed comb or the brush (can't think of the name). I could actually just smooth it out with my fingers. What I find remarkable though is just how soft and moisturized my hair felt the next day - heavenly if I must say so myself (except I was probably a little heavy handed on the shortening:grin:). I love it even though I think I have fine hair and I'm concerned about being able to wash it out (I really shouldn't be because I use Terressentials Mud Wash) and I hope that I am not putting a bad product on my hair. I just know it makes my hair feel the way I want it to.

FearlessNik

Yep. Use it for my body too. I'm natural and I wash, condition, add shealoe to my hair. I wait until my hair is damp before I seal it with Crisco (the solid form). I put it on my edges and tie them up to lay it down.

I also put it on my body after I get out of the shower (part of getting out of PJ mode).

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
I use the organic and non-hydronated form of palm oil from Spectrum. What I love about it is that it imparts UNBELIEVABLE shine and softness to the hair, is not super greasy, absorbs easily into the hair, lays down edges and is CHEAP (you get a huge tub for like $4 and some change.

I've thought about using other "butters" but most of them are mixed with palm oil anyway so I decided to cut out the middle man and save my money!

Chioniso

I saw a youtube video of how this woman presses her daughter's natural hair using crisco as a pressing oil. I was intrigued.

I am in England and I don't want to have to order it online. Does anyone know where I can get it? I tried Asda and Sainsburys.

Honi

There is no board.
This is the only product that will get my DD 4b hair straight. Tried others and result is not nearly as close.

MzRhonda

This is the only product that will get my DD 4b hair straight. Tried others and result is not nearly as close.

Honi please share how you use it on your dd to get her hair straight......I just washed and conditioned my dd long think natural hair.......I put heat protector and blow dried and flat ironed...it was straight but a poofy straight, kwim? She wants her hair straight and swanging.....lol......when straight it is practically to her butt.

Honi

There is no board.
Honi please share how you use it on your dd to get her hair straight......I just washed and conditioned my dd long think natural hair.......I put heat protector and blow dried and flat ironed...it was straight but a poofy straight, kwim? She wants her hair straight and swanging.....lol......when straight it is practically to her butt.

When I wash and condition her hair I braid her hair in small sections and airdry it. For some reason her hair turns a fried crispy texture when dry direct heat hits it and she will absolutely not tolerate all that pulling either :look: :lachen:

I just use a small amout on each section after I undo her braid and work it thru her hair from root to tip, pass a comb thru it to get all the braided texture out, then flat iron. It only takes a couple of passes and it's straight. A small amount is all you need too or else it will be greasy and not swanging. Learned that the hard way. I used to use gobs of it.

My DD is only midback. Shooo with your DD's hair nearly booty length you may need two cans :lol:

Tiye

Lots of quality products include hydrogenated vegetable oil as an ingredient. This stuff is nice coz you get the benefits of a "grease" without the negatives associated with petrolatum. I have crisco - plain white - not flavored - at the moment but any brand is fine. You can use it for skin or hair - add it to blends, etc. Don't apply it with a heavy hand - you won't be happy with the results. As already stated - you just need a very small amount - and it really gets the job done.