Naturals or transitioners who get sew-in weaves

Stiletto_Diva

I've been transitioning for about 6 months now and i'm tired of the same protective buns that work for me. for the summer i was thinking about getting a sew-in weave to help my transition. my question is how do you do it.

do you straighten the hair first and then get the sew in?
do you use a net?
how long should i keep it in?
How do i wash it?

Any other advice you have to offer is appreciated.

Thanks ya'll

bLackButtaFly

I bunned mine first to stretch it and then straightened it w/ my maxiglide and then had the sew in installed.

I'm not reccommending this method to anyone since I just got it put in a week ago and am not sure how my hair will react, but I wanted to let you know what my process was. HTH!

brownsugarbaby

I'm at the same place as the OP. But i've pretty much made up my mind that I am getting a sew-in for the summer months. I plan to do a clarify, aphogee, straighten, moisturize and sew - in. But I too would like to know the answer of those questions.

RegaLady

I have a sew in and it is doing good, thus far.
do you straighten the hair first and then get the sew in? I leave my hair that will be unseen, natural and not straithtened. The hair that will be seen needs to blnd with the other hair.
do you use a net? I do not use a net because I want to be able to take care of my hair, and oil the scalp, etc..
how long should i keep it in? I have heard no longer than 8 weeks
How do i wash it? I just wask it like any other braids or so. But, it can losen up the track. There are also braid shampoo that you just spray along the tracks and braids.

sweetwhispers

I've been transitioning for about 6 months now and i'm tired of the same protective buns that work for me. for the summer i was thinking about getting a sew-in weave to help my transition. my question is how do you do it.

do you use a net?
How do i wash it?

Any other advice you have to offer is appreciated.

Thanks ya'll

No i didn't/don't straighten my hair, i banded it to stretch it out. Thats it.

I didn't/don't use a net

I kept my weave in for a month. Most peopel say 6-8 weeks

I washed my hair when i washed the weave i dunno how to describe it. I co washed i just saturated my hair with water. Remember to dry your hair well, cos i've heard that people can get mildew( i didn't know that was possible nut prob more so for the 5 month weave brigade)

I sprayed moisturiser between my braids that i mix up. *( just water/glycerine)

Miosy

do you straighten the hair first and then get the sew in? I did not straighted it 100% but I did pass the flat iron gentle so that it would be easier to braid. But remember your hair is more fragile straight so if it's someone with rough hands doing your conrows, I recommend you leave it as is cause they will cause unecessary breakage

do you use a net? Nope, just synthetic hair to support my conrows

how long should i keep it in? Longest I kept mine is 7 weeks without breakage but a lot of shedding because it was 7 weeks worth.

How do i wash it?
  • I washed weekly by running my entire head under warm water in the shower
    [*]I then diluted shampoo and rinse 2X
    [*]I drenched the hair in conditioner for about 3-5 minutes and rinsed
    [*]I always did a AVC rinse
    [*]Then I dried my hair about 80% under medium heat under the dryer
*I never pulled on the hair at all :yawn:

Last edited:
I just want to add...be careful with straightening all your hair before getting your sew in. I would only straighten the parts that will be left out. Once you wash your hair, the water might cause the straightened parts to revert while braided and under the weave and this doesn't feel too pleasant.:rolleyes: Also it could cause breakage since the hair is reverting around the thread. Don't know any other way to explain it, but I used to get weaves when I was natural for the first time almost 8 years ago and this was my experience.

Jessica Rabbit

If you want to do anything before you braid your hair, blow dry that portion. Leave the exposed part alone in a braid until you are ready to style it.

ebzonix

What hair do you ladies use when you do your sew ins?
And do you use curly hair? I would like to try a weave for prom and just to take a break from doing my own hair. Do you ladies know where I can get this type of hair, for this look?

Last edited:

remnant

No

do you use a net?
No I don't.

I keep mines no more than 5 weeks

How do i wash it?
I generally cowash it gently
I put the diluted (1/3 water and 2/3 conditionner) conditionner between every row and gently massage my scalp.

Any other advice you have to offer is appreciated:
I'm very gentle when styling/washing/rinsing my weave (and my hair underneath) that is very important for your hair
I dc and cowash once a week
I moisturise and seal my hair 2/3 times a week

Thanks ya'll[/quote]

glamazon386

do you straighten the hair first and then get the sew in? No.

do you use a net? No.

how long should i keep it in? I'd say no longer than 6-8 weeks.

