* All about shingling! Add your pics. All hair types wanted *

deltagyrl

What leave-in did you use with KCCC? Personally, I don't like it ALL with Knot Today, but it's great with my Oyin Honey Hemp. I got four day hair and could have gone longer. My version of shingling only takes me 10 minutes or so though, so I don't mind doing my hair daily.

Do you have a youtube vid? I think I just watched it. :spinning:

Soliel185

This is day 1 after shingling..
View attachment 104033
This is day 2 after I wore it up..
View attachment 104035
My method of shingling is..I section my hair into 4 sections...I apply my leave in to the section..then each section I seperate into 3 more sections applying ecostyler with olive oil on one section @ a time..I rake and smooth with my fingers..I dont like the way my hair looks with the denman..it completely takes out my curl and turns it into a loose wave..the rake and smooth gives me a deeper wave with a ringlet on the end..after I'm finished each section..I shake shake shake...then I move the curls that are out of place and air dry..On day 2 and 3, I dampen my hair, apply leave in (as if Im making a ponytail)..give a shake and go..

Sounds like my 'washngo' When I called it 'shingling' I was told that it didn't count b/c the sections weren't small enough and I don't use any tools. I did try it with a Denman once but it made my hair poofy w just a curl at the ends. Also, it's more time consuming.

This is how mine comes out:

The amt of definition varies depending on how much product I use.

Diva_Esq

Very pretty! What is your application technique?

Thank you. I cowashed, rinsed, squeezed excess water. Applied leave-ins & moisturizer in sections starting in back and working toward the front. I smoothed and brushed each layer through with the Denman brush. Then I shook and put on a headband. Ecostyler for my edges. :)

deltagyrl

911!

I shingled and loved the definition but my hair is hard. I used eco-styler and air-dried. What gives?

Can you shingle without using gel?

Qtee

911!

I shingled and loved the definition but my hair is hard. I used eco-styler and air-dried. What gives?

Ur hair will be hard the 1st day..and will soften as the days go...My theory is the harder the hair..the longer it'll last..but I dont mind the effects of gel...also u can "scrunch the crunch" with oil...rub oil on ur hair and scrunch to soften ur hair..BTW u do this after its all dry to prevent frizz..

EllePixie

911!

Have you tried Eco Styler before? It makes my hair hard in general. You can shingle with a curl creme as well, like Donna Marie Dream Curling Creme. Also, you don't have to use Eco Styler - you could use aloe vera gel, which is much lighter and doesn't make my hair crunchy.

The only product I would not shingle with is conditioner, unless the condish was really heavy. Also, you might have to use a LOT on condish, like Teri's method.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

911!

Did you use the eco olive oil gel (the green one)? Did you use moisturizer before shooting the gel? The kcct and kcnt are great for me when I want a softer hold. Do you have that? If not you likely can shingle with maybe plain old conditioner but the hold likely won't be as great and you would have to be careful not to use too much as your hair may be white.

A youheavy handed with product? I'm wondering if you used too much gel

knt1229

Here is a pic of my shingled puff. I used a mix of S-curl and Care Free Curl Gold and Ecostyler Olive Oil Gel. I apply on wet hair in small sections. After applying the curl activator and gel I apply oil so my hair won't dry hard.

Attachments

• IMG_0864.JPG
    IMG_0864.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 111

deltagyrl

Ur hair will be hard the 1st day..and will soften as the days go...My theory is the harder the hair..the longer it'll last..but I dont mind the effects of gel...also u can "scrunch the crunch" with oil...rub oil on ur hair and scrunch to soften ur hair..BTW u do this after its all dry to prevent frizz..

Thanks for answering my question. I will scrunch the crunch once it's all dry.

I really hate being a newbie again...:look:

Can't wait until I have some length but in love with my hair. :yep:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Today is day three and last night I forgot to throw on my bonnet so today will be a real test. I will post pics of my bed head in just a moment....

deltagyrl

Did you use the eco olive oil gel (the green one)? Did you use moisturizer before shooting the gel? The kcct and kcnt are great for me when I want a softer hold. Do you have that? If not you likely can shingle with maybe plain old conditioner but the hold likely won't be as great and you would have to be careful not to use too much as your hair may be white.

A youheavy handed with product? I'm wondering if you used too much gel

I don't think I'm heavy handed. I have the clear eco-styler gel and it is always white in my hair but dries clear. I plan on purchasing the olive oil gel in the future.

I'm still learning my hair but I'm frustrated because I haven't found THE products to achieve my desired looks yet. I want to wear my TA stretched as it's a decent length now. Oy vey!

