Thanks Crisco!!!

yodie

MY STORY
Yep, I bit the bullet and tried Crisco. I'm a believer!!
No pics in this thread. Sorry! I rarely snap and post pics.

My ends are just about terrible from mid shaft on down. Why? How? Well, I wore some crazy twist out style for a couple of months. I added product to my hair several times a day and never checked to see how my hair was doing in between. DAMAGE!! I've never been one of those quick growers, so it's taken awhile for me to recover. This was the foundation of my damage and any little overload of heat, protein, already dry ends just made it worse.

I'm wearing tracks, but I still have some hair out. I'm protective styling for ALL of 2012. I was about to post and ask you ladies what I could use to semi-save my ends so I could progressively trim them and still cover my track versus just chopping them all of. I HATE taking care of damaged hair. YUCK! I considered cutting all of my ends right after the holiday and wear my hair in a chignon until it grew out.

RESULTS
I said what the heck, picked up a can of Crisco ($4.79) threw a little on my ends and I KNEW I had a winner immediately. I went over it with a warm flat iron, but from now on I'll just put Crisco on my ends every night and pin curl my hair.

My ends look 80% better than what they did before. SERIOUSLY!! I'm shocked!! I'm not buying another butter, pomade, etc for my hair. The shine is GORGEOUS!! My ends are smooth now and my hair is shiny. I'm shocked!!!

Try it. You have nothing to lose.
Guess what else? I read that Crisco is great for eczema. My brother suffers with eczema, so guess what he's gonna get wrapped up under the tree? A CAN OF CRISCO!!

Question
Crisco works better on my ends than Castor Oil, but I'm sure I need castor for moisture and the Crisco for sealing.
Is this correct? Is Crisco more of a sealant, moisture, or both?

I'm SOLD!!!

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Great testimony. I personally use it as a sealant. I put it on wet/damp hair. Would love to see your brother's face when he opens that gift at Christmas. LOL

yodie

StephElise, darn, why couldn't it be both. I'll use my KeraCare moisturizer treatment and seal with Crisco. Maybe I'll try Castor first.

My brother is probably gonna hate on me when he opens up his can of Crisco. Oh well, he'll thank me if it works.

Supergirl, Hmm, never heard anyone talk about their parents using Crisco. My mom used Blue Magic to press my hair. I hate that stuff to this very day.

yodie

^^^ Let us know how it turns out when you do. Crisco is going to start disappearing off the shelves.

InBloom

In my new-growth
More and more I see people using and loving Crisco. Do you find that it's heavy or weighs your hair down at all? Some people don't mind slightly weighed down hair, it just boils down to choice.

One more thing..what is a chignon??

yodie

I really like it and it doesn't weigh my hair down at all. I like it so much that I took a little on vacation w/me. A chignon is a like a french roll.

nicole625

my skin loves crisco! i have three different skin problems, including eczema. i also found that putting crisco on my skin AFTER i apply my ointments seem to make my skin stay moisterized much longer in the day

Billygirl61

When I used Crisco for flat ironing, very light handed coz I have alot of fine hair and my roots are still straight after over a week. This includes exercising and in the shower. I absolutely love it and you can use your flat iron on lower temp than normal
HTH

LilMissRed

I bought some a few days ago and used it yesterday on freshly co-washed hair then I bunned it up.. def a keeper :yep:

LilMissRed

RarityFluttershy

I used it on towel dried hair, not 'soaking' but damp.Greasy.... I will say it was a tad greasier than I would've preferred, meaning I could see the oil on my fingers if I ventured to my scalp area, BUT I haven't used it again since the inital application,and as the days have gone by its not been as greasy.. just soft.

Hope that makes sense

I really like it so far.
Always happy to share my experiences :)

AtlantaJJ

I'm going to use Crisco on a twist out or braid out next week. I'll be in Orlando attending a convention. I know it's humid out there so it will be put to the test. I'll report my findings.

Thanks for the post yodie !! How is Crisco working for you now that some time has passed?

yodie

I just came back from Orlando. That humidity kicked my butt. I wore a scarf just about the entire tme. I haven't been doing many twist outs, but when I did it worked great.

AtlantaJJ

I just came back from Orlando. That humidity kicked my butt. I wore a scarf just about the entire tme. I haven't been doing many twist outs, but when I did it worked great.

I'm glad you told me that! I'm going to wear a Marley braid up-do while I'm there so I won't have to be fussing with my hair! I just got hipped to the Marley braid yesterday. Where has it been all my life!

I'll try Crisco styling when I return. Thanks for responding!

BraunSugar

It's part of my leave-in. Learned about it a few yrs ago but didn't use it til the end of last year. It's a God send!

Seamonster

Boy if I didn't have so many jars of grease I would be at store right now. Soon as I whittle down my grease stash I am going to try this.

karenjoe

True story!!
my great grandmother told me when she was a girl she & her sisters, would
heat a fork & use crisco...... this must have been in the the 1930's.....
lol

yodie

I'm glad you told me that! I'm going to wear a Marley braid up-do while I'm there so I won't have to be fussing with my hair! I just got hipped to the Marley braid yesterday. Where has it been all my life!

I'll try Crisco styling when I return. Thanks for responding!

Now you know you have to spill the goods. What's a Marley braid?
I definitely plan on getting back to doing twist outs with Crisco. I use it on my body as well. I love it.