Sew-in Challenge 2014-2015 (6 months or 9 months)

hairqueenny

Made my weave appointment for next week. I'm so excited!!! Have been wearing a wig for 2 weeks and though I have been getting so many compliments, I'm terrifies someone is going to pull it off lol. This weekend I'm going to wash and DC and detangle again! I wish I could get this sew-in today but she only had an appointment for next week. I'm trying to be patient but this is the longest break I have taken in between sew-ins for 3 years!!

mzpurp

HairPleezeGrow Pretty!! I love using flexis on my weave!

I will be joining you ladies pretty soon! I just placed my order from Studio4HairATL.

I got the Brazilian Curly closure 14', 16' bundle, and 18' bundle.

I used the VIRGO coupon code and saved $76, I'm in love already based off of that lolol! Can't wait to see it!

I really wanted to get a protective style bc I'm tired of doing my hair, but I also just booked a trip to the Bahamas for October so of course, I want to put my hair away for that!

ezina

Made my weave appointment for next week. I'm so excited!!! Have been wearing a wig for 2 weeks and though I have been getting so many compliments, I'm terrifies someone is going to pull it off lol. This weekend I'm going to wash and DC and detangle again! I wish I could get this sew-in today but she only had an appointment for next week. I'm trying to be patient but this is the longest break I have taken in between sew-ins for 3 years!!

hairqueenny

Wow, you're like sew-in queen! Since you've been in sew-ins for so long, how have they benefited you? What are the pros and cons? Have you experienced thinning, breakage? How have your edges kept up? What type of sew-ins do you usually get? Full? Leave-out? Partial? What do you think of nets? And finally, how much length have you retained in sew-ins?

Sorry, I'm just so curious as I may make sew-ins my go-to protective style for the next 6-12 months, and I'm nervous about ruining all this growth I already have since I decided to stop relaxing. I also noticed you didn't answer any of the challenge questions...hehe, I promise I'm not a stalker....
or am I... :sekret:

hairqueenny

@hairqueenny

Wow, you're like sew-in queen! Since you've been in sew-ins for so long, how have they benefited you? What are the pros and cons? Have you experienced thinning, breakage? How have your edges kept up? What type of sew-ins do you usually get? Full? Leave-out? Partial? What do you think of nets? And finally, how much length have you retained in sew-ins?

Sorry, I'm just so curious as I may make sew-ins my go-to protective style for the next 6-12 months, and I'm nervous about ruining all this growth I already have since I decided to stop relaxing. I also noticed you didn't answer any of the challenge questions...hehe, I promise I'm not a stalker....
or am I... :sekret:

Yes, I have been wearing sew-ins as a protective style for a long time. When I started my hair was VERY damaged and my new stylist at the time told me to get a full head with minimal leave out instead of the in between tracks I went to her for. She had to cut off a lot of my hair to around my ear because of the damage. So while wearing the weaves, I decided it didn't make sense to relax my hair and started cutting my relaxed ends in between installs. My hair was finally growing and looking healthy after years of never getting past shoulder length. I had an episode where my edges decided to leave me :lachen:. It was due to postpartum and I used a different stylist who braided my edges way too tight. I used the Jane Carter's scalp serum and they basically came right back.

I LOVE the versatility of weave via styles and colors. I change my hair color with just about every install! I honestly haven't experienced thinning but had some breakage when I would leave out some of my hair because of the constant heat for blending. So, I started using closures 85% of the time. Maybe like 3 installs with closure and then one without, usually in the cooler months. I never had an install with a net so I can't give my opinion on that. I am currently grazing APL and posted a picture in the APL/BSL challenge thread. This is the longest my hair has ever been and I am a slow grower.

I think it's important to pay close attention to your hair while wearing the installs and treat it. I can't lie, I didn't always do this but plan on starting now. If your hair does not like it then stop immediately. My hair likes to be left alone. It does not like to be manipulated often and grows best when protected. Sorry this post was so long but I wanted to answer all your questions. I'm sorry I didn't answer the challenge questions, I think it will be best to answer them when I get the install no?? I will post the starting pic that day! Promise :grin:

mshoneyfly

Hi Ladies,
Took my sew-in out thursday night. Dont think I'll be getting another one any time soon. I couldnt wait to wash my hair so I didnt detangle first. I did prepoo with vatika oil and SM noni & monoi smooth & repair rinse out conditioner but it was still a matted, tangled mess.

