During the process:
http://public.fotki.com/tkj25/2009-01-03/dsc05456.html#media

Done:

http://public.fotki.com/tkj25/2009-01-03/dsc05466.html#media
http://public.fotki.com/tkj25/2009-01-03/dsc05473.html#media

Last edited:

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
I haven't "shingled" since I had a TWA. I add my product in sections, but I don't use any tools, and the sections aren't that small. I wonder how different my hair would look if I shingled? Hmmmm........

CocoBunny

I dunno. With shingling I get so much shrinkage. Well defined ear length tight curls. If I just slap on some olive oil ecostyler I have decent (but not great) results. Shiny, looser, shoulder length curls.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
^^ CocoBunny that was my problem with shingling, too. AWESOME definition, super chubby curls...but horrible shrinkage lol. And since my hair is average thickness (borderline thin) if my curls are too clumped, it lays reeeaally weird. Almost as if I just have funky looking twists sticking out from my head. And my ends were like super chubby coils. It looked awkward from the front lol. I get more hang time just raking or smoothing product through.

Nonie

@whiteoleander91 and @CocoBunny, I thought shingling involved raking product through then when strands are weighed down by product, blowdrying so that the defined coils set in that stretched state? Which is how one can go from this:

...to this:

BEFORE
Natural hair. Client wants hi-lights a shape and a no-chem kniks to curls style approach.

AFTER
Client’s hair was color foiled to give dimension to her curls. Angel/Balance cutting method for shape and shingled with Curly Pudding to turn kinks to curls non-chemically.
Notice^^ no shrinkage; in fact hair has more hang after shingling.

Another tutorial on shingling shows you don't need to have shrinkage if you don't want to: www.missjessies.com/site/pdf/Shingling-101.pdf

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
Nonie I think it was b/c I used a fine tooth comb and applied the gel that way. Maybe I shingled wrong :(

But if your example is the way to shingle, shoooooot, I shingle errday! Lol. Just not in super small sections.

Nonie

@Nonie I think it was b/c I used a fine tooth comb and applied the gel that way. Maybe I shingled wrong :(

But if your example is the way to shingle, shoooooot, I shingle errday! Lol. Just not in super small sections.

@whiteoleander91, I don't see how that would be a problem. If anything, that's what I think would help the shingling to work well. Did you look at the PDF link I posted at the end of my post? Miss Jessie's stylists use a fine tooth comb...and so recommend it. See stage 3 of the PDF link I posted.

Embyra

Nonie I think it was b/c I used a fine tooth comb and applied the gel that way. Maybe I shingled wrong :(

whiteoleander91 the shrinkage is there because your hair is not being flattened=smoothed out dont just rake the product in like you would do with a wash and go

small sections then comb product through with a fine tooth comb

then you hold the length of hair taking sections wider than your natural curl and using two fingers smooth fingers down the hair shaft till its flat and smooth and stretched out

it should look straight at that point if you do it right

The stretch you get is from using the 2 finger smoothing action not from the blow dryer the blowdryer is there to add volume and fluff the curls

Its not a quick process theres a reason why missjessie says its takes from 3-4 hours minimum :yawn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjdP...DvjVQa1PpcFNQvBqSSUTC1Xn7ExeOIlOBNqgdEjVTWCY=

New miss jessie vid showing the 2 finger smoothing this is KEY to shingling

Last edited:

Embyra

I just wanted to add that the technique makes a difference. i notice that many say well i "shingled" but i didnt do X,Y, and Z. well then its not really shingling is it? with shingling i got different results than if i raked and smoothed with no fine toothed comb or denman.

Exactly:yep: