2012 Relaxed Hair Buddy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mona123

@Mona123 @Raspberry - air drying leads to coarser hair that requires far more moisture. There are times when I cannot seem to get my hair moisturized when air dryng no matter the product or techniques used. My hair performs better when using heat (roller setting).

Mona, I used Mizani H20 without issues. When actively using it, I use it throughout the week randomly vs. as a wash day LI. I always moisturize first before using H20.

divachyk I haven't really given rollersetting a shot but both you and Raspberry seem to have good results so I will try it...right after this airdrying/flat iron experiment which may turn out to be a total nightmare, but I have to give it a try!

Raspberry I actually have tried using both moisturizers, and you're right, I get better results that way.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Raspberry said:
Great relaxer results Cattypus1!

KiWiStyle I like how you've been experimenting with styles, very cute :)

xu93texas I'd have a hard time not eating that banana protein mask lol. I was skimming through the hair recipes in Hair Rehab last night... I might try one, maybe. I'm usually not motivated to do all that mixin for hair treatments. The only thing I'm going to do more often is pre-pooing with coconut oil since the practice proven to prevent protein loss.

baddison Still hanging in there?

=====

I'm in week 3 now, things are going well. Since my roots are unusually thick due to being underprocessed last time, I'm going to start cowashing exclusively from the rest of the stretch. I have a lot of good products now and want to see if co-washing, plus moisturizing my NG with heavier butters makes a big difference.

I really hate bananas except for the way they smell. I wouldn't have any problem not eating the mask...I'm dying to try it! I'm with ya on the mixing...does seem like a lot of trouble.

baddison

natural for good
@Mona123 You could try layering a heavy butter on top of your watery moisturizer. I get good results that way.

@divachyk Right now I love tension blow drying... even when I do it with only the cool shot my results are still way more consistent than air drying. I still have to make sure to moisturize very well afterwards since the force of the air is drying by default. My best results with air drying have been when I tshirt dried to 70% first and then hand smoothed the hair in sections with product until it was fully dry.

@baddison Do you use a sprush? Once I saw this on Hairlicious it made me feel like maybe I could self-relax if I do small sections. Using thisthing is supposed to make it much easier to avoid overlapping. There are a variety of sizes too.

Raspberry - YEP!! :yep: I have that, and I use it all the time. It really does make the application and smoothing process pleasant. I never use those tiny, rattail combs. I wish hairdressers wouldn't use them either. But that's just one more reason why I'm a D-I-Y'er!!

Cattypus1

All loced up...
baddison said:
Raspberry - YEP!! :yep: I have that, and I use it all the time. It really does make the application and smoothing process pleasant. I never use those tiny, rattail combs. I wish hairdressers wouldn't use them either. But that's just one more reason why I'm a D-I-Y'er!!

I've never seen one of those, I use a tint brush (I think that's what they're called). I'd like to try a sprush if I could find one. Is the flat end rubber?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Cattypus1 said:
I've never seen one of those, I use a tint brush (I think that's what they're called). I'd like to try a sprush if I could find one. Is the flat end rubber?

Yeah I have the color application brush with bristles. This spruce thing is very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Mona123 and Raspberry, I want to find an alternative to roller setting but for now roller setting it is. I have ditched traditional setting -- haven't done one of those in about year now. I pony set and that works just as good.

How often do you tension blow dry Ras?

Raspberry

divachyk I have yet to try the ponytail rollerset but it does seem like a simpler alternative. I don't do full rollersetting at all, too lazy for all that :lol:

I tension blow dry every time I wash, so every 4-5 days. I alternate between the low setting and the cool shot. I'm considering upping my co-washes to once every 3 days for this stretch so I may consider air drying every other wash if I can get a set routine with it.

Mona123 and Raspberry, I want to find an alternative to roller setting but for now roller setting it is. I have ditched traditional setting -- haven't done one of those in about year now. I pony set and that works just as good.

How often do you tension blow dry Ras?

irisak

divachyk when you rollerset, what do you do with the part that was in the ponytail? I tried it and didn't know what to do with the part that was creased from the ponytail holder.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
KiWiStyle, Raspberry,
Funny, I woke up this morning and brushed all my hair back and decided to put my hair in a bun. I may even wash tomorrow b/c I've been scratching my scalp since waking up this morning.

I've seen Nairobi products in the bss. I used to use the Nairobi Foam Wrap and I really liked it. As for as the Influance brand, I want to say the owner used to work for Dudley's and ventured out on his own and started his own company.