I used an AVJ, hemp oil spritz to detangle but I had to sit for hours and pull each strand out of the knots. It was exausting! Im gonna wig it for a while so I'll have to bow out gracefully.

I will try to do a good LC pic next week when I do my TU. Hopefully a retained a little bit.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

yodie

Jumping back in this challenge. I had a full sew in, but its way too much for my edges. I've been wearing my hair for the last two weeks and I'm already doing too much just trying to figure out a good protective style and look decent. At this rate I'll lose all the progress I made by wearing an install April - Aug. So, I'm going to track up the back and wear just the top and sides out until June. I'm too self conscious with a wig right now, so I'm going straight for the tracks.

Just ordered from Extensions Plus tonight and next week I'll track it back up until June.

ImanAdero

Going to wash my hair tonight.

My scalp is TRIPPIN right now, so I have to get it under control. I'm going I try ACV.

But since I have to go for a run tomorrow... IGH I dunno lol.

intellectualuva

I'm reading that some of you have irritated or itchy scalp....what are some things you're doing to manage it? I just tried an Aloe Vera Gel/Coconut Oil on my scalp and breathed deeply. Lol.

Have any of you all think allergies could be a cause? I've been weaving it up off and on for over a year and my allergies have been out of control all week....accompanied by my itchy scalp. I'm just curious if anyone else have experienced anything like that.

ImanAdero

^^^ actually I was just thinking about this (washed my leave out but not the rest of my scalp)... I dunno what it is actually. I don't think it's the hair itself. I have oiled my scalp though and used a spray with peppermint which cools it down for a little bit.

This happened the last time I wore a weave though and after 2 weeks it was fine except right before it was time to wash.

So I really do think I just need to wash my hair/scalp... I've just been lazy lol.

ImanAdero

I COULD be allergies though and the outside is causing this scalp of mine to act a fool.

Side bar: I cut the weave a little bit. It was too much of a difference between the two textures so now that the 22 is more like a 20, it looks better (minus these ends I cut a little too bluntly but oh well lol)

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
This weave makes me think that all I really want is full APL. It's a tad past that and it feels sooo long to me.
I washed and DCed in the shower today, then blowdried and flatironed. It's too cold to wash and go so I will likely be wear it straight more often.

Kerryann

Been in a sew in for the last 3 weeks and will be wearing weaves until Next June..... I'm over my hair

atlien11

I've never worn a full sew in weave so I probably have no business being in this thread but I'm curious as to how you ladies wash your hair?

I hear so many complaints about people who can't/don't wash it because they can't get to their scalp OR those who do wash but have the mildew smell bc they can't get their hair to dry underneath. Id like to pass this knowledge on of possible. Thanks!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I've never worn a full sew in weave so I probably have no business being in this thread but I'm curious as to how you ladies wash your hair? I hear so many complaints about people who can't/don't wash it because they can't get to their scalp OR those who do wash but have the mildew smell bc they can't get their hair to dry underneath. Id like to pass this knowledge on of possible. Thanks!
atlien11 I slather DC on my braids then I put diluted shampoo in a spray bottle and I cleanse my scalp that way. I just make sure to rinse it out thoroughly.
Honestly I let it air dry and I don't ever have a problem with it drying. Maybe my hair just dries quickly cause it dries in a few hours and I never even sit under the dryer.

intellectualuva

I use diluted conditioners right on the braids, acv...even a shampoo if it's really needed. I lift the hair to get in between the braids and to my scalp. I've never had a problem air drying or mildew and I've only done full weaves with closure.

hairqueenny

So I was able to get squeezed in for an appointment yesterday for a sew in and I'm officially in this challenge.

Current length or starting pic:

image-263425446.jpg

Challenge goal: The stylist says I'm MBL but I thought I was grazing APL so I don't know lol. My main challenge is to keep a head full of healthy hair that keeps growing!

