Shingling Gone Wrong....

Incognitus

Ok ladies, I need some input. I tried shingling with KC knot today and Eco gel (#10 strength). Here's what I did:

I cowashed hair, rinsed, and then applied KC Knot Today small sections at a time with my fingers.
Then a sectioned hair and applied Eco gel row by row, running a wide-tooth comb through once.

It started to look lovely. Hours later, my hair was not dry. Twelve hours later, my hair was still not dry...specifically the roots (and about 3 inches past the root). Now, 20hrs later, my roots are still wet, and there are many sections that have that white "gel" crust. I think I was too heavy handed with the gel...and maybe with the KC too?

So, um...what did I do wrong? what do I need to do next time?

Also, the back and circumference of my hair made perfect curls (the 3c part of my hair), but many of the other parts (4a) were more frizzy that ringlets. Should I be using different techniques for different parts of my hair?

I'm not a shingling pro nor have I ever done it, but I think for the parts of your hair with tiny coils, a fine-tooth comb might work better than the wide-tooth comb. I'm thinking this way because I think a fine-tooth comb would open the curls up to allow them to cup each other for better definition. Just a thought.

we need some pics! lol...ummm i hope someone can help you...i love ecostyler for my edges sometimes, but i almost never use it on the length of my hair because a.) i dont think i have the patience for that shingling business & b.) i havent found a leave in that doesnt leave white balls all over when mixed with eco and then i have to rinse and start all over.

i also heard KCNT works best with KCCC, but that stuff is expensive. how much gel & KCKT did you use per section? and did you apply it on soaking wet hair? if you used alot, or your hair was really wet when you applied it, that could be a reason why it took so long to dry...ooh and a technique to make your 4a curls match the 3c parts better is to smooth small sections with your comb or hands after you apply the gel and then grip it with your thumb and the finger next to it (index finger?) and twirl it around that finger and you should get a nice little ringlet/spiral.

ETA: plus what nonie said, use a smaller toothed comb or denman or paddle brush for the best results

Last edited:
When you shingled did you smooth well? I find that if I don't smooth the gel in small enough sections it will clump in my hair instead of clumping my hair. In addition eco styler gel is thin compared to the curling custard that is usually paired with knot today. Perhaps you can try a different leave in?
Also... the long drying time is to be expected when shingling. If you prefer a shorter time a curling creme may be a good idea to try... :)

I've read that Kinky Curly products work best together. When we shingle my niece's hair, we sit her under the hood dryer.

I've read that Kinky Curly products work best together.

I don't know what it is about kc products, but THEY DO NOT play well with other stuff. It's not necessarily your technique, but rather the ingredients in the kckt.I have tried to mix the kckt with other gels, and get the white balls no matter how little gel I use. The only time I get great results with the kc line, is when I use the kckt and kccc together. Otherwise, I will "dilute" if you will the kckt with taliah waajid leave in, apply then use whatever gel to shingle on soaking wet hair.

The only way that I found to get those "white" balls out was to do a clarifying wash......and even that took a couple times to get that funky feeling out of my hair. I really like kc products, but you really do have the best results when they are used together :) hth!:drunk:

Back