HOTs, Oil Rinses, Scalp Oiling, End Sealing Challenge Feb 1, 2011 - April 30, 2011

Re: HOTs, Oil Rinses, Scalp Oiling, End Sealing Challenge Feb 1, 2011 - April 30, 201

Oh, I forgot I have some One n Only Argan Oil. What's the best use for that? That stuff is too pricey for me to oil rinse with.

When I used it, I just used a coupla' drops to seal my L-I before getting under the dryer.

Alot of Ladies also use it to Flat-Iron with.

I now use Pure Argan.:yep:

Re: HOTs, Oil Rinses, Scalp Oiling, End Sealing Challenge Feb 1, 2011 - April 30, 201

I did a HOT yesterday with my HOT mix on dry hair for like 45min with my heat cap. I have 1 use of this mix left then I'm gong to mix up something new.

Charz- I tend to use 1-2oz of oil on my hair. I like to be able to feel and see it without it dripping.

I' just finished one with EVCO under my Mastex Heat Cap.

Remember Ladies:

Coconut
Olive
Avocado

Are the 3 Oils that can successfully penetrate the cortex of the hair.

doing my first HOT

mixture of olive and hemp oils. (3 tbs each)
sat oils in warm water then applied over my twists, sitting with my heating cap on for 30 mins.

Im feeling lazy to wash my hair now so I;ll prolly keep this on till later when I hope I'll feel less lazy

Weekly oil rinses for me--Castor oil only baby! I may up it to 3x week.

I'm in! I will be using:
-Avocado Oil
-Grapeseed Oil
-Castor Oil
-Amla Oil
-Curls Oil
-Shea Moisture Reconstructive Elixir
-JBCO

I do HOT and baggy overnight with my oils. Trying to use them up. Once I'm done with these, I will only repurchase Amla and grapeseed oil.
oh, I use Jane carter Scalp nourishing serum, and Red Pimento on my scalp.

For those of You using Red Pimento Oil: How Are You Using It?:grin:

oiled my ends and scalp with JBCO

I don't feel like doing a HOT tonight so I just put on this new ceramide mix I made earlier. I had some JBCO and mixed it with Hemp seed, Kukui, and Safflower. I seal with this sometimes, too. Makes my hair soooo shiny. Anyway, I coated my hair with this and I'll leave it til I wash.

I'm in! I will be using:
-Avocado Oil
-Grapeseed Oil
-Castor Oil
-Amla Oil
-Curls Oil
-Shea Moisture Reconstructive Elixir
-JBCO

I do HOT and baggy overnight with my oils. Trying to use them up. Once I'm done with these, I will only repurchase Amla and grapeseed oil.
oh, I use Jane carter Scalp nourishing serum, and Red Pimento on my scalp.

I forgot to add this to my list. I love this oil mix. :yep: :lick:

Doing a HOT overnight with Amla oil. This oil always leaves my hair super soft.

Doing a HOT overnight with Amla oil. This oil always leaves my hair super soft.

what brand amla oil do you use. I have the dabur which doesnt work well for me, and I realised its prolly because of the mineral oil :sad:

I may make some homemade amla oil by steeping poweder in coconut oil... just need to do some research.

I'm in. I'll be using EVOO and EVCO mostly. I also have Amla and Jasmine.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I'm in!

I'll be using coconut, olive, and castor oils as these are what I have on hand.

I have some random hot oil DCing treatments that I'll be using (Vo5 & Smooth N Shine Silk Fusion Roots N' Ends Repair Oil)

I'd really love to go to a local market and see what sorts of oils they have but that's going to have to wait. :sad:

Welcome Everyone.:hiya:

I am lovin' these HOTS.:drool:

If anyone comes across some interesting Research on the Topics of: Hots, Oil Rinses, Ends Sealing or Scalp Massages with Oil(s) Don't forget to post them.:yep:

hola ladies, I am in.
Hot Oil Treatment: Coconut Oil
Sealing: JBCO

yaaayyy finally found a Sally's this weekend and got my African Pride Olive Miracle Anti-Breakage formula Growth Oil! The ingredients are Soybean Oil, Olive Fruit Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Grapeseed oil, Avocado oil, Flax seed oil, etc with some proteins :)

what brand amla oil do you use. I have the dabur which doesnt work well for me, and I realised its prolly because of the mineral oil :sad:

I may make some homemade amla oil by steeping poweder in coconut oil... just need to do some research.