How do i wash it? In the shower.

do you straighten the hair first and then get the sew in? I did not straighted it 100% but I did pass the flat iron gentle so that it would be easier to braid. But remember your hair is more fragile straight so if it's someone with rough hands doing your conrows, I recommend you leave it as is cause they will cause unecessary breakage

how long should i keep it in? Longest I kept mine is 7 weeks without breakage but a lot of shedding because it was 7 weeks worth.

How do i wash it?
:notworthy thanks that was very helpful!

How do i wash it?

Question, my hair has suffered mega damage, do you think it partially due to me not using any hair other than my own for the cornrows? My weaver is a tight braider ( she's gotten much much better) but I noticed you use synthetic hair to support your braids; what happens if you don't?

MrsAriannaAmbers

I know this is an older thread but would like to get more answers if possible on this since I am thinking about doing a sew-in as my hair is two different lengths because of a haircut/style I did back in August and I don't want to cut my hair just yet!!!

bride91501

I just took my sew-in down tonight (had it in for 6 1/2 weeks), but I've lived in weaves for 1/2 my life lol. See below for my answers:

do you straighten the hair first and then get the sew in?My hairdresser normally blow drys my hair to get it straighter. It makes parting and cornrowing easier.

do you use a net?
I started using a net about 6 months ago, because i noticed it gave the weave more hold. However, with this last weave (which was my first since my BC and LHHJ) I noticed that the partial cap my stylist installed made it difficult to moisturize my scalp and braids in that part of my head.

I'm in the weave challenge, so I'll be keeping my weaves in for 6-8 weeks with a 1-2 week break in between installs.

How do i wash it?
Again, there are lots of tips for this in the weave challenge. The one I use (which is the BEST advice I've gotten since joining LHCF), is to put all of your condish, poo, etc. in spray bottles and dilute them with water and apply to your scalp, braids or hair that way).

HTH.

lexiwiththecurls

I blow dry my hair out but I dont straighten it.
I have never used a net before.
You shouldnt keep it in any longer than 2 months...I usually am struggling to keep mine in a month because I get tired of it.
Washing..you can use a bottle with a nozzle and mix shampoo and water to cleanse your scalp.

sithembile

do you straighten the hair first and then get the sew in? No. I just detangle and blow dry (without brushing)

do you use a net? I did once and I hated it because I could reach my scalp / the tracks. I didn't the next time and it was so much easier.

how long should i keep it in? No more than 8 weeks.

How do i wash it? I washed it every 10 days, with diluted shampoo and diluted conditioner. I sprayed my tracks every 2 days either with Africa's best braid conditioning spray or with my homemade water/glycerin/jojoba oil/rosemary eo and peppermint eo mix.

Smiley79

Reving the thread....

Are any of you that did a sew-in while natural using straight hair? What type of hair did you use? have any pics? :)

virtuenow

buzump! No one answerd the question about whether you should add weave to your cornrows. Is this a better option, i.e., less damaging?

beana

I'm very low maintenance with my weaves. Before my install I wash and blow dry. When I'm braiding, I add a dab of moisturizer to each braid. Then I use a closed topnet wig cap and sew in my tracks. When I'm done, I flat iron both my leave out and the weave. I use kinky straight hair so I can skip the flat ironing if I want to.
I wash and deep condition every 10-14 days and do not moisturizer or add anything to my hair underneath in bw wash days ( i find that it makes the hair mat up)
I'm 11 months post with mostly 4b hair.
Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

glamazon386

buzump! No one answerd the question about whether you should add weave to your cornrows. Is this a better option, i.e., less damaging?

It'll help the weave last longer. If you use a net, you don't need the extra hair though. It'll also help if you have fine hair or sparse areas or if your hair is too short to really braid. I have a short patch in the back where they used to add extra hair to just that little part to help it stay in the braid.

They used to use the added hair on my hair when it was relaxed but as a natural they rarely do. I think it'll make my hair too bulky now. I don't use it when I do my weave at home. I find it makes my scalp itchy. You also have to be careful to not the added hair dry out your hair.