Shingling Disaster

SparklingFlame

I saw the shingling method on curve.com and I thought I might try it. Today on the Hair Recipe board I saw the recipe for Miss Jessi's Curly pudding/cream or whatever its called and I made it. Then I followed the instructions from the site. Man oh man. What a way to discover the kind of hair texture you have! It says if you have a z pattern of hair shingling won't work for you. I always though and it always appeared to me that my hair was in tight corkscrew curls. Well, I was wrong. I just ended up with a curlier than usual afro.:ohwell: Needless to say, I am quite pised. Now I have no idea what experiment to try next. I am wearing a wet afro puff now, so I guess I can try to do some twists tomorrow. I think I will make another concotion. Proclaim beeswax, cocoa butter, veg. glycerine, jojoba oil, and coconut oil and put that on my hair and twist it. AAAWWW man who knows?? I'm just pissed is all and now I don't know what to do next! :mad:

Sorry about your shingling problem. shingling could never work on the front texture of my head because its 4a/4b. a twist-out would be bettter to acheive a similar curly look.

den1 said:
Sorry about your shingling problem. shingling could never work on the front texture of my head because its 4a/4b. a twist-out would be bettter to acheive a similar curly look.

Girl, my hair shriveled up to the leanth of my pinkie fingernail!!! I even tried to put a lil heat to sections with the director nozzel of my hair dryer. My hair said "nuh uh....not today, baby!!! :p " I was too thru!

You might want to wash all that buttercreme out yr hair. When I was natural,I got good shingling def. not by using the Miss Jessies products, but by use Fantasia IC w Sparkelites. Perhaps using a different product may help. I didn't use heat when I shingled, so I don't know how my advice would help. I hope it will help anyway.

naturallady said:
Girl, my hair shriveled up to the leanth of my pinkie fingernail!!! I even tried to put a lil heat to sections with the director nozzel of my hair dryer. My hair said "nuh uh....not today, baby!!! :p " I was too thru!
yeah, i completely understand how you feel, perphaps you could try the fantasia gel like ddtexlaxd recommended. Don't get too upset, its just one of those days.good luck.

DDtexlaxd said:
You might want to wash all that buttercreme out yr hair. When I was natural,I got good shingling def. not by using the Miss Jessies products, but by use Fantasia IC w Sparkelites. Perhaps using a different product may help. I didn't use heat when I shingled, so I don't know how my advice would help. I hope it will help anyway.

I think its just the texture of my hiar. I don't think the product or with or without heat will help. I did have pretty curls though. Just very very short!! :)

naturallady said:
I think its just the texture of my hiar. I don't think the product or with or without heat will help. I did have pretty curls though. Just very very short!! :)
post some pics i'm sure it looks beautiful.

Sorry to hear about that. I tried to shingle and was similarly disenchanted- it was a combination of the nasty feeling of the curl pudding (I put in a ton), the nauseating smell (it smells really sweet but it's overpowering for my sensitive nose), the volume (my hair was scary huge), the shrinkage (my hair shrunk more with the product in it than without) and the unevenness of my hair texture and my hair length. I've got pictures in my album.

kristina said:
Sorry to hear about that. I tried to shingle and was similarly disenchanted- it was a combination of the nasty feeling of the curl pudding (I put in a ton), the nauseating smell (it smells really sweet but it's overpowering for my sensitive nose), the volume (my hair was scary huge), the shrinkage (my hair shrunk more with the product in it than without) and the unevenness of my hair texture and my hair length. I've got pictures in my album.

And you are 100% correct. Only the smell didn't bother me. I used A LOT and my hair shrunk worse than normal. The only thing I will say is that it gave good texture to it when I pulled it back in an afro. I looked just like Penny from Good Times..ya'll remember when she wore her puff with the lil strands pulled out in front of her ears? Well, that happened to me without my doing it that way! It was too funny!

Noone should put an oversaturation of any of their products ESPECIALLY the curly pudding and merigue in their hair. It will pop your hair off.

And the shingling doesn't work on every hair texture.

naturallady said:
I posted the pics. They should be on the second page.
i like your curls and the one where your hair is pulled back, you have a pretty texture. just try a better product, that's all. there is nothing to be ashamed of.

jengrady said:
Noone should put an oversaturation of any of their products ESPECIALLY the curly pudding and merigue in their hair. It will pop your hair off.

And the shingling doesn't work on every hair texture.

I didn't use thier product. I got a recipe off the Hair Recipe Board here. Thank God I didn't pay all that money for the stuff, especially since it didn't work for me. Thanks ladies of LHCF for posting the recipe!

den1 said:
i like your curls and the one where your hair is pulled back, you have a pretty texture. just try a better product, that's all. there is nothing to be ashamed of.

Thanks girl! I liked the product, but I think I'll have to wait until my hair gets as long as yours before I can usse it again.

Hello natural. What is the shinglind method? I don't need my hair to be shorter but I woul like some curls. Also. i went to curves.com and it let me the the GM web site.

Z

Hello natural. What is the shinglind method? I don't need my hair to be shorter but I woul like some curls. Also. i went to curves.com and it let me the the GM web site.

Z

naturallady said:
Thanks girl! I liked the product, but I think I'll have to wait until my hair gets as long as yours before I can usse it again.
you don't have to have extra long hair to try that look again. give it another try sometime.

naturallady said:
I didn't use thier product. I got a recipe off the Hair Recipe Board here. Thank God I didn't pay all that money for the stuff, especially since it didn't work for me. Thanks ladies of LHCF for posting the recipe!
I am with you on that. My shingling came out looking bad too, but I did not feel that bad about it. If I would have paid the money for the buttercream then I would have felt like crying. I used the Sparklite once and also a recipe I got from here or another form. I can not do a straw set either.

How unfortunate that your hair did not turn out the way you want...Here's looking forward to a style you do want that will come out just the way you envision it.

As always, I have learned about yet another way of styling hair from LHCF...I definitely have to find out more about shngling just to say it is a part of my repartoire

CinnaMocha said:
How unfortunate that your hair did not turn out the way you want...Here's looking forward to a style you do want that will come out just the way you envision it.

As always, I have learned about yet another way of styling hair from LHCF...I definitely have to find out more about shngling just to say it is a part of my repartoire

ITA. All I can say is try it out. It can't hurt (except maybe your feelings if it doesn't turn out right! :lol: )

Back