Pros and Cons of a Sew-In Please?!

SimpleKomplexity

I've been thinking that if I ever want to get to APL....I need to wear some protective styles, but I hate bunning. I'm thinking of braaiding my hair except the edges and getting weave.

This are my questions:
What are the pros of getting a sewin?
What are the cons of getting and sew-in?
Has anyone had any substantial growth while using sew-ins
What are some good regimens to make sure my hair underneath stays moisturized?

Nita81

Pros...low mani, growth. Cons....price for quality hair and sew-in.
I grew my hair from 2-3 inches to SL in 1 1/2yrs with sew-ins. I kept my hair moisturized with weekly washings with diluted poo/CON. I used several different water based leave-ins and oils to protect my hair in between washes.

RegaLady

THe Pros:they are corn rowed in braids, so your hair is not bothered. They look great when styled, like your natural hair, and they are good protective styles
The Cons: they are a little harder to wash, but you can just use a spray or something. The hair can be expensive. You have to really 'reach' to moisturize, in between the hair. But hey, that is what you would have to do with braids.

I have a sister who's hair grew a lot in 1.5 years. I am planning to wear this style for a while, as well. Believe me, I am taking care of my hair underneath it, DC and all. I put oil on my scalp, and message daily. I DC when I wash. I am able to use nape and edge oil around my edges,just to keep my edges from getting stressed.

I like sew-ins a lot. You just have to take care of them, like any other PS!:grin:

Mystic

I've been thinking that if I ever want to get to APL....I need to wear some protective styles, but I hate bunning. I'm thinking of braaiding my hair except the edges and getting weave.

This are my questions:
It lets you forget about your hair for while, giving it a break to grow without stressing about growth; less work, low maintenance

cost, constant scratching of the scalp, fear that if you wash it the hair might lump up and you have to take it out too soon; the braided tracks get lose quickly so it requires tightening which might cost money. My biggest con is, every time I take the weave out, I end up damaging my hair so it always sets me back an inch or two. I use scissors to cut the thread to take the track off, and sometimes inadvertently cut my own hair.

Has anyone had any substantial growth while using sew-ins
The same growth as normal but because it wasn't visible for a while, when you take the weave out, you feel pleased because the growth is evident.

What are some good regimens to make sure my hair underneath stays moisturized?
Oil the scalp, wash with diluted shampoo once per week, be gently with the false hair (treat it like it's your own to prolong the life of the weave).

phyl73

I just had my weave taken out this morning.

Pro: Low main
good growth

Con: Lots of shed hairs

I'm getting it again in June. I got an inch of growth by using a weave and with my mn.

DMJ's Mom

This might be a stupid question but please bear with me because I've never had any kind of weave....how do you get to your own hair and scalp to moisturize it when the false hair is sewn in over it? Could you just use a glycerin/water mix to spray both the weave and your hair to moisturize it? :perplexed

RegaLady

This might be a stupid question but please bear with me because I've never had any kind of weave....how do you get to your own hair and scalp to moisturize it when the false hair is sewn in over it? Could you just use a glycerin/water mix to spray both the weave and your hair to moisturize it? :perplexed
I just apply moisterizing lotion(ORS Olive oil) between the tracts, on my hair,and around the braids. I have to admit it is time consuming. It probably is like moisterizing cornrows, or individual braids.:grin:

glamazon386

I'm an avid weave wearer. They've worked well for me.

What are the pros of getting a sewin? Low manipulation and protective styling

What are the cons of getting and sew-in? You have to be careful that it's not too tight, that you take care of your hair underneath while it's in and you have to be careful taking it out. If you don't keep with your regimen while it's in or leave it in too long your hair could mat. Also they can be expensive.

Has anyone had any substantial growth while using sew-ins? I grew my hair out in high school with them. I also did other protective styles when I wasn't in my weave. I've maintained most of my growth as a natural with them.

What are some good regimens to make sure my hair underneath stays moisturized? I treat my hair the same way while it's in the weave as I do when it's out. I still wash and DC once a week. And I spray braid spray on the braids to add moisture.

bluediamond0829

This are my questions:
What are the pros of getting a sewin? great growth, give ur hair a break, low maintenance. I just started really liking to wear weaves i guess because its alot better at times than wearing braids and wigs. And plus ive just started finally finding people that can at least do sewins good.

What are the cons of getting and sew-in? i always worry about the thread and how tight the person is braiding my hair. Have to be careful when removing weaves.

Has anyone had any substantial growth while using sew-ins? I think i have and its great for protection. One person i know that has gotten great growth is Reneice. I love looking at her album for inspiration.

What are some good regimens to make sure my hair underneath stays moisturized? Well i usually just cowash and rinse my hair thru but ive been getting lazy with it lately. And then i always use liquid based growth aides with applicators to get to my hair underneath. No oily ones too heavy.

chickory_bee

I have one in now...

Pros:
You have the 'hair' look with your actual hair protected
you can access your scalp (in most areas) a lot more quickly than individuals (to explain this, I put my msm/mn mixture on the scalp between each track till I get to the closure piece where I use a dropper to insert the mixture then PAT it till it soaks in:perplexed)

Cons: Some people's scalp itches (I do acv rinses and that eliminates this prob)
my edges don't really like to be cornrowed
My SO hates weaves...
People ask me why go natural if I'm going to be weaved up?

classi123

This are my questions:
Low mani, helps retain length
Some ppl complain abt washing! Price of getting them
Has anyone had any substantial growth while using sew-ins? Yea I went from NL to almost APL (see pic) from weaves, I LOVE THEM. I think the key is taking good care of your hair...
What are some good regimens to make sure my hair underneath stays moisturized? I oiled and moisturized every 2 days, I also applied leave in condish. I wash n set every week or 2 weeks depending on how long it last, and I kept my weave in for 2 months. My friend grew her hair to mid back wearing weaves, and she still wear them until she gets longer!!
I think it will be the best thing for you if u dont like bunning, I dont like bunning either I am putting back my weave in end of this month...

SimpleKomplexity

I'm an avid weave wearer. They've worked well for me.

What are the pros of getting a sewin? Low manipulation and protective styling

What are the cons of getting and sew-in? You have to be careful that it's not too tight, that you take care of your hair underneath while it's in and you have to be careful taking it out. If you don't keep with your regimen while it's in or leave it in too long your hair could mat. Also they can be expensive.

Has anyone had any substantial growth while using sew-ins? I grew my hair out in high school with them. I also did other protective styles when I wasn't in my weave. I've maintained most of my growth as a natural with them.

What are some good regimens to make sure my hair underneath stays moisturized? I treat my hair the same way while it's in the weave as I do when it's out. I still wash and DC once a week. And I spray braid spray on the braids to add moisture.

Do you think SCurl will keep my hair moisturized?