HOTs, Oil Rinses, Scalp Oiling, End Sealing Challenge Feb 1, 2011 - April 30, 2011

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
:cold: :cold: :cold:

Hey Ladies....I'm looking for some of you Lovely Ladies to Sign Up for the HOTs (Hot Oil Treatment), Oil Rinsing and Scalp Oiling Challenge Feb/April.

I have alot of Oils I am attempting to use up and basically started to incorporate Hot Oil Treatments into my Weekly Regimen.

I've also talked to several ladies that would also like to use up some of their Miscellaneous Oils through either Hot Oil Treatments, Oil Rinses or just Oiling their Scalp to Combat Cold & Dry Weather.

All you have to do is Respond to this Post that you're interested. Post what Oil(s) you'll be using and also what Method OR Variety of Methods you will incorporate. Also, how many times a week.

If you find any beneficial Articles about Hot Oil Treatments, Oil Rinses or Scalp Oiling, You can post it here too. As well as any Recipes for great HOT Sessions.

Okay....Who's going to Join Me? I have a couple Articles on HOTs I will come back and Post in this Thread.

I'll be doing HOTs = Hot Oil Treatments under my Mastex Heat Cap Weekly

Using:
Coconut
Soybean
Olive *when I get some*
Kukui Nut
Wheat Germ
Burdock Root w/Ceramides

Oiling & Sealing
Cocosta
Avsoya
Hydratherma
JBCO
Rosemary *when I get some*
Speciality Ceramide Mixture

Let's Use Up Some of those Oils just sitting around and Oil our way to Shinier, Healthy Hair.

Just Respond to this Post and tell us What You'll Be Doing & How Often and then Check in from time to time to Stay Motivated

chebaby

Re: HOTs, Oil Rinses, Scalp Oiling, End Sealing Challenge Feb 1, 2011 - April 30, 201

im in.
i will be using coconut oil for the most part but i also use evoo.
and i have a few other oils i use once in a while.
usually what i do is oil my hair at night and then the next day i co wash or shampoo.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Re: HOTs, Oil Rinses, Scalp Oiling, End Sealing Challenge Feb 1, 2011 - April 30, 201

im in.
i will be using coconut oil for the most part but i also use evoo.
and i have a few other oils i use once in a while.
usually what i do is oil my hair at night and then the next day i co wash or shampoo.

Great! I posted an Interesting Article on Coconut & Olive.

I remembered.....I'll also be using Safflower:yep:

destine2grow

Im in! I will be using evoo, evco, grapeseed oil and almond oil! I only do hot oil treatments and oil my scalp.

curlyhersheygirl

I'm in.

Sealing
cocasta oil

Prepoo & HOT
my mix ( coconut,evoo,mustard & hemp)

oil rinse
my mix (jbco,coconut,evoo)

scalp massage
grapeseed with tea tree

Brownie518

I'm in...I'll be back with my lists...

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

Oh Yeah, if Bear Fruit Hair has a Sale (during this Challenge), I may pick up that Avacado Oil Hair Soak and some of the other Oil Soaks they have.:look:

Minty

I got some oils. Let's go. I'm shooting for once a week on dry hair with steam. That might change but that's the plan today.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

I got some oils. Let's go. I'm shooting for once a week on dry hair with steam. That might change but that's the plan today.

Hmp. Never tried this. I might like that right there.:lick:

I may do this method twice a month. Thanks for the tip. 30 in HOTS & 30 with DC'er.

What Oils are you using HFlyGirl?:grin:

LaFemmeNaturelle

Question that I hope isn't stupid. Are hot oil treatments only effective on clean hair? If not then if def join this challenge but I know I would be doing them on week old hair.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

Question that I hope isn't stupid. Are hot oil treatments only effective on clean hair? If not then if def join this challenge but I know I would be doing them on week old hair.