I think stretching a relaxer is a good thing. It was kind of rough the last 2 weeks. I definitely was antsy once I got to 13 wks post. But, I'm glad we hung in there to 15 wks. My next stretch will probably be around the same length. I have a goal to move over to the APL challenge around the end of July, specifically a goal date of 7/28/12 I cut my hair last year on 7/28 down to an EL bob after giving birth to my son. I have a goal of growing my hair from EL to full SL (back only, not bangs) on or before that day.

Are you close to reaching APL? How many more inches do you need?
Raspberry, where are you on your hair journey?? What is your hair goal length for 2012?

xu93texas

Remember this conversation?! I'm so glad we hung in there again, we did it girl!

If this stretch is as successful as the last one, I'm going for 24 weeks. Because it'll be winter, I'll be wearing a full wig after 16 weeks and wearing plats underneath.

Last edited:

sunnieb

Wow! I'm so glad to see this thread is thriving! You ladies are the best! :grin:

I'm sitting here airdrying after a cowash and being frustrated with my 12+ week post hair. I'm really missing my scalp, but I'm going to try and hold out for another few weeks.

My goal is to relax on August 11th @ 15 weeks post.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Raspberry said:
KiWiStyle I think you mean 24 weeks.. I was like hol' up, are you going natural? :lol::lol:

Raspberry

LOL! I'm glad you caught that...yes I meant to say 24 weeks. Going natural is in my loooong term future hair plans but until then I'm happy to be growing healthy relaxed hair.

divachyk

Raspberry, sounds like you have the blow drying down so keep doing your thing since it's working.

irisak, are you trying to wear your hair down after roller setting? After removing the rollers, I apply moisturizer/sealer/jbco to my roots/pin curl the hair. By morning the crease is a not an issue for many reasons -- 1) Pin curls helps the creases to smooth out. 2) I typically wear my hair in a protective style. 3) For the days when I wear my hair down, I never wear it all hanging. I grab a handful of hair and pin it in the crown and let the back hang.

Did that help? If not, let me know.

McBrides3

Hey have any of you guys used the Donna Marie or the bee mines moisturizers and if so which products

Also if you have used both lines which one did you prefer. I like to use one for my moisturizing and sealing and one for braid outs and Bantu knots.

Thank you

xu93texas

I've found a new pre-poo treatment. :lick: I did the Island Breeze Pre-shampoo treatment (recipe from Hair Care Rehab book) last night. My hair is so soft and it was so easy to detangle my ng at almost 15 weeks post! The shedding was very minimal. :grin:

xu93texas

Hey have any of you guys used the Donna Marie or the bee mines moisturizers and if so which products

Also if you have used both lines which one did you prefer. I like to use one for my moisturizing and sealing and one for braid outs and Bantu knots.

Thank you

McBrides3,
I've only used one product from Donna Marie's product line. It was the Moisture Mist. I had good success with that product.

I've used plenty of products from the Bee Mine product line. I really like her moisturizers and the Bee Mine Curly Butter (I used this for bantu knots and braid outs). My favorite moisturizers are Deja's Hair Milk and the Bee Mine Luscious balanced moisturizer. I've also used the Bee Mine Be Lovely hair and scalp moisturizer, the Bee Mine Juicy Daily spritz, and I'm currently using the Bee Mine growth serum.

xu93texas

Great relaxer results @Cattypus1!

@KiWiStyle I like how you've been experimenting with styles, very cute :)

@xu93texas I'd have a hard time not eating that banana protein mask lol. I was skimming through the hair recipes in Hair Rehab last night... I might try one, maybe. I'm usually not motivated to do all that mixin for hair treatments. The only thing I'm going to do more often is pre-pooing with coconut oil since the practice proven to prevent protein loss.

@baddison Still hanging in there?

=====

I'm in week 3 now, things are going well. Since my roots are unusually thick due to being underprocessed last time, I'm going to start cowashing exclusively from the rest of the stretch. I have a lot of good products now and want to see if co-washing, plus moisturizing my NG with heavier butters makes a big difference.

Raspberry, glad to hear that things are going well with your hair. How have you been styling your hair since relaxing??

Omg, you've got to try a few of those recipes. I mixed up one last night and it didn't take long at all and the results were great!

xu93texas

@Raspberry

LOL! I'm glad you caught that...yes I meant to say 24 weeks. Going natural is in my loooong term future hair plans but until then I'm happy to be growing healthy relaxed hair.