And I have no idea what those acronyms are. :ohwell: :lol:

Here is a pic of my shingled puff. I used a mix of S-curl and Care Free Curl Gold and Ecostyler Olive Oil Gel. I apply on wet hair in small sections. After applying the curl activator and gel I apply oil so my hair won't dry hard.

What did you use to pull your hair back? I'm tired of using headbands...

Have you tried Eco Styler before? It makes my hair hard in general. You can shingle with a curl creme as well, like Donna Marie Dream Curling Creme. Also, you don't have to use Eco Styler - you could use aloe vera gel, which is much lighter and doesn't make my hair crunchy.

The only product I would not shingle with is conditioner, unless the condish was really heavy. Also, you might have to use a LOT on condish, like Teri's method.

I have for twist-outs and my edges. I was fine with the result but for shingling...I dunno. I may try aloe vera later today.

Does Teri apply condish before or after the gel?

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I don't think I'm heavy handed. I have the clear eco-styler gel and it is always white in my hair but dries clear. I plan on purchasing the olive oil gel in the future.

I'm still learning my hair but I'm frustrated because I haven't found THE products to achieve my desired looks yet. I want to wear my TA stretched as it's a decent length now. Oy vey!

And I have no idea what those acronyms are. :ohwell: :lol:

What did you use to pull your hair back? I'm tired of using headbands...

I have for twist-outs and my edges. I was fine with the result for shingling...I dunno. I may try aloe vera later today.

Does Teri apply condish before or after the gel?

My bad :lol: that's kinky curly curling custard and knot today leave in. I think I used the wrong abbreviations too :lol: d'oh!

EllePixie

@deltagyrl Teri doesn't use gel, only conditioner. But like JNSQ said, your hair might turn out white. I know when I tried it, my hair started frizzing at the roots (but my hair is low porosity, which is why on wet hair I like more water based products - gel is mostly water) and the conditioner wasn't absorbing well. But those were with the condishes she recommended like Aussie Moist, I like other condishes better.

Alta Angel

Subscribing.

I love the shape of my haircut and I am eager to try shingling or a WNG method. I am a little nervous about wash day, but I think my hair should be fine after a prepoo and gentle detangling.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I used shea moisture leave in and olive oil eco styler. the results were stiff and uncomfortable. i shingled miss jessies style(fine toothed comb and smoothing. i never shingled again.:lol:
Pics

wet fresh washed hair

tight undersection no product

added shea moisture

shingled

Working up

Crown difficulty

End result

Dry result

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I just wanted to add that the technique makes a difference. i notice that many say well i "shingled" but i didnt do X,Y, and Z. well then its not really shingling is it? with shingling i got different results than if i raked and smoothed with no fine toothed comb or denman.

Qtee

My first post was in 12/2010 on the 1st page..This pic was taken 12/2011010.JPG

014.JPG

011.JPG

I still shingle..:grin::grin::grin:

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
these are old pics from when I was 18 months post last relaxer (6 months natural). Fine tooth comb, Moroccan Argan Oil Eco and .... Long Aid Curl Activator gel? I did it in sections that spanned ear to ear, but were very 'thin' sections. I liked it, but I didn't like the way it made some of my ends curl. And I think I had a lot of shrinkage that day.

I remember my hair being very smooth. I plan on revisiting it in the future once my hair is a lot longer.

SEMO

@whiteoleander91

I love your pics!

I've only tried shingling my hair once or twice. I'm really more of a wash n' go kinda natural. But here is a pic from awhile ago:

I might have to try shingling again and maybe post a more updated pic. The one above is from years ago.

Last edited:

yorkpatties

I tried shingling for the first time yesterday. I just got my diffuser and I was ready to go. I started on the back with my rattail comb and after a few comb throughs, I was DONE! :lachen: I don't know how you ladies do it. I think I am going to need a professional to do it first so I can know off the bat what my hair can and can not achieve.

I managed to go through it with my Denman (does anyone shingle with a Denman? Is that still considered shingling?) and I made it look half decent. It looked pretty good after I used the diffuser too. I did all of this on cowashed hair but I am going to try it on freshly washed hair to see if I get better results.

qchelle

I'm going to try this for tomorrow. I use to be able to shingle when my hair was a lot shorter without sectioning it off. Now that my hair is longer, I was still trying to do this without sectioning it off which is just a big fail lol so I thought my shingle-ing days were over :( . I never thought of doing it in small sections. Brilliant! lol