Anyone with 3c / 4a Hair Care to Share Pics of Curly Primer or Shingling?

Here is a pic from the last time I did the curly primer method right before I re-shaped my hair, so excuse the mullet:

cpm1-1.jpg

Last edited:
id like to see too, but i dont think i could do this, i cant spend an hour twirling little hair like in the curly primer. id go insane.

Last edited:
I have some of the tightlycurly method. Someone posted this last year and I've been doing it every since. Thank you whoever that OP was and to the lady on that website.

Be right back.

101_0843_edited.jpg

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

013.JPG

Last edited:
Here is a pic from the last time I did the curly primer method right before I re-shaped my hair, so excuse the mullet:

cpm1-1.jpg

Wow..I love it! I know your hair is mixed with 3c, but it still gives me a general idea of how my hair would look! Thanks!

I have some of the tightlycurly method. Someone posted this last year and I've been doing it every since. Thank you whoever that OP was and to the lady on that website.

Be right back.

Thanks! It looks very similar to the lady on that site! Your curls are gorgeous!

If I can find/take pics and find my cord I'll post. I do the smoothing instead of the twirling, and I think that probably takes less time. The twirling would drive me nutty! My curls always pop and have no frizz when I do it. I'm going to try shingling this weekend, so I'll post pics of that too if I can :yep:.

Wow..I love it! I know your hair is mixed with 3c, but it still gives me a general idea of how my hair would look! Thanks!

Yeah... this method can either make my hair look more uniform, or make the 3c really stand out from the 4a. Mostly depends on if I use a comb or my Denman to detangle beforehand.

It never comes out exactly the same for me every time I do it... :look:

id like to see too, but i dont think i could do this, i cant spend an hour twirling little hair like in the curly primer. id go insane.

If I can find/take pics and find my cord I'll post. I do the smoothing instead of the twirling, and I think that probably takes less time. The twirling would drive me nutty! My curls always pop and have no frizz when I do it. I'm going to try shingling this weekend, so I'll post pics of that too if I can :yep:.

I smooth also. I didn't know she twirled the hair... I should go watch her vid again.

I smooth also. I didn't know she twirled the hair... I should go watch her vid again.

She smooths on her video, but on the site she lists different options, one of which is twirling, which looks pretty similar to coiling. I don't know how people do it. Maybe I could do it on someone else, but definitely not on myself.

I've tried both methods before and didn't like them. It did make my hair look more uniform but it seems like the denman makes my curls snap back and shrink more than if I just let it drip dry.

She smooths on her video, but on the site she lists different options, one of which is twirling, which looks pretty similar to coiling. I don't know how people do it. Maybe I could do it on someone else, but definitely not on myself.

Ah, thank you for this! ;)

the pics in my siggy are the results of Teri's method .. I get a lot less shrinkage with this than with W&G's.
My hair is less tangled as well . Much more defined , and I can get 3-4 day hair maybe more, but I like to wash 2x a week .

But , I modified it for me .... unlike Teri , I use a leave in cream (cantu ) and then a gel (feels like silk ) then I smooth .. I don't like conditioner alone

the pics in my siggy are the results of Teri's method .. I get a lot less shrinkage with this than with W&G's.
My hair is less tangled as well . Much more defined , and I can get 3-4 day hair maybe more, but I like to wash 2x a week .

But , I modified it for me .... unlike Teri , I use a leave in cream (cantu ) and then a gel (feels like silk ) then I smooth .. I don't like conditioner alone
i would agree , my hair has pretty good definition on its own, i can even get it close to frizz free, not 100% but close. so i think IF i tried this i like to use some type of gel, because if i didnt it would probably look like my regular wash an go.

eta: actually, i dont think i'll try it, cause it seems to come close to my wash an go with gel look, which would take way less time.

Last edited:
i would agree , my hair has pretty good definition on its own, i can even get it close to frizz free, not 100% but close. so i think IF i tried this i like to use some type of gel, because if i didnt it would probably look like my regular wash an go.

eta: actually, i dont think i'll try it, cause it seems to come close to my wash an go with gel look, which would take way less time.