I do mine on week old dry hair. Plastic Cap, Cotton Coil & Heat Cap.:yep:

LaFemmeNaturelle

Ok I'll join. I'll do a hot oil treatment and oil rinses. Want to see if I can get some natural shine going on. I currently seal with whipped Shea butter that has coconut oil, evoo and sunflower oil so I won't be switching that. I'll do my oil rinse with sunflower oil and maybe the hot oil treatment with evoo and coconut oil. Need to use up my castor oil too... I'll fit it in somewhere

SimJam

Im in, will be doing:

HOTs (this will be new for me as Ive nvr done them before) and scalp massages

oils to use up

HOTs
wheat germ
sunflower
hemp seed
olive
coconut
avocado
jojoba
edited to add:
Kemi oyl
palm kernel oil

calendula (marigold) cant quite remember why i got this :ohwell: edited to add: got this to mix with jojoba oil for oil cleasing (face)
rosemary - for scalp massages
vatika - prepoo
amla - pre poo

Last edited:

simplyhair

I'm in. I just started (HOT's) this afternoon by chance before seeing this challenge. I have WAY too many oils I need to get rid of...need to keep it simple.

Forgot, I will do the HOT's once a week on Wednesday's.

Oil for HOT's:

Hemp Seed (will continue use this going forward)
Sunflower
Sweet Almond
Avocado
JBCO
Macadamia
Pumpkin
Kemi Oyl
Proclaim Natural 7 Olive
Proclaim Natural 7 (Original)
BB Growth Oil
Vatika
Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil (may give these jars away to the shelter for women)

Daily Sealing

African Pride Olive Miracle Growth Oil (dumping my beloved Kemi Oyl cuz I love this stuff)

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

I'm in. I just started (HOT's) this afternoon by chance before seeing this challenge. I have WAY too many oils I need to get rid of...need to keep it simple.

Oil for HOT's:

Hemp Seed (will continue use this going forward)
Sunflower
Sweet Almond
Avocado
JBCO
Macadamia
Pumpkin
Kemi Oyl
Proclaim Natural 7 Olive
Proclaim Natural 7 (Original)
BB Growth Oil
Vatika
Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil (may give these jars away to the shelter for women)

Daily Sealing

African Pride Olive Miracle Growth Oil (dumping my beloved Kemi Oyl cuz I love this stuff)

That's quite a List.:grin: Welcome.

Have you decided which ones other than the Hemp You're Keeping?:yep:

btw: Never Heard of Pumpkin Oil? How is it?

natura87

I'm in. I'll be using EVOO, EVCO,VF and whatever else I have lying around. I intend to do it(HOTS) at least once a week and the others sporadically/when I feel the need to.

simplyhair

That's quite a List.:grin: Welcome.

Have you decided which ones other than the Hemp You're Keeping?:yep:

btw: Never Heard of Pumpkin Oil? How is it?

I'm keeping the Hemp Seed and Sunflower. But I think the Hemp Seed may be all that I need. From what I remember, it has a higher level of ceramides than sunflower.

I bought the pumpkin oil from newdirections. I originally bought it for facial & body oil mixtures. But I bought such a big bottle that I need to use it up. I haven't used it yet on my hair. But I will soon find out. :grin:

AlliCat

I'm in!!
Oils I will be using: Jojoba oil, coconut oil, JBCO, sweet almond oil

What I usually do is use a combination of these oils to prepoo/hot oil treatment. Otherwise I use the JBCO alone to do a daily scalp massage and oil my ends.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

I'm keeping the Hemp Seed and Sunflower. But I think the Hemp Seed may be all that I need. From what I remember, it has a higher level of ceramides than sunflower.

I bought the pumpkin oil from newdirections. I originally bought it for facial & body oil mixtures. But I bought such a big bottle that I need to use it up. I haven't used it yet on my hair. But I will soon find out. :grin:

Hemp Seed is Great.:lick: You also had Avocado on your list. I really liked that too, but ran out and never replaced.

Grapeseed was another good oil I ran out of and never replaced.:perplexed

But I want to limit my Oils tremendously and maybe try 1-2 from time to time and not 20:lol: :lol: :lol:

frizzy

I'll do it, this is a great challenge! I do add a good amount of oil to my DC for weekly steaming, but this has inspired me to do a separate HOT after steaming.

