sew ins? need some advice...

LivingDol1

hi,

i attempted to do a search on the forum but the search terms didn't give me any results... maybe it's down...?

anyway, i am considering getting a sew in this winter, after i am done with my braids. i just don't feel like dealing with my own hair right now and maybe i want a change in my look. i'm about 7 months post relaxer.

so, who are the sew in experts on the board?

why do sew ins work for you? as opposed to other protective styling options?
how long do you wear them for?
what kind of hair do you use?
how do you take care of your hair while wearing a sew in?
how do you avoid breakage?
how much hair do you leave out?

i'm sure this has been discussed up and down so if there are any useful threads, i'd be grateful if you'd post them.

thanks!

ms.blue

I wore weaves and braids for two years but I don't think I'm expert.

1. I think weaves look better on me than braids also I get to try different styles and textures with weaves.

2. I usually wear my weaves for two months sometimes 4 weeks or 3 months.

3. I have used bss hair (sensationnel, outre and lord & cliff) I also used hair from hair supply store which cost over $200 and was able to use again. Now I ordered indian remy hair (wavy) which is okay but I'm getting malaysian hair next to see what I like better. Better quailty hair will be easier to take off and also look better.

4. I moisturize my hair everyday with glycerin mix (scalp gets irritated when glycerin touches the scalp) or diluted moisturizing conditioner and water (1:4). I also wash my hair once every two weeks with diluted shampoo and conditioner.

5. Keeping the hair moisturized will help curb breakage

6. I leave out very little out just enough to cover the tracks but I also had full head weaves with no hair out.

Braid pattern-my stylist braids straight back and sewing the ends to the sides.

glamazon386

so, who are the sew in experts on the board? Ediese, Rabia Elaine, Nichi

why do sew ins work for you? as opposed to other protective styling options? My hair gets frizzy in braids after about a month. I don't like twists on my fine hair.
how long do you wear them for? 8-12 weeks
what kind of hair do you use? Depends on the style but it has to be at least Remy
how do you take care of your hair while wearing a sew in? Wash and DC once a week
how do you avoid breakage? Don't have it braided or sew in too tight
how much hair do you leave out? Depends on the style. Sometimes I leave my hair out around the perimeter and others I don't leave any hair out at all.

yasluvsme

Weaves allow me to have alternate styling options that I wouldn't necessarily have with another ps.
I usually wear mine for 1-2 months before removing.
I only use Indian Remy hair now. I used to use BSS hair back in the day. but it's a waste of money imo. Currently on my 4th install using the same hair.
Wash every 2 weeks, moisturize whenever needed.
Make sure that the braids are not too tight and making sure to keep my hair moisturized.
It depends on the hair and style, currently I have top and perimeter out, I have done full head

HTH!

LivingDol1

^^^^ does having the top and perimeter out include having the bottom out at the nape? or does that get braided up usually?

i'm thinking if i get a weave, i'd want to keep out some hair at the nap b/c if i want to wear a low pony, that would make it possible to look more natural. right?

i'm worried about the left out hair being damaged. i got a partial weave years ago (5 tracks with hair left out in between each track) and i had so much breakage!

EbonyCPrincess

Thank you so much for posting this, OP and for all the responses. My "thank" button is not showing right now, but I am currently researching the same things. My last sew in was before my HHJ so I truly appreciate all this info.

glamazon386

^^^^ does having the top and perimeter out include having the bottom out at the nape? or does that get braided up usually?

i'm thinking if i get a weave, i'd want to keep out some hair at the nap b/c if i want to wear a low pony, that would make it possible to look more natural. right?

i'm worried about the left out hair being damaged. i got a partial weave years ago (5 tracks with hair left out in between each track) and i had so much breakage!

If you leave hair out on the top, then it's just that. Some people leave hair out along the edges too.

The perimeter includes the nape. It's hair out on all sides. You can put a little braid or twist in the back when you're not using your hair for a pony. Nobody will be able to see it. That will keep it from breaking off.

In my experience, you don't really need any hair out in the back to wear a low pony though. The weave hair should cover your nape. I usually leave hair out around the perimeter so I can wear a high/middle bun.