And this is one reason I don't do it often. It ranks up there with the Curlisto method - I got wonderfully frizz-free hair, but it's time-consuming.

Honestly, I think my hair looks better with a little frizz... more carefree, and more reflective of its owner. :look:

And this is one reason I don't do it often. It ranks up there with the Curlisto method - I got wonderfully frizz-free hair, but it's time-consuming.

Honestly, I think my hair looks better with a little frizz... more carefree, and more reflective of its owner. :look:
i like my hair wash an goes, frizz or not
but if i choose no frizz, i better have some big volume to back it up or it just looks weird on me.

(thin frizz free hair ala "spanish wave" doesnt do me any justice, i prefer volume like my hair iin my avatar. frizz or not)

Girl I can't lie it takes a while !!!!!!!!!! 45 mins for me lol
but worth it .. I love my hair , and I have no surpirses anymore unless I W$G lol !

i like my hair wash an goes, frizz or not
but if i choose no frizz, i better have some big volume to back it up or it just looks weird on me.

(thin frizz free hair ala "spanish wave" doesnt do me any justice, i prefer volume like my hair iin my avatar. frizz or not)

Day one and two lol "spanish wavy" but girl..... by day 3 and 4 poof ! lol

Oh I completely get what you're saying. The first time I henna'd and didn't get it all out that first night of rinsing... my hair dried in this flat, elongated curl pattern that was not cute on me at all! I mean, I know that's the look some go for, but on me? No... just no! :lachen:

I've tried both methods before and didn't like them. It did make my hair look more uniform but it seems like the denman makes my curls snap back and shrink more than if I just let it drip dry.

The Denman brush has that same effect on my hair. I like the brush for detangling, but don't always like how it makes my hair look.

Ditto. I'm learning more and more to embrace frizz and shrinkage.

Yeah it seems the same way for me. My hair might look a bit better with shingling sometimes, but not enough to justify the extra time.

WITH shingling:
shinglingbeforeandafter023-vi.jpg

shinglingbeforeandafter028-vi.jpg

WITHOUT shingling (using a Denman brush):
shinglingbeforeandafter010-vi.jpg

traighteningmyhairApril2009008-vi.jpg

WITHOUT
shingling (using a Jilbere shower comb and no Denman):
100_2656-vi.jpg

100_2654-vi.jpg

I personally I think the last pic has the most "character."

Random:
My hair seems to pretty much come out the same no matter what technique I use (or how time consuming it is). It happens the same way when I do twistouts. So I just usually stick to the quick and easy wash n' go.

A twistout pic:
068-vi.jpg

Random:
My hair seems to pretty much come out the same no matter what technique I use (or how time consuming it is). It happens the same way when I do twistouts. So I just usually stick to the quick and easy wash n' go.

Ditto. Certain things I do may affect my hair's volume, shrinkage, curl uniformity or frizz factor... but for the most part, it's all the same basic look. Unless I disturb the curl pattern - as in pick it out, blow it out, rollerset it or flat iron it.

cpm1-1.jpg

Some of my curls look exactly like yours! The entir back 3/4 of my head look like your curl pattern. Not sure of my type, but I wish I could get my coils to look so uniform. How'd you do it?

My front is another story as it has sections of heat damage and pieces won't coil at all :(

DSCN1181.jpg
modified version of this on my ponytail. I can't do those little sections like she does. It would take me all day!

no shingling
DSCN1193.jpg

I dunno, I kind of like it full and fluffy.

Last edited:
Some of my curls look exactly like yours! The entir back 3/4 of my head look like your curl pattern. Not sure of my type, but I wish I could get my coils to look so uniform. How'd you do it?

My front is another story as it has sections of heat damage and pieces won't coil at all :(

My Denman brush tends to make my 3c sections coil more, so they blend better with the 4a sections.

I think this particular time I did the CP method, I detangled with the Denman, then braided my hair so it wouldn't shrink as much (usind a Denman can give you wicked shrinkage :perplexed ). Then I took down one conditioner-filled braid at a time, combed with a wide-tooth comb and smoothed each little individual coil I could find.

Good luck with the front, I hope you are avoiding heat and babying that area as it grows out... :yep:

Back