I use this Amla Oil | Vadik Herbs Amla Hair Oil | Amla Oil for Hair | Hair Oils
I used the Dabur one too, but this one works better. When I wake up in the morning, my hair has absorbed most of the oil.

HOTs'n my hair right now with Africa's Best Herbal oil. I wasnt planning on washing my hair til tomorrow but that's what happens when you visit smokers :(

ETA: decided to wet wrap and seal with African Pride Growth Oil. My hair feels and smells pretty nice :)

Last edited:

I use coconut, jojoba, walnut and olive oils for prewashing and end moisturizing. Coconut is my favorite. I have a scalp oil from Hairobics I use every other night and it has peppermint and some other essential oils in it.

doing my first HOT

mixture of olive and hemp oils. (3 tbs each)
sat oils in warm water then applied over my twists, sitting with my heating cap on for 30 mins.

Im feeling lazy to wash my hair now so I;ll prolly keep this on till later when I hope I'll feel less lazy

update on my first HOT

I thinkits gonna be a staple step in my reggi:yep: because:
  1. it most definitely boosts moisture retention (my hair is springy and spongy)
  2. my hair actually feels silky-ish thats a feat in itself :lol:
I have a question though, do the oils have to be heated before applying to the hair or can they be applied then heated ie: by heating cap or steamer?

found a couple articles on how to prepare amla oil on e-how (not the best source IMO, but that all Ive found so far)

How to Prepare Amla Oil | eHow.com

How to Make Homemade Amla Oil | eHow.com

The suggested amounts of powder added to oil (seems as if coconut and almond are the most reccommended) varies, but the process seems to be standard.

here is some info from one of a fotki i used to stan when I was relaxed hehe:blush:

Photo: Homemade Amla Oil | Ayurvedic Regimen--simplified! album | Kittikat24 | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

if u dont want to visit fotki, here's the info

Homemade Amla Oil I made my own Amla oil!! Here's the recipe:
1/3 cup Castor Oil
1/3 cup Jojoba Oil
1/3 cup Vatika Oil
1 TBsp Amla Powder
2 tsp Maka (Bhringraj) Powder
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Mix all ingredients in a jar/container
Seal tightly with lid
Keep in a dark, cool area for 2 weeks
Shake jar every 2 days
Strain and put into applicator bottle.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I've been oiling my scalp/NG every night for 2 days so far, and my hair feels SO soft and hydrated! My curls/waves are more defined, and I think I'm getting some growth:) The smell is "wood-sy" like Vatika oil, but I also added some rosemary & tea tree oil for kicks! :p

been oiling my scalp w/pomegranate, tamanu and astaxanthin oils in prep for my relaxer. Also oiling w/castor & cinnamon oils every other day.

will do a HOT w/Red Palm tomorrow

This is such a great idea! I suck at challenges but will be lurking the thread and cheering y'all on from the sidelines. Happy Hair Growing!

update on my first HOT

I have a question though, do the oils have to be heated before applying to the hair or can they be applied then heated ie: by heating cap or steamer?

Either way is fine. I do the second way. Most times I just do the plastic cap for a few hours.

Just checking in!

I'm in cornrows and my ends were getting super crispy or "friend chicken like". So last night I re-wet them with a little water. and then applied my leave-in (CHI keratin mist) and sealed with sally's argan oil

WINNER WINNER WINNER! i oil-rinsed last night with Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil with Ginseng,washed and conditioned with HE LTR, sealed on soaking wet hair with African Pride Olive Miracle Growth Oil and wet wrapped. After a quick light blow dry this morning my hair is moisturized smooth and healthy feeling and looking-and it rained all day today!!! i feel great lol glad i found some staples :))

ETA: I didnt oil rinse but HOT'd but still good :grin: i will probably oil rinse before cowashes though..

Last edited:

I turn my heat cap on (High) and by the time I apply my Oil & Plastic Cap the Heat Cap is ready and the oil heats up nicely.:yep:

I am new to LHCF and I would like to join this please. Yesterday I ordered some castor oil and I also have the Hot Six Oil, coconut oil and olive oil. I will use these interchangeably. Also what exactly is an oil rinse if you don't mind me asking?

Back