* All about shingling! Add your pics. All hair types wanted *

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Hi ladies,

I know I'm late but I am LOVING this shingling! Is anyone else shingling on a consistent basis? I have added my pics , tips and techniques below. I would love to come back to this thread six months from now to see how my hair has blossomed. I consider this a protective style so I'm hoping to see great progress as the months pass.

Please add your pics and techniques too!!!

As of now I use the Eco Olive Oil gel on top of the burdock root moisturizer from Qhemet. Or if I want a softer hold I use the Knot Today and the Curly Custard from Kinky Curly. Using my denman is also a part of the routine. I am likely a 4a but not positive Here are pics from today :)

What's great about shingling for me is that the style can last 3, 4 our even 5 days if I prefer. This is huge for me!

Ladies, feel free to add your pics and include your hair type, tools and techniques.

bibs

Gorgeous hair OP!!!
I shingle with ecostyler (when I'm not too lazy, a lot of the time I just rake through) and refresh with HE's none of your frizzness leave in, water, and EVOO.
The first pic is freshly shingled and the second is refreshed 4 day hair.

Attachments

• 1111100710.jpg
    1111100710.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 280
  • 177.jpg
    177.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 308

onemoretry

I hope more people chime in on this one. I just bc'd on the 18th of this month and I have been trying to figure out what I am going to do with my hair. I don't want to twist or braid because I am trying to grow my edges. This may just be the way for me to go.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Gorgeous hair OP!!!
I shingle with ecostyler (when I'm not too lazy, a lot of the time I just rake through) and refresh with HE's none of your frizzness leave in, water, and EVOO.
The first pic is freshly shingled and the second is refreshed 4 day hair.
So pretty! I love the definition in the 4 day old style. Shingling is incredible.

I hope more people chime in on this one. I just bc'd on the 18th of this month and I have been trying to figure out what I am going to do with my hair. I don't want to twist or braid because I am trying to grow my edges. This may just be the way for me to go.
Congratulations on your chop :) it definitely doesn't hurt to give this a try

Qtee

This is day 1 after shingling..
Snapshot_20100925_2.jpg
This is day 2 after I wore it up..
Snapshot_20101229.jpg
My method of shingling is..I section my hair into 4 sections...I apply my leave in to the section..then each section I seperate into 3 more sections applying ecostyler with olive oil on one section @ a time..I rake and smooth with my fingers..I dont like the way my hair looks with the denman..it completely takes out my curl and turns it into a loose wave..the rake and smooth gives me a deeper wave with a ringlet on the end..after I'm finished each section..I shake shake shake...then I move the curls that are out of place and air dry..On day 2 and 3, I dampen my hair, apply leave in (as if Im making a ponytail)..give a shake and go..

ilah

I tried shingling but it didnt turn out at all the way I wanted it to. I'll try it again (maybe I'll try using smaller sections...)

I don't think my hair is long enough or shapped correctly to have it looking nice enough to leave the bathroom with.....Hmmmmm

ajoyfuljoy

i hope i will be able to shingle one day. I know absolutely nothing about my natural hair and will be starting from scratch. your results are beautiful!

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Today is day two. Last night I covered my hair with my bonnet. This morning I misted my hair with a little water, rubbed in a little more burdock root moisturizer and fluffed just a little:

EllePixie

I don't use a denman or wide tooth comb, but I do section my hair and rake/smooth to distribute product. It's easier to not miss spots this way since my hurrr is thick (sometimes if I apply product the lazy way, I can part my hair and it's obvious that the product only reached the top layer of my hair...smh). Not sure if that's considered shingling (I don't do it like in the MJ video). Here's my vid on how I section my hair - YouTube - Tutorial: Wash and Go (Sectioning) - UPDATE!

JNSQ...your pictures are blocked from my work comp. I has a sad.

Last edited:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I don't use a denman or wide tooth comb, but I do section my hair and rake/smooth to distribute product. It's easier to not miss spots this way since my hurrr is thick (sometimes if I apply product the lazy way, I can part my hair and it's obvious that the product only reached the top layer of my hair...smh). Not sure if that's considered shingling (I don't do it like in the MJ video). Here's my vid on how I section my hair - YouTube - Tutorial: Wash and Go (Sectioning) - UPDATE!

JNSQ...your pictures are blocked from my work comp. I has a sad.
Yeah, I can see how missing spots can happen. I wonder if I will get the same outcome if I comb instead of denman. Why is my pitchas blockded? My feelings has been hurted EP

Iluvsmuhgrass

I tried this when I first BC'ed and my hands got tired (CT is a beast).... on top of that I missed a few pieces, tried it on drying hair and ended up looking a little crazy LOL.

Do you guys find that the right product can make a world of difference when shingling? I'm soooo temped to buy the KCCC and KCNT because of the rave reviews. (How does it compare to other products?)

EllePixie

Yeah, I can see how missing spots can happen. I wonder if I will get the same outcome if I comb instead of denman. Why is my pitchas blockded? My feelings has been hurted EP

I thinks da govt blocks da photobucket. :ohwell: I sowwi.

Have you tried it with a Tangle Teezer? That seems like it would be good too.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I tried this when I first BC'ed and my hands got tired (CT is a beast).... on top of that I missed a few pieces, tried it on drying hair and ended up looking a little crazy LOL.

Do you guys find that the right product can make a world of difference when shingling? I'm soooo temped to buy the KCCC and KCNT because of the rave reviews. (How does it compare to other products?)

You got some thick hair gal so I can see how you would get worn out.

I think you should try it on damp cw hair with a moisturizer and some eco olive oil gel and see what happens. That would be the cheapest route. The kcct and kt are great as well, for me its a softer hold and more expensive

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Je Ne Sais Quoi, your hair!! :love:
and 2nd day hair?? that's what i'm talkin' bout-i love styles that last more than one day.
i should try this today...i can't believe i've been natural for my entire life and never tried shingling. i thought it was more of a type 3 thing, but your hair is really similar to mine...hmmm.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Je Ne Sais Quoi, your hair!! :love:
and 2nd day hair?? that's what i'm talkin' bout-i love styles that last more than one day.
i should try this today...i can't believe i've been natural for my entire life and never tried shingling. i thought it was more of a type 3 thing, but your hair is really similar to mine...hmmm.

Gal you better shingle that pretty hair and let me see them pitchas! Can't wait to see!

Diva_Esq

I love the idea of this thread!

Here's my shingling pic. I used mixed chicks leave-in & shea moisture curl smoothie! :)

Last edited:

bibs

^^Whoa your hair looks amazing! That's 5 days later??? How the heck did you sleep?

I bought KCCC after reading/watching so many great reviews and was a little disappointed. I think once my hair is longer I'll like it better, but I def don't get two day hair from using it and I'm too lazy to shingle every morning like that so I haven't used it in awhile.

helixhoney

^^Whoa your hair looks amazing! That's 5 days later??? How the heck did you sleep?

LOL. Thanks, BiaM. I either pulled my hair in a high puff at night, or put it in two ponytails and plaited them. I'd undo it in the morning (yep, it looked crazed), and the steam from the shower would reform the coils.

EllePixie

I bought KCCC after reading/watching so many great reviews and was a little disappointed. I think once my hair is longer I'll like it better, but I def don't get two day hair from using it and I'm too lazy to shingle every morning like that so I haven't used it in awhile.

What leave-in did you use with KCCC? Personally, I don't like it ALL with Knot Today, but it's great with my Oyin Honey Hemp. I got four day hair and could have gone longer. My version of shingling only takes me 10 minutes or so though, so I don't mind doing my hair daily.