**August Hits & Misses**

Dposh167

**August 2012 Hits & Misses**

AUGUST 2012
HITS AND MISSES

get outta the hot sun and into the cool waters of your shower!
Tell us what those august hit and missses were​

Last edited:

Ogoma

Miss: Komaza Care Leave-in

Hit: QB MTCG, Komaza Care Coconut Curl Pudding, Pura Body Naturals Murumuru Moisture Milks.

Hit to Staple: QB CTDG: I hate the smell, but my hair loves this as a leave-in. QB AHTB: Love the shine it gives and great sealant for my WnG.

JBunnie

Hit:
Giovanni 2 Chic Conditioner for cowashing

Miss:
Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel for WnGs

TheNDofUO

Hit: HE split end protector con for cowashing
Miss: the above as a leave in. Left a horrible white film

P.S. I'm talking about the UK version

KinkyGenius

MEGA Hit
Qhemet Biologics Honeybush Tea Soft Gel - This stuff right here! Maaaaaaaaaaan! Found my staple gel/styler. It defines my twistouts/braidouts and it slicks my hair down like nobody's business. I LOVE this gel. Provides a great hold, but somehow at the same time the hair is still soft to the touch and not weighed down. Again, love it!

Dposh167

on the fence:
Uncle Funky Daughter's Curly Magic Gel- i bought this cuz of all the raves about it. But its not controlling frizz at all. Now i wish i had tried the Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha

Pompous Blue

^^^^Yeah, I was one of the ones who raved about Curly Magic. I'm natural 4B/C and this was the only gel that maintained a braid out for more than 1/2 a day. So I love it for that. But in this Florida humidity, it would eventually shrink and frizz up and turn back into a 'fro.

I've tried so many gels and curl creams that it's maddening. Nothing worked at maintaining a braid-out/twist out all day 'til I tried hydroquenchsystems.com Puttyful The Anti-gel. This stuff keeps my hair stretch, elongated and maintains the braid-pattern ALL day. Even in rain/humidity. I just finished an 8oz. jar and am waiting on several jars I ordered from her. Received an etsy convo from her this morning that she's shipping all 3 of my orders Monday.....Yeah!!! Gotta love her 30% off and 50% off sales!! Great customer service, too!

In the meantime, though, I'll use Curly Magic!! It's my #2 go-to gel product.

HITS:
hydroquenchsystems.com Puttyful Anti-Gel
unclefunkysdaughter.com Curly Magic (not so great during Summer months, though)

MISSES:
curljunkie.com Pattern Pusha. Braid-out/twist-out only lasts a few hours; then my hair turns back into a frizzy, shrunken 'fro. Thought I had found a holy-grail when I 1st began using it 'cause no other gel/curl cream would maintain my style for more than an hour. But, alas, Summer came and it wasn't a holy-grail anymore.

Qhemet Biologics Honey bush tea soft gel. Does nothing for my hair. Does not give me a defined style nor maintain it. Great for DHs 3B/C hair. Curls and elongation all day long.

Jane Carter Solution curl defining cream - Does not style or maintain a style (braid-out/twist-out). Works great on DH's 3B/C hair. Curls and elongation all day long.

shescentit.com - Macadamia Fixing Gel - If the humdity is low, it'll maintain a style 5 or 6 hours. But, by the end of the day, my hair is a shrunken 'fro.

Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding - Forget about it!

Miss Jessie's Stretch Silkening Creme - Forget about it!

LuvlyRain3

MD olive wheat and berry intense protein dc- this is a great balancing dc. The smell is strong but tolerable kind of like trick or berry captain crunch. It does linger though. I used it 6 days ago and i can still smell it when i sniff my hair. It's not very thick but has decent slip. My hair ended up strong and soft.

Let's jam custard cream gel- this stuff gave me an amazing braid out. I wish it was better at combating humidity but meh for 4 bucks I'm not complaining.

Pompous Blue

@Pompous Blue
what is the consistency like of the anti-gel product? is it slimey...or like eco gel?
poochie167

That's the thing about it. I was expecting something slimey and when I opened the jar and saw this velvety, smooth, lightweight product, I thought "this ain't go do nothing for my 4B/C hair but produce another shrunken 'fro". But to my surprise, by noon that day when I looked in the mirror and I could still tell I had done a braid-out and my hair was still stretched and elongated, I was sold!

I use a moisturizer underneath, apply the product and let air-dry or dry it under the dryer. I apply a sealent the length of my hair to remove the braids and my hair is defined, moisturized, and stretched. It seems to work with any moisturizer and sealant.

I get 2nd day hair by re-braiding my dry hair into about 16 - 20 braids or spritzing and re-braiding into about 10 - 14 braids.

Another thing I noticed, there is no learning curve with this either. (I had a big learning curve with Curly Magic.) No matter how much or little I put on, it works! AND NO FLAKING EVA!!!!

I love, love, this stuff!!