Good to know that! I plan to transition once I get to a certain length. We can be transitioning buddies as well. :lol:

We're 15 weeks post today. :grin: I haven't scheduled my relaxer appointment. I'm still debating about when to relax. I'll figure it out and definitely let you know.

xu93texas

@xu93texas

Remember this conversation?! I'm so glad we hung in there again, we did it girl!

If this stretch is as successful as the last one, I'm going for 24 weeks. Because it'll be winter, I'll be wearing a full wig after 16 weeks and wearing plats underneath.

I remember that conversation. We did it. I hope to stretch longer as well next go around. I can't believe you're going to wear a wig!! Did you find one that you really like? I need to buy a few more. I get tired of them so fast.

divachyk

Thank you

@McBrides3,
I've only used one product from Donna Marie's product line. It was the Moisture Mist. I had good success with that product.

I've used plenty of products from the Bee Mine product line. I really like her moisturizers and the Bee Mine Curly Butter (I used this for bantu knots and braid outs). My favorite moisturizers are Deja's Hair Milk and the Bee Mine Luscious balanced moisturizer. I've also used the Bee Mine Be Lovely hair and scalp moisturizer, the Bee Mine Juicy Daily spritz, and I'm currently using the Bee Mine growth serum.

xu93texas
I use all those you've mentioned except the growth serum. I love the product line!

McBrides3, I didn't have any luck with the DM Super Buttercream or whatever it's called.

irisak

divachyk said:
@Raspberry, sounds like you have the blow drying down so keep doing your thing since it's working.

@irisak, are you trying to wear your hair down after roller setting? After removing the rollers, I apply moisturizer/sealer/jbco to my roots/pin curl the hair. By morning the crease is a not an issue for many reasons -- 1) Pin curls helps the creases to smooth out. 2) I typically wear my hair in a protective style. 3) For the days when I wear my hair down, I never wear it all hanging. I grab a handful of hair and pin it in the crown and let the back hang.

Did that help? If not, let me know.

@divachyk that helps a lot. Im so style challenged that half up half down never even occurred to me lol. So if you were to wear it all down you would need to mohawk rollerset?

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

Last edited:

McBrides3

McBrides3,

Wow I think that I may try the bee mines products then. I hear a lot of good things about them. What do you use the hair milk and the luscious balance moisturizer for?

Stillsaddity

I'm four weeks post today and my edges are mess! Is there something that I can use to tame these for the next 12 week? Suggestions please...

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Stillsaddity said:
I'm four weeks post today and my edges are mess! Is there something that I can use to tame these for the next 12 week? Suggestions please...

Get your hands on some AOHC from Qhemet and a silk scarf. A silk tie might be even better.

baddison

natural for good
Wow! I'm so glad to see this thread is thriving! You ladies are the best! :grin:

I'm sitting here airdrying after a cowash and being frustrated with my 12+ week post hair. I'm really missing my scalp, but I'm going to try and hold out for another few weeks.

My goal is to relax on August 11th @ 15 weeks post.

Girlllll....I'll be right behind you!! 18weeks post on August 19th....whoohoooo! :yay:

xu93texas

Wow I think that I may try the bee mines products then. I hear a lot of good things about them. What do you use the hair milk and the luscious balance moisturizer for?

I used both of the products as daily moisturizers. The Luscious Balanced Moisturizer does contain protein. If your hair likes protein, you can use it daily. If I did a braid out or bantu knot set, I would apply in this order:

Deja's Hair Milk
Bee Mine Curly Butter
seal with a light oil

xu93texas

@xu93texas
I use all those you've mentioned except the growth serum. I love the product line!

@McBrides3, I didn't have any luck with the DM Super Buttercream or whatever it's called.

divachyk,
I love this product line as well. Right now I'm only using the growth serum. I'm using the DB transitioning creme and products from Shescentit and Miss Claudie's. Once I'm done experimenting, I'm definitely going back to Bee Mine.

Have you done your Coconut Creme conditioner mix yet?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I've found a new pre-poo treatment. :lick: I did the Island Breeze Pre-shampoo treatment (recipe from Hair Care Rehab book) last night. My hair is so soft and it was so easy to detangle my ng at almost 15 weeks post! The shedding was very minimal. :grin:

i have to try that one out in a few weeks, sounds delicious:lick:

Status
Not open for further replies.