Length of commitment: 6 months but will probably extend

Weave style/install hair: Full head install with minimal leave out for side part

Weave regimen: Wash and DC every two weeks. Moisturize scalp and braids every other day with oils

Your top weave tip: don't get the braids too tight and still care for your hair underneath. Last night I was told by the stylist to consider getting a u-part wig made and installed because it can be taken off more often to treat my hair underneath and sewed down like an install. I'm considering doing this next and wanted to share this tip with you ladies.

Heres are pics of my current install

image-3001403931.jpg

image-3880775812.jpg

BFeathers

So I was able to get squeezed in for an appointment yesterday for a sew in and I'm officially in this challenge.

Current length or starting pic:

View attachment 276499

Challenge goal: The stylist says I'm MBL but I thought I was grazing APL so I don't know lol. My main challenge is to keep a head full of healthy hair that keeps growing!

Length of commitment: 6 months but will probably extend

Weave style/install hair: Full head install with minimal leave out for side part

Weave regimen: Wash and DC every two weeks. Moisturize scalp and braids every other day with oils

Your top weave tip: don't get the braids too tight and still care for your hair underneath. Last night I was told by the stylist to consider getting a u-part wig made and installed because it can be taken off more often to treat my hair underneath and sewed down like an install. I'm considering doing this next and wanted to share this tip with you ladies.

Heres are pics of my current install

View attachment 276501

View attachment 276503

It looks just above APL to me but maybe that's because with the robe I can't see your neck to gauze the length from there.

The install hair is so pretty. What hair is it?

hairqueenny

It looks just above APL to me but maybe that's because with the robe I can't see your neck to gauze the length from there. The install hair is so pretty. What hair is it?

Thanks that's what I have been saying grazing APL. I thought I was going crazy. The hair is actually old Indique pure wavy hair that I reused. Thanks!

atlien11

Rocky91 intellectualuva

Thank you for the insight. Maybe its the humid Georgia weather...

My hair takes a long time to dry, even overnight, its still damp when i wake up. I have a friend who went on vacation and tried to wash the salt water out of her full sew in. It was very stinky by the time she got back to atlanta because she said it still wasnt dry after three days...She was worried that sitting under a dryer for 2+ hours would dry out her hair and her installed hair.

Lets just say her man wasnt happy :nono:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Good morning ladies. I did another flexi rod set last night. I only put in 9 flexirods this time and added Carol Daughters pudding. My weave feels great. Nice and soft and the curls came out nice and tight.
This is after I removed the rollers.

ForumRunner_20140915_090456.jpg

After I styled

ForumRunner_20140915_090519.jpg

ForumRunner_20140915_090528.jpg

ForumRunner_20140915_090543.jpg

ForumRunner_20140915_090552.jpg

sharifeh

I'm in a new weave as of last week. I feel like she did it tighter this time than other times which is annoying but other than that it's fine.
I'm planning not to do my first wash for another week

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

ImanAdero

Gonna wash tomorrow... For real this time.

Plus I keep making myself worried when I scratch my hair. I've probably scratched up half of my follicles.

So it's time to get this hair washed! Woo hoooo I'm excited!

Plan on using diluted "I Love Juicy" shampoo and Trader Joe's TTT conditioner. I also feel like I'm going to deep condition too. At least superbly oil my scalp and get this hair moisturized. Can't let my real hair act up.

hairqueenny

Good morning ladies. I did another flexi rod set last night. I only put in 9 flexirods this time and added Carol Daughters pudding. My weave feels great. Nice and soft and the curls came out nice and tight. This is after I removed the rollers. After I styled

That's so pretty. What size flexirods are you using?

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
That's so pretty. What size flexirods are you using?

Girl I couldn't tell you the size but I use the orange, red, two different blue ones, and purple. I'm sorry i don't have the original packaging they came in. I did get them from CVS though and the purple from BSS a long time ago.

Eta- forgot about the pink ones I have too lol

Last edited:

hairqueenny

Girl I couldn't tell you the size but I use the orange, red, two different blue ones, and purple. I'm sorry i don't have the original packaging they came in. I did get them from CVS though and the purple from BSS a long time ago.

Ok I have the blue and purple ones so I can estimate the sizes. Thanks, I will give this a try!