Scalp Moisture, Clogged Pores

soslychic

I have a very dry scalp and it always needs to be moisturized, but I've heard a lot about products clogging pores. I don't use any type of petroleum based products. Still, I don't want to use anything that clogs the pores and prevents hair growth. What do you use to moisturize your scalp that dosn't clog?

tc_333

My favorite moisturizer for my scalp is Jojoba oil, because it's very light and does a great job! I get mine from my local health food store, but I think the beauty stores carry it too.

Integrity

a cheaper and equally effective one is extra virgin olive oil, basically most carrier oils will do a good job.

gvsugirl

I thought you werent supposed to put anything on the scalp.? I've never applied anything to mine and my hair grows fine. My scalp is also on the dry side but I attribute it's greater moisture level to (multiple) daily massages

Paris Belle

My scalp is also very dry. I use a mixture of shea butter and EO's. There is a recipe on the Hair Recipe Board: Coconute Rose Butter mix that I highly recommend and is very similar to what I use.

Jade21

Hello!

I wish I could send you some of this sebum of mine. My scalp is quite oily.

What I would recommend to you are jojoba oil, apricot kernal oil and a product called UNpetroleum. I think the latter is by Indigo. The jojoba oil is relatively light and is most similar to the sebum on your scalp...very compatible. Plus, it has balancing properties to the scalp: encourages sebum production and breaks it up where needed. The apricot kernal oil is extremely light. You could apply it nightly, if necessary, and as with the jojoba, would not have a lot of build-up. If you would rather have something like a pomade, the latter is the way to go...no petrochems in it.

I agree with the person who suggested massaging your scalp. That encourages sebum production. Try to massage at least twice weekly and you might use a warm oil.

I would also suggest an oral supplement of essential fatty acids like flaxseed oil. If you are taking biotin, let me know how much you are taking because the right dosage will also kick up major sebum.

It's actually VERY hard to clog your follicles and significantly impede hair growth.

Cheers,

Jade

Islandgirl

hi, i have a dry scalp too. Like Jade21, I also recommend jojoba oil. This oil (its not really an oil) is closet to your own sebum. I also recommend the scalp massages. I do mine lying down with my head hanging off the bed. I also take GNC natural brand flaxseed oil internally-500mg a day.
PS I think the suggestions that are given are great. I have read some literature on dry scalp issues that said not to grease the scalp, but instead oil the scalp and massage the scalp. Good luck and update us on what happens with your scalp.

lexi_24

When you put jojoba oil on your scalp, how do you make sure you do not put too much and avoid it getting on your hair or making your hair wet? This may seem like a strange question but I use jojoba oil as a preshampoo treatment and I just wonder how do you make sure you do not over do it on your scalp.

H

HoneyRockette

I use Emu Oil. That is its whole claim to fame. It penetrates without clogging pores.

butterscotch

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
gvsugirl said:
I thought you werent supposed to put anything on the scalp.? I've never applied anything to mine and my hair grows fine. My scalp is also on the dry side but I attribute it's greater moisture level to (multiple) daily massages

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I use no-lye texturizer, my scalp ends up being very dry, my hair has no problems growing - in fact, I have gained 1/4 more growth when i switched.

I have never heard anything about not putting oils on your scalp, but I just have to, my scalp hasn't been this dry in about 10 years.