I will be using up:

hempseed-meadowfoam-olive oil mix
coconut oil
shea butter (melted)
corn oil
castor oil
melted misc. butters (hemp, avocado, olive, sal, red palm, mango)

Last edited:

simplyhair

I forgot to add that my HOT's will sometimes include 2 tablespoons of conditioner. I found the recipe here

I had a link to an article about HOT's that was posted on LHCF but the link is no longer working. So, I'll copy and paste it here:

Some Like It Hot-A Guide to Hot-Oil Treatments

This winter, keep brittle hair at bay with this simple cure-all.

You follow all of the rules for keeping your hair healthy: regular trims, minimal use of heating appliances, and a good shampoo and conditioner. Yet your hair still goes through periods when it seems totally lackluster or, worse, dry and brittle. And it only gets worse during the cold-weather months. What's a sister to do?

Luckily, the answer is easy (and inexpensive). Add hot-oil treatments to your hair-care routine and you'll be rewarded with shine and body. "Hot-oil treatments get down deep into the hair shaft, better than anything else," says Philadelphia-based hairstylist Yvette Smalls. "They deeply condition and moisturize."

This month, NiaOnline looks at the best hot-oil treatment formulas and shares expert tips on how to apply them. Get ready to pamper your crowning glory!

It's About Deep-Down Moisturizing

If you're skeptical that hot-oil treatments can do any better than your favorite hair grease or pomade, consider this: Because of the addition of heat, which opens up the hair's inner cortex, these treatments can actually penetrate the hair's cuticle.

The result: The strands are coated with conditioning oils, and the hair shaft is strengthened and lubricated. Once the formula is rinsed out, the shaft is closed, effectively locking in moisture. Hot-oil treatments are also excellent ways to lubricate dry scalps.

Perfect for Every Type and Texture of Our Hair

"In my opinion, everyone should use hot-oil treatments," says Smalls. "It doesn't matter if you have a perm, natural, whatever." Smalls especially recommends this hair treatment when the weather turns cold. "Harsh winds and low temperatures can really contribute to dry, brittle hair."

For natural hair, a treatment once every two months is sufficient. The exception is for people with locks. "The density of the hair, combined with the length of the locks, results in a loss of moisture." Smalls recommends monthly treatments for folks with locks.

Part II of article:

The ABCs of Application

Whether you wear a perm, locks, braids, or an Afro, the same simple steps apply for a thorough hot-oil treatment:

1. Place oil in heat-resistant plastic container, then place container in large bowl of hot water (think nice-warm-shower hot, not just-boiled-on-the-stove temperatures).

2. Part dry hair into four sections and secure with hair bands.

3. Starting with one section, further divide into quarters. With fingers, apply oil to scalp.

4. Distribute oil through hair.

5. Move on to next section.

6. Cover hair with old shower cap (remember, it will be covered in oil) and then wrap towel around your head.

7. Leave on for minimum of 15 minutes and no longer than 1 hour, depending on how dry or damaged your hair is. Women with locks should keep oil in for full hour to allow oil to penetrate completely.

8. To rinse, put shampoo directly onto hair and work into lather (do not wet hair first). Rinse and continue your normal routine.

The Perfect Formula

As any walk down the aisle of a drugstore or beauty-supply store will confirm, there are an overwhelming number of hot-oil treatments from which to choose. If you buy commercially available hot-oil treatments, "always read the ingredients," advises Smalls. Perfumes and alcohol, as well as harsh ingredients that can irritate the scalp, may do more harm than good. Because of this potential damage, many women make their own formulas.

Whether you decide to buy off the shelf or whip up your own concoction, look for these ingredients:

1. Base (carrier) oils that can be used alone or in combination with others:
* Jojoba: A great conditioner for Black textured hair, jojoba is also good for a dry scalp.
* Sweet almond: This easily absorbed balm for itchy scalps contains vitamin E and fatty acids.
* Avocado: The oil of this fatty fruit is rich in vitamins A, D, and E; potassium; and scalp-soothing sulfur.

2. Essential oils that should be added to the base oil:
* Sage: An astringent that stimulates growth and kills bacteria.
* Rosemary: Stimulates growth and gives hair shine; also helpful with dandruff.
* Evening primrose: Moisturizes and conditions hair.
* Calendula: Excellent for soothing and nourishing the scalp.
* Tea tree: In very small amounts, very useful for stimulating the scalp and alleviating dandruff.

