Sew-in Challenge 2014-2015 (6 months or 9 months)

My scalp has finally stopped feeling like it's on fire! I noticed this a few days ago. I still get itchies here and there but nothing compared to the torture of just last week. I don't think I can credit my use of my castor oil, olive oil, and tea tree oil (a few drops) mix as the reason because I only put that around the perimeters of my scalp since since getting to the rest of my scalp was rendered nearly impossible with the net underneath the weave.

Anywho, I did some research and found out that the net was actually the culprit of my unfortunate suffering. For many people, when it touches the scalp, they get severe itchies. I guess the net has loosened somewhat from my hair growing out, or from the humidity puffing up the braids underneath (and thus the puffed-up braids acted as a protective barrier between the scalp and net), or perhaps the tension from me combing/brushing the weave. Also, it's now much easier than before to access my scalp because the sew-in is no longer tightly press against my head. I feared washing my hair due to difficulty of accessing my scalp, but now I look forward to my first wash with this sew-in. Yay! I think I can keep this sew-in for the full 8-10 weeks I originally aimed for. :)

ezina it's funny you mention the net as the culprit because I feel like the thread is the culprit of my itchies! So I'm hoping washing makes mine itch less too because it'll loosen up the thread some.

Can y'all tell I'm excited to wash? Lol

Question for you ladies that wear your sew ins for 12-14 weeks, especially for those texlaxed or relaxed...Do you do a protein conditioner the initial wash? I have soo much new growth and my hair is course. confused and dry and I usually do a good clarifying wash and moisturizing conditioner.

FemmeFatale, I am natural, but I hope this helps. I keep my sew ins for 12 weeks. When I take it down, I prepoo with an oil to soften my hair. I wash first with a moisturizing shampoo, then I clarify. I do a protein treatment (Dudley DRC) and follow with a moisturizing DC. I usually get a new sew in the next day.

FemmeFatale, I am natural, but I hope this helps. I keep my sew ins for 12 weeks. When I take it down, I prepoo with an oil to soften my hair. I wash first with a moisturizing shampoo, then I clarify. I do a protein treatment (Dudley DRC) and follow with a moisturizing DC. I usually get a new sew in the next day.

Thanks! I'm worried about how my hair will react to the protein treatment with two different textures going on..I use Joico K Pak

Washed my hair.

Why do my braids take FOREVER to dry?!

Oh and be careful when just oiling your scalp. Of course my oil has peppermint EO in it (along with tea tree and rosemary... But a healthy dose of peppermint)... And of course it dropped onto my face... Into my right eye! Ohemgee LMBO! I was like... This ain't right! So I had to stop diffusing, wash out my eyeball and then continue the whole hair drying/braids drying process. I was under my bonnet dryer (after diffusing) for a good 45 minutes on high hear, high speed...

I still think my hair is damp -_____-

Took my weave out it was a mess. The hair and the weave itself. I had Brazilian curly from Hairareus installed and it was just tragic. The hairstylist which I'll never go to EVER again just had tracks showing and it was just all wrong. There goes me ever trying to wear curly hair EVER again after that fail. I had it in for 2 weeks. I hate I wasted money but I wasn't happy.

I found someone else and her weaves look VERY natural. I brought some Indian wavy hair. I will get it put in on Saturday!! I want to keep it in at least until December.

Guess I'll make a contribution... Hopefully I'm APL after this weave or by the end of the year.

Curly sew-in (installed by me) #Idothis! :grin:
Only an inch of my hair out across the front perimeter. Installed using the flip-over method.

I've had it in approx. 5 weeks. It's coming down in a few days to give my hair a rest before my relaxer and trim ( Sept.28th) Cutting hair for the fall equinox

Excuse the mirror...

Attachments

• curly summer 2014.jpg
    curly summer 2014.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 149
Guess I'll make a contribution... Hopefully I'm APL after this weave or by the end of the year.

Curly sew-in (installed by me) #Idothis! :grin:
Only an inch of my hair out across the front perimeter. Installed using the flip-over method.