Leslie_C

@poochie167

That's the thing about it. I was expecting something slimey and when I opened the jar and saw this velvety, smooth, lightweight product, I thought "this ain't go do nothing for my 4B/C hair but produce another shrunken 'fro". But to my surprise, by noon that day when I looked in the mirror and I could still tell I had done a braid-out and my hair was still stretched and elongated, I was sold!

I use a moisturizer underneath, apply the product and let air-dry or dry it under the dryer. I apply a sealent the length of my hair to remove the braids and my hair is defined, moisturized, and stretched. It seems to work with any moisturizer and sealant.

I get 2nd day hair by re-braiding my dry hair into about 16 - 20 braids or spritzing and re-braiding into about 10 - 14 braids.

Another thing I noticed, there is no learning curve with this either. (I had a big learning curve with Curly Magic.) No matter how much or little I put on, it works! AND NO FLAKING EVA!!!!

I love, love, this stuff!!

Pompous Blue does it take a lot of product per use? Are you shingling it through or how are you applying it? How many uses did you get out of a jar?

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Hit

World of Curls Curl Activator for Extra Dry Hair - Poppin curls, and hair that stayed moist all day. Lurve!

Paul Mitchell Hair Sculpting Lotion - Bomb.Com! Just used it for a WnG, and the curls are Errywhurrr! Downside, is it works best on freshly washed hair...no good for refreshing curls.

Miss

Got2b Kinkier Curling Mousse - I can get more curl definition using water, and hope. Seriously.

Pompous Blue

^^^ thank you! i think i will be trying that product
poochie167 Yes, now is the time to try it! It's 50% off. I asked her to make it in a 16oz size and glad she obliged.
@Pompous Blue does it take a lot of product per use? Are you shingling it through or how are you applying it? How many uses did you get out of a jar?
Leslie_C I don't shingle my 4B/C hair. It does nothing (no curl definition) so I only braid and twist.

The 8 oz. jar only lasted 3 weeks. I believe it will last about a month now that I get 2nd day hair by re-braiding. I'm through experimenting with using the product which caused me to use more than was needed.

My hair is fine (really almost superfine) so a lot of product is not needed. My routine this summer has been
Co-wash
Apply LI
Apply a little bit of product per braid-section and braid.
When I do the take-down in the morning, I apply a sealant to the length of the braid and unravel it.
Then I lightly separate the braids for a style and go.
My hair is soft and defined all day!

Of note - I live in Florida and work inside and outside and sometimes wear a hard-hat. The days I sweat (in my head) my hair shrinks slightly but the braid pattern remains. I'm amazed!!!

When I read the description on the website, I was confused as to what she was trying to describe. But I'm glad I took a chance and ordered it. Lord knows I've tried soooo many styling creams and gels and this one is it!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/96848430/puttyful-the-anti-gel-8-oz
I created "Puttyful" with ponytails in mind. When my hair was shorter and extremely puffy I would have to use mounds of gel to get my hair to lay flat and I still had fly away strands. Back in my permed days I used a type of hair putty I bought from a drug store. I thought to myself, wouldn't it be great to create a healthy putty? one that can be used for natural or straight hair...Well here it is!

I don't know how it works on ponytails or laying down your edges, but it works wonderfully for me in a braid-out/twist out! I wonder if anyone uses it on their straight hair.

Kindheart

Hits : Claudie's Hair Revitalizer ,love this product ,rich in sulfur and essential oils ,smells nice , makes my scalp tingle and hair soft .
Claudie's Balanced Ends and Satin moisturizer ,they absorb into my hair leaving it soft and smelling delicious .
Tea Spritz ,soft silky hair express.

Hairitage Coconut Yuzu love creamy and extremely moisturizing .

Misses: African Pride olive breakage cream.

Donna Marie detangler ,it's softening but doesn't detangle well.

Shed no more leave in is garbage ,mineral oil and paeabens 1rst and 3rd in ingredient list

Last edited:

AyannaDivine

Hit: BoBeamProducts Honey Hemp and Green Tea Shampoo Bar! Its unscented, produced low later and leaves hair clean and soft. I love how easy it is to wash all the suds out, I don't have to stand over the sink rinsing repeatedly so thats a major plus.

Miss: Alikay Naturas Curl Refresher and Alikay Naturals Dulce Curl Lotion. Not only was I sent the wrong product but the stuff she did send was garbage. I really wanted to like the curl lotion but its truly is a subpar product. No shade to Black Onyx, but she should be ashamed to have her name on this mess. The Curl Refresher is more like gel in a spray bottle... it might work well for a lose texture like 3A but my 4B/4C weren't feeling it.

Hits:
Bigger, fuller twistouts as my long transition progresses
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Satin pillowcases (I'm late to the party as I have always rocked satin bonnets at night only)
Revisiting Oyin Handmade Juice and Berries Spritz

No Misses

RUBY

Paltas Hair & Scalp Tonic
Fantasia leave in moisturizer hair and scalp treatment
Shea Moisture African black soap purification mask
Shea Moisture African black soap shampoo