Our Favorites
Here are three hot-oil treatments that we especially love:
* Phytotherathrie Huile d'Ales Revitalizing Botanical Oil is 100 percent natural with essential oils of rosemary, sage, and juniper (Sephora stores nationwide; $24).
* Weleda Rosemary Oil contains clover blossoms and burdock root (Sephora stores nationwide; $8.75).
* Paul Labrecque Lemongrass Oil with coconut and jojoba oils is also great for scalp massages (set of five 1-ounce bottles, $45).
Do you have your own favorite hot-oil-treatment recipe? Share it with us.

Our Expert's Favorite Hot-Oil Treatment, Philadelphia hairstylist Yvette Smalls shared with us her favorite recipe for healthy, shiny hair:

Mix equal parts jojoba, olive, grape-seed, avocado, and walnut oils. Add a small amount of aloe vera gel, a natural humectant (if you are allergic to aloe vera, substitute glycerin).

Finally, if desired, put in a few drops of scented essential oil for fragrance. Smalls recommends adding castor oil if hair is thinning.

To apply, follow the directions provided in the main article. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Ltown

Greyland

I'm in, started sealing with ceramides oil mixture last year as part of Reecies challenges which end in Dec. I use oil after fresh wash 2x a week and as needed. My current mixture is walnut, grapeseed,almond,avacodo,sesame,safflower,wgo, kukui. I've also include Chicoro mixture of aloe,wgo as prepoo. I'll be doing it all tons of oils too, vatika frosting, cocosata etc.

Here is ceramides thread,

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...088-official-2010-ceramides-challenge-44.html

T can you add links to the first thread as a reference go to?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

Great Article Thanks For Posting.

And Welcome Everyone. :welcome3:

Lets Get Our HOT ON!:giggle:

simplyhair

But I want to limit my Oils tremendously and maybe try 1-2 from time to time and not 20:lol: :lol: :lol:

I totally agree with this. I am so tired of my cabinet and fridge looking a clutter mess with every oil in the world. So, this challenge will be perfect for me since I had made up my mind a couple of weeks ago to minimize.

But I tell ya, that Hemp Seed oil mixed with my DC's on dry hair was the trick to finally having soft airdried hair.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

That's funny right there! Ok, that's what we should say (I got my HOT ON today) when we do our HOT's...I know corny. :lol:

Good One!:lol:

A few ladies in the U1 B1 have been doing them and seeing wonderful benefits and I have Oils sitting around, so this was the perfect opportunity & weather to start this Challenge.

I've been doing them about 3 weeks now.:yep:

I will also get some Pimento Oil and find a way to use that before this Challenge Ends.:yep:

janda

I'll join.
Sealing
Cocasta oil
WGO
EVCO
Oils added to conditioners
EVOO
EVCO
JBCO
Other oils
Almond oil
Grapeseed oil
Jojoba oil
Argan oil

I think Ill give HOTS a try.

Stella B.

I'm in! I'm in! I participated in Reecies' wheat germ oil challenge, and discovered the wonders of ceramide oils. I have fallen in love with hempseed oil and have added it to my bi-weekly regimen. It's a keeper! I'll be using up some other oils that I have around the house for this challenge, as well as using my favorite ones consistently. I'll be using -
coconut oil/infused and straight
avocado oil
olive oil
amla oil
various butters (melted)
Nyle oil
Vatika oil
and of course Chicoro's pre-poo with oil and aloe vera :lick:

and a host of others ...
My goal is to put more shine and strength in my hair, as well as adding a good HOT to my reggie once a week!! I never thought about using a heat cap for an oil treatment on week old hair....:look: but I'm willing to give it a try. I don't own a steamer, but I sure can make my own with a warm towel, and 3 plastic caps! lol
I'll be starting my next wash. Thanks IDT'sH!!!!!

Shay72

Natural, 4A

I'm in.

Sealing
Komaza Moku Serum, daily

HOT
Grapeseed or Sweet Almond oil, 1x/weekly

Oil Rinse
Grapeseed or Sweet Almond oil, 1x/weekly

Oil Scalp & Scalp Massage
Claudie's Scalp Elixir, 3x/weekly