I've had it in approx. 5 weeks. It's coming down in a few days to give my hair a rest before my relaxer and trim ( Sept.28th) Cutting hair for the fall equinox

Excuse the mirror...

You look beautiful. What's the specs on the hair please and thanks!

ezina it's funny you mention the net as the culprit because I feel like the thread is the culprit of my itchies! So I'm hoping washing makes mine itch less too because it'll loosen up the thread some.

Can y'all tell I'm excited to wash? Lol

Hmmm...the thread is another big possibility. Whatever it is, I thank the hair gods it stopped!

Checking in...

I took out my install, clarified, and did a really good deep conditioning on my hair.

I am getting my hair installed this evening. I'm going to finally try Coarse Yaki hair from Kinkycurlyyaki.com; we'll see how that goes.

My hair felt really dry after this install; I'm going to try and moisturize it a little bit better this time around. After this coming install, I will go to a salon to get my hair steam treated and trimmed and then I'll proceed with another sew in thereafter. I loved that kinky curly hair so much that I might revisit that one again!

I got a new install 2 days ago. Its Mercys Mongolian Kinky Curly. I LOOOVE it. I'm natural and my previous 2 installs were malaysian and remy curly both with closures. I have a U shaped leave out and its blends amazingly. I don't plan on going back to straight weaves for a while.
In other news I hate getting new installs, I always feel like I have the flu for the next couple of days with the facial pressure, headaches, etc.

I got a new install 2 days ago. Its Mercys Mongolian Kinky Curly. I LOOOVE it. I'm natural and my previous 2 installs were malaysian and remy curly both with closures. I have a U shaped leave out and its blends amazingly. I don't plan on going back to straight weaves for a while.
In other news I hate getting new installs, I always feel like I have the flu for the next couple of days with the facial pressure, headaches, etc.

This hair is amazing. I bought this hair for my daughter back in June and I installed it in July and it's beautiful. We just took it out like 2 weeks ago.

Yes girl! I think Mongolian Kinky Curly hair is a natural-hair girl's dream!!! I felt the same way that I really didn't want to go back to straight hair again, lol. Soon as I finish using up my straight extensions, I'm hopping right back to the curly hair! And it wasn't as high maintenance as I thought it was going to me.

I made a month in my sew in on the 16th!!!
1 month down 2 to go. This is new for me.
Back in my weave wearing days, I'd usually reach week 6 and i'm ready for the takedown.

Yesterday I washed and DC.

Soooooo

I had to take down my hair earlier than planned. I had a horrible allergic reaction to something I ate and I need full access to my hair/scalp to treat myself.

I kept thinking it was the weather, but nope. Anyway, I'll be back in the game in about 2 weeks after my next appt.

Hey everyone!!
Okay whoa. Life has really kept me way too busy to be concerned with my hair. I used to struggle to get to five weeks.
I'm approaching week 8 now, and I'm still going strong. I was going to get it tightened up and go for another month. I think instead I will take it down at week 10, take a week off to DC and give my hair TLC, then reinstall.

Anyone getting new cute styles for fall?
I think I may cut this hair into a bob and get slight ombré on the ends. I'm bored with my hair!

Anyone getting new cute styles for fall? I think I may cut this hair into a bob and get slight ombré on the ends. I'm bored with my hair!

I've been thinking of if I want to... Partially because what if next summer I want long curls again? Then I've cut my hair and would need to buy new hair lol. I feel like I've spent too much on hair now anyway! So yeah... I might cut my straight weave into a bob if I get that one installed again sometime soon.

Color is a good idea though since I don't want to color my own.

I've been thinking of if I want to... Partially because what if next summer I want long curls again? Then I've cut my hair and would need to buy new hair lol. I feel like I've spent too much on hair now anyway! So yeah... I might cut my straight weave into a bob if I get that one installed again sometime soon. Color is a good idea though since I don't want to color my own.
Yes, I have the same dilemma!!!
I'm also debating whether this hair would make a sleek enough bob for me. I need it to be sleek. This hair has never been sleek after the first wash from the salon lol. I am just too lazy to get it straight.

I made an appointment to have my hair taken down on October 21st. May leave my hair out for 2 to 3 weeks. I can't decide. Then will put it back up for the winter months. Maybe a full I can't decide.

Question: how quickly do your anchor braids normally become loose?

I feel like this braid in the back is so loose already, but I don't think it's really because of growth because the rest of my braids aren't loose yet. Granted, hair grows different speeds in different places, but yeah... About when so your braids feel loose?

ImanAdero when I install myself I can go two weeks before it loosens but im not a braider but the girl u was doing mine did a awesome job. My hair didn't loosen til about week 6. Its prbly the foundation. Do u have fine or silky hair around ur edges?

ImanAdero when I install myself I can go two weeks before it loosens but im not a braider but the girl u was doing mine did a awesome job. My hair didn't loosen til about week 6. Its prbly the foundation. Do u have fine or silky hair around ur edges?

My hair IS finer in my nape than other areas. I guess I'm just surprised because the same girl braided it as the last time I had a weave, so I didn't think it would become loosened so soon.

On another note. No way in HAYLE in lasting 12 weeks in this weave lol. So I'm cutting back to 10. Heck, maybe even 8.

3 weeks down and already counting :-(

My hair IS finer in my nape than other areas. I guess I'm just surprised because the same girl braided it as the last time I had a weave, so I didn't think it would become loosened so soon.

On another note. No way in HAYLE in lasting 12 weeks in this weave lol. So I'm cutting back to 10. Heck, maybe even 8.

3 weeks down and already counting :-(

I would ask her to tighten the loose areas up. Idk know how u feel about doing that tho. I would worry about the nape too much if u dont wear ur hair up.

Oay ladies, I'm back in the challenge. I installed my sew in on 9/18.
:grin:
Because my edges are under construction, I did not end up doing the closure install. My stylist left a generous amount of my perimeter out so I can babysit them and take care of them daily. We'll see how it goes. I did install Coarse Yaki hair from KCY...this is my first time trying coarse yaki hair. THis will minimize the need for me to flat iron my leave out often.

Attachments

• 20140925_084142.jpg
    20140925_084142.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 20140925_083810.jpg
    20140925_083810.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 20140924_085824.jpg
    20140924_085824.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 20140925_083724.jpg
    20140925_083724.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20140922_135520.jpg
    20140922_135520.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 76
Oay ladies, I'm back in the challenge. I installed my sew in on 9/18.
:grin:
Because my edges are under construction, I did not end up doing the closure install. My stylist left a generous amount of my perimeter out so I can babysit them and take care of them daily. We'll see how it goes. I did install Coarse Yaki hair from KCY...this is my first time trying coarse yaki hair. THis will minimize the need for me to flat iron my leave out often.

Looks really nice and I love the texture. Yes this will help you with your edges and baby them back to health.

I want to join the party :grin:!

Current length or starting pic:

Picture attached. After the trim my bangs measure 15 inches and my crown is 17 inches.

Challenge goal:

4 inches

Length of time commitment: (3 months, 6 months, 9 months)

9 months.. but I'm actually weaving for a full year.

Weave style/install hair:

Senghori Shells Natural Rhythms 1B/ 18 inches. Installed 9/13/2014.

Weave regimen:

Moisturize 3x a week
Shampoo and Deep Condition every 2 weeks
Flat iron leave out after each wash... no touch ups between washes
Take Down at 8 weeks
Re-install a week later

Your top weave tip: (any insights you want to share if you've successfully retained length with weaves in the past)

Don't have the anchor braids done too tightly
Take your time during takedown (you don't want to lose all of your progress at the end of the install)
Don't neglect your own hair... continue to mositurize, shampoo and condition.

Attachments

• 20140913_152846-2.jpg
    20140913_152846-2.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 20140913_154316-1-1.jpg
    20140913_154316-1-1.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 20140923_124643.jpg
    20140923_124643.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20140924_113342.jpg
    20140924_